Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer Update: Launch Status - Sea of Thieves Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageDeveloper Update: Launch Status - Sea of Thieves Videos - MMORPG.com

Rare developers have taken to the airwaves to talk about the issues affecting Sea of Thieves after a rather rocky start. Studio Head Craig Duncan and Executive Producer Joe Neate discuss server load, delays in player rewards, delays in receiving achievements and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Hummm .. do I dare say .. Stormy seas for Sea of Thieves? Well this could be a good thing .. Not many games have a great first day without a few issues.
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Played the beta and was very little to no PvE content. Not sure about the full game.
    SignexSlapshot1188Samhael
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Needs more content. Pretty thin ATM.
    SignexAlomar
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    They ve already stated the game will get an influx of content. As it stands now, it s an absolute blast of an open world game.
    MikehaholdenhamletjgDuffayValdheim
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Angry Joe playing right now on twitch ,should be good feedback.

Word is the game has so litle content just a basic pvp game,so we will see.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I was considering trying this.  I think I'll give it a month to work out the kinks.

• Reaperman69Reaperman69 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    hmmm this game is just not fun imo. too much simple task takes away the fun.
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    It's borderline shocking the lack of content this game has. It's almost like they laid the foundation for the game (ships, ocean, sea mechanics) and then left it barren. Sort of like No Man's Sky. A friend in early 2017 was playing the Alpha and commented on the lack of content but I thought certainly after a year they would add it. Not sure what they've been up to this last year.

I own the game and enjoy it for the unique experience there is but for pete's sake, there's only just skeletons in the game. Obviously they may add content later but realistically how much content can it be post launch in patches. This was their chance to make a good first impression and I'm really surprised after so many years and a lot of hype how Rare dropped the ball.
    Whiteshade92SignexSamhaelAlomar
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited March 2018

Soki123 said:

They ve already stated the game will get an influx of content. As it stands now, it s an absolute blast of an open world game.

I thought they stated that there would be more content at game release, is there more content than the last beta at which they stated there would be more content? I know I heard in one of their dev blogs they said there would be different mobs added in the future aka skeletons with a different look.

They got that professional look that gets the $60 box price regardless if it offers 90% less content than the witcher 3 did for $50.
    SamhaelAlomar
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    From the sound if it, seems like a cash grab. They must have thought the game could ride on it's base concept at launch, but without content.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I played the free trial last night with a friend and whilst i could imagine the simple quests would get boring quite quick I had a riot.

Starting off we sailed around doing some of the basic missions, that was ok, we had fun learning the ropes so to speak.

But...
    The game really came into it's own when we saw a sail in the distance, first players we had seen so we thought we would say hello.

So we got to the anchored ship just as it's pirate was returning, jumped across to say hello and the guy shot at me straight away ow this wasn't nice but I persisted and eventually got him to see we were there peacefully, but he didn't really chat, so we thought stuff this stole his treasure and ran.

still rather basic I hear you say,
    well yes it was, until we, minding our own buisiness, was approached by another ship, who opened fire and tried to sink us, this led to a good hour of fun, cat and mouse, cannon fire, boarding actions, ramming, sinking and good old fashon (yet polite) trash talk.

It was some of the most unstressful gameplay I've had for a while

mgilbrtsnValdheim
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    AnOldFart said:
    I played the free trial last night with a friend and whilst i could imagine the simple quests would get boring quite quick I had a riot.

Starting off we sailed around doing some of the basic missions, that was ok, we had fun learning the ropes so to speak.

But...
    The game really came into it's own when we saw a sail in the distance, first players we had seen so we thought we would say hello.

So we got to the anchored ship just as it's pirate was returning, jumped across to say hello and the guy shot at me straight away ow this wasn't nice but I persisted and eventually got him to see we were there peacefully, but he didn't really chat, so we thought stuff this stole his treasure and ran.

well yes it was, until we, minding our own buisiness, was approached by another ship, who opened fire and tried to sink us, this led to a good hour of fun, cat and mouse, cannon fire, boarding actions, ramming, sinking and good old fashon (yet polite) trash talk.

I'm sure there's at least some fun to be had, as there is in almost any game. Although not $60 worth of fun like seems to be the case with this one.
    edited March 2018
    jusomdude said:
    AnOldFart said:

But...

I'm sure there's at least some fun to be had, as there is in almost any game. Although not $60 worth of fun like seems to be the case with this one.
    Atm I agree it's why I'm on the free 14 day trial, I may pay 7.99 for one month subscription to Xbox gamer thingy to get a bit more time on it.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    is it out for windows. when i went to the website to buy, all i see is xbox.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    is it out for windows. when i went to the website to buy, all i see is xbox.
    Yes it's in the Microsoft store with a free 14 day trial
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Not sure why people say there's no content, there's content, it just doesn't amount too much, in the sense that your only goal is cosmetics. While I know people like cosmetics, it being the only goal isn't very fun. SO I see it as it's content people don't want than it has none.

If the progression was more like dark souls where you can go anywhere and have a go, but would be easier once you get more items and gear from chests and skulls i;'m sure people would think otherwise imho
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I've been having a blast with it. Melee combat feels horrible, range combat is fine. The sailing mechanics are spot on and the game is beautiful. I believe I was playing it for 8 hours straight yesterday.

It's one of those games where it's the journey that matters the most, not necessarily the destination.

Played as a group of 3, working together to get where we needed to go. Looked at the map, grabbed the heading, lowered the sails, weigh anchor, off we go. Angled the sails for maximum speed then started playing shanty's as we explored the world. See another ship, do we go for it lads? Aye, let's smack them around, then we're in to a full chase. 3 man crew vs a 4 man crew. We drop anchor whilst turning, like on Pirates of the Caribbean and make a sharp turn to broadside, start pounding their ship. Eventually, we put so many holes in them they needed to stop and we sailed off satisfied. A bloody great time.

Tried one of those Fort events as well. It was mediocre, purely because Melee combat feels awful when being surrounded by 8 Skeletons. The reward, after a buttload of waves, was worth it though.
    AnOldFart
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Troller/gankers paradise. So long as people know what they are getting into I am sure there are those that will enjoy it.
    bobbymcswanson
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Was really hyped to play this with friends a year ago, but as its launch got closer and more info became available on it not a single one of my dozen or so friends were interested anymore. Definitely not worth the price and needs significantly more content and progression to interest me, what a shame.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I had an absolute blast playing last night.

I decided to go solo on the small ship. The voyage I decided to do was from the npc that sends you out to kill certain mobs. I found the island where the mob was said to be haunting and after killing a few waves of skeletons he then appeared. I killed him and got his skull to turn in for a reward. I then noticed a bottle in the sand with a note in it. It gave me a location of another island with about 6 X marks the spot locations.

I first went back to the outpost and turned in the skull for a reward. Then I said out to the island that the I got from the bottle to see what was there. I found 2 chest and said to my self that I need to go turn these in before I get robbed.

When I made it back to the port I saw a ship already there. They starting shooting at me so I rammed straight into them. Boarded their ship and killed them both.

What I would like to see is a guild system for some politics. Housing would be nice also.

So far I love the game.
    AnOldFart
  • JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127
    So far so good.

While the content isn't overtly deep or complex, it does have it's layers and charm. The higher your ranks in the 3 guilds, the more complex and interesting the PvE content seems to get, whether combat or puzzle solving is your thing. Merchant's guild though is right out the most tedious of boring tasks I've tried to do.

But even with it's simplicity it is a pretty fun time when played with friends.
    Mikeha
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    edited March 2018

Played the beta and was very little to no PvE content. Not sure about the full game.

Played the game and was the same very little content. Not sure that this is a game at all.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Having fun a lot, playing with 3 friends, like it a lot.
    Mikeha
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Elsabolts said:
    Having fun a lot, playing with 3 friends, like it a lot.

Best PVP game to come along in a years. The sense of wonder and exploration is unmatched. 

I will admit its light on content and Rare will have to drop some soon but the foundation is solid and I look forward to seeing what they add to the game in the future. 

I really would like to see a guild system with the sails displaying the guild icons where alliances could be formed. Guild Housing would be nice also.