Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATE: Devs to Hold Live Stream March 21 to Reveal 'Next Chapter' - Elder Scrolls Online

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAre Devs Teasing a New DLC Announcement? Seems They Are! - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

UPDATE: Devs will be on hand for the "Next Chapter" on March 21st at 1:00 pm Pacific / 4:00 pm Eastern in the ESO Twitch.tv channel.

Elder Scrolls Online News - The Elder Scrolls Online Twitter was updated late Friday with an image of a letter signed by Queen Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri that reads, "Your Queen has exciting news to share as soon as the time is right. I bid you watch and listen for the next herald, who shall present a royal announcement of great significance to us all."

Read the full story here

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• ErlijusErlijus Member UncommonPosts: 96
    It may be the start of the marketing campaign for the next chapter rather than DLC... Meaning something more meaty (and more $$ for Bethesda, as you can not buy chapters with crowns).
    SBFordLeiloniJeroKaneketo3000
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Best MMO on the market imo, even with the current issues players discuss (What mmo is free of player complaints) They are still killing it, providing consistent content and updates. If Zeni keeps this up, ESO will be one of the all time great MMORPGs.
    MikehaMagikarpsGhostSignexScotAlomarReaperman69ApridiseAgnharinfomatzOzmodanand 4 others.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

klash2def said:

Best MMO on the market imo, even with the current issues players discuss (What mmo is free of player complaints) They are still killing it, providing consistent content and updates. If Zeni keeps this up, ESO will be one of the all time great MMORPGs.

Some will disagree with you, but as a beta player who still plays today I can say eso had come a long way from what it use to be. Many changes for the better some for the worst. Most of the people who are having eso tend to be the pvp groups due to balance issues or dps build changes.
    BruceYeeJeroKane

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    ive played on and off since beta. started out on PC then switched to PS4. it is a great game that continually adds content. i havent played another mmo that adds as much this often. i dont pvp so i have no real complaints about balancing.
    infomatz
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I would agree this is going to be a chapter message since we should be getting one sometime in June/July. It is by far my favorite MMO on the market.
    keto3000
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited March 2018
    With the data-mining all but confirming Summerset Isles as the next chapter, the hype is real for this. I’m glad others share my opinion on ESO being the best MMO on the market right now. There is no shortage of content and the community is quite friendly in my experience.
    Post edited by immoralthang on
    thighhighsketo3000
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2018
    That it'll be Summerset is pretty well a given and has been so since they dropped that juicy spoiler at the very end of the Clockwork City quest line.

I'm more curious about what else is coming with it:

• Jewelry Crafting? About time we get this to bring crafted sets back into legit competition with dropped sets which all include jewelry.
    • Psiijic Order skills? This seems more likely than a Psiijic class and besides, I'd like skill lines that all classes can use much more than a 6th class
    • Some form of Spell Crafting? Unlikely but it'd be a nice surprise if they add it especially since it would fit so well thematically with the Psiijic order

I'm guessing the reveal will happen sometime this coming week... based on this latest tweet:

Post edited by Iselin on
    pantaro
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Iselin said:

That it'll be Summerset is pretty well a given and has been so since they dropped that juicy spoiler at the very end of the Clockwork City quest line.

I'm more curious about what else is coming with it:

• Jewelry Crafting? About time we get this to bring crafted sets back into legit competition with dropped sets which all include jewelry.
    • Psiijic Order skills? This seems more likely than a Psiijic class and besides, I'd like skill lines that all classes can use much more than a 6th class
    • Some form of Spell Crafting?

Will be interesting.

I doubt they will release both Spell Crafting and Jewellery Crafting at the same time though. Not just a case of spreading the "popular" additions out (assume both base game patches) but it will make any balancing issues easier to deal with.
  • Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I feel like the combat is what is holding this mmo back from being at the top of my list.They need to rework the combat and that would get me to come back. It feels very awkward and clunky. Would love a smoother and more fluid rotation.
    I feel like the combat is what is holding this mmo back from being at the top of my list.They need to rework the combat and that would get me to come back. It feels very awkward and clunky. Would love a smoother and more fluid rotation.
    Rotations can be very smooth in the hands of an expert player who knows the build intimately and has mastered animation cancelling (or uses macros :))

The real problem is that there is a more than 100% difference between the high twitch reflex players and the rest. A typical stamblade is doing pretty well if they hit 20K DPS. This guy is hitting 45K+:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Iselin said:

Rotations can be very smooth in the hands of an expert player who knows the build intimately and has mastered animation cancelling (or uses macros :))

The real problem is that there is a more than 100% difference between the high twitch reflex players and the rest. A typical stamblade is doing pretty well if they hit 20K DPS. This guy is hitting 45K+:

Jerky/Jumpy =/= Fluid.

He makes bad animations cancel into other bad animations....but the animations are still bad.

THIS is fluid animation. Not a character having a spaz attack.
    Iselin

Iselin said:

Jerky/Jumpy =/= Fluid.

He makes bad animations cancel into other bad animations....but the animations are still bad.

THIS is fluid animation. Not a character having a spaz attack.
    Surely you can come up with a better example than that over-cooked FX-crazed crap lol.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Both those examples where pretty bad to be honest.
    It still surprises me that WoW has one of the smoothest combats despite it's age.
    Let's face it, animation cancelling isn't smooth game play, it's the opposite. Jerky, motion interrupted, stop go visuals, that are basically using flawed programming to get 'look at my dps' figures.

To hear them say that it's part of the game only goes to show their limits in correcting a mechanic which other games have removed.
    infomatzLenoxazarhalJeroKanepantaroLiljna
    JudgeUK said:
    Both those examples where pretty bad to be honest.
    It still surprises me that WoW has one of the smoothest combats despite it's age.
    Let's face it, animation cancelling isn't smooth game play, it's the opposite. Jerky, motion interrupted, stop go visuals, that are basically using flawed programming to get 'look at my dps' figures.

To hear them say that it's part of the game only goes to show their limits in correcting a mechanic which other games have removed.
    I don't disagree about animation canceling but it isn't the aesthetics that annoys me. It's the effect it has on the player base separating them into the can and can not when the numerical difference between the two styles is so enormous.

I've been in favor of getting rid of it all along.
    Liljna

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Certainly much better than playing Wow atm

• PresciencePrescience Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Hey guys lets make comments about how this game has no real trinity.
    edited March 2018
    The announcement of the announcement (lol) :

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/26339

pantaroinfomatz

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Torval said:
    Oh god, announcement fatigue.
    Probably because PAX is coming up (?)
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    UPDATE: Devs will be on hand for the "Next Chapter" on March 21st at 1:00 pm Pacific / 4:00 pm Eastern in the ESO Twitch.tv channel.
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Next expansion 100%
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    Iselin said:

Always thought that, as a dev, if you have to accept glitching (animation canceling, swing manipulation in Chivalry), then you screwed a fundamental portion of combat up.

That doesn't mean it's a garbage system entirely, not at all.  And ESO is a great MMORPG in spite of it, but there's just no way to really sugarcoat things like animation cancelling and swing manipulation.  It's an oversight that got in so deep fixing it was not a workable option.

I tend to let animations play out when doing stuff solo - unless it starts to get really hard! Its an option.

Animation cancelling however is a design decision - its not bad programming. Think of it as a setting the GCD (global cooldown) to zero.

And its a discussion that exists in many games - the gcd is to long, its to short, some powers have finished but you can't cast, all the spells are the same there is no varirty. Over the years I think all shades of opinion have been expressed. Especially when you factor lag in with gcd!

ESO has opted for a particular path. And it does not mean that someone can spam ad infinitum since there is a resource limitation.

Would I prefer it done differently? To be honest I just don't think about it. It is what it is. And for all the negatives there are positives. The discussion about the problems with SWTOR's gcd for example went on and on - just one example, as I said its a recurrent theme.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    gervaise1 said:
    I tend to let animations play out when doing stuff solo - unless it starts to get really hard! Its an option.

Animation cancelling however is a design decision - its not bad programming. Think of it as a setting the GCD (global cooldown) to zero.

And its a discussion that exists in many games - the gcd is to long, its to short, some powers have finished but you can't cast, all the spells are the same there is no varirty. Over the years I think all shades of opinion have been expressed. Especially when you factor lag in with gcd!

ESO has opted for a particular path. And it does not mean that someone can spam ad infinitum since there is a resource limitation.

Would I prefer it done differently? To be honest I just don't think about it. It is what it is. And for all the negatives there are positives. The discussion about the problems with SWTOR's gcd for example went on and on - just one example, as I said its a recurrent theme.
    I don't think it's quote so clear.

Generally, games only allow animation cancelling to allow defensive maneuvers (i.e. blocking overriding a backswing in Vermintide 2).  That's an intentional tactical option: you lose the benefit of the swing to allow yourself to block.  Allowing attacks to continue despite having cancelled said attack seems more like an oversight.

Add in latency, and things only get worse.

Either way, it's not game-breaking, though it is a pet peeve of mine.

gervaise1 said:

I don't think it's quote so clear.

Generally, games only allow animation cancelling to allow defensive maneuvers (i.e. blocking overriding a backswing in Vermintide 2).  That's an intentional tactical option: you lose the benefit of the swing to allow yourself to block.  Allowing attacks to continue despite having cancelled said attack seems more like an oversight.

Add in latency, and things only get worse.

Either way, it's not game-breaking, though it is a pet peeve of mine.

There have been so many discussions about global cooldown over the last 2 decades that - whilst possible - I find it unlikely.

The basic discussions go as follows:

Bottomline 1: some people don't like AC.

To avoid AC totally you have to have a GCD equal to the longest power/spell animation. If some abilities have a cast / animation time less than the GCD you end up with people twiddling their thumbs. Cast an instant say then if the GCD is 3 secs you get a forum full of combat is slow and sluggish threads. There are posters in ESO threads who have stated they will not play games which don't have GCD. Bottomline 2: some people want "fast" combat.

Reduce the GCD to less than the max animation time creates a half-way house. This can upset both camps depending how far it is slanted towards one side or the other. And you get lots of threads about the best spell rotations and how if you do this that triggers the GCD etc.

Make all the animations short and snappy, make sure you have no instant cast spells = discussions about how a games animations suck. Bottomline 3: some people want "flashy" non-dull games.

Now you can keep the "pretty graphics" crowd happy by keeping the animations but reducing cast times. Another "mixed" solution. However as GCD is invariably client side and games always have lag this can be a real mess. Usually you get bugs as well. And you end up upsetting not just camps 1, 2 and 3. Something usually gives! This has been discussed at length.

Throw in PvP - another vocal group, the potential for extra lag - since you have more net traffic - and lets not forget hacks .......

I just don't see how the developers - some at least come from games that generated threads and threads about this stuff - could be oblivious to it. Hence: design decision imo probably knowing that no single solution would make everyone happy.

Would e.g. 1.5s - or whatever - have been better? No idea. There would have been threads!

So I just play the game. Its a lot going for it and I agree with you its not game-breaking.
  • BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180

klash2def said:

The King is well known and it's not ESO
    Ozmodan