Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Automaton Announces CryEngine Licensing for Mavericks, a 1000 Player Battle Royale - General News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAutomaton Announces CryEngine Licensing for Mavericks, a 1000 Player Battle Royale - General News

Automaton is currently building an open world shooter MMO called Mavericks that will support up to 1,000 concurrent players. Today, the company also announced a licensing agreement with Crytek to use the CryEngine to build the game with integrated SpatialOS.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Hopefully they've done their research on the cost of using SpatialOS. It has been known to surprise certain studios :wink:
    MadFrenchieLinifwinghaven1
    --------------------------------------------
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    wasn't Planetside 2 pretty much the same thing?
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i'll believe it when I see it..
    RueTheWhirl
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130
    This is going to be a wild year for Battle Royale games..These things can seemingly be churned out extremely quickly

No story, no dialog, no complex progression systems, just a big map and some guns.
    Whiteshade92qoma
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    To bad they can't remake something that was as fun as Enemy Territory for me...

Fortnite almost had it with the 5 teams of 20, then they remove it and toss it up once a month or some crap
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

no one like futuristic weapons. WW2 or modern guns are best.
    Dauzqul
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    So long as they don't switch to lumberyard, I'm sure their experience with CryEngine will be just peachy. ;)
    WellspringDarkagesrertez

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Arskaaa said:

The only thing futuristic about about PS2's weaponry was shiny designs. Beyond that, 100% basic ballistics with fancy tracers giving the appearance of something next level.
  • Whiteshade92Whiteshade92 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I really don't want to see anymore battle royale. I don't really now why millennials like battle royale genre.
    AlomarTxChiefTybost
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Promises in games is like............
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• harrijc3harrijc3 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Looks like another bandwagon royale.
    Dauzqul
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited March 2018

Arskaaa said:

wtf you talking about?... Halo? Destiny?

i think what people didn't really like about PS2 was the fact that you never truly "win". its a continuous back and forth, and after a while you feel there is no point in taking over the same exactly place, for the 100th time....
    [Deleted User]SomeHuman
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited March 2018

harrijc3 said:

Looks like another bandwagon royale.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    So, they expect 1,000 players to simultaneously play on a game running a visually impressive engine which has infamous performance issues. Meanwhile, Crytek themselves are on the brink of collaspe, meaning that if they want to update the engine after that eventuality, they have to switch to Lumberyard.

*Grabs popcorn.*
    [Deleted User]
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    this all sounds great, but how are you going to combat the cheaters? that is all i care about anymore when it comes to shooters, im tired of cheaters ruining the games.
    [Deleted User]
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I'm more interested in Vallhal, BR with vikings \o/
    [Deleted User]
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    First it was WoW bandwagon, then MOBA's, progressing to Survival Games, and now...its fucking shit tier Battle Royale games.
    SomeHuman
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Torval said:
    Signex said:
    They seem like a natural fit for each other. Highlander would be another perfect IP for BR. It's a no brainer. :lol:
    As I said in the MMO settings thread, BR is the only way to properly do Highlander. The "there can only be one" permadeath aspect of the series means that it is perfect for BR and impossible to do justice in any other multiplayer gamestyle (though in single player or co-op you could make it a rogue-like or Diablo style game.)
    [Deleted User]
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited March 2018
    Aeander said:
    Torval said:
    Signex said:
    They seem like a natural fit for each other. Highlander would be another perfect IP for BR. It's a no brainer. :lol:
    As I said in the MMO settings thread, BR is the only way to properly do Highlander. The "there can only be one" permadeath aspect of the series means that it is perfect for BR and impossible to do justice in any other multiplayer gamestyle (though in single player or co-op you could make it a rogue-like or Diablo style game.)
    Everyone starts with a passive and when you lop someone's head off, you take all their powers.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    How many Battle Royal's do we have now by the way?
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I have 0 interest in this battle royale genre, but that's more players than the majority of modern "mmo's" can handle these days. So, it might be enough for me to give it a shot out of sheer boredom with the lack of decent pvp mmo's recently.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Yeah but I think a major feature of PS 2 was shooting somebody, killing them, running around a corner, and dying to that player you just killed because of rubber banding and desync.
    Phry
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Weird how the gaming genres and the people change so much over a few years.

FPS games were best played 1 on 1 ,nobody cared about 100...1000...2000 players.

FPS trying to add rpg elements,rpg's adding fps elements,what it all adds up to is when you are no longer capable of making quality games for that genre,try and mix and match and hope something sticks.
    What battle Royale games do is hide really bad players.If this was the old days of Unreal Tournament or Quake those players would show up on some scoreboard 1 kill 50 deaths.
    Run around with zero effort picking up free loot.Pew pew pew,,hide behind rock,bandage up.pew pew pew,hide behind fence ,bandage up,rinse and repeat,FUN,,WOW,,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:
    Alomar said:
    I have 0 interest in this battle royale genre, but that's more players than the majority of modern "mmo's" can handle these days. So, it might be enough for me to give it a shot out of sheer boredom with the lack of decent pvp mmo's recently.
    Because MMOs today have different design goals, as they can be very profitable by puttiny players in smaller group instances.

They cant handle 1000 players in one area because that is simply not something they intend to ever do - except for CU, as high number player battles are something they want.

So a feature that was never the aim of most modern MMOs is not in games - this is surprising how?

Why worry about small or large instances?  Just ensure the cash shop is enticing. #Fin
    Asheram

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I saw the title and thought of Mel Gibsons western comedy Maverick and thought hmm this might be interesting but then saw its just another modern day shooter.

So how do you win? Kill 999 other players and just how long will that take? And if you die early do you have to wait out 998 more deaths to get a reward? This sounds like it could be a lagfest which might be somewhat workable in an mmo but in a shooter?

How long did MAG on the ps3 last?