Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$12M Worth of Paragon Assets Released on the Unreal Engine Marketplace for Free - Paragon - MMORPG.c

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

image$12M Worth of Paragon Assets Released on the Unreal Engine Marketplace for Free - Paragon - MMORPG.com

Paragon News - If you're an aspiring game developer and are utilizing the Unreal Engine, you will be interested to know that Epic has released every last one of Paragon's $12M worth of assets. This includes environments, skins, characters and every other asset created for the game that is closing on April 26th. All of these items can be downloaded and used free of charge and with "no strings attached".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2018
    I actually think this is amazingly generous. Best part is that people can make any kind of game that they want using those assets. I can't wait to see what comes of it.
    Post edited by SBFord on
    MikehaTalonsinKyleranNephethSovrathRockinw311ConstantineMerusFrodoFraginssunandshadowbartoni33and 5 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Wow!
    --------------------------------------------
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Slap some of those assets into shooter.exe and Tada....  You got yourself a game you can release on steam
    dzjokerwingood
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Actually great news, considering Paragon's assets were its only good quality. 
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    This is very huge. One of the biggest drains for a lot of games is getting animations, models and people to put them together, that is where we have sunk a lot of our costs. Good to hear Epic is putting those out for people to use!
  • CodehxCodehx Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Say what you will about the game itself, but it was gorgeous. A lot of time, attention, and care went into the art design. Where I find this move incredibly generous, I do worry about the 'asset flips' to come of these. Since these are obviously of a much higher quality than the standard Unreal Engine Asset Store objects, we're likely to see a bunch of gold-plated turds flood various marketplaces.

At the very least, we'll be able to identify the Paragon assets.

:/
    Codehx said:
    Say what you will about the game itself, but it was gorgeous. A lot of time, attention, and care went into the art design. Where I find this move incredibly generous, I do worry about the 'asset flips' to come of these. Since these are obviously of a much higher quality than the standard Unreal Engine Asset Store objects, we're likely to see a bunch of gold-plated turds flood various marketplaces.

At the very least, we'll be able to identify the Paragon assets.

:/
    Well, if asset flippers are going to take the piss, they may as well do so with assets that aren't an eyesore.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Epic really seems to like helping out new game creators by giving them tools to use for free, and now giving them millions of dollars in assets for free as well. It's really nice. 
    edited March 2018
    Epic really seems to like helping out new game creators by giving them tools to use for free, and now giving them millions of dollars in assets for free as well. It's really nice. 
    Not to mention the full refunds they gave to Paragon players (myself included). One can say what they wish about Epic's game designs over the past few years, but as a company, they're a real class act. I have nothing but respect for them, even if I don't like any of the games they've put out in... about a decade now.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Doubt anyone will do anything with them, but I'd be interested to see what they do if I'm wrong.
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    This is amazing, wish more companies would do this. I can see people looking at unity and unreal going with unreal over this. Interesting to see how and if unity will respond. Or if assets will move over their also

• Maxstone1Maxstone1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Instead of a shooter, a good writer and small team could probably turn out a nice ARPG with it..or an action game of some kind...the options with this stuff appear to be pretty open
    SBFord
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    That's great but I wonder how the artists feel. Now if they also give away the source code too then that would be John Carmack level amazing.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Aeander said:
    Not to mention the full refunds they gave to Paragon players (myself included). One can say what they wish about Epic's game designs over the past few years, but as a company, they're a real class act. I have nothing but respect for them, even if I don't like any of the games they've put out in... about a decade now.
    I never ended up asking for my refunds, got lazy but honestly I enjoyed the game enough for them to keep whatever I spent. 

I have liked a couple of their games like Fortnite and Paragon. I really wanted that UE game to come out as I like the public alpha thing that was going on, but that was being developed mainly by users from what I understood. 

I'm hoping Fortnite isn't the only thing they end up doing, as I really like their arena shooters quite a bit. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    That's great but I wonder how the artists feel. Now if they also give away the source code too then that would be John Carmack level amazing.
    I don't think the artists really care. They were paid to make assets for a game and they made assets for the game.

And were probably happy for the job if the designers/graphic artists I know are any indication.

SBFord[Deleted User]infomatz
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Probably happy all the work they put into Paragon is going to be used rather than just sit on the companies HDD.
    Sovrath
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited March 2018
    One of the best PR moves I've seen related to "gaming". They probably weighed the money they could get selling the assets vs the PR they would get and realized that they will hit jackpot with this.
    1. They raise the public opinion towards the company.
    2. They get free advertising of their company from hundreds(possible thousands and maybe even tens of thousands) future games that will have their assets in them.
    3. There are probably more points(pro's?) that I can't think of, but they have.

Honestly if they have no ulterior motives I will respect them for what they did, but if there are such as the points I pointed out I'll respect them even more.
    Either way there is bound to be at least 1-2 quite decent games in the future that will popup from this move.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Talonsin said:
    Slap some of those assets into shooter.exe and Tada....  You got yourself a game you can release on steam
    Time to make me a BR game, I'm a gonna be rich I tell ya!

Where's that link to Kickstarter? 

;)
    Asheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    Talonsin said:

;)
    Make sure you have a hype video first!  No need to actually create anything, merely using the assets showing off some premade animations is enough to qualify your project as "solid."

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Kyleran said:

Talonsin said:

;)

Make sure you have a hype video first!  No need to actually create anything, merely using the assets showing off some premade animations is enough to qualify your project as "solid."

Like that other Sci-Fi game... euhmm... what is it called?

:P
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Don't forget though, Epic makes 5% royalty on all profits over $3000 per quarter when you use their engine.

So yes, its very generous, but it also helps them make the engine more attractive to developers and its a way to take a failed project, salvage its good parts, and still make money on the back end.   
    [Deleted User]
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    jahlon said:
    Don't forget though, Epic makes 5% royalty on all profits over $3000 per quarter when you use their engine.

So yes, its very generous, but it also helps them make the engine more attractive to developers and its a way to take a failed project, salvage its good parts, and still make money on the back end.   
    I think it will also encourage more people who are using Unity to take a stab at Unreal etc.  A smart move either way.
    [Deleted User]

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Doubt anyone will do anything with them, but I'd be interested to see what they do if I'm wrong.
    I am going to rearrange your wording there and say that many will do a lot of things wrong with them :)

Malathoos said:
    This is amazing, wish more companies would do this. I can see people looking at unity and unreal going with unreal over this. Interesting to see how and if unity will respond. Or if assets will move over their also
    I was thinking the same. . but there are some "strings attached" which is fair.
    Licensed for use only with UE4 based products.   This might also restrict use in future versions if they choose.