Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Eureka First Impressions - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Eureka First Impressions - MMORPG.com

At long last, it’s finally here. Eureka — easily one of the most eagerly anticipated features of Stormblood — launched last Tuesday, and it’s fair to say it’s unlike anything else in FFXIV. In many ways, that’s arguably its greatest strength — as well as its greatest weakness. Eureka is many things depending on who you ask, but I think one thing everyone can agree on is that it’s divisive.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    A little time capsule of FFXI in FFXIV sounds like a cool nod to the community. However how much of that community actually exists in FFXIV. Admittedly I had quit FFXIV once I was done with the stories because of how hand-holding and casual it was and I'm sure a lot followed the same path.
    pantaro
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    They tried to do something fun and "old school" with Eureka but the community has already morphed it into something else. Currently, people just run around in big groups spawning the NM fates. It's easier than building an actual party and grinding it out, the way it was intended.

Honestly, I was hoping Eureka would bring me back into the game. I was wrong.
    Dragnelus
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    *pops popcorn*
    pantaro
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    So let me see if i am understanding this correctly cause my reading comprehension is shit. This is a max lvl zone with its own leveling system? There are extremely tough mobs that you grind for crystals to exchange for gear? Dying will result in losing some of you 1-20 lvl "new zone" xp? Certain mobs only spawn under certain conditions which in turn drop certain crystals needed for uber relic gear?

It sounds fun....for a minute.... But whats the hook to keep this from getting boring in a week or 2? How massive is the zone? Is this for partys only or can you go solo and as long as you tag the mob you get credit?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    didnt played it was about to sub until....

first days of Eureka :

Grind mobs for chain #30 in order to farm exp and crystal , as boring as it sounds

last days , ppl noticed that bosses spawned after killing a number of some type of mobs , trains of ppl killing this mobs to pop the boss , boss give more exp and crystals plus a chance of minion and mount.

but thats no the only issue u cant group with ppl with less level than u (-2 aprox) because u get no exp at all , there is no level sync so ......ppl that join now are "!$!$ up , gl finding parties at lvl 1-3

it takes a while to level , gear is synched to ilvl 300.

the whole zone is a grind X mobs to pop boss , repeat ....

17 months for this crap
    JimmydeanJeffSpicoliNepheth
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Given what happened to Diadem, I feel compelled to do Eureka NOW while people are still there and get my main's relic weapon before it's too late. After that - it's want to, not have to, and I'm not sure how much I'll want to.

Eureka is also going to make Krile more hated than Tataru barring a miracle revamp. Way to bury a Main NPC SE!
    Kajidourden

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Hashbrick said:
    A little time capsule of FFXI in FFXIV sounds like a cool nod to the community. However how much of that community actually exists in FFXIV. Admittedly I had quit FFXIV once I was done with the stories because of how hand-holding and casual it was and I'm sure a lot followed the same path.
    I'm one of those people as well,i've tried the game on many occasions with a lot of great friends in great guilds. the best low level dungeon experiences i've ever had in an mmo were in this game. Such a great community from what i have seen. sadly the game felt like the most restrictive hand holding mmo i have ever played! but hey i get it it's what the masses want.

Dont even get me started on the story.....I have been told it's really slow at first but gets better when you actually make it to the expansions
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The only reason something like this worked in FFXI was because the game was built around persistence which FFXIV is not. People didn't do stuff like this in XI because they wanted but because there was no other choice, but people who understood how the game worked and how long you usually had stuff for felt it was worth it. XIV worked around replacing gear every 6 months and even though relics have a degree of persistence within an expansion, you can get stuff marginally inferior (with the relic usually being marginally inferior to top tier gear) with it just being an long winded glamour item at the end. Keep in mind that these relic steps are ALWAYS nerfed so smart people will just continue to do what they have been before it was implemented and do it later if they really want it for the look.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited March 2018

Michael O’Connell-Davidson said:

In the simplest terms, Eureka is an instanced zone packed to the brim with tough mobs. Players have a separate experience gauge to the rest of the game, which contributes to their ‘elemental level’, and this largely dictates your strength. Mobs have elemental strengths and resistances, and you can adjust what element you’re attuned to in order to compensate for that.

This totally worked for The Secret World. XD
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61

pantaro said:

Hashbrick said:

I'm one of those people as well,i've tried the game on many occasions with a lot of great friends in great guilds. the best low level dungeon experiences i've ever had in an mmo were in this game. Such a great community from what i have seen. sadly the game felt like the most restrictive hand holding mmo i have ever played! but hey i get it it's what the masses want.

Dont even get me started on the story.....I have been told it's really slow at first but gets better when you actually make it to the expansions

I think FFXIV is by far the least casual big budget game in a long time. I can see the hand holding in terms of painfully slow ramp in combat skills, but this is a game where you have to do lots of questing and 3 dungeons before you can even access your banking system. Until recently you had to do dozens of hours of content to unlock the expansion, simply hitting old level cap wasn't enough.

I find it refreshing to play a game that doesn't hand you everything up front.
    NephethAlbatroes