Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let the pre-Alpha cash shop items flow...

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    Ungood said:
    Evony as you describe from 9 years ago, sounds a lot like CoE today. :wink:

Instantly become king with all the troops in your kingdom at your disposal. Instantly buy unlimited weapons and siege equipment through the exposition phase. By defeating someone you can take their resources, kill their npcs, and destroy their buildings. 

A non-paying player who amassed enough in game resources to finally build themselves a tiny farm would stand no chance defending themselves against a baron, let alone a king. 

Unlike Evony.. as a peon with my tiny farm in someone else's kingdom, I am protected by the King that dumped a fuck-ton of money into their land, and all the Surrounding Dukes and Duchess that also dumped a shit-ton of money into the land .. so.. it's like they are paying for me to win..

Kind of a unique thing.

It only becomes a problem for the whiny freeloaders that want their own Kingdom but don't want to pay for it.. IMHO.. suck it.
    Boy, you have a lot of faith in people.

Even in the reality of true medieval times, there wasn't a universal truth that those in power will do anything to stop your demise, particularly if they feel you can be easily replaced.

So, the enemy focuses on murdering you personally, without destroying the farm.  Your king doesn't give a shit, because there's a shit ton other gamers who will farm it.  You, however, are literally forced out.
    LinifKyleran

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    For me, P2W means the ability to convert $ into any in-game advantages.

Using a game from my history, EQ1, as an example, I would consider that a P2W game in it's current form. The ability to buy subscription time (krono), and sell it in-game to other players is 100% P2W in my book. Also, the exp bonus potions they sell.

Having said that, I didn't stop me from playing EQ1 when they released the new progression servers, knowing full well that those P2W items would be in place.

The gameplay out-weighed the negatives for me. However, I did not try to convince myself that it wasn't P2W.
    That is not even coming close to P2W in my book.. I mean that is like that all the way on the other side of the scale in the "It's a cute way to charge a sub fee" kind thing. I can't even grasp how that is P2W being so far removed from what P2W is to me.

I don't see the way someone "wins" in this case, I mean, player 1 spends money (Sub fee) and player two used their in-game gold to buy that sub-fee, sounds like a fair trade of goods and services IMHO, and allows some players to keep a sub going without needing to pay money, sounds like those people are the real winners in that situation.. I get to literally play the game on someone else's quarter.

EXP pots, are just a speeding up the process in my book, they don't allow anyone to beat me, unless we somehow agreed to race to some level, otherwise, LOL, not an issue for me, I don't play PvE games against other players, I play them for myself. I don't gauge my progress against others.

Even in MMO's that have PvP, as long as the system is balanced, 90% of the stuff people cry about being P2W is not even close to what we had to deal with in Evony and other games like that, there is no "Buying a Win", just some minor BS that can be either overcome with good game play, skill, or simply, time, as max level in MMO;'s kinda defeats the EXP pot issue. 
    I guess we just have different P2W books, and that's fine. :wink:

In my brief research of Evony's business model, I don't see how you consider that P2W and not EQ1's exp potions.

With my (extremely) limited understanding of Evony, there is nothing to stop the non-paying players for getting whatever the paying players have gotten. Speed is the only thing that is the advantage you can buy.

Which is exactly what you're getting from EQ1's cash shop -- a reduction of the time-sinks, i.e. in-game speed.

Sure, the two games have vastly different degrees of P2W, but whether you go over the speed limit by 1 mph or 100 mph, you're still speeding.
    Lets start off.. No.

Maybe Evony today is not as bad.. which I would believe, but 9 years ago when I played it.. oh the P2W was something amazing to witness, literally, defeating anyone was simply a matter of how much you were willing to spend.

Case in point, paid troops were unique to the cash shop and better then anything the free trash could get, not to mention you could buy additional troops to deploy which was not an option unless you paid into the game. IE: You were hard capped on how may troops you could send based on your city size, this gave an illusion of fairness, as a defender could always have more troops then an attacker,. but, you could pay cash for more troops to deploy and thus buy the ability to easily overwhelm even the strongest free defenders.

Not to mention you could also buy full recovery of your troops and even bring them back to life, if slain, which was not a free option at all. Couple that with instant deploy options, you could literally drop an Army twice the size any free player could make, having more powerful troop options then they could get their hands on, and even if they survived your attack, you could heal and restore all your troops and instantly deploy them again all within another few moments. Now, while that sounds like "Time" keep in mind, defeating someone took their resources, killed their troops, and destroyed their fortifications. 

Yah.. hardly similar to something like an EXP pot in EQ1, unless that EXP pot directly stole your EXP and give it to the person that drank the pot.

.. if it did that.. you would have a great argument that it was P2W.

Gonna bet.. Not.. 

Instantly become king with all the troops in your kingdom at your disposal. Instantly buy unlimited weapons and siege equipment through the exposition phase. By defeating someone you can take their resources, kill their npcs, and destroy their buildings. 

A non-paying player who amassed enough in game resources to finally build themselves a tiny farm would stand no chance defending themselves against a baron, let alone a king. 

Unlike Evony.. as a peon with my tiny farm in someone else's kingdom, I am protected by the King that dumped a fuck-ton of money into their land, and all the Surrounding Dukes and Duchess that also dumped a shit-ton of money into the land .. so.. it's like they are paying for me to win..

Kind of a unique thing.

It only becomes a problem for the whiny freeloaders that want their own Kingdom but don't want to pay for it.. IMHO.. suck it.
    Hey, I may be whiny,  but I'm no freeloader.  I just want to be able to buy my advantages post launch, not pre.

B)

sounds like you don't want to take a risk with your cash?

So if your not willing to take the risk why should you reap the same reward???

Nothing against you btw, counts to anyone who thinks they should be able to purchase what someone else did when they took all the risk and you sat back?
    I generally save my risk vs reward choices for actual investments.

I make no apologies for not crowd funding games, "my momma didn't raise no dummies."

Besides don't you know all the pre launch people did so out of the kindness of their hearts, right? 

Also, none of that stops me from advocating for a system that is more favorable for ME post launch, influencing is something I do best. 

Some of you have so much to learn, and there's so little time.

;)

Hey never said I had backed it, I have better things to spend my money on, you know wife, children, hell even beer (and that's from someone who suffers from gout...)
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    True and not true.

The King could simply decide he doesn’t like you. So could the Duke, or the Count.  They could just make your life miserable.  Maybe they hated what you wrote on a forum...

What protection do you the single farmer have if the King decides you are unwelcome?
    Well, maybe if you were a lowly farmer, you might want to refrain from telling your King and Surrounding Dukes to suck your dick.

All jokes aside, welcome to politics and drama. This is really not much different them pissing off your Guild or Clan leader, and being thrown out of the guild/clan. 

Never Bite the Hand that feeds you.. Guess some players will need to learn to how to enjoy some humble pie.

Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:

Nothing against you btw, counts to anyone who thinks they should be able to purchase what someone else did when they took all the risk and you sat back?
    I generally save my risk vs reward choices for actual investments.

I make no apologies for not crowd funding games, "my momma didn't raise no dummies."

Besides don't you know all the pre launch people did so out of the kindness of their hearts, right? 

Also, none of that stops me from advocating for a system that is more favorable for ME post launch, influencing is something I do best. 

Some of you have so much to learn, and there's so little time.

;)
    I also have not backed the game, but I understand that there is a price I will pay for that as well.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:

Kind of a unique thing.

Boy, you have a lot of faith in people.

Even in the reality of true medieval times, there wasn't a universal truth that those in power will do anything to stop your demise, particularly if they feel you can be easily replaced.

So, the enemy focuses on murdering you personally, without destroying the farm.  Your king doesn't give a shit, because there's a shit ton other gamers who will farm it.  You, however, are literally forced out.
    Beyond the pretty much ginormous waste it would be to kill a farmer just to get into farming, as opposed to you know, buying land from a local Duke and just making your own farm.

Beyond that, there is a good chance in CoE that most farmer players also have Military Alts, and would be more then willing to come back to that "farm", kill you, your spouse, any children you had, and then burn the whole place down in spite.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited March 2018
    Ungood said:
    True and not true.

The King could simply decide he doesn’t like you. So could the Duke, or the Count.  They could just make your life miserable.  Maybe they hated what you wrote on a forum...

What protection do you the single farmer have if the King decides you are unwelcome?
    Well, maybe if you were a lowly farmer, you might want to refrain from telling your King and Surrounding Dukes to suck your dick.

All jokes aside, welcome to politics and drama. This is really not much different them pissing off your Guild or Clan leader, and being thrown out of the guild/clan. 

Never Bite the Hand that feeds you.. Guess some players will need to learn to how to enjoy some humble pie.

The point is that Kings aren't just PAYING FOR YOU TO WIN as you put it.  They are paying in order to set the rules which you will have to follow.  That will include such lovelies as taxes which you will have to pay, and the creation of laws which you will have to follow.  As a farmer try just saying "NOT MY KING" and ignoring those laws and taxes.  Let me know how much "winning" you do.

PS: We are getting a bit far afield here.

Are we all done with the Renewal Festival cash shop items?
    Personally I think the lamest part is that they post some made up lore Dev Journal about this festival and then 3 days or so later they open a shop to "celebrate" it.

I know... they need money.. blah blah...
    Just seems lame to me.

YashaXLinifKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Ungood said:
    True and not true.

The point is that Kings aren't just PAYING FOR YOU TO WIN as you put it.  They are paying in order to set the rules which you will have to follow.  That will include such lovelies as taxes which you will have to pay, and the creation of laws which you will have to follow.  As a farmer try just saying "NOT MY KING" and ignoring those laws and taxes.  Let me know how much "winning" you do.

Personally I think the lamest part is that they post some made up lore Dev Journal about this festival and then 3 days or so later they open a shop to "celebrate" it.

Just seems lame to me.

1: If you are going to play "not my King" in a despotic society .. you are stupid and deserve the beat down that is coming your way.

2: If you don't like the Monarch, the tax plan and the rules, don't buy land and try to set up a farm in that Kingdom, it's not going to end well for you. (It's not rocket science here)

3: We are all well aware that they set it up for themselves, they are not a charity, but I still reap all the rewards and benefits of their efforts.

So yes, they are paying for me to Win, in the sense I get access to all the monetary gains the land has, their armies protect my land form invaders, they build trade depots, roads, which I can use to transport goods, I get access to any other buildings or services they provide, like banks for example, and if I own land on the right nodes, enhanced resources become a part of my little set up.

So I get all kinds of Advantaged due to their money, advantages I paid nothing for. But they are not so daft as to pay for me to beat them. If I'm the Farmer and they are the Noble.. it should be pretty damn obvious how that ends if we disagree.

AnOldFart

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    True and not true.

Just seems lame to me.

1: If you are going to play "not my King" in a despotic society .. you are stupid and deserve the beat down that is coming your way.

2: If you don't like the Monarch, the tax plan and the rules, don't buy land and try to set up a farm in that Kingdom, it's not going to end well for you. (It's not rocket science here)

3: We are all well aware that they set it up for themselves, they are not a charity, but I still reap all the rewards and benefits of their efforts.

So yes, they are paying for me to Win, in the sense I get access to all the monetary gains the land has, their armies protect my land form invaders, they build trade depots, roads, which I can use to transport goods, I get access to any other buildings or services they provide, like banks for example, and if I own land on the right nodes, enhanced resources become a part of my little set up.

So I get all kinds of Advantaged due to their money, advantages I paid nothing for. But they are not so daft as to pay for me to beat them. If I'm the Farmer and they are the Noble.. it should be pretty damn obvious how that ends if we disagree.

Maybe you can setup another thread and we can discuss in detail. I still think you are only seeing one side. There are plenty of negatives.

How do you feel about them making up a Dev Journal with Lore about a Renewal Festival and then having a sale to “celebrate” that same festival a few days later?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:

Hey, I may be whiny,  but I'm no freeloader.  I just want to be able to buy my advantages post launch, not pre.

B)

Normally it would make sense that the company sells to anyone willing to buy, any time.

But for you and other CoE supporters this isn't about buying a good car, it's about buying a better car than your neighbor. You're making your purchases because you want to buy advantage that won't be sold to other players.
    Gobstopper3DAnOldFartYashaXKyleran

How do you feel about them making up a Dev Journal with Lore about a Renewal Festival and then having a sale to “celebrate” that same festival a few days later?
    brilliant marketing?
    mystichazeYashaXKyleran

Vrika said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:

B)

Normally it would make sense that the company sells to anyone willing to buy, any time.

But for you and other CoE supporters this isn't about buying a good car, it's about buying a better car than your neighbor. You're making your purchases because you want to buy advantage that won't be sold to other players.
    Not really, it's about having their faith in the developer before there is a game, being rewarded. Which makes sense.

As such It would be prudent for any developer to give them extra rewards that would not be available to just some random bandwagoner or drop-in.

Personally, I know CoE will need a cash shop post-launch. It is simply a question of what they will sell.

Vrika said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Kyleran said:

B)

Wait supporters? I assume you didn't see my second post prior to your reply (I can understand it was a few below the first post.)

I will explain my situation: I am here because it was the top of the discussions and seemed an interesting topic to discuss. (tbh there wasn'
     much of interest in the discussions was hoping to find more about mmorpgs...)

Therefore I try to keep my posts to what I know about the game which is very little, but I do understand the concept behind taking risk and receiving better benefits.
    Take for example those that got into Bitcoin 6 years ago, they adopted early and reaped the benefits because they took a risk...

I have tried to phrase my response politely but if I upset you I appologise.
    Ungoodmystichaze
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Ungood said:
    brilliant marketing?
    You mean scamming.
    Dleatherus
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    YashaX said:
    Ungood said:
    brilliant marketing?
    You mean scamming.
    What it's called depends on who on the receiving end, if it happened to me, I'd consider this a scam.

But since it happened to them, then yes, I would consider it "brilliant marketing"
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I really don't get this issue with "advantage". Only a small percentage of players can ever be nobles. The vast majority would never experience it regardless of whether it is sold or not.
    They will experience it every day when they have to obey the laws of the Kings, Dukes, Counts and Mayors who bought those titles right? Or when one of those declares you an outlaw (simply for not liking you) and you are forced to go find somewhere else to live... Or simply when you want to be a harvester and find that someone else has used real cash to buy a big supply of the hard to recover, finite resources... or that the nodes for this resource are on someonelse's property (that they bought).

People will experience this every single day.  To deny it is utter arrogance IMHO.

PS:  Remember that it has already been PROVEN that some of the highest donors will be the biggest trolls.  Just look back at the very first name reserved when they opened the name reservation process.   It was a "troll" attempt that "mortified" the developer.   
    https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/472034/studio-mortified-that-folks-are-using-their-pay-to-reserve-a-name-system-to-troll-other-players/p1
    The game hasn't even started yet.

So you deliberate misunderstood what I meant with "The vast majority would never experience it".

What you are talking about happens in every game. Has nothing to do with noble titles.
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    edited March 2018
    I'm apprehensive, regarding the current topic. (Don't get me wrong, making up lore then selling according to that lore DAYS later is just cheeky).

I remember a story of a game where the Devs gave a huge amount of ingame control to a guild (Specifically the Guild Leader) and they, of course, abused it. If you know what this is reference to, please remind me because I cannot, for the life of me, find it.

Point is, players can make for reasonable leaders on a medium scale. But with this much power and control, it often leads to them being total tyrants. Large Guilds, from my experience, have large egos driving them and these large egos personified quickly become horrible. It is their own personal fiefdom, I may choose to settle there, but I rather it not be a decision based on who is the shiniest turd in the s***hole.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited March 2018

What you are talking about happens in every game. Has nothing to do with noble titles.
    Not sure what games you've been playing, but from the list Slap gave, I've never experienced what was mentioned and i'm sure most gamers haven't either. If you mean greifing, then yeah, but then you have the option of moving to a PvE server, but even then it's not to the extent of the above.

From what he's said (i'll look it up myself to confirm it) Kings and higher rankers will be able to decide on how I play, where my money goes, where I live and if they don't like me, ruin my experience entirely with no escape as these seem like PvE mechanics. 

LinifSlapshot1188
    Herase said:

From what he's said (i'll look it up myself to confirm it) Kings and higher rankers will be able to decide on how I play, where my money goes, where I live and if they don't like me, ruin my experience entirely with no escape as these seem like PvE mechanics. 

They can't decide how you how or where you play. The game from my understanding is on a massive scale (if it works), so you can quite happily move elsewhere.

Remember if you live in a town it's the mayor who your responsible too, most mayors will probably give you land to build on (at the end of the day they need taxes to pay to the count, and to hire guards etc
    Your interaction with a count or king will probably be negliable.

As for having the ability to ruin your experience, yes they could but so could anyone else.
    A good mayor/count/duke/king will be one that defends any and all of their subjects and works with them to enrich their gameplay.

After all:
    More peasants = more tax
    More tax = more troops
    More troops = more power and more order
    More order = more peasants
    edited March 2018
    Herase said:

Not sure what games you've been playing, but from the list Slap gave, I've never experienced what was mentioned and i'm sure most gamers haven't either. If you mean greifing, then yeah, but then you have the option of moving to a PvE server, but even then it's not to the extent of the above.

I think he’s trying to complain that because only a small percent of people (only true if hundreds of thousands play) are nobles that it doesn’t matter if they bought their way there or not.  Of course it does. I listed just SOME of the ways these nobles will impact the play of the “commoner”. Having people buy that power before anyone even sets foot in game is just...  bad.

But some people like games where you can buy your advantages.  If so, this would appeal to them.   As I said before... having sold all kinds of crap pre-launch and then stopping at launch is IMHO the worst of all possibilities.   At this point they might as well just make the shop stay open post launch.

On that note, this weekend Caspien said that they could sell cosmetic items as long as those items could also be crafted in game.  Contrast that with the statements others made (Mystic comes to mind) that selling cosmetics would ruin the game. Now he hasn’t said there will be yet... but he’s now saying the COULD do it.  I’d love to hear those that said such a shop would ruin the game now say how it really is no big deal...

Caspien seems to be listening, and is seemingly coming closer to modern monetization requested by publishers.  

1. Spark cost likely going up to $35(17% over the previously announced launch price)
    2. Average lifespan now described as 8 months as opposed to needing a new spark “typically once a year”
    3. RNG SoulPacks
    4. Cosmetics possibly sold in cash shop

Wonder why :)

Edited to avoid silly argument over #2
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

Herase said:

<snip>

1. Spark cost likely going up to $35(17% over the previously announced launch price)
    2. Average life cut 25% from 12 months to 8
    3. RNG SoulPacks

Link? Or is this across multiple links from memory?
    Linif said:
    Herase said:

<snip>

3. RNG SoulPacks

The first 3 are from the SoulPack=Lootbox thread on here and the 4th is from their Discord. Can’t easily cut and paste the quotes on my phone.

Linif said:
    Herase said:

<snip>

3. RNG SoulPacks

The first 3 are from the SoulPack=Lootbox thread on here and the 4th is from their Discord. Can’t easily cut and paste the quotes on my phone.
    No problem, I'll just do the leg work and check for myself. Was just hoping it was all in one place for my own convenience. 
    Just search from:Caspian#3850 cosmetic
    Sat 10:14AM (not sure timezone)

Here you go for the new piece related to Cosmetics in the shop:

• NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited March 2018
    <snip>

3. RNG SoulPacks

#2 here is wrong

Originally different tribes and generic factors were planned to give your character a maximum of 10 - 14 months and that was changed to give all characters regardless of tribe or genetics a maximum of 12 months.

No where has it changed from 12 months to 8 months

Source:    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/20017/DJ-20-A-Tale-of-Twelve-Tribes

Direct quote:

"Note: One important thing which is not effected by Tribe is lifespan lengths. In the early designs of the game we'd had a random lifespan between 10 and 14 months to account for differences in genetics. But we've since done away with that, and given everyone a standard 52 week lifespan, regardless of bloodline or tribe."

Carry on
    edited March 2018
    I believe @mystichaze has stated 8 months average. I believe your numbers do not account for dying.  I’ll look it up
    Kyleran