Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let the pre-Alpha cash shop items flow...

Comments

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    time007 said:
    ugh, i thought this was a big name MMO.  but i guess its another cash shop game
    There are absolutely no plans, nor intentions to implement a cash shop into CoE once the game has launched. The only reasons for any kind of a cash shop before launch is because SBS is currently a crowd-funded game. (People supporting the game are made fully aware of the fact that anything they have purchased can be lost once the game launches) They chose crowd-funding because the investors/publishers they spoke with wanted the implementation of Cash Shops and/or Sub Fees; features that SBS feels very strongly about not wanting to implement into their game.

They seem to be confident in the pay-for-life model that was originally created for the concept of the game and are refusing to be forced into any other structure, just to obtain outside funding... 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    And again you place them on a pedestal.  

They aren't freaking doctors who became MDs after 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency and have board certification. 

You are literally talking about a guy leading his first game team with a BS in Psychology. The same guy who hasn't been able to attract a real publisher yet and who has consistently over-estimated his ability to deliver.   He was wrong about such basics as how much time it would take and how much money it would take.  Not just slightly wrong either... literally off by years.  Even the "Fabric" he built the game on proved to be the wrong technology (SpatialOS) and that was supposed to be his forte...

So has he learned a shit ton over the last 2 years?  HELL YEAH.  But if he had listened 2 years ago, he would likely not have been laying off some of his staff a few months ago.

If the experts in the industry believed he could deliver the majority of what he has said, they would be fighting each other to throw money at him.   Can he prove them all wrong?  Sure, it's happened.   Has ANYTHING he has done to date given confidence that will really happen?  Hell no.

So yeah... as I said I happen to know for a FACT that he knows about what gets posted on these forums and by whom.

Now let get back to the discussion at hand.

@Kyleran I definitely think they need to change their monetization.  Selling massive pre-launch advantages and then stopping is the worst of both worlds.  Since they started down the Pay for Advantage path they may as well continue... 

The question is... how?

Your proposal to continue to sell titles after launch is interesting, but I don't know if I see them going down that path.  

The other wild-card is also their future sale of the Soul Packs in the store.  These could be a bit like Lootboxes in that you don't know what you are going to get until you open it.  It could be intended to drive repeat purchases in the hopes of getting "the right" soul for your character.

1.  You don't have to have a doctrine to be a mechanic either.  However I'll take the guys opinions who went to school for 2 years has worked on cars for 20 years over the guy who has driven a car before lol.

2. I love that extrapolation by the way.  I say you should have the humbleness to realize you don't know everything, and that you aren't as knowledgeable about this as someone who has a degree and been in the industry for 15 years.  And you turn from that too "WELL HE'S NOT EXACTLY A DOCTOR!".  Yeah no shit sherlock, no one said he is.  I'm just saying he knows a lot more than you do about making games.  

3. Like Mystic said, there has been 0 problems attracting publishers.  Publishers started contacting SBS toward the end of 2016.  It's being able to keep their concept without making drastic changes toward monetizing. 

4. From literally every person who has explained this to me who actually have credentials in this field, the loss of Spatial OS is relatively meaningless.  But I guess since slapshot thinks the whole Spatial OS change is a big deal, then it must be.  Again this is you believing your own uneducated opinion instead of looking to people who actually know what they're talking about.  They once said it was "the fabric".  WHo the fuck cares?  You can make a shirt out of many different fabrics.

5. What expert in the industry says it can't be done?  Show me someone who is experienced in the field who thinks that none of what Caspian says is possible.  And Publishers aren't masters of the industry.  THey are businessmen.  You are completely not understanding the industry if you honestly think that computer science experts make the decision on where to spend multi billion dollar companies money.  If you haven't noticed, no game companies are taking risks in these days.

6. I love it when nameless, faceless people on the internet criticize people's credentials, especially when they obviously have none in the field they are talking about.

7. Oh and BTW, Lol, at your previous comment about having some secret relationship with a developer.  So cringe bro.

Now that's just plain old Ivory Tower talk :)   

But again.. for like the 3rd or 4th time... lets see if you can talk less about Slapshot and more about the game.  If I'm just one silly voice in a million just ignore me!  Honestly, if like you said, my posts drive you to need to take a break just skip them.  I won't be insulted at all!

Meanwhile there are perfectly good discussions about the Pre-Alpha cash shop that you are missing because of the Slapshot obsession.   Go dive in!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

time007 said:
    It's what many of us think is the worst possible concept.  A full on pay for advantage cash shop that is scheduled to close at launch, but all the advantages purchased carry over to the launched game.   Only new players will not have access to the store as currently envisioned.

KyleranYashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    time007 said:
    There are absolutely no plans, nor intentions to implement a cash shop into CoE once the game has launched. The only reasons for any kind of a cash shop before launch is because SBS is currently a crowd-funded game. (People supporting the game are made fully aware of the fact that anything they have purchased can be lost once the game launches) They chose crowd-funding because the investors/publishers they spoke with wanted the implementation of Cash Shops and/or Sub Fees; features that SBS feels very strongly about not wanting to implement into their game.

They seem to be confident in the pay-for-life model that was originally created for the concept of the game and are refusing to be forced into any other structure, just to obtain outside funding... 
    Such naivety , lol
    Slapshot1188KyleranAshyLarry24

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    IceAge said:
    time007 said:

Such naivety , lol
    You can call me naive if you wish, if somehow that makes you feel superior to me.  I guess only time will tell just who is and isn't naive won't it. 

Either way, I won't resort to childish name-calling. 
    YashaXIceAgeAshyLarry24AnOldFart
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    time007 said:

They didn't have to monetize development through what is possibly the most extreme form of p2w I have ever seen. There are other kickstarter mmos out there that have not tied crowd funding to selling massive in-game power.

The whole project would look vastly better if they had not decided to go down this p2w route in the first place. 

Slapshot1188AshyLarry24
  • AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    IceAge said:
    time007 said:

Such naivety , lol
    You can call me naive if you wish, if somehow that makes you feel superior to me.  I guess only time will tell just who is and isn't naive won't it. 

Seems to be a running theme here.
    YashaXmystichaze
    IceAge said:
    time007 said:

Such naivety , lol

The irony is just too much, lololololol.
    KyleranSlapshot1188
    And again you place them on a pedestal.  

They aren't freaking doctors who became MDs after 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency and have board certification. 

You are literally talking about a guy leading his first game team with a BS in Psychology. The same guy who hasn't been able to attract a real publisher yet and who has consistently over-estimated his ability to deliver.   He was wrong about such basics as how much time it would take and how much money it would take.  Not just slightly wrong either... literally off by years.  Even the "Fabric" he built the game on proved to be the wrong technology (SpatialOS) and that was supposed to be his forte...

So has he learned a shit ton over the last 2 years?  HELL YEAH.  But if he had listened 2 years ago, he would likely not have been laying off some of his staff a few months ago.

If the experts in the industry believed he could deliver the majority of what he has said, they would be fighting each other to throw money at him.   Can he prove them all wrong?  Sure, it's happened.   Has ANYTHING he has done to date given confidence that will really happen?  Hell no.

So yeah... as I said I happen to know for a FACT that he knows about what gets posted on these forums and by whom.

Now let get back to the discussion at hand.

@Kyleran I definitely think they need to change their monetization.  Selling massive pre-launch advantages and then stopping is the worst of both worlds.  Since they started down the Pay for Advantage path they may as well continue... 

The question is... how?

Your proposal to continue to sell titles after launch is interesting, but I don't know if I see them going down that path.  

The other wild-card is also their future sale of the Soul Packs in the store.  These could be a bit like Lootboxes in that you don't know what you are going to get until you open it.  It could be intended to drive repeat purchases in the hopes of getting "the right" soul for your character.

1.  You don't have to have a doctrine to be a mechanic either.  However I'll take the guys opinions who went to school for 2 years has worked on cars for 20 years over the guy who has driven a car before lol.

2. I love that extrapolation by the way.  I say you should have the humbleness to realize you don't know everything, and that you aren't as knowledgeable about this as someone who has a degree and been in the industry for 15 years.  And you turn from that too "WELL HE'S NOT EXACTLY A DOCTOR!".  Yeah no shit sherlock, no one said he is.  I'm just saying he knows a lot more than you do about making games.  

3. Like Mystic said, there has been 0 problems attracting publishers.  Publishers started contacting SBS toward the end of 2016.  It's being able to keep their concept without making drastic changes toward monetizing. 

4. From literally every person who has explained this to me who actually have credentials in this field, the loss of Spatial OS is relatively meaningless.  But I guess since slapshot thinks the whole Spatial OS change is a big deal, then it must be.  Again this is you believing your own uneducated opinion instead of looking to people who actually know what they're talking about.  They once said it was "the fabric".  WHo the fuck cares?  You can make a shirt out of many different fabrics.

5. What expert in the industry says it can't be done?  Show me someone who is experienced in the field who thinks that none of what Caspian says is possible.  And Publishers aren't masters of the industry.  THey are businessmen.  You are completely not understanding the industry if you honestly think that computer science experts make the decision on where to spend multi billion dollar companies money.  If you haven't noticed, no game companies are taking risks in these days.

6. I love it when nameless, faceless people on the internet criticize people's credentials, especially when they obviously have none in the field they are talking about.

7. Oh and BTW, Lol, at your previous comment about having some secret relationship with a developer.  So cringe bro.

Now that's just plain old Ivory Tower talk :)   

But again.. for like the 3rd or 4th time... lets see if you can talk less about Slapshot and more about the game.  If I'm just one silly voice in a million just ignore me!  Honestly, if like you said, my posts drive you to need to take a break just skip them.  I won't be insulted at all!

Meanwhile there are perfectly good discussions about the Pre-Alpha cash shop that you are missing because of the Slapshot obsession.   Go dive in!

Well when you're making ridiculous claims like inferring you have some sort of inside source at SBS.  Or that the developers of the game seek out your posts because they're desperately interested in your opinion.

WHen you make boldly stupid claims you are going to garner attention.  I know this is your little defense for when you feel stupid as I've seen you use this multiple times when you get called out on your ridiculousness. "Oh look at how famous I am on MMORPG.com, guys quit talking about me".  When you yourself obviously do think your famous if you think devs are following your every post (hence the inferiority complex).

The schtick is old dude and warn out already.  I know it bugs you that I don't let your horse shit claims just float around without reacting to them.  But if you continue to say retarded things I'm going to point them out.  I'm sorry if that offends you.
    YashaXKyleranSlapshot1188
    And BTW I know for a fact because of my inside sources that CoE will not have cash items after launch.  And also they think very highly of me and constantly ask me for my opinion because I'm really important! PLEASE BELIEVE ME!!!!!
    YashaX said:
    IceAge said:
    time007 said:

Such naivety , lol

The irony is just too much, lololololol.
    Yeah but that's becasue I'm really important and the devs are really interested in what I think.  DOn't be so naive.
    YashaX said:
    time007 said:

They didn't have to monetize development through what is possibly the most extreme form of p2w I have ever seen. There are other kickstarter mmos out there that have not tied crowd funding to selling massive in-game power.

The whole project would look vastly better if they had not decided to go down this p2w route in the first place. 

The game wouldn't exist if the they didn't offer packages.... Didn't really think that one through did ya.
    YashaX said:
    time007 said:

The game wouldn't exist if the they didn't offer packages.... Didn't really think that one through did ya.

Well first the game doesn't actually exist; second thanks for finally acknowledging that the backer "packages" are massively p2w. But that aside, like it says in the post you quoted, other kickstarter mmos that are actually further along in development than CoE have not tied crowd funding to selling massive in-game power, i.e. the "packages" they offer do not give backers enormous advantages in exchange for money. 

Any game that goes down this extreme p2w path for backers that CoE has chosen is going to get hammered, that's just reality. I think it would have been better for everyone if they had side-stepped the issue entirely by offering backers "packages" that were not p2w in the extreme. I mean some mild form of p2w is to be expected, but this is on a completely different level to what we see in most mmos (xp pots, mounts, cosmetics, status symbols, and the like).
    YashaX said:
    YashaX said:
    time007 said:

Well first the game doesn't actually exist; second thanks for finally acknowledging that the backer "packages" are massively p2w. But that aside, like it says in the post you quoted, other kickstarter mmos that are actually further along in development than CoE have not tied crowd funding to selling massive in-game power, i.e. the "packages" they offer do not give backers enormous advantages in exchange for money. 

Any game that goes down this extreme p2w path for backers that CoE has chosen is going to get hammered, that's just reality. I think it would have been better for everyone if they had side-stepped the issue entirely by offering backers "packages" that were not p2w in the extreme. I mean some mild form of p2w is to be expected, but this is on a completely different level to what we see in most mmos (xp pots, mounts, cosmetics, status symbols, and the like).
    To cutoff the lame expected response you should just call it Pay for Advantage.  Otherwise you trigger the silly defense of “Its an MMORPG you can’t win!”

I’ve been thinking about the “Soul Packs” some more.  I think it will be very interesting to see how these are monetized.  If they really do turn into gambling loot boxes it will stir some “interesting conversation”.

;) 

edited March 2018
    TBH you guys can't make up your mind on what to cry about.  One day it's "they have a bad monetization system, and they need more P2W", the next day it's about how unfair and P2W it is.  Sounds like you'll find a way to complain one way or another.  Literally in this thread there are people that have one hand cried that you can't buy packages after launch, and a few posts later, cried that the game is P2W lolololololol.

But either way, my inside sources at SBS tell me i'm right.  Plus my opinion is very important and the devs monitor my every post to make sure I'm happy.  Because I'm really important.  So obviously my posts are more important.  I'm not over compensating for my obvious lack of knowledge on the subject or anything.  And it's not an extremely pathetic attempt to feel some sort of validation.
    YashaXUngoodKyleran
    edited March 2018
    Looks like I hit a sore spot

Later tonight I think I’ll open a new thread for the Soul Pack lootbox discussion as I think it’s worthy of an isolated thread.
    YashaX

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    TBH you guys can't make up your mind on what to cry about.  One day it's "they have a bad monetization system, and they need more P2W", the next day it's about how unfair and P2W it is.  Sounds like you'll find a way to complain one way or another.  Literally in this thread there are people that have one hand cried that you can't buy packages after launch, and a few posts later, cried that the game is P2W lolololololol.

But either way, my inside sources at SBS tell me i'm right.  Plus my opinion is very important and the devs monitor my every post to make sure I'm happy.  Because I'm really important.  So obviously my posts are more important.  I'm not over compensating for my obvious lack of knowledge on the subject or anything.  And it's not an extremely pathetic attempt to feel some sort of validation.
    i thought to post on MMORPG.com that was the way it is lol I dont see a great many threads that dont have at least a couple people who either dont play a game or have no desire to play a specific game yet they know everything about it and are gonna tell you so.
    AshyLarry24
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Galadourn said:
    Galadourn said:
    I have to admit that the development of this game has been the most massive live RPG I have ever witnessed! 
    The devs are literally Role Playing a Development Team :)
    not just the Devs, the prospective players are also partaking in this
    Close, but on the right track.  Player are definitely participating.

Players are role-playing 'worshipers', just like in every other discussion for every other game-in-development.  Anyone who doesn't believe the 'holy gospel', i.e. pre-game documents from the developers, is hooted at, shouted down, and told "this game isn't for you".  There seems to be an unnatural tendency among gamers to believe anything someone who calls themselves 'Developer' says, and defend it will religious fervor when anyone raises any kind of question.

The hypocrisy is that the followers are interpreting the words that they have read and are relatively close-minded that their opinion (and interpretation) is the only right one, and anyone who has a different interpretation is a heretic.  Usually, it is the follower who is being close-minded, and refuses to think about anything other than 'the one right path'.

People still see burning bushes all the time.  Only some of us call that phenomena a wildfire.

pantaroKyleranLinif

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Mendel said:
    Galadourn said:
    Galadourn said:
    I have to admit that the development of this game has been the most massive live RPG I have ever witnessed! 
    The devs are literally Role Playing a Development Team :)
    not just the Devs, the prospective players are also partaking in this
    Close, but on the right track.  Player are definitely participating.

Players are role-playing 'worshipers', just like in every other discussion for every other game-in-development.  Anyone who doesn't believe the 'holy gospel', i.e. pre-game documents from the developers, is hooted at, shouted down, and told "this game isn't for you".  There seems to be an unnatural tendency among gamers to believe anything someone who calls themselves 'Developer' says, and defend it will religious fervor when anyone raises any kind of question.

The hypocrisy is that the followers are interpreting the words that they have read and are relatively close-minded that their opinion (and interpretation) is the only right one, and anyone who has a different interpretation is a heretic.  Usually, it is the follower who is being close-minded, and refuses to think about anything other than 'the one right path'.

People still see burning bushes all the time.  Only some of us call that phenomena a wildfire.

this is pretty much every single game forum i have ever been to ever!
    Kyleran
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    YashaX said:

I supposed we simply disagree on what is P2W.

See for me, a person that played in the Evony era where P2W got it's teeth and outrage, where players could literally, buy a win, and there was not a damn thing anyone could do about it, except pay more to win. I have a very hard line view on what is P2W because of that.

• Simply paying to speed up the process for something that could acquired in game, is not P2W in my book.
    • Paying money for Cosmetics, is also not P2W in my Book. (no matter what those Cosmetics are)
    • Paying for "property" be it guild halls, land mass, or whatever, simply buying that is not P2W to me, in a game like CoE where what you bought can be taken away, it becomes even less P2W.
    So what a lot of people pass off as P2W, is not really the case for me. When they can pay for the ability to be invincible, or maybe a buy a sword from the game that allows them to kill anyone in one hit.. Ok.. yah that's P2W.

Buying a Horse and Carriage, or a Blacksmith Shop..or maybe a funky sword pattern that looks like a giant dolphin.. (but is really a disguised penis joke) Nope.. Not P2W.

If they Buy a Church (Not P2W), Buy the rights to have a "Religion", (again not P2W) and then can buy for the ability to call down the wrath of gods to smite the unbelievers into oblivion (that is now P2W)

at least for me.

I am sure other people are far more sensitive to this issue, but.. I think those people are whiners.. 
    KyleranpantaroAnOldFartYashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    pantaro said:

i thought to post on MMORPG.com that was the way it is lol I dont see a great many threads that dont have at least a couple people who either dont play a game or have no desire to play a specific game yet they know everything about it and are gonna tell you so.
    But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

;)
    pantaroUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    For me, P2W means the ability to convert $ into any in-game advantages.

Using a game from my history, EQ1, as an example, I would consider that a P2W game in it's current form. The ability to buy subscription time (krono), and sell it in-game to other players is 100% P2W in my book. Also, the exp bonus potions they sell.

Having said that, I didn't stop me from playing EQ1 when they released the new progression servers, knowing full well that those P2W items would be in place.

The gameplay out-weighed the negatives for me. However, I did not try to convince myself that it wasn't P2W.
    LinifNilden
    --------------------------------------------
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I've only ever heard of one publisher mentioned, not by name, by SBS. As far as I was aware, they had no other prospective publishers looking at them because they couldn't sit through his "8 page" comparison to other MMOs... or something similar to that effect.

Anyone got some material to show that they have actually been in serious talks with publishers? 
    Linif said:
    I've only ever heard of one publisher mentioned, not by name, by SBS. As far as I was aware, they had no other prospective publishers looking at them because they couldn't sit through his "8 page" comparison to other MMOs... or something similar to that effect.

Anyone got some material to show that they have actually been in serious talks with publishers? 
    Just quotes from devs. They can't release too many details before a deal is actually struck obviously.

I'd find a quote but tbh it would just be a waste of time.  Soon after i post it there will be people that say "yeah but these are all lies".  So it's kind of a waste of time.
    Looks like I hit a sore spot

Later tonight I think I’ll open a new thread for the Soul Pack lootbox discussion as I think it’s worthy of an isolated thread.
    Why waste time with a forum post when you could just directly tell your inside source, and he can just tell caspian your very important ideas that everyone obviously copies?  I mean why waste time on here right?
    UngoodmystichazeAnOldFart