Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon about todays live stream

1235»

Comments

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    edited March 2018
    I still play EQ1, not a huge amount anymore, but still do, Iksar necro, and I was and still am a bit pumped about this game........HOWEVER..I believe I could of streamed myself in EQ1 trying to arrange a afternoon tea and buns with some Kobolds, and getting into a bit of an argument about picnic rugs and it still been more engaging and interesting.
    (Spoiler alert, we settled on tartan rug ).

If I was going to use a cliché to try and express the feeling I got from viewing this, Soulless would be it, it isn't bad its just MEH at the moment I am hoping this is the old pre level 20 MEH that always effects this genre.

But I got to me honest the stream actually was a bit of a negative for me. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Letsinod said:a MMO
    It just won't work in todays gaming environment.  I'll be damned if I have 3 hours to game a night and spend a hour finding a group and setting up.  Then get half way through something to find out 2 people need to go.  Nope...I lived that back in 99-2003 and it wasn't fun then.

Watching the video there was nothing about the combat needing special timing or challenging about it.  It looked like if the healer had mana then they were ok.  Otherwise they died.

We've hardly seen any of this game 5 years into development.  They will never be able to create the amount of content that will be needed.  People will poopsock the crap out of what is available at launch super quick.

Nope it just won't work for you is what you mean, right?

Wait are you saying you know what works for others and the time they have to play this game. How arrogant are you that you think you can speak for everyone else because of your own situation. 

I'm intending to take my time and put years into the game, slow gains but way more appreciated and satisfaction on how I aquired my loots. 

[Deleted User]jpedrote52[Deleted User]Gyva02Gdemami

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    Are you seeing what is wrong with the picture, are you getting my analogies?
    Um...the wrong is your tunnel vision and from your analogies one can get you are not able to make valid analogies?

It is the same story as always - small indy game is released and couple vocal 'die-hards' are telling others to go play something else until there is no one left to play with...
    This is exactly what is occurring here.  Anyone who has any questions about this is being encouraged to go someplace else.

pantaro

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited March 2018
    Here are 10 things I liked about the stream:

1. Use of torches as light sources. It's been a long time and I missed that.

2. The Wraiths looked really sharp. 

3. Wizard spell effects looked cool (though they would be more cool if I could see them in flight).

4. The dungeon floors and walls were impressively realistic.

5. The clothing, armor and weapons looked nice.

6. Seeing the giant spider go all Yoda on the group was fun. Can't wait to fight that thing.

7. Hearing that testing is going well is welcome news.

8. Hearing that they are in Pre-Alpha 2 of 3 is also welcome news.

9. The overall ambiance of the encounter was solid.

10. The mobs were never push overs. Great to be challenged again. 

Oh and I almost forgot - climbing!
    UngoodAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    1 the armor has light sources and ALL games have light sources,albeit many much worse with only global lighting.

Mobs.how did you figure not pushovers, i didn't see them do anything,i didn't even notice accuracy/missing ,it just looked like mobs with high hit points.

That is a big problem i have with these kind of showings,they need to do a better job of explaining what details are relevant.

Example...

What level is the mob compared to the players,are they using any accuracy items/food etc etc.Are there any types of resistances/weaknesses,are there player to play er combos that matter and not just "do combo to get more dps".

There is so much to talk to your audience about,to let them know your game has depth and not some cheap generic game,however most never tel us anything,leave us hanging.
    pantaro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited March 2018
    Ungood said:

I mean coming into a Pantheon Community saying you don't like the game and expectoration some warm welcome and being taken into the fold is like going to a dog show and telling everyone how you don't like dogs and expecting everyone to welcome you into their dog loving community. 

I wasn't aware "The Pub" was a "Pantheon Community". Because that's where this was posted first and got most of the answers before some smart (but slow) moderator transferred it here.
    Of course, maybe you weren't aware of this, so I forgive you ;)

This topic is in the Pantheon Sub Form.. not the general PUB... when I posted here

Just FYI..
    VestigeGamer
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    Um...the wrong is your tunnel vision and from your analogies one can get you are not able to make valid analogies?

It is the same story as always - small indy game is released and couple vocal 'die-hards' are telling others to go play something else until there is no one left to play with...
    Ok.. Lets dispense the analogies, and cut the real point.

You can feel anyway you want about a game, Going to a form fussing that you don't like a game is an obvious cry for attention.

Here is the wake up call.

No one is obligated to hear you out about it, No one gives a shit why you don't like a game that they like, and finally no one is going to try and talk you into playing a game you don't like.

So there is no discussion at this point.

Simple enough?

The fact that people suggest that you spend your time and effort finding things you enjoy, as opposed to pissing on their parade, is a real polite way to ask a troll to leave.

SovrathGdemamijpedrote52VestigeGamer[Deleted User]AlBQuirkydcutbi001
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited March 2018
    As to the "weak heroes" issues, you may want to consider the so-called heroes in this stream would normally be wielding rusty weapons and tattered scraps of armor at this level. Do not let their appearance and flaming swords confuse you, those characters will probably look far less heroic at launch.
    dcutbi001

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There are two really hard parts to making a great game,the assets and the systems.The assets especially need a rather large team.

All of the design must go hand in hand.Lots of armor/weapon choices to offset lots of depth in mob designs and combat choices.

The idea we heard bantered around in EQNext "storybricks" is sort of the way the genre needs to go but of course does not have to be the actual storybricks program,not at all.

A complicated "random" system can eliminate data mining,google searching.Each player would have their own random individual paths to uncover secrets/quests,to open up new conversations by discovering lore and personalities etc etc.

You know what we keep seeing>>>>>grab sword/shield,go to dungeon,find boss hope for good loot.Such a lazy boring design is what we have been given time and time again.How about open up the world and it's npc's,quit leading every single player through the exact same identical path,equaling single player game designs.
    Mendeldelete5230LokeroAlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Wizardry said:
    There are two really hard parts to making a great game,the assets and the systems.The assets especially need a rather large team.

All of the design must go hand in hand.Lots of armor/weapon choices to offset lots of depth in mob designs and combat choices.

The idea we heard bantered around in EQNext "storybricks" is sort of the way the genre needs to go but of course does not have to be the actual storybricks program,not at all.

A complicated "random" system can eliminate data mining,google searching.Each player would have their own random individual paths to uncover secrets/quests,to open up new conversations by discovering lore and personalities etc etc.

You know what we keep seeing>>>>>grab sword/shield,go to dungeon,find boss hope for good loot.Such a lazy boring design is what we have been given time and time again.How about open up the world and it's npc's,quit leading every single player through the exact same identical path,equaling single player game designs.

Agree, 

With easy mode of the last eight years or so, why does it matter if a weapon hits 200 or 400 or fast heals requiring lots of mana or slow heals.... None of this matters when things die in two shots then move on to the next...... your right, all lazy.  Investors want the game out the door ! 

The last stream shows us they have a LOT of balancing work ahead of them, where the easy games none of that matters. 
    Gdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Wizardry said:
    1 the armor has light sources and ALL games have light sources,albeit many much worse with only global lighting.

Mobs.how did you figure not pushovers, i didn't see them do anything,i didn't even notice accuracy/missing ,it just looked like mobs with high hit points.

That is a big problem i have with these kind of showings,they need to do a better job of explaining what details are relevant.

Example...

What level is the mob compared to the players,are they using any accuracy items/food etc etc.Are there any types of resistances/weaknesses,are there player to play er combos that matter and not just "do combo to get more dps".

There is so much to talk to your audience about,to let them know your game has depth and not some cheap generic game,however most never tel us anything,leave us hanging.
    1) Not noticeable to me, these days. One no longer needs torches and many games have done away with "light spells" of any kind.

2) Did you even watch? I watched Cohhcarnage's stream and he played a Rogue. On his screen scrolled words like "miss" and numbers like "4, 7, 15." When that one wraith activated its damage aura, Cohh's rogue was getting red numbers as his health went down with every hit.

Mobs I think were level 15 while the characters were level 14 and a couple "ding'd" while in the dungeon. I believe that was mentioned quite a few times throughout the stream, for many people in chat wanted to know, too.

No food was used, but some items gave bonuses to "something." Cohh looked at a couple of loot items and compared them to what he had. I didn't see very well what was what, though.

Resistances/weaknesses were not mentioned. I did not see anything like that, but could have missed it. This is pre-alpha, so I have a feeling that these are later stage items, not basic ones in place right now.

Player to player combos I did not see and have a feeling that's a gimmick that may not be present. Why would there be? Also, what kinds of combos "would matter" other than more DPS? A combo controlling move? A combo taunt for confusion? I just don't see an implementation of something like that, but I'm sure it's been done.

And they did talk to their audience. They may not have answered all the questions posed, some not having an answer yet. Again, I have to ask, did you even watch any of the stream or YouTube video, like more than 10 minutes?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Wizardry said:

While I see where you're coming from, and agree to a point, I have to ask... Is programming in millions of different paths even logical? EQ did not do this, and Pantheon talked about some NPCs for every class having to be found in order to get the skill they teach, just like an old wise man sitting on a mountain top. The developers said this will lead to some players getting those skills and some not.

Everyone strives to be "different", in video games and in life. Unfortunately, there are 7 billion people on this planet and many thousands of players in MMOs. "Uniqueness" can only go so far before repeats/copying start appearing.

There is also the other players to consider. If I ask a rogue to join my party, I want to know they have a backstab ability and can handle traps and locks. Otherwise, I'm giving other players a "skill checklist" and having them fill it out before inviting.

It's fun to try to be unique. It's also quite unobtainable.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    short term it may be a issue with everyone wanting to level grind and every things new unexplored but anyone worth their salt will seek a guide for rare skills if their needed an hard to find with no help.

also if their "core" to the class doubt they be rare or hard to find spells back stab for a rogue, or resurrection for a cleric are not going to be rare hidden quest, versus  maybe root/mez cleric spell or small dot/dd poison for rogue mit be rare if not sought out.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    kertin said:
    So many excuses that it's Alpha :smile: ...looks boring, can't see any impact when hitting, animations are meh, full of bugs (which is fine for alpha), very slow combat (and yeah I mean very VERY slow), design of that dungeon is bad too imo - looks boring and stereotypical, optimization doesn't look good too....yeah it's alpha, pre-alpha, whatever but there is no chance they can fix all those problems, this is not next big MMO coming out, honestly I'd rather play Vanguard over this...still gonna keep my eyes on this but as I said they can't fix some of those issues
    Alpha, Its pre-alpha pure internal build. Go wait for some other games then, I can care less about your impatience. 
    Mikeha
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    kertin said:
    So many excuses that it's Alpha :smile: ...looks boring, can't see any impact when hitting, animations are meh, full of bugs (which is fine for alpha), very slow combat (and yeah I mean very VERY slow), design of that dungeon is bad too imo - looks boring and stereotypical, optimization doesn't look good too....yeah it's alpha, pre-alpha, whatever but there is no chance they can fix all those problems, this is not next big MMO coming out, honestly I'd rather play Vanguard over this...still gonna keep my eyes on this but as I said they can't fix some of those issues
    Lol, I love ignorant comments.  Goes to show how ignorant you're when it comes to alphas/pre-alphas.  
    Gdemami
    Azmodeus said:
    kertin said:

I basically disagree with just about everything you said.  That being said, maybe the game will not be for you?  There are TONS of games which seem to have what you are looking for.  Am I wrong by saying this was never designed to break record MMO sales?
    Ignore his comments.  Judging a game that's in early development is like judging a car that's still on the assembly line still adding parts/removing parts.  Too early to judge. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    A bit boring so far. I keep watching.

EDIT: by boring, I mean nothing I've seen so far makes me want to log into that game immediately and play one of those characters.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Azmodeus said:
    kertin said:

I basically disagree with just about everything you said.  That being said, maybe the game will not be for you?  There are TONS of games which seem to have what you are looking for.  Am I wrong by saying this was never designed to break record MMO sales?
    Ignore his comments.  Judging a game that's in early development is like judging a car that's still on the assembly line still adding parts/removing parts.  Too early to judge. 

I agree, 

The streams show that's early in development, very early, more so than most of us were expecting I would guess.

Good or bad for public relations ?........... That's hard to say !  

On one hand VR needs financial backing and support but early footage could be a let down for many. It's kind of like this:  

You could buy a rusty car and have full intentions, and in your own mind you know your abilities of restoring it...... To others, they could be saying no way...... Only you know !  

Brad and his team are slow masters, they have a "Vision"..... I believe them, lets hope they can scale the money accordingly to complete this project :)
    Azmodeus said:
    kertin said:

I agree, 

The streams show that's early in development, very early, more so than most of us were expecting I would guess.

Good or bad for public relations ?........... That's hard to say !  

On one hand VR needs financial backing and support but early footage could be a let down for many. It's kind of like this:  

You could buy a rusty car and have full intentions, and in your own mind you know your abilities of restoring it...... To others, they could be saying no way...... Only you know !  

Brad and his team are slow masters, they have a "Vision"..... I believe them, lets hope they can scale the money accordingly to complete this project :)
    Or, could just be exactly what they continue to say it is... Them being transparent with development, even if it looks "bad" in some peoples eyes, its because its still super early and that's something that they've already said in multiple streams.  They know it has issues, they know not everyone likes it, it's something they've preached since they started.  It's almost as if its a I dont give a shit attitude to what people think and I like that. 

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. In my case, its still super early in development and I hope to see further improvements with the animations.  If the improvements to the spell graphics and animations are any indication of whats to potentially come with the fighting animations, Im excited because the new spell graphics look awesome!  If people would just be patient and give it time instead of jumping to conclusion so damn early, it would be nice to see.  Unfortunately, that won't happen...ever