Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Gorgon has launched on Steam for $40 ($30 on sale)

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The only qualm I have with this launch is that it didn't have a trial of sorts (maybe limited time or only able to skill up to x etc) because the big sell factor of the game is experiencing it. Its definitely not going to bring people in for the eye candy or anything (not knocking the game, heck I even backed it and have no regrets) but if they want to sell more, they'll have to consider that. Otherwise the game is really enjoyable and is a steal for the price imo.
    Octagon7711
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Albatroes said:
    The only qualm I have with this launch is that it didn't have a trial of sorts (maybe limited time or only able to skill up to x etc) because the big sell factor of the game is experiencing it. Its definitely not going to bring people in for the eye candy or anything (not knocking the game, heck I even backed it and have no regrets) but if they want to sell more, they'll have to consider that. Otherwise the game is really enjoyable and is a steal for the price imo.
    @frostymug mentioned there's still free access to the alpha build, and apparently there's plans to leave that build up a few weeks.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Albatroes said:
    @frostymug mentioned there's still free access to the alpha build, and apparently there's plans to leave that build up a few weeks.
    Oh perfect, I was thinking they closed it after official launch but if they leave it open then it should do well.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    frostymug said:

Even now you can go on their forums and find the link to the alpha launcher that will remain functional for a few weeks still after Steam launch. People crying for a trial yet doing no or minimal research on the game are probably better left outside crying.

"srand  [developer] Mar 13 @ 8:01pm 
    We do plan on having a free trial, but I'm afraid I don't have a solid ETA for you on when that might be available."

http://steamcommunity.com/app/342940/discussions/0/1698293703766470788/

Might want to tell that to the developers.  Even they admit they are not offering a free trial at the moment.  Players shouldn't have to "search" for supposed "workaround" free trials.  Informed fans of the game in this game forum weren't even aware they were getting a free trial, much less about some website alpha stage "workaround."

Furthermore, what is it with some of you that you get so defensive at the mere suggestion of a limited free trial that you fly off the handle biting everyone's head off suggestion as much?  This is a request by potential players that think enough of the game that they would like to give it a try, but would like the option of a brief feel of the game before plunking down their hard earned $30 dollars.  Thats just being a smart consumer. 

A friendly response toward your fellow gamers such as "yeah, a free trial would be nice if it helped grow the game's community, hopefully they will offer one in the near future," would suffice.  Apparently, the developers thought so as well as they have already stated they would offer one in the near future.  Its not like this is a foreign concept when it comes to MMOs.  The vast majority of games offer some form of limited free trial.  There really is no need to get so negative and defensive about such a simple suggestion. 

Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Scorchien said:
               So , for all those wanting a Trial .. it is coming ... from the dev

"We do plan on having a free trial, but I'm afraid I don't have a solid ETA for you on when that might be available."

I dont think it would be to far out

Who would be waiting for a trial... I mean it was literally free to download and play for years until a few days ago wasn't it?

Maybe everyone doesn't follow games as religiously as others do on game forums and the first time they will see or hear of it is when they see it displayed for sale on Steam.  I would say that holds true for the majority gaming demographic.

Novel concept, I know.
    It's just strange to ask "where is the free trial" for a game that LITERALLY had a 3-4 year free trial which just ended a day or two ago. 

If people now see it for the first time and want to wait a few months for a free trial that's fine... and honestly... if they haven't heard of Project: Gorgon after all this time it's probably best that they do wait because pretty much every MMORPG site has had multiple articles on it through the years and it's not exactly the type of game that is going to appeal to the super-casual/twitch gamer either.  The majority of people who haven't heard about it would likely pop in for 30 minutes and then give it a bad review.
    So you're saying you know about every game that's been announced and have never missed even one before launch?  Impressive...
    LacedOpium

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    frostymug said:

Even now you can go on their forums and find the link to the alpha launcher that will remain functional for a few weeks still after Steam launch. People crying for a trial yet doing no or minimal research on the game are probably better left outside crying.

We do plan on having a free trial, but I'm afraid I don't have a solid ETA for you on when that might be available."

Might want to tell that to the developers.  Even they admit they are not offering a free trial at the moment.  Players shouldn't have to "search" for supposed "workaround" free trials.  Informed fans of the game in this game forum weren't even aware they were getting a free trial, much less about some website alpha stage "workaround."

Furthermore, what is it with some of you that you get so defensive at the mere suggestion of a limited free trial that you fly off the handle biting everyone's head off suggestion as much?  This is a request by potential players that think enough of the game that they would like to give it a try, but would like the option of a brief feel of the game before plunking down their hard earned $30 dollars.  Thats just being a smart consumer. 

A friendly response toward your fellow gamers such as "yeah, a free trial would be nice if it helped grow the game's community, hopefully they will offer one in the near future," would suffice.  Apparently, the developers thought so as well as they have already stated they would offer one in the near future.  Its not like this is a foreign concept when it comes to MMOs.  The vast majority of games offer some form of limited free trial.  There really is no need to get so negative and defensive about such a simple suggestion. 

They are going to have a proper trial. I have no problem with it. If that was coming across as defensive to you, the world is going to be a tough place when you get out there.

As of right now, the alpha launcher is still available. Effectively, a trial. Same as the years of free play.

I don't even have to tell srand. Bet she knows since her husband and development partner posted this:

A reminder: you can still download the launcher from http://projectgorgon.com and play that way. It's not a requirement to play from Steam yet! And won't be for more than a week.

"We've sent most keys now (check your Spam/Promotions folders!) The keys we have left to send are the ones that need multiple keys or had special processing notes. We have to send those manually, and we're still getting everything organized, so it will be a day or two, sorry! But you will get your keys, not to worry. And in the mean time, just play the alpha build, it's literally the same client."

then:

"Oh, I didn't realize we'd already taken them off the front page, oops. Here are the links to the alpha launchers:

Windows:
    https://projectgorgon.com/downloads/...auncherWin.zip

Mac:
    https://projectgorgon.com/downloads/...herMac.app.zip

Linux:
    https://projectgorgon.com/downloads/...ncherLinux.tgz

So, since you keep spouting the same thing in the face of evidence to the contrary, here you go:  (In a friendly voice of course) "yeah, a free trial would be nice if it helped grow the game's community, hopefully they will offer one in the near future". Although I already know they plan to and currently do for all intents and purposes.

When I was younger I spent time to save money. As I got older, I started spending money to save time. When I did neither, I expected and usually received nothing. If people wish to do neither, then they can wait. Otherwise, pay 30 bucks or spend the time to go to the launcher I mentioned, and now linked. Might even last long enough for the official trial if I hurry and tell srand.
    frostymug said:
    frostymug said:

They are going to have a proper trial. I have no problem with it. If that was coming across as defensive to you, the world is going to be a tough place when you get out there.

As of right now, the alpha launcher is still available. Effectively, a trial. Same as the years of free play.

I don't even have to tell srand. Bet she knows since her husband and development partner posted this:

A reminder: you can still download the launcher from http://projectgorgon.com and play that way. It's not a requirement to play from Steam yet! And won't be for more than a week.

"We've sent most keys now (check your Spam/Promotions folders!) The keys we have left to send are the ones that need multiple keys or had special processing notes. We have to send those manually, and we're still getting everything organized, so it will be a day or two, sorry! But you will get your keys, not to worry. And in the mean time, just play the alpha build, it's literally the same client."

then:

"Oh, I didn't realize we'd already taken them off the front page, oops. Here are the links to the alpha launchers:

Windows:
    https://projectgorgon.com/downloads/...auncherWin.zip

Mac:
    https://projectgorgon.com/downloads/...herMac.app.zip

Linux:
    https://projectgorgon.com/downloads/...ncherLinux.tgz

So, since you keep spouting the same thing in the face of evidence to the contrary, here you go:  (In a friendly voice of course) "yeah, a free trial would be nice if it helped grow the game's community, hopefully they will offer one in the near future". Although I already know they plan to and currently do for all intents and purposes.

When I was younger I spent time to save money. As I got older, I started spending money to save time. When I did neither, I expected and usually received nothing. If people wish to do neither, then they can wait. Otherwise, pay 30 bucks or spend the time to go to the launcher I mentioned, and now linked. Might even last long enough for the official trial if I hurry and tell srand.

"People crying for a trial yet doing no or minimal research on the game are probably better left outside crying."

You're right, perhaps I shouldn't have soft-pedaled it to avoid offending and instead of using the word "defensive" I should have called it what it really is ... condescending.  

In regard to the rest of your post, read my post again and relax.  No one is trying to attack you or your game.  Its just a simple suggestion and a matter of being inclusive, as opposed to exclusive, toward your fellow gamer community.

DMKano said:
    According to SteamSpy they have sold around 1300 copies on steam.

So best case scenario:

1300 * $40 = 52,000

Steam takes 30%:

52000-15600=36,400

Thats what they made on Steam so far
    Which is close to half what they made on their initial crowdfunding, for better or worse.

A lot of owners are going to be previous backers though, so I bet that is a way generous best case.

I probably would have approached Steam and Early Access way differently, personally. Either way, it's out there now, fly or die.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited March 2018

Scorchien said:

"We do plan on having a free trial, but I'm afraid I don't have a solid ETA for you on when that might be available."

Who would be waiting for a trial... I mean it was literally free to download and play for years until a few days ago wasn't it?

Maybe everyone doesn't follow games as religiously as others do on game forums and the first time they will see or hear of it is when they see it displayed for sale on Steam.  I would say that holds true for the majority gaming demographic.

Novel concept, I know.
    It's just strange to ask "where is the free trial" for a game that LITERALLY had a 3-4 year free trial which just ended a day or two ago. 

If people now see it for the first time and want to wait a few months for a free trial that's fine... and honestly... if they haven't heard of Project: Gorgon after all this time it's probably best that they do wait because pretty much every MMORPG site has had multiple articles on it through the years and it's not exactly the type of game that is going to appeal to the super-casual/twitch gamer either.  The majority of people who haven't heard about it would likely pop in for 30 minutes and then give it a bad review.
    So you're saying you know about every game that's been announced and have never missed even one before launch?  Impressive...
    You should probably take a moment and re-read my post and then yours.

What I said was that "if they haven't heard of Project: Gorgon after all this time it's probably best that they do wait" and that "The majority of people who haven't heard about it would likely pop in for 30 minutes and then give it a bad review."

This game LITERALLY had a free trial for 3+ years.  This game LITERALLY has had 19 articles since January just on MassivelyOP...  It's had a few on here as well as it's own forum.  It had multiple Crowdfunding efforts. 

It hasn't had a trial for a whopping 3 days.  Seriously... go cry me a river.

And actually... as others have pointed out you can still play for free by skipping Steam.  This was just IMHO an attempt to get a clean launch without a million Steam people people downloading a game they will never really play just to login for 30 minutes and leave a bad review.

Scorchien

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

DMKano said:

So best case scenario:

1300 * $40 = 52,000

Steam takes 30%:

52000-15600=36,400

Not bad... their Kickstarter goal was just $20k.

Remember... this is basically a married couple Dev team.   

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

"People crying for a trial yet doing no or minimal research on the game are probably better left outside crying."

You're right, perhaps I shouldn't have soft-pedaled it to avoid offending and instead of using the word "defensive" I should have called it what it really is ... condescending.  

In regard to the rest of your post, read my post again and relax.  No one is trying to attack you or your game.  Its just a simple suggestion and a matter of being inclusive, as opposed to exclusive, toward your fellow gamer community.

I believe that for just about any game. If you're not going to either pay the price or research when a trial is available then you probably are better off not playing. And the community is probably better off if you don't. I'll accept being condescending. I prefer people who can think anyways.

Look at what happens every time Star Citizen offers a free fly.
    Look at what happens when a bunch of people who aren't really interested in SotA play the free trial.

The negative reviews on Steam from people who aren't really interested in the game, genre, or anything other than it being free end up hurting it by pushing it down the list based on average review score or relevancy. Steam knows I like MMOs and RPGs, but they never have SotA anywhere near the top of any search I make. They did early on. Exposure to the masses isn't always sunshine and puppy farts. There's a reason why just about every visual novel or anime game is overwhelmingly positive and most AAA titles are stuck somewhere between mixed and mostly positive. Sometimes it is better to just stay in your lane and play to your crowd. 

I don't think SotA is that bad either, it just doesn't really scratch an itch for me that another existing game doesn't already. Look at the negative reviews. Very few from people who have much time in any other MMO. Or RPG. Very few who have much time in it. Those short timeplay reviews kill it on average, yet we all flip shit if a full, finalized review of an MMO comes out before the reviewer has spent at least whatever double digit number of hours is our threshold and/or reached end game. BDO gives itself away as cheaply as possible without being called F2P and it doesn't help them at all either.

I think if we're all being honest, the game looks very janky. It plays pretty janky. It isn't going to appeal to a lot of people who don't already know about it or at least research what they're getting into beforehand. I knew what I was getting into and it still puts my whole function over fashion sensibility to the test. 

As long as there are enough people and funding to keep the lights on, that's enough. F2P won't help in a game of this type. There might be some minuscule conversion rate, but I'll go ahead and put my money down now on there not being this imaginary horde of people on Steam looking for a game like this. Just negative drive by reviews.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Scorchien said:

Novel concept, I know.

It's been 3+ years dude, how much more time do you need?  If you haven't heard about P:G and the free trial they've been running all that time by now then I doubt you're interested in this type of game, in which case I have to ask...why are commenting so much about it?  I don't really care for BDO or FF11 but you don't see me getting worked up about them like you are for this game.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

frostymug said:

I believe that for just about any game. If you're not going to either pay the price or research when a trial is available then you probably are better off not playing. And the community is probably better off if you don't. I'll accept being condescending. I prefer people who can think anyways.

Look at what happens every time Star Citizen offers a free fly.
    Look at what happens when a bunch of people who aren't really interested in SotA play the free trial.

The negative reviews on Steam from people who aren't really interested in the game, genre, or anything other than it being free end up hurting it by pushing it down the list based on average review score or relevancy. Steam knows I like MMOs and RPGs, but they never have SotA anywhere near the top of any search I make. They did early on. Exposure to the masses isn't always sunshine and puppy farts. There's a reason why just about every visual novel or anime game is overwhelmingly positive and most AAA titles are stuck somewhere between mixed and mostly positive. Sometimes it is better to just stay in your lane and play to your crowd. 

I don't think SotA is that bad either, it just doesn't really scratch an itch for me that another existing game doesn't already. Look at the negative reviews. Very few from people who have much time in any other MMO. Or RPG. Very few who have much time in it. Those short timeplay reviews kill it on average, yet we all flip shit if a full, finalized review of an MMO comes out before the reviewer has spent at least whatever double digit number of hours is our threshold and/or reached end game. BDO gives itself away as cheaply as possible without being called F2P and it doesn't help them at all either.

I think if we're all being honest, the game looks very janky. It plays pretty janky. It isn't going to appeal to a lot of people who don't already know about it or at least research what they're getting into beforehand. I knew what I was getting into and it still puts my whole function over fashion sensibility to the test. 

As long as there are enough people and funding to keep the lights on, that's enough. F2P won't help in a game of this type. There might be some minuscule conversion rate, but I'll go ahead and put my money down now on there not being this imaginary horde of people on Steam looking for a game like this. Just negative drive by reviews.

I understand where you're coming from, but to be totally honest, thats a jaded and negative attitude to have, not only for a game but for the gaming population in general.  Negative reviews will always be a part of the MMO experience.  That is unavoidable culture that the MMO community has evolved into.  Even so, even in platforms like Steam you will also find a great many games with "Overwhelmingly Positive" reviews by the gaming community.  Many of those games being not only of the "janky and quirky" variety, but very old and dated, 2D scrollers, top down, isometric, etc., and everything in between. 

Hiding your game for fear of negative reviews is no way to run a game.  Advertising and exposure are a necessary evil for any product that is being peddled to the masses.  And that is especially applicable to MMO games.  Players will come and go with constant exposure, but there will only be a "go" and no "come" if there is no exposure to the masses.  If a game is good, it will find its niche, and players will play it regardless.  Hiding your game for fear of negative feedback will only result in deserted servers and the eventual shutting down of the game.

Scorchien said:

Novel concept, I know.

You should probably take a moment and re-read my post and then yours.

What I said was that "if they haven't heard of Project: Gorgon after all this time it's probably best that they do wait" and that "The majority of people who haven't heard about it would likely pop in for 30 minutes and then give it a bad review."

This game LITERALLY had a free trial for 3+ years.  This game LITERALLY has had 19 articles since January just on MassivelyOP...  It's had a few on here as well as it's own forum.  It had multiple Crowdfunding efforts. 

It hasn't had a trial for a whopping 3 days.  Seriously... go cry me a river.

And actually... as others have pointed out you can still play for free by skipping Steam.  This was just IMHO an attempt to get a clean launch without a million Steam people people downloading a game they will never really play just to login for 30 minutes and leave a bad review.

Yeah, I'm asking a related question.  I've missed games that came out seven years ago.  Found them, really enjoyed playing them, and wonder how I missed them but I did.  Was wondering if anything like that has happened to you.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ZdarcZdarc Member UncommonPosts: 23
    frostymug said:

I still think the game is only worth about 20 bucks. The community, the passion, and the fit and feel for me; that's where I see the value. I went ahead and got the 100 dollar pack off the shop. Still playing alpha and waiting for the key. Might end up being a terrible investment, but I've already gotten way more enjoyment out of it prior to giving anything than I've gotten from a plethora of other higher production value MMOs in recent years.
    I purchased the 100 dollar pack yesterday and received nothing yet either (other than the payment confirmation).

I run my own email server and checked the logs so I know it wasn't blocked by a spam filter or black list.

Hopefully they are just super busy for such a small operation and those will be incoming shortly but I'd imagine there are some who are pretty pissed right now and they might be losing some customers. I've got plenty of other distractions and if it takes awhile so be it but they might be hurting themselves by not processing these quicker with some influx of players right now with steam launch and topics like this.

Zdarc said:

I purchased the 100 dollar pack yesterday and received nothing yet either (other than the payment confirmation).

I run my own email server and checked the logs so I know it wasn't blocked by a spam filter or black list.

Hopefully they are just super busy for such a small operation and those will be incoming shortly but I'd imagine there are some who are pretty pissed right now and they might be losing some customers. I've got plenty of other distractions and if it takes awhile so be it but they might be hurting themselves by not processing these quicker with some influx of players right now with steam launch and topics like this.

Yeah, I have not received mine still. It's not a smooth process at all. Especially since people who purchase a lower level pack on Steam get it immediately while backers and higher level supporters don't. 

I'm still playing by using the alpha launcher. Their saving grace in this is that the people who aren't getting it immediately already know about the game either from backing it early or purchasing directly and bypassing Steam. Still messy. They had a couple upgrade packages on the Gorgon shop for a short while to upgrade to the 75 and 100 level packages if you bought on Steam, but they took them down. Based on what I read in the forums it sounds like they feared the whole Steam rule of giving out keys for better reviews, but I think that's erring on the side of extreme caution if that's the case.

Good luck and maybe we'll catch each other in game sometime!

I understand where you're coming from, but to be totally honest, thats a jaded and negative attitude to have, not only for a game but for the gaming population in general.  Negative reviews will always be a part of the MMO experience.  That is unavoidable culture that the MMO community has evolved into.  Even so, even in platforms like Steam you will also find a great many games with "Overwhelmingly Positive" reviews by the gaming community.  Many of those games being not only of the "janky and quirky" variety, but very old and dated, 2D scrollers, top down, isometric, etc., and everything in between. 

Hiding your game for fear of negative reviews is no way to run a game.  Advertising and exposure are a necessary evil for any product that is being peddled to the masses.  And that is especially applicable to MMO games.  Players will come and go with constant exposure, but there will only be a "go" and no "come" if there is no exposure to the masses.  If a game is good, it will find its niche, and players will play it regardless.  Hiding your game for fear of negative feedback will only result in deserted servers and the eventual shutting down of the game.

I don't disagree and don't necessarily think they should try to hide the game so much as market it to the right crowd where the reception would likely be better. AMAs, MMO specific websites (I think those exist... :/ ), even more general gaming news type sites. The finding their niche is definitely the key. Steam is not very kind to MMOs.

A lot of those janky and quirky old games have that good/great feedback because they have less exposure and are generally only sought or found by people who are looking for a particular genre, style, or what have you. Then those people might talk friends into playing with them or spread the word to other people who may be more interested than random person who happened to see there is a newly released game and it is free or cheap.

On the niche subject, I think it would serve us all, devs/pubs more so, to realize that MMORPGs are an extreme niche and plan and prepare with that in mind. Before WoW the entire market was maybe a couple million players world-wide. WoW was WoW. WoW is WoW. They brought as many people in as they did based on name(s) as they did on what it was. That population won't move anywhere else because anywhere else isn't WoW. Add the whole first MMO rose colored glasses effect on that and you'll never see that population migrate. They just leave the genre altogether. There are plenty of good FPSs also, but they only drag away the CoD crowd until the next CoD. WoW itself has changed for that crowd and become less and less MMO feeling along the way as they added in arenas and turned many things into more of a hub game feel. That's their crowd. MMORPG early, then what effectively becomes Diablo (Raids) or Overwatch (PvP/Arenas) at end game. Other games can grab a small core and maybe expand from there, but don't plan to pull and hold any of those millions out the gate. Know your market. We need to stop counting arbitrary things like concurrent players or registered accounts because they mean dick if it doesn't translate into revenue. If players come just because it is free/cheap then that has no beneficial effect anyways. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited March 2018
    DMKano said:

So best case scenario:

1300 * $40 = 52,000

Steam takes 30%:

52000-15600=36,400

Back in 2012 their kickstarter goal was $55k to become a goal of $100k to become a goal of $20k to actually get some money so they could go for a $20k flexgoal on indiegogo meaning they could keep the money since they failed to reach that goal so they could go for a steam early access launch.

It wouldn't be much of a problem if it weren't for small team indie mmorpg developers having a tendency to literally take forever to reach full release quality.

Its why I only pay for finished products when it comes to mmorpg.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited March 2018
    This game has a lot of good things in it... But I never could get by the whole animal curse thing lol. Felt like it broke the feel of everything else haha. I may try it again someday
    Slapshot1188
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Shaigh said:
    DMKano said:

So best case scenario:

1300 * $40 = 52,000

Steam takes 30%:

52000-15600=36,400

Back in 2012 their kickstarter goal was $55k to become a goal of $100k to become a goal of $20k to actually get some money so they could go for a $20k flexgoal on indiegogo meaning they could keep the money since they failed to reach that goal so they could go for a steam early access launch.

It wouldn't be much of a problem if it weren't for small team indie mmorpg developers having a tendency to literally take forever to reach full release quality.

Its why I only pay for finished products when it comes to mmorpg.
    So like me, you haven't had much opportunity the past few years to buy a new, finished MMORPG right?  I mean, there was Albion Online....but..... yeesh.... 

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    16 Combat Skills
    71 Trade Skills

errr... i'd call that a niche game, gl to them :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thanks for the links I'll try out the alpha. :smile:

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2018
    Thane said:
    16 Combat Skills
    71 Trade Skills

Probably quite enough, considering players can learn them all, and also combine any two into something else.

"The combat skills are entirely free-form. You can learn as many combat skills as you want, and use any two of them at the same time to create your own personal “class.”

So I assume, you take a mace, combine it with fire skill...and use your fire mace to smash things.... sounds pretty cool.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Thane said:
    16 Combat Skills
    71 Trade Skills

Probably quite enough, considering players can learn them all, and also combine any two into something else.

"The combat skills are entirely free-form. You can learn as many combat skills as you want, and use any two of them at the same time to create your own personal “class.”

So I assume, you take a mace, combine it with fire skill...and use your fire mace to smash things.... sounds pretty cool.
    It is cool.

Where I personally think they jumped the shark was with the over the top animal skill lines.  You can become a cow or a deer and level up.  They even have their own town...

Or at least they did when I was playing many moons ago.

It also used to be that you had to complete certain quests or get items to start to unlock a skill.  I remember for Necromancer it was a certain boss in a dungeon.

Sovrath[Deleted User]

Torval said:
    Thanks for the links I'll try out the alpha. :smile:
    Cool. I hope you like it. There are some people around Serbule. There is a chat channel for help too. It has a steep learning curve. I hope that won't discourage you.
    @Torval Just tried it for awhile and I like it a lot.  I love exploration and this takes me back to earlier gaming in a good way.  Will become a patron.