Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - 10 for the Chairman Series

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited March 2018
    I also find it funny that I've been gone for months actually playing games and probably will be gone again soon and it's still FrodoFragins and Sgel predictably flaming every SC thread. If it's defenders are "white knights" what does that make to people who hang around the SC threads complaining about it constantly for months on end?
    Babuinix
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Eldurian said:
    I also find it funny that I've been gone for months actually playing games and probably will be gone again soon and it's still FrodoFragins and Sgel predictably flaming every SC thread. If it's defenders are "white knights" what does that make to people who hang around the SC threads complaining about it constantly for months on end?
    Entertainment.
    It's interesting to watch people try to defend things by presenting "you said we'd be gone in 90 days, we're still here" as an argument.

I frequent many forums and other sites and I play numerous games daily.
    It's funny that you think time starts and stops with a Star Citizen topic :)

..Cake..

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Eldurian said:
    If there weren't the continuously blatant attacks disguised as "criticism" from the same few there would be no need for "white knights" to "defend" them... There would be just the same posting of news about the game and it's development updates like in any other thread in this forum.

We had some calm weeks who curiously, or not, happened around the same time elite dangerous released an update who allowed all the lt.dan's to farm huge amounts of credits and make in a couple of days what people took years to get, since frontier corrected the "error" they're back to forum pvp against the "Star Citizen Believers" because it's more engaging than actually play elite, or so it seems. :D
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    sgel said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    sgel said:

<snip>

I'd also like you to show me these plenty of games that took longer than seven years to show something and it was worse than what CIG has shown us and they also had bigger budgets.

I bet you bring up the "but muh scope is bigger than your scope" argument at least once.

First off, I don't know why you think that scope is not an issue with this project. What don't you explain how scope isn't a problem? Scope is actually the biggest problem with this game. Period. 

As far as games that took this long, how about Cyberpunk 2077? It's not even of the same scope and it's taken longer to show anything, AND it was announced around the same time (2012). 

SWTOR is another that likely took at least 6 years. I mean who knew about Bioware working on an MMO as of 2006, so that would place it at 5 years and it was, apparently, in the works before that even. 

Some other notables that were at the 6 years or more were Star Craft 2, TF2, FFXV, D3, Morrowind, Fallout 3, Spore, STO. 

There is a plethoria of other games that are in the 5 year mark. All of these games ARE smaller in scope to what SC is. Whatever the technical difficulty is/was, it goes to show that these limitations can sometimes be non-trivial. So whether you're creating a massive game or something simple, it can make it take longer to get the job done. 

Also, one thing I think that people seem to use in their criticism of SC is money. Yes, CIG has lots of it. However, we are talking about multiple offices across multiple time lines, with larger teams. All of this stuff is not helpful. Go and google anything that you want on efficiency and each of these things would be on anyone's top 5 list. You might think that a larger team is better, but they actually output a smaller amount on a per-developer basis than smaller teams that are co-located and working in the same time zone. So you actually pay more for less productivity. 
    I didn't say it wasn't an issue, of course it is.. the guy has promised everything to everyone.
    I said you can't keep on using that as an excuse.. yet here you are using it as an excuse in the first comparison you make.
    What's the point in even comparing anything to Star Citizen then when Chris Roberts has promised a bazilion features? Nevermind that seven years onwards and he hasn't implemented even a fraction of them. Star Marine is garbage?.. doesn't mind because SCOPE. Flight Mechanics crap?.. doesn't mind because SCOPE.

SWTOR took 6 years, then released.
    Cyberpunk 2077 has taken 6-7 years and is releasing next year? iirc
    It also comes from a studio that has made one of the greatest RPGs ever made among others... so we'll probably receive a good product.. let's wait and see.
    All the others.. 6 years and then released. Key word is RELEASE.

Star Citizen has taken 6-7 years and is still in alpha and nowhere close to release.
    It's in a horrid state even for an alpha with lots of key features not even implemented.
    But again, doesn't mind because SCOPE.

As for the money part.. you seem to forget that the money CIG has they can do whatever the hell they want with. They don't have a publisher to put a leash on them neither do they have a deadline.
    They can literally release the game whenever they want as long as people keep on giving them money.. and up to now they do.

The fact that Chris decided to create all these offices all over the world is down to his decision.
    One of his many management blunders.

While the Twitter revved up, I believe there was an interview from late last year which said it wouldn't even be announced officially until 2019. So it's still totally up in the air. So it could end up being a 10 year dev cycle. Who knows! My guess, though, would be 2020. 

I can understand your frustration with scope being used as an excuse so often, but that's only because it really is. This isn't some sort of fictional problem. Could it have been handled better? For SURE!!!! Take a look at Elite Dangerous if you want to see how to handle projects of this size. I mean I'm not a fan of them segmenting their userbase across multiple software releases, but I suppose it's a good revenue model for continued development, and at least you have something to play while you wait. That being said, SC is still larger in scope than that even. 

In fact, we shouldn't be yelling about using scope as an excuse, scope is the issue. Oh, and, yes, that is a failure at the management level by CR and it likely stems from being overly ambitious. We heard talk about an MVP, but we're never going to see an MVP, we're going full-blown feature complete version whenever it's ready. The reality is that there comes a point when there is just no going back, and I think we blew past that point a couple years back. Once you've created these dependencies it's very difficult to go backwards. It's like framing a house. Once the frame is done, there is some stuff you can change, but the concrete is pretty much done and that's what you get. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited March 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Eldurian said:
    If there weren't the continuously blatant attacks disguised as "criticism" from the same few there would be no need for "white knights" to "defend" them... There would be just the same posting of news about the game and it's development updates like in any other thread in this forum.

We had some calm weeks who curiously, or not, happened around the same time elite dangerous released an update who allowed all the lt.dan's to farm huge amounts of credits and make in a couple of days what people took years to get, since frontier corrected the "error" they're back to forum pvp against the "Star Citizen Believers" because it's more engaging than actually play elite, or so it seems. :D

There's plenty of other threads with SC news postings.
    Sometimes when people post something, conversations arise.
    If you don't like reading other people's opinions then don't post in a public forum... go start a blog and disable comments.

As for your ED trolling again..I'll bite.

There's always ways of getting shitloads of credits if you know how to. This was just one of them. There are others less "op" but very good.
    You'd probably know that if your knowledge of the game actually involved something more than reading a few reddit posts.

I like how you assume when people post a forum reply, everything else stops.
    Babuinix

..Cake..

CrazKanuk said:
    In fact, we shouldn't be yelling about using scope as an excuse, scope is the issue. Oh, and, yes, that is a failure at the management level by CR and it likely stems from being overly ambitious. We heard talk about an MVP, but we're never going to see an MVP, we're going full-blown feature complete version whenever it's ready.
    Do you have a source for this?
    I thought an MVP was still the plan?

..Cake..

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Babuinix said:
    CIG will continue to develop Star Citizen and Squadron 42 within the leadership and vision of Chris Roberts .....
    Yes, this is true.  And that's why Star Citizen's development will continue to be inefficient, wasteful, disorganized, derivative, and very, very late.

Back in 2014 when predicting a 2020 release (and being attacked by ueber-fans for it), I didn't realize that was actually me being overly optimistic.

100 systems or bust!   Right?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    sgel said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    In fact, we shouldn't be yelling about using scope as an excuse, scope is the issue. Oh, and, yes, that is a failure at the management level by CR and it likely stems from being overly ambitious. We heard talk about an MVP, but we're never going to see an MVP, we're going full-blown feature complete version whenever it's ready.
    Do you have a source for this?
    I thought an MVP was still the plan?

No, I really don't, but the MVP is supposed to be the absolute minimum that you would need in order to introduce your product into the market. So if you look at things like multi-crew ships. That was probably something that could have been excluded from an MVP. Star Marine would be an example of another. 

So, sometimes what you get into is justifications for adding this stuff. It's like, "Well Star Marine is basically done, so why not just put it in?" However, it's the introduction of bugs, dependencies, and code to be maintained. So you do that with a few larger features like Star Marine and multi-crew ships, and you get bloat. 

Citation for that is just me because I know things. I think most people who work in the software industry can probably regale you with stories about these types of situations where they put in a feature because a PM wanted it so badly and it just sent the project sideways. 

Again, not making excuses, but stating quite openly that poor management of scope is a big reason for the state of the project, whatever that state is. It's unreleased anyway. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited March 2018
    Babuinix said:
    CIG will continue to develop Star Citizen and Squadron 42 within the leadership and vision of Chris Roberts .....
    Yes, this is true.  And that's why Star Citizen's development will continue to be inefficient, wasteful, disorganized, derivative, and very, very late.

Back in 2014 when predicting a 2020 release (and being attacked by ueber-fans for it), I didn't realize that was actually me being overly optimistic.

Star Citizen's development will continue to be like any other game of this magnitude would be except that people know about it before it even started and get to play it way sooner than they would normally get with the traditional method.

lol at bust circa 2015 :D yeahhhh keep wishing...
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Star Citizen's development will continue to be like any other game of this magnitude would be except that people know about it before it even started and get to play it way sooner than they would normally get with the traditional method.

Keep wishing they go burst in 2015 ?
    Is time travel one of the features Chris promised?

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Keep wishing they go burst in 2015 ?
    Is time travel one of the features Chris promised?
    If it isn't yet it should be!!!
    Maybe a good question for the next "10 for the Chairman"! :D
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:
    Entertainment.
    It's interesting to watch people try to defend things by presenting "you said we'd be gone in 90 days, we're still here" as an argument.

It's not that I believe time starts and stops with Star Citizen. It's that you are a consistent poster in most every topic relating to SC for months on end. While I have more posts on these forums far less are related to SC. Posting on any subject consistently takes time. Time to read what is being said, time to formulate a counter, time to post it.

I may have a few hundred dollars of assets in this game but when you factor in time... I think you're more heavily invested in it's failure than I am it's success. That's kinda sad.
    Babuinix
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I believe they need to finish game and release it in less than a year or some company gets ownership of both games. So I believe early 2019 finish or lose it.
    Babuinix
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    Eldurian said:
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:
    Entertainment.

It's not that I believe time starts and stops with Star Citizen. It's that you are a consistent poster in most every topic relating to SC for months on end. While I have more posts on these forums far less are related to SC. Posting on any subject consistently takes time. Time to read what is being said, time to formulate a counter, time to post it.

I may have a few hundred dollars of assets in this game but when you factor in time... I think you're more heavily invested in it's failure than I am it's success. That's kinda sad.
    Time is just another temporary currency.
    I don't mind spending it on something that gives me entertainment.
    I manage to share my time with people I love and other things I enjoy.
    Thank you for your concern though.

I'd be very interested in how you think I'd be invested in it's failure.
    Having it in eternal development time suits me just fine.
    Plenty of funny conversations pop up now and again.
    If it ever mutates into a good game then great!...one more good game to play.

..Cake..

Because given you've admittedly been bashing on it since at least 2014, if it does end up being a good game then that means you'll have been spewing nonsense fairly consistently for at least 4 years. That conveys a certain level of investment in it's failure.

As to trolling topics with naysaying being a source of entertainment you've probably spent hundreds of hours on over at least 4 years... that's also pretty sad. I'll never understand people's tendencies to whining and listening to popular personalities whine consistently every day as a major source of entertainment. Sure everyone needs to vent now and then but for some people such as yourself it's long since crossed the threshold from healthy to a ridiculous obsession.
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:
    Entertainment.

I think you meant to say "Time is a finite currency".
    Eldurian said:
    Because given you've admittedly been bashing on it since at least 2014, if it does end up being a good game then that means you'll have been spewing nonsense fairly consistently for at least 4 years. That conveys a certain level of investment in it's failure.

As to trolling topics with naysaying being a source of entertainment you've probably spent hundreds of hours on over at least 4 years... that's also pretty sad. I'll never understand people's tendencies to whining and listening to popular personalities whine consistently every day as a major source of entertainment. Sure everyone needs to vent now and then but for some people such as yourself it's long since crossed the threshold from healthy to a ridiculous obsession.
    So if the game releases and is fun, suddenly all criticism made on it is nonsense? 
    Excellent logic.

Also I appreciate your analysis of my posting history but could you please stay on the topic of SC and stop getting all personal? :)

..Cake..

Balmong said:
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:
    Entertainment.

I think you meant to say "Time is a finite currency".
    Yeah I did. Sorry :)
    English isn't my first language.

..Cake..

edited March 2018
    All criticism. Lol 

I've read your posts. Your flaming the hell out of anyone who dares feel optimistic about the outcome of this game. Yeah if this game succeeds you're going to have egg all over your face. Pretty much anything other than outright failure and a total shutdown of RSI / cancellation of Star Citizen would make you look like a fool at this point.

You're the equal and opposite of a fanboy. Fanboys aggressively attack anyone who dares talk ill of their game and devote a lot of time to it's defense. You aggressively attack anyone who dares speak positively of the game and sure as heck devote a lot more time to it than I spend doing anything Star Citizen related in general despite the hundreds of dollars I have into it.

Though I fully expect that should it succeed you'll be finding anything wrong with it that you can in order to say "Look I was right, this game is a failure!"
    Post edited by Eldurian on
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Eldurian said:
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:
    Entertainment.

I'm curious as to why you only point out the people with "non-positive" opinions.  When you compare sgels post count in SC to Erillion or MaxBacon, they beat him 5 to 1 with their overly optimistic posts and excuses for mismanagement of this game.  If you take someone like babuinix here and look at his post history you will find he spends the majority of his time on this site making excuses and optimistic posts centered on SC.  But others like Frodo and SGel are much more active in non SC threads.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Eldurian said:
    All criticism. Lol 

I've read your posts. Your flaming the hell out of anyone who dares feel optimistic about the outcome of this game. Yeah if this game succeeds you're going to have egg all over your face. Pretty much anything other than outright failure and a total shutdown of RSI / cancellation of Star Citizen would make you look like a fool at this point.

You're the equal and opposite of a fanboy. Fanboys aggressively attack anyone who dares talk ill of their game and devote a lot of time to it's defense. You aggressively attack anyone who dares speak positively of the game and sure as heck devote a lot more time to it than I spend doing anything Star Citizen related in general despite the hundreds of dollars I have into it.

Though I fully expect that should it succeed you'll be finding anything wrong with it that you can in order to say "Look I was right, this game is a failure!"
    I don't think "flaming the hell out of" means what you think it means.
    I don't "aggressively attack" anyone that dares to speak positively of SC.
    Could you please stop with your dramatic exaggerations?

If the game ever releases and is good, I'll play the shit out of it... I already have a basic package :)
    I've said that repeatedly.

How about you now direct your attention to some of the fanboys you mention.. you've already gone through my post history and got all personal with me.

Balance is a virtue every forum topic should strive for. Do your part.

..Cake..

edited March 2018
    Because devoting a lot of time to something you are genuinely enthusiastic about is fine. We're gamers here, we all devote hundreds or thousands of hours into gaming. Perhaps not the best use of our time but it brings us happiness. There is nothing wrong with talking about something you love with other enthusiasts, or with constructive criticism and genuine concerns.

Devoting a lot of time into bashing or whining about something is pathetic however. You don't like the game. Fine. Move on with your life. I hate WoW. I think the removal or skill trees is proof positive it's a game for people who don't want to think about or put any true effort into gaming. Might as well watch a movie IMO. However you don't see me on the WoW section of these forums bashing WoW for hundreds of hours over 4+ years. I'm too busy devoting my time, thought, and energy into things I genuinely enjoy. I might bring up WoW in the context that I don't want to see games I actually have hope for become WoW but what would be the point in devoting so much time and energy into bashing the game outside any kind of constructive context? And let's get real here, the anti-fanboys aren't posting anything constructive at this point. They're rehashing the same points they've been rehashing for years.

So here is the general jist of this section

"MaxBacon: Here's a video / RSI announcements. This looks super cool!"

"Other SC Enthusiasts: Awesome. That is cool! *chatter*"

"Sgel/Excession/FrodoFragins: SC Sucks! This game is a scam! Everything they've ever delivered is crap and It's taking to long! Chris Roberts is an idiot!"

"Not an Anti-Fanboy: I've played some of what they had and I actually think it was kind of fun...."

"Sgel/Excession/FrodoFragins: Shut up! Everything they do is terrible!"

*flamefest ensues*
    Octagon7711Babuinix
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You needed to add the middle of the road person, some things I like about the game and some things I don't.  There are a few of us around still.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I actually consider myself to be fairly middle of the road. I do not think this game will live up to it's wildest hype but I think that based on what I've played, they have a lot of solid content. Some of which has never been seen in any other game before (Going from space to fighting on planets without change zones for instance / the implication that space combat and ground combat run on the exact same system and thus can be present in the same place at the same time.)

I don't even see it as unreasonable to think RSI may have to scale back dramatically or hand the reins to some other company at this point. Not saying that will happen, but not going to stand behind the statement that it won't either.

What I will stand behind is that we will see this game release eventually, and when it does it's going to be fairly fun. That's just based on what I've had the chance to play so far that I'm willing to make that claim.
    Babuinix
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    If they would have just made the solo game it would of released, and then selling the MMO idea.

All anyone needs to watch is the money, setting up all those companies may have been a bad mistake. I just can't believe they have anything close to what they have earned in pledges then having to also pay back that loan or lose the games. Middle of last year I really thought we would of been playing by now, not testing. Not the MMO part but the solo game, Crytek seemed like the perfect engine for the solo game.
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin