Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are You Proud to be a Gamer? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    There is one great thing about the horror of unemployment------------There's lot's More Hours Of Gaming
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I'm always amused when some Nascar, basketball,  fantasy football fanatics, or their ilk get to revving on some other hobby's un-importance. 

It's all convolution....
    [Deleted User]

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    To be honest, gaming today has become so mainstream that the days of having to be ashamed for it are over. It's not just the tech nerd in the corner that games, everyone does it nowadays, you friends, your boss, your pizza delivery man, your accountant, etc.

It's no longer for the kids, there are nowadays more gamers older then 36 then younger gamers, women make up nearly half the gaming population and even though some types of games still have more woman playing them this is chancing fast for the newer generations.

In other words, if you are still ashamed of gaming today then you need to wake up and realize that its 2018. When you wear your gaming enjoyement with pride, you'll quickly find out that no one will really think of you less because of it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited March 2018
    Shana77 said:
    To be honest, gaming today has become so mainstream that the days of having to be ashamed for it are over. It's not just the tech nerd in the corner that games, everyone does it nowadays, you friends, your boss, your pizza delivery man, your accountant, etc.

It's no longer for the kids, there are nowadays more gamers older then 36 then younger gamers, women make up nearly half the gaming population and even though some types of games still have more woman playing them this is chancing fast for the newer generations.

In other words, if you are still ashamed of gaming today then you need to wake up and realize that its 2018. When you wear your gaming enjoyement with pride, you'll quickly find out that no one will really think of you less because of it.
    oh that's so not true.

Yes there are more "regular people" playing "phone games" or web browser "whatever" games, but I can assure you, though one should never be ashamed of things that give them joy, being in a room with professionals or academics and going on about video games will get you stony silence at best and some laughter and scowls at worst.

I've said this before but If I had the time I wonder how interesting it would be to go out into the city, camera and mic in hand and just ask people on the street. What would those responses actually be.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Warframe or give me death! ^^
    [Deleted User]Sovrath
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    edited March 2018

Ever feel bad that those 72 hours you just spent grinding during a long weekend could have been better doing something productive? What better way to make yourself feel better than to waste another 12 hours writing a feel-good apology.

The hard facts: Most people here are more-or-less functioning drug addicts. Kicking this addiction is hard, especially when you can come up with so many "good" things about it. Make no mistake however, all those things you claim to have done, you haven't. You may try to pretend and make yourself believe you have, but really, you've just been wasting away precious time for the most part.

Rather than doing something that involves 90% time-waste and 10% good stuff (relationship building, socializing), focus more on activities that are 90% good stuff. That way when you do waste a bit of time on yourself, you don't have to write poorly written articles attempting to justify it.

I've read this type of crap too many times and I'll respond the same way I always do; any moment you spend enjoying yourself isn't a waste of time.  And I'm not saying that gaming can't be destructive if taken too far.  What I'm saying is there's nothing innately more valuable about the other activities you mention over gaming.  It's up to each individual to find satisfaction in their own lives.  If gaming does that for them, that's a win.  Some people don't enjoy being social and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

We're all gonna die someday and every moment we spend between now and then being happy is a personal win.  The premise that gaming is wasted time is a faulty premise based on a false supposition.  If gaming brings you joy, it is time well spent.

I almost want to agree with you, unfortunately its your definition of joy and your relativistic approach in general that bothers me. Your same line of thinking allows anyone to apologetically "waste" their entire life away doing almost anything. Picking your nose till it bleeds, staring blankly into a monitor with no power, or to an extreme, shooting up heroin all day and "enjoying" that. Your argument stems from what I feel is a disgusting value that we've managed to assimilate into our society. There are "good" things. There are "bad" things. Not everything is what we want to make of them. Rather than seeing life as one giant shitty shade of grey, we would be much better off trying to focus on whats really "joyful" in life. Maybe from a teleological sense, what puts us on our path towards fulfilling our endgame as a human being. If you think that " doing whatever I want that makes me "happy" is your endgame, then you are just plain wrong. . . . . ... back to popping heads in Overwatch.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    Shana77 said:

oh that's so not true.

Yes there are more "regular people" playing "phone games" or web browser "whatever" games, but I can assure you, though one should never be ashamed of things that give them joy, being in a room with professionals or academics and going on about video games will get you stony silence at best and some laughter and scowls at worst.

I've said this before but If I had the time I wonder how interesting it would be to go out into the city, camera and mic in hand and just ask people on the street. What would those responses actually be.
    Recent true story, last year during an agile team formation exercise I had to share one fun fact about myself along with two lies and the group had to guess which was true.

I briefly thought of adding Online role playing gamer but instead went with "scholar of the Bible," which of course, few guessed right on that one.

Most thought I was a sports fan, which shows my "cover " is working perfectly, I only keep up to date enough on sports to keep a banter going with my peers, I actually hate all sports, well at least watching them anyways. 

If they only knew my "true nature," in my off hours "I slay dragons!'

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Sovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    As an older millennial, the females I know all tend to view video games negatively.  However, this is not the case everywhere, and males tend to view it as merely another one of a multitude of possible hobbies.
    Sovrath

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

I'm a 70 year old woman. Been a gamer for 16 years and play with all ages. Love it. Hey, I say....Gaming, it's the new Bridge!

And here I am a lady in my mid '50s and I get odd looks from folks IRL when I mention that my hobby is gaming. I am going to use your line if you don't mind about gaming being the new Bridge!
    atonico
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I'm a 70 year old woman. Been a gamer for 16 years and play with all ages. Love it. Hey, I say....Gaming, it's the new Bridge!
    As a gamer I'm considered to be old and as a bridge player I'm still young. Nowadays I consider myself to be more of a bridge player than as a gamer. The difference between the two is that bridge is always a competition while gaming is far more casual.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I play enough, I'm good enough and doggone it, people like me.
    MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Grunim said:

And here I am a lady in my mid '50s and I get odd looks from folks IRL when I mention that my hobby is gaming. I am going to use your line if you don't mind about gaming being the new Bridge!
    Another funny story, after my Dad retired he was really bored and has never owned a computer. 

I convinced him to buy one but he had no use for it until he discovered multiplayer, online Bridge.

He was in heaven, however his wife told me he got chat banned a lot because he was too aggressive and angry,  something not permitted in real life games (he got warned in those occasionally).

I guess online anonymity really does bring out the worst in people.

;)
    Sovrath[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Shana77 said:

oh that's so not true.

Recent true story, last year during an agile team formation exercise I had to share one fun fact about myself along with two lies and the group had to guess which was true.

I briefly thought of adding Online role playing gamer but instead went with "scholar of the Bible," which of course, few guessed right on that one.

Most thought I was a sports fan, which shows my "cover " is working perfectly, I only keep up to date enough on sports to keep a banter going with my peers, I actually hate all sports, well at least watching them anyways. 

What do you think would have happened if you said "I slay dragons"?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Yah.. with WoW's general acceptance and e-sports now making us look like steroid junkies.. being a gamer is socially acceptable.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Kyleran said:
    Grunim said:

Another funny story, after my Dad retired he was really bored and has never owned a computer. 

I convinced him to buy one but he had no use for it until he discovered multiplayer, online Bridge.

He was in heaven, however his wife told me he got chat banned a lot because he was too aggressive and angry,  something not permitted in real life games (he got warned in those occasionally).

I guess online anonymity really does bring out the worst in people.

;)
    You would be shocked if you ever heard the kind of arguments that can go on at a bridge club, words like "you are a moron" and "wtf are you thinking" are quite common. Its a real joy hearing couples play and hearing things such as "you are completely brain dead" after things didn't go their way.
    ScotPhaserlight
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I would not say I am proud, but I certainly am not ashamed.
    BruceYee
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TalorionTalorion Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Fantastic article. proud ofc :D
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Yay! Tim’s back!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited March 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Shana77 said:

oh that's so not true.

What do you think would have happened if you said "I slay dragons"?
    Probably think I was making some sort of obscure "Art of War" reference I guess...

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    This article is kind of cringe, but at the same time, people 10-15 years older than me, probably find themselves in this position more often than not. There are people I won't tell as well sometimes
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't feel any pride as such, that I am a gamer is just part of me like the color of my skin or the fact that I listen to metal.  I certainly don't hide it or feel ashame of it, my friends and my workmates know I game.

I really don't see why there is a big deal about it, some people collect stamps, others buy old cars and fix them up, I game. I don't think anyone called me a nerd or reacted negative on it, at least not to my face. Well, in the 80s that happened a little but it was considered weird to game back then, now there is so many gamers that people got used to it anyways.

I been both playing pen and paper and computer games since I was a kid.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Enjoying arts and entertainment doesn't need to bring pride. I have never said I am proud that I am listening to music! If I ever to play music yes, I'd be proud. Or if I to understand the artist, then again I feel a bit proud. Works the same with video games. 

Same goes for feeling ashamed. 

Now that's in general. But if you listen to Justin Bieber, believe Avengers is a cinematic masterpiece, and secretly play Barbie Hero then yes, you should be ashamed! ;)

Loke666
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    What's with the choice between pride and embarrassment? Can't I just like games and not really care what others think about it?
    Kind of like how I like to poop, but don't really care what others think about it?

Enjoying arts and entertainment doesn't need to bring pride. I have never said I am proud that I am listening to music! If I ever to play music yes, I'd be proud. Or if I to understand the artist, then again I feel a bit proud. Works the same with video games. 

Same goes for feeling ashamed. 

Now that's in general. But if you listen to Justin Bieber, believe Avengers is a cinematic masterpiece, and secretly play Barbie Hero then yes, you should be ashamed! ;)

Hey, wait now, I like the Avengers....Infinity War is almost here.

Not every movie can be "The Shape of Water"
    [Deleted User]

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Thanks Tim. As a 47 year old female gamer, I can really only talk to people who are 20 or more years younger than me about gaming. Even some of the mid-20s don't understand how I can "do that stuff all day." Then they glue themselves to netflix or hulu for hours.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran