Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boundless, this Sandbox MMO is the best early access one I've played

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think I tried going another route other than Steam to get into Alpha and it didnt work....iirc I had to go thru Twitter and it was a jumbled mess....Never heard a word from them.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The game is not out yet. I am sure when they start to actually promote the release of the game the population will rise. The game looks amazing and the reviews are very positive. I have never done early access on a mmo but this is one I am really considering. 

MaxBacon
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    on my watch list.  Hadn't really heard of this game until this discussion.  Will keep an eye out because it looks neat.  Steam reviews seem to be generally favorable, but there aren't many, so I'm always worried that I'm not getting a whole picture.  However, I'm interested for the moment.

I self identify as a monkey.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2018
    Linif said:
    So far, this is how I've understood what you've said:

The game isn't dead, it's purposely underpopulated because the devs believe this is the best way to attract genuine interest, instead of the type of player who doesn't understand the purpose of Early Access and dev decisions that may not benefit the player?
    Around that, this way the people who really want to, join up the dev and things work decently well in the community, the costs of maintaining the live service through this stage of dev (as there is no monetization attm after buying the game) other things are contained. It's about the moment they decide to start investing in promotion and get the title more known for now.

mgilbrtsn said:
    on my watch list.  Hadn't really heard of this game until this discussion.  Will keep an eye out because it looks neat.  Steam reviews seem to be generally favorable, but there aren't many, so I'm always worried that I'm not getting a whole picture.  However, I'm interested for the moment.
    The game actually recovered from a quite negative period with harsh reviews sideways, that was when due to problems they had to literally start from scratch and get their engine converted, but gladly they got past that and now things are looking much better.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    This one is very interesting.  I'm normally not into the building thing (which is why I don't dig Trove among other things) but it seems like they are slowly introducing other content with combat and weapons to play with.  I'll continue to monitor it, might get it for my kids since she loves minecraft and this is like that on steroids for the building as far as I can tell.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    It's a good time to be gamer ! :D 

Voxel-based games are the future, imho, and the visiual quality will only improve over time. Dual Universe has already pushed past the "blockiness" of many of these voxel games, and others are bound to follow.

Once you've experienced the freedom of creativity allowed by voxels, nothing else is good enough... :wink:

You have hit on something that I thought would have had more impact by now. After Minecraft I was reasonably convinced a Building MMO would storm the charts. I am not sure Trove is MMO enough(?), but it did not do as well as I expected. I think the limited MMO like elements and the graphics have been what's holding that "MMO and build, why the hell play anything else?" realisation.

Then when Landmark which had the graphics ticked in a big way went south, I became more sceptical of the whole idea. I am not sure Voxel is the future, but I do think this or another such game could well break us out of the current MMO template which may well stay set in stone until a builder MMO picks up that mould and sets it into their wall of cubes.
    This one is very interesting.  I'm normally not into the building thing (which is why I don't dig Trove among other things) but it seems like they are slowly introducing other content with combat and weapons to play with.  I'll continue to monitor it, might get it for my kids since she loves minecraft and this is like that on steroids for the building as far as I can tell.
    Well builders would love this indeed, there is actual gameplay to the creative side you need to go on adventures to get the materials you want, the color, texture and such that you will then use to then build your stuff. The game meta wants to be about guilds of players competing with each other to get the most prestige in their settlements, what also ends up driving trade as well, it's quite cool.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Scot said:

Voxel-based games are the future, imho, and the visiual quality will only improve over time. Dual Universe has already pushed past the "blockiness" of many of these voxel games, and others are bound to follow.

Once you've experienced the freedom of creativity allowed by voxels, nothing else is good enough... :wink:

You have hit on something that I thought would have had more impact by now. After Minecraft I was reasonably convinced a Building MMO would storm the charts. I am not sure Trove is MMO enough(?), but it did not do as well as I expected. I think the limited MMO like elements and the graphics have been what's holding that "MMO and build, why the hell play anything else?" realisation.
    Trove isn't a building game. You can do a minimal amount of building in it, but the main focus is PvE combat with some exploration aspects due to being able to modify the environment.

Players can create content for it, but that is done with tools outside of the game.

I don't know when you last looked at it, but Trove is constantly being updated these days. One of those updates substantially upgraded clubs, the changes providing a more MMO feel to the game due to the introduction of cooperative tasks that over time lead to communal rewards from the ongoing development of club facilities.

Out of all the games I play Trove is the most consistently and frequently improved.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To me it just looks like another Trove type game,that would a no thanks.
    I don't even care much about price,look how much we pay for gas or bottled water,we are being ripped off at every corner.

What i want is value,a really good game and worth whatever the cost is to play it.NO cash shop...period.

I want sub fees and i want those to be used to make ongoing content,that way you keep your player base and a steady income.This industry is to ful of greed,what we are seeing of late ,is large marketing campaigns full of deceit to just make those quick sales,lots of early cash shop spending.

Then because all of these games are soooo bad,they become ghost towns in 2 months but the developer doesn't care,they put little money and effort into the game anyhow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976
    edited March 2018
    Scot said:

Trove isn't a building game. You can do a minimal amount of building in it, but the main focus is PvE combat with some exploration aspects due to being able to modify the environment.

Players can create content for it, but that is done with tools outside of the game.

I don't know when you last looked at it, but Trove is constantly being updated these days. One of those updates substantially upgraded clubs, the changes providing a more MMO feel to the game due to the introduction of cooperative tasks that over time lead to communal rewards from the ongoing development of club facilities.

Out of all the games I play Trove is the most consistently and frequently improved.

Good to see they are increasing the MMO side, ages since I looked at Trove. To tick the boxes I mentioned it would have to be as much MMO as building game, I know thats a big ask mind you.
    Post edited by Scot on
    We've been having fun playing, so some builders hired us to mine them over 10k of one type of block in certain colors, project takes 1-2 weeks and they buy up in bulk, It's quite interesting how the creative aspect does drive economy here.
    Mikeha