Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soulbound Studios to Show Off Character Creation in Livestream Event Today - Chronicles of Elyria -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageSoulbound Studios to Show Off Character Creation in Livestream Event Today - Chronicles of Elyria - MMORPG.com

Chronicles of Elyria News - Soulbound Studios developers will be on hand for a Chronicles of Elyria livestream starting at 12:00 pm Pacific / 3:00 pm Eastern today in the CoE Twitch.tv channel. The stream will be focused on the first iteration of the character creator and provides a chance for viewers "help us craft unique Elyrian characters".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I dunno....I find these character models...disturbing. What's with the overly huge eyes? Maybe it's a thing for one of the game's races?
    MendelDakeruAlbatroesSlapshot1188wingoodMadFrenchie[Deleted User]infomatzjusomdudeAlomarand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    SBFord said:
    I dunno....I find these character models...disturbing. What's with the overly huge eyes? Maybe it's a thing for one of the game's races?
    they went full anime! lol
  • OpinicusOpinicus Member UncommonPosts: 34
    They all look like they have been hypnotized. They only need to open their mouth a little and you have the complete look.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    I would say that this is why developers need a marketing person or some such person to vet content shared with their community.

To developers this might seem like a great thing because of the work they have put into it. But what is the community going to see?

One can say "it's a work in progress" all they want but unless what they share is "good/enticing/interesting" then it's not going to achieve the appropriate response.

I was going to say that the first pictures was showing a slice of them working with the creator, working with iris size, etc.

But looking at the other examples it's clear that their avatars are more stylized yet not really stylized enough to seem interesting.
    Mendel[Deleted User]Gdemami
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    One of the things for any MMO that amuses me is that what you think of as your face is not what people see. On a monitor you select what you want on a head that's about half the size of a real one. When you get in game you rarely see anyone's head up that close.

That's why I tend to focus on hairstyle and beard, people clock that even if they don't take in much else.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AnOldFart
    Scot said:
    One of the things for any MMO that amuses me is that what you think of as your face is not what people see. On a monitor you select what you want on a head that's about half the size of a real one. When you get in game you rarely see anyone's head up that close.

That's why I tend to focus on hairstyle and beard, people clock that even if they don't take in much else.
    Actually I always go very close with the camera and check out other avatars. I can't be the only one.
    Dagon13YashaXmystichaze

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    How many shrooms did they give that poor guy?....you took too much man....you took too much.
    [Deleted User]BruceYeeinfomatz
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Scot said:

And if wearing a helmet it makes everything rather moot.

Combined with the fact 95% of the time I am looking at the back side of my character, I don't worry about customization outside of perhaps the "butt" slider.

;)
    [Deleted User]YashaXScotAnOldFart

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    pantaro said:
    SBFord said:
    they went full anime! lol
    It's like the Battle Angel Alita movie which I believe will come out this year.

It's just not a good design choice outside of Anime.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited March 2018
    Zenislav said:
    If you look at their web site you will see different tribes. It is their version of player races. There is one tribe that has small humanoids with big eyes just like one on screenshot. Rest of tribes have "normal" eyes. This is first time I looked at their site or at anything about this game and it took me 2 minutes to figure it out. It is not that hard.
    It's not hard but it's not obvious.

Having a regular ol' human but "for some reason" the irises are larger doesn't necessarily spark the "oh wait it's obviously another race" reaction. But as you can see, it does spark the "oh wait, that looks horrible" reaction.

They pretty much just posted that without context.

What they could have done was have "human" under one and "blah blah another race name" under the other and that would be clear and wouldn't invite confusion.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiYashaX

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited March 2018
    Even this avatar looks like it doesn't want to be in this game.

That's the face of someone who has had too much of an edible.

My reaction when I saw this picture

My reaction to this game in general

Me: Hey avatar what are you doing with your life?
    Avatar: Nothing, I feel dead inside.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    pantaroKyleranDakeruBruceYeeSlapshot1188bobbymcswansonAsheramEponyxDamorFlyByKnight[Deleted User]and 5 others.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    They need to show more hot ass to sell this game.. I swear I must have downloaded a crap ton of walking simulators because they showed me some girl with a hot ass walking along.
    KyleranGolelorn
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited March 2018

SBFord said:

Now you can create your Alita Battle Angel character in game.

DakeruUngood[Deleted User]infomatz
    Ungood said:
    They need to show more hot ass to sell this game.. I swear I must have downloaded a crap ton of walking simulators because they showed me some girl with a hot ass walking along.
    Well you know, for many gamers it isn't the eyes that they want to "oversize."

UngoodGolelornsakerJamesGoblinAsheram

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Well you know, for many gamers it isn't the eyes that they want to "oversize."

Many games already have sliders for that.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

SBFord said:

Hey just be happy that they didn't copy the rest of the game and have "eye" selection locked behind a paywall. Your first life you get grey eyes. Your second you can get Grey or Green, third opens Blue, then Purple, etc...

Then again, game's not out yet so don't rule that out either.

But I agree with the earlier poster about a marketing guy. If this is the best they can show after all this time...

I mean, most games go forward in what they present. Go back a year or so and they were showing things like a demo dungeon... go back further and you have the "Princess Bride" sword fight.

Now you got... "deadeyes" character creator and an oft delayed soon to come Elyria Minecraft type Alpha.

Dunno.
    YashaXAnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Personally, i just don't like my games to look 100% like real life. I know I am not in the minority considering how popular minecraft style games are.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    This guy looks he was trying to smuggle 10 sheets of acid in his shirt and started to sweat.
    DakeruYashaX
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232

Golelorn said:

Personally, i just don't like my games to look 100% like real life. I know I am not in the minority considering how popular minecraft style games are.

I dont really see what Minecraft has to do with MMO's. I understand that certain animation styles age better, and those are usually not the ultra realistic ones.

But Minecraft??? You are right, it is SUUUUPER popular. With 12 year olds.

I liked playing with lego when I was a kid too. Doesn't mean I want to play an MMO with yellow people and removable heads.
    Kyleran
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    To think, that someday we might have people (or maybe robots... or maybe hybrids?) that actually have eyes this large from genetic engineering/AI fiddling.
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

And if wearing a helmet it makes everything rather moot.

Combined with the fact 95% of the time I am looking at the back side of my character, I don't worry about customization outside of perhaps the "butt" slider.

;)

That's why I never wear a helm (never a fan of them anyway) and always try to have a hairstyle which from the back will look distinctive, that's more for other members of the group/guild, so they know which one is me.

These days though outfits in some games can be so distinctive being easily spotted is not an issue like it once was.
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:

Actually I always go very close with the camera and check out other avatars. I can't be the only one.

Ok now you are just being a stalker. :D
    KyleranAsheram
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    yes tits and ass pls.

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I found this game around a week ago, and in that time I have found that this is the kypiq who love in dense canopy and therefore have larger eyes due to the lack of light.
    Now I might not agree that a lack of light would cause the eyes to look like that I understand where they are coming from.

Next what do I see in that picture, yes if I look through the rose tinted glasses of what I have seen in other mmorpgs I see an unanimated, emotionless character model,
    If I look through an adults eyes who understands world is not black and white or that not everything looks good until it's finished then I see a work in progress that actually looks half decent, with a lot of potential.

Scot said:
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:

Ok now you are just being a stalker. :D
    Its OK, as long as when he does it he isn't trying to imagine them without any clothing or gear on.

;)
    ScotAsheram