Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what kills PC gaming and mmo’s

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
i fried my alienwares graphics card, so i decided to replace it with a gaming desktop.. nothing fancy, just a system to game on 1080p

ryzen 5k, 16GB, GTX 1060, 500Gb SSD..
costing me a whopping €1400
just the PC, witouth monitor, keys, mouse, extra storage etc etc..
i feel ripped

no wonder that everyone sticks to consoles, and controllers..  and MMOs designed for controllers just cant keep up with MMOs designed for keys and mouse..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Octagon7711Gdemami

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Well RAM and GPUs are overpriced.
    It's not a good time to upgrade now.

It's not going to kill PC gaming btw.

..Cake..

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Before all this coin mining crap you could get a better than console system for around the same price as one.
    Gobstopper3DberenimScotanemo
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Meh, PC gaming has always been a fairly expensive endeavour, a long time ago someone once postulated the PC you really want costs around $4K.
    I
    With inflation he's low, saw a laptop the other day with a base price of $5360 that I would've liked 

In pricing what I could live with,  $3500 to $4K is still about right. 

As there are no games I'm currently interesed in requiring that sort of expense I'm going to hold off unless my laptop blows up as OPs did.

Fortunately my video card blew with 1 month left on the 3 year warranty and I got it replaced for free.  

Scotch tape and rubber bands until prices come back down.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's all relative. Depending on your financial situation.  Be glad your hobby is gaming instead of collecting classic cars.
    KyleranUngoodQuizzicalScotanemojimmywolfKilraneGorwe

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    i fried my alienwares graphics card, so i decided to replace it with a gaming desktop.. nothing fancy, just a system to game on 1080p

i feel ripped

no wonder that everyone sticks to consoles, and controllers..  and MMOs designed for controllers just cant keep up with MMOs designed for keys and mouse..
    That is nuts.

I just bought a PC for one of my kids a few months ago.
    16GB RAM
    500 GB SSD
    2GB HD
    cheap ass KB,mouse etc...including Windows

$1151 with free shipping. And I was disappointed I couldn't get it cheaper (but was still cheaper than buying my own parts which sucked)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited March 2018
    I still do 1080 on a i5 2500 with an AMD 7800.  The only thing that I would like to run better is Total War Warhammer.  I think I could buy what i have now for a b out $400 (used) I think if I spent $1000 CDN I would be super thrilled. . .

BUT. .

Despite my card fans going I am waiting as long as I can until memory and cards come down.

I think it is pretty subjective. . maybe you should go for that resolution in between 4K and 1080?  

Also consoles don't have steam sales. . humble bundles. . easy web browsing.  I use my PC all the time for a lot of other things althought it is primarily gaming.  The idea of buying a dedicated console just throws me off.  I have a Wii U and because it was OLD. . I cant get new games or the DLC for my son for lego games.  The PC I use that I bought well before that can still play new games and the old ones just fine.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    "Still do" an 1080?.. lol.. that's a top tier card dude :)

..Cake..

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523

i feel ripped

Dude... Mac users START at at least 2.5K and they can't even get a gaming rig no matter how much they spend.  You're complaining because PCs cost too much money?

Let me get up off of the floor over that one!
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Besides.  Who says you have to pick one ?  :)

We have 4 Desktops, 2 XBOX ONES, a PS4, a Wii and a Switch!

This isn't Highlander...  there CAN be more than 1!

pantaroSBFord[Deleted User]Moxom914k61977

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    It's all relative. Depending on your financial situation.  Be glad your hobby is gaming instead of collecting classic cars.
    as a life long car enthusiast i think about all the money i've spent on cars whenever anyone complains about pc gaming prices and just kinda giggle. PC gaming is like a financial vacation to me lol

The True beauty of PC gaming is it can be whatever you want it to be unless your a graphics whore that is lol

Always build it yourself and only spend what your comfortable with
    [Deleted User]Vynt
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I also prefer the freedom of the PC.  You can use your PC for other things and you have more control over the games settings so you can fine tune them to your preference.  You can also play most of your old games you brought.  If you want to you can have multiple OSes installed.  Systems like consoles, tablets, etc. with closed OSes offer very little in terms of freedom of choice.  I usually like to use Windows as it is fairly easy and has good support for games.  Desktop versions of Linux are nice, but they have never had many native games.  Personally I feel I'd like to cut down on the number of electronic toys in my life.  I've always been into technology, but I have grown a bit tired of it.  Having one device where I can create, customize, and consume is worth it for me.  Once a console generation ends you have to get new games or remasters in most cases.  Either that or you are a slave to streaming or closed OSes.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Still rockin an AMD FX 8350 build that I did in 2013.  They only thing I changed was the GPU because it died last year. I bought a GTX 1060 of Amazon for about $200. At 1080P I can run anything max or near max settings and get 60FPS or close to it. 

I just bought a Xbox One X and a Samsung 40 inch 4K HDR screen for $630 off Newegg a couple weeks ago. 4K HDR looks amazing in games, movies and even YouTube videos that support it. 

I will keep pc gaming but the days of me spending a lot on PC parts is over. My next build will be less than $500 but I will be using current parts like my GPU, Power Supply and SSDs. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706

i feel ripped

Do you have any evidence that the higher price of PC gaming is "killing" it?

Because all previous evidence from the last decade states that PC gaming is growing and growing fast. The general PC market is in decline due to the rise of smartphones and tablets, but PC gaming is bucking that trend and the market is growing rapidly. 

Just do a quick google and you'll see the results. 
    pantaro
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    sgel said:
    "Still do" an 1080?.. lol.. that's a top tier card dude :)

He was referring to 1080p resolution, his card is AMD 7800 as stated.
    [Deleted User]
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    The price is high, but then again, that's why we are the gaming gods! Consoles kiddies! Pfft! I laugh at the kniggets!©MontyPython ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    What sony and nintendo lose due to the low prices on their hardware they take back on console owner fees on games.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I feel you. And the thing about income is not really an issue. I'm comfortable to buy a high-end PC again and again, and I'll when an mmo launches that I really would want to play. But for now I won't. Because the extra frames or prettiness doesn't justify a jump from a $400 console to a $4000 PC. That's just me. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

i feel ripped

I've always found that the system I wanted costs around $2000.  No matter if it was my very first computer in 1980.  I've occasionally spent less than that, but always wanted the 'better' system.  Our tastes and desires change, while the target stays the same price.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited March 2018

i feel ripped

We build a custom machine for my fiance this year that cost 1200$ and can multi-client ArcheAge up to 6 times before it starts to really kill the FPS. I'm still getting by on a far less powerful rig.

PC Gaming is expensive but it doesn't have to be THAT expensive. 
    MadFrenchie
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Pc gaming is still a very cheap hobby given how many hours you put into it.

Plus pc controls >> console for some games.

Also, going out with friends is way more expensive
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You are of course not talking about serious TCG gaming are you?

Try costs of around 200-300+ per expansion of which 3 per year,so easily 500+ for one year of gaming lol.You are forced to immediately spend or have inferior cards and take TOO long to become competitive with all the cards.
    Cost of a computer,internet costs,very high here in Canada.Then we see all these people buying gaming chairs,gaming mics and whatever else goes with streaming the games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Yeah... but can you buy PC games as cheap as 25 cents as on console?

Have fun paying 40-60 bucks for a game title you might not even enjoy.
    BruceYee
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Let's not forget subscription to play games online.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Shaigh said:

Let's not forget subscription to play games online.
    Some online games. Just like back when I did Xbox live I had to pay a monthly fee for it but I didn't for Playstation.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wizardry said:

You are of course not talking about serious TCG gaming are you?

Try costs of around 200-300+ per expansion of which 3 per year,so easily 500+ for one year of gaming lol.You are forced to immediately spend or have inferior cards and take TOO long to become competitive with all the cards.
    Cost of a computer,internet costs,very high here in Canada.Then we see all these people buying gaming chairs,gaming mics and whatever else goes with streaming the games.
    I am talking about $ per hour. It is mad cheap. Even if someone spends 5k a year on video games, their $/hr is still relatively low compared to other hobbies.people on this site average what 20 to 30 hours a week. So 1000 to 1500 hours a year. So the cost per year is likely a few dollars per hour for the average hobbyist.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.