Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boundless, this Sandbox MMO is the best early access one I've played

MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
edited March 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Talking about Boundless, one MMO that deserves more attention that is progressing nicely and is reaching a point where it's capable to provide one of those unique experiences. Don't get mistaken just by looking at the visuals "Oh look Minecraft", not quite.

http://playboundless.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/324510/

I'll put this review as my words as well: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198142468145/recommended/324510/

Its unique portals feature is impressive, you can be looking at a portal streaming live from another planet, and another planet is actually another server, from EU/NA East & West and Australia and it simply works seamlessly what is rather impressive in my opinion. The whole thing is fully player-driven, the cities created, the economy, everything, providing the type of MMO I really like to play, by and for its community, it's based on levels and skill improvement that defines what you can/can't do or how good you are at it with the skill caps (Imagine LIF MMO style on that aspect, but more relaxed), and so on.

This team of developers deserves more support, 2 years ago they had to literally start over by changing the whole thing into a new engine to fix severe problems, today there have been more frequent feature updates that have expanded the game past building, with one economy, trading, PvE combat, with heavy crafting progression while still in Pre-Alpha.

Not sure about you guys, but on a genre where we are constantly being hit with more of the same, this is oxygen for me, and it is been the best I have encountered yet on the MMO/Sandbox sphere. 
pantaroholdenhamletMikeha

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Added to wish list, hoping one of these MMOish games actually comes out of "early  access" or whatever else they call pre-launch! I will definitely take a look at this one again when it does, was presently surprised by the decent graphics for a building game and the alien feel was quite fresh.
    Kylerananemo
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Scot said:
    Added to wish list, hoping one of these MMOish games actually comes out of "early  access" or whatever else they call pre-launch! I will definitely take a look at this one again when it does, was presently surprised by the decent graphics for a building game and the alien feel was quite fresh.
    Agreed, looks quite interesting, love the walking through "doors" concept.

Just wish more could bring some of these titles to a "released " state, but few seem able to do so, regardless of the resources available to them.

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    It's a good time to be gamer ! :D 

Voxel-based games are the future, imho, and the visiual quality will only improve over time. Dual Universe has already pushed past the "blockiness" of many of these voxel games, and others are bound to follow.

Once you've experienced the freedom of creativity allowed by voxels, nothing else is good enough... :wink:
    pantaroConstantineMerus
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I have been following this game for some time. 
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Nov 13 2014  Release date ???

that always scares me when the release date is 4 years passed and still talking about Early access

Kyleran[Deleted User]anemo
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    @Scot @Kyleran well in proper terms this one feels more solid, optimization and stability are better than what I expected from it. Aside of it being a smaller indie dev team so not a quick delivery, I jumped in at this stage because in one way I was following this for quite a bit but they only had building pretty much then and now finally expanded to get more game loops and things to do.

Grimula said:
    Nov 13 2014  Release date ???

that always scares me when the release date is 4 years passed and still talking about Early access

The game was long in-dev, around 2 years ago they pretty much started from stratch because the engine they were using had too many problems. That caused quite the setback but things are better now thanks to that.
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

cant they change the release date ? that turns off a crap load of people

when people see a release date 4 years Old , they probably will never try a Early access game that was supposed to be released 4 years ago

KyleranBruceYee
    Grimula said:

when people see a release date 4 years Old , they probably will never try a Early access game that was supposed to be released 4 years ago

The date you see is not a given release date for the game, on Early Access that is the date it entered early access and was added to steam, that date can't be changed as it happens in every other title on the program it only "resets" when it launches outside early access.
    Would you say the game is worth jumping into now or is it better to wait? 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It's a good time to be gamer ! :D 

Voxel-based games are the future, imho, and the visiual quality will only improve over time. Dual Universe has already pushed past the "blockiness" of many of these voxel games, and others are bound to follow.

Once you've experienced the freedom of creativity allowed by voxels, nothing else is good enough... :wink:
    I will agree that it is a good time to be a gamer when actual mildly decent new MMO's are being released.  Until then I will be stuck on games from 2000 to 2011 and hoping for better.
    MaxBacon said:
    Grimula said:

The date you see is not a given release date for the game, on Early Access that is the date it entered early access and was added to steam, that date can't be changed as it happens in every other title on the program it only "resets" when it launches outside early access.
    The real question is are they planning to do future wipes before moving out of early release?

2nd question, any official timeline on when that might be, or is it open ended?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Grimula said:

The real question is are they planning to do future wipes before moving out of early release?

Been playing this since 2015 - the game used to be called Oort online when I started playing, they changed the name to Boundless.

They have done several wipes already, this has been one of the top complaints by the playerbase.

Lag has been a huge issue but has been improved somewhat, still the game has performance issues.

the biggest downside IMO is that hardly anyone plays this anymore, the population is very small and has been so for years - if you look at Steam charts - the game has been averaging less than 100 players online since 2014.

It just feels so dead, which makes players not stick around - and that is the real killer sadly. The game has some neat stuff, but a MMO without a good community - not sure I would recommend this. I don't know how much longer this game can hang on

This was going to be my question, actually, since a few reviews touched on the issue. The game actually looks quite good, but a dead community is one of my red flags for buying in...
    Mikeha said:
    Would you say the game is worth jumping into now or is it better to wait? 
    Well depends on the person, as pre-alpha as it is, things as wipes end up happening and it doesn't have a large pop, but it seems to growingly slowly as the game gets more fleshed out. I have already put dozens of hours on it and I'm on lvl 19 (max 59 I think and takes hell long), still just started building my place still gathering nice materials and I'm early on the skill-front as well, so for me it has stuff to do for a while ;)

Kyleran said:
    They do wipes, but the wipes I've noticed are not global, for example they wipe the planets to regenerate them but things like your skills got refunded (when they change skills also give reset option to all players).

Info on wipes here: https://forum.playboundless.com/t/q-will-there-be-server-wipes-or-resets/4253 I think after they overhauled the engine there hasn't been a wipe, from exploring the worlds and all I don't think there has been a world wipe for a long time.

The release date is open-ended yes.

edited March 2018
    DMKano said:
    They have done several wipes already, this has been one of the top complaints by the playerbase.

Lag has been a huge issue but has been improved somewhat, still the game has performance issues.

the biggest downside IMO is that hardly anyone plays this anymore, the population is very small and has been so for years - if you look at Steam charts - the game has been averaging less than 100 players online since 2014.

It just feels so dead, which makes players not stick around - and that is the real killer sadly. The game has some neat stuff, but a MMO without a good community - not sure I would recommend this. I don't know how much longer this game can hang on
    The wipes matter I don't think there has been a wipe since the C++ new engine, I'm not sure but that was 1, 2 years? The devs attm state they only plan 2 wipes, 1 when they reach pre-release "1.0" where the world tech and biomes are finished, and another one when the game releases.

The lag matter, I don't notice that one, even when I'm portaling around through EU/US/AU servers the pings are decently stable, the render lag is something I'm not hit with, at max downs me to 20~ on heavy built areas but I had bigger problems with Minecraft on that aspect. (before the C++ overhaul the game performance was awful that I remember)

Your last point also relevant to what @Linif said I've met with some devs playing around and was having this discussion, the low population of the game is one intentional decision, by having one higher price tag while the game is at this phase (the biggest retainer to new players really), it's not a dead community to me, and seems to be growing slowly as the game also gets more fleshed out, but they haven't really invested in promoting the game at all yet.

I see this one like Rimworld, or even Slime Rancher, quiet small communities as the games were early in dev, once they pushed on promoting them to wider audiences the games exploded.
    MaxBacon said:
    DMKano said:

... I've met with some devs playing around and was having this discussion, the low population of the game is one intentional decision, by having one higher price tag while the game is at this phase (the biggest retainer to new players really)...
    I just want to make sure I understood that right. They intentionally put the price higher at Early Access to turn away players?
    Linif said:
    I just want to make sure I understood that right. They intentionally put the price higher at Early Access to turn away players?
    It's one thing some games tend to do, the price is higher at earlier phases, on this specific case the ideology is to explain easily, with a higher price tag the people who tend to buy in are those who are really interested into it and/or want to support the dev; results in a more mature community that is more accepting of the dev status of it, say when a wipe happens (what wouldn't be the case if the game was more accessible with larger pops).
    edited March 2018
    DMKano said:
    You are seeing it as games that have 20x to 120x more players?

Slime Rancher is still averaging more than 1000 players online, Rimworld is over 6000 players average.

I understand that you like the game, I like it too- but come on man, Boundless is a dead game right now.
    No. I am talking those games, were in development, before steam, they sold them, they had their smaller communities before they actually decided to promote their titles to wider audiences.

And to me, Boundless still retains that, still is one unknown to most, nothing died on Boundless because they haven't loss anything that they've had before, unlike MANY other titles (especially early access MMO's) that had their highlight and peak, jinxed it and now are incapable to revive a playerbase.
    Thanks for the info guys, I've put it on the watch list however being a progression junkie I can't really play most MMORPGs until they've stopped wiping and formally launched.

I don't get to play many new MMOs these days....

edited March 2018
    DMKano said:
    I disagree.

Boundless is in serious trouble - it went through a rename already from Oort online, it's been in dev since 2014 and hasn't been able to gain traction.

The chance of this game doing what Slime Rancher or Rimworld have done popultion wise are slim to none.
    And I double disagree. I don't see it in trouble, it sustains under normal levels as before and the development caught up and does more frequent feature-releases now.

They do not actively invest into promoting the game, very little on interviews or pushing for exposure in the media, social media and so on, once they properly push on the typical promotion of the title, likely get the price to a good spot, seeing how it is fleshing out, I would say it will, and I think you would agree the game is attractive even at this incomplete stage, so and 101 Marketing here (my job also), once you have one attractive product you just need to cash in on it, by marketing it widely, Boundless is still a big unknown to most.
    Its coming to PS4 and PC. Any word on crossplay? 

That would be huge if it does. 
    Mikeha said:
    Its coming to PS4 and PC. Any word on crossplay? 

That would be huge if it does. 
    Yes it is stated as what they are going for. And should be pretty okay it's PvE-driven no balance concern.
    Mikeha
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:
    Linif said:
    It's one thing some games tend to do, the price is higher at earlier phases, on this specific case the ideology is to explain easily, with a higher price tag the people who tend to buy in are those who are really interested into it and/or want to support the dev; results in a more mature community that is more accepting of the dev status of it, say when a wipe happens (what wouldn't be the case if the game was more accessible with larger pops).
    Can you name a few of these games that adopted this "price higher in the beginning to build a more mature community" policy you speak of?  I think you are confusing this with the "We need to lower our price because our game sucks and no one wants to pay the large amount we are currently charging" policy.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:
    DMKano said:
    I disagree.

Boundless is in serious trouble - it went through a rename already from Oort online, it's been in dev since 2014 and hasn't been able to gain traction.

The chance of this game doing what Slime Rancher or Rimworld have done popultion wise are slim to none.
    And I double disagree. I don't see it in trouble, it sustains under normal levels as before

Source? 
    How would you know if they are sustaining?  Have you seen their financials?  Or are you just telling us what you "imagine" is happening?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited March 2018
    Talonsin said:
    Can you name a few of these games that adopted this "price higher in the beginning to build a more mature community" policy you speak of?  I think you are confusing this with the "We need to lower our price because our game sucks and no one wants to pay the large amount we are currently charging" policy.
    Oh those are rare sights tbh, but I think this one is one of those. There are several approaches to the same thing.

The price here would moderate, when they know that the price will restrain how many people will be willing to buy in, but they purposely do it as such, it's beneficial for a game in early stages the people who will jump in is because they really want to.

You also have the opposite, the most common on, games on early stages, released at cheap prices with higher player pops resulting on the typical steam early access drama over the usual issues (performance, lack of content, etc...), often backfires on the devs and results in the death of the titles, there's no lack of examples of that.

And ofc, what you mention is also common, other times games just put the higher price just to cash in on hype and then lower it.

Talonsin said:
    Source?  
    How would you know if they are sustaining?  Have you seen their financials?  Or are you just telling us what you "imagine" is happening?
    When I talk sustain I mean the overall activity in the community and game over the past years, with a slight growth over time.
    So far, this is how I've understood what you've said:

The game isn't dead, it's purposely underpopulated because the devs believe this is the best way to attract genuine interest, instead of the type of player who doesn't understand the purpose of Early Access and dev decisions that may not benefit the player?