Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited March 2018
    All you need is the base package. Rest is optional.:wink:
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited March 2018
    Babuinix said:
    All you need is the base package. Rest is optional.  :D
    So then if you don't want to pay money for credits, you have to grind credits?
    edited March 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Nah I'll steal cargo from the landing pad and dance for tips at the bars. I'll use my space legs to pimp my way through the universe. Make my own fun! B)
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    Nah I'll steal cargo from the landing pad and dance for tips at the bars.

I'll use my space legs to pimp my way through the universe. 

Make my own fun!  B)
    Eww. The ultimate grind. Begging for tips. That you think stealing/begging/"pimping?" isn't going to be a grind (possibly up to 3 billion times slower than just doing the gameplay loops) is just sad.

You are so disingenuous it's getting creepy. You want to avoid the fact that in SC, people that don't want to pay real money for credits will have to grind for them. All for what? So that you can talk shit about another space game? It's time to be honest about this shit. Watching this kind of bullshit is getting old.
    edited March 2018
    Yes I guess that dancing for tips will involve some kind of grinding B)

Doesn't really matter what you do as long as people are having fun doing it.

That's why it's so important to have as many varied and engaging mechanics as possible.

Space legs is a mechanic that just so happens to open a lot of opportunities ;) 
    Babuinix said:
    Yes I dancing for tips will involve some kind of grinding after all. B)

Doesn't really matter what you do as long as people are having fun doing it.

That's why it's so important to have as many varied and engaging mechanics as possible.
     ;) 
    I agree that, especially for this game and its vision, it is important to have varied activities. But to pretend like these activities won't amount to the same grind seen in every other game is just stupid. Actually, many of these little side activities are just going to be cheesy fluff.

For instance, dancing for tips entails typing a dance emote (or use whatever input) and waiting. A terrible grind that might even be able to be done while afk.

Stealing cargo from friendly bases sounds like fun, but if they actually make it lucrative, it will trivialize everything else. In the end, they will, without any doubt in my mind, make stealing trivial and keep the other parts of the game intact. They've already backpedaled on stealing ships. If you steal one, you can only fly around in it till you log out. It ends up being a "haha" moment, but ultimately feels hollow (and doesn't net anyone credits).

It's all fluff without substance, and until I actually see one of these things implemented in a way that makes it work well, I'll just take your fantasy of "dancing for tips that doesn't feel grindy" with a grain of salt. 

Pft. No grind for credits in SC. What a joke.
    rpmcmurphy
    Use your imagination! It's only a grind if you make it so! Make your own fun!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Babuinix said:

And there's the problem, at the moment you don't have any variety or any engaging mechanics regardless of space legs.
    Babuinix
    edited March 2018
    Babuinix said:

And there's the problem, at the moment you don't have any variety or any engaging mechanics regardless of space legs.
    I'l have to wholeheartedly disagree.

Seeing that in Star citizen you are an actual avatar and not a vehicle and that vehicles are actually fully modelled where you can go inside and walk around opens up much more gameplay interaction and engaging activities.

The fact that you can fly any ship you can put your hands on is a nice touch.

The fact that you can join your friends or foes in said ship's is a cool because it opens up proper multicrew/boarding/stowaway gameplay.

The fact that cargo runs are more than docking and checking menus is nice.

The fact that you can end up competing or cooperating with other players for cargo adds to the unpredictability of occurrences.

The fact that you have FPS weapons is nice too .... Being able to board other ships...nice too....EVA from one ship to another ship...cool...

And this is just the basic stuff but a huge technical achievement nonetheless.

Don't even need to mention the fact that there's arena commander module where you can play solo, with friends in both pvp and pve. Dogfighting or Racing.

Star Marine for FPS gunplay with EVA to the mix...
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Odeezee
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Grind for currency to get things in one MMO? hmmmm 
    MaxBacon said:
    Grind for currency to get things in one MMO? hmmmm 
    Of course I'm fine with the idea. It was the implication from the other person that you don't have to in SC that was so stupid.

So I am in full agreement with your sentiment in this case.
    edited March 2018
    Of course I'm fine with the idea. It was the implication from the other person that you don't have to in SC that was so stupid.

It is not stupid when you think of it, SC is a game where a ship is a vehicle, over the small ones they allow for multi-crew, so is that by itself that would allow you to play through things that require a certain ship (say multi-crew mining with Orion, or salvaging operations with the Reclaimer) without having to grind to own the "gear" first. It's just something the setup of the game allows, unlike the typical MMO-gear grind.
    MaxBacon said:

It is not stupid when you think of it, SC is a game where a ship is a vehicle, over the small ones they allow for multi-crew, so is that by itself that would allow you to play through things that require a certain ship (say multi-crew mining with Orion, or salvaging operations with the Reclaimer) without having to grind to own the "gear" first. It's just something the setup of the game allows, unlike the typical MMO-gear grind.
    If you want credits, you grind. The issue wasn't gear or ships or whatever. It was credits. And grouping with people to grind credits is still grinding credits. It doesn't matter what you want them for.

Or you can just pay real cash.
    The problem is not really the act of "grinding" or doing the "in-game work" to achieve something.
    It's that if you have fun doing so and that in the end if it feels worth it and meaningful. 

If the only way of feeling progression in a game is by grinding the same repetitive unengaging tasks and there's nothing more to it people get bored fast and move on.

edited March 2018
    If you want credits, you grind. The issue wasn't gear or ships or whatever. It was credits. And grouping with people to grind credits is still grinding credits. It doesn't matter what you want them for.

Well yes that is the very core of how it always works, I was more understanding that more on the "gear" aspect of grinding.

The defenition for me is not that global when you speak of grinding, to me would be just the act of doing something to accumulate credits, for others grinding is more related to repetitive tasks that aren't fun,
    MaxBacon said:

Well yes that is the very core of how it always works, I was more understanding that more on the "gear" aspect of grinding.

The defenition for me is not that global when you speak of grinding, to me would be just the act of doing something to accumulate credits, for others grinding is more related to repetitive tasks that aren't fun,
    I agree that it's a relative term. I just disagree when someone acts like SC won't have that grind while other games do. Like it's going to break that aspect of gaming and no one will feel a grind again or something.
    rpmcmurphy
    I agree that it's a relative term. I just disagree when someone acts like SC won't have that grind while other games do. Like it's going to break that aspect of gaming and no one will feel a grind again or something.
    Yeah it's impossible for one MMO to break that when the games are created to feed content and goals into people that will play them for years, it always gets to that point where you keep playing but you know the game won't give you that experience you have through the first times you run through the different content and mechanics it has.

Calling All Devs - Market Tracking, Radar Display & E-War

Around the Verse - The Sounds of Science

Hm the Hangars finally being worked to get them to be modular, not sure how will hangars get added, either it is a persistent location that it's yours, or something more BDO housing like where the hangar type is there you just go to it and it loads your interior.

One of the moons of Hurston WIP:

There seems there'll be a community poll to get input to flesh out the roadmap priorities, no idea what the specifics of it are, should be up soon.
    edited March 2018
    Can you post some gameplay videos of people "exploring" ships? I'm curious about what they may find doing so.
    I think this is what Max was referring to when he talked about exploring the Reclaimer: 

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    There is an ongoing vote on which features should CIG put a focus on for 3.2

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16468-Alpha-32-Feature-Survey

Amongst a lot of other things the salvage mechanic is by far the most wanted feature.

"Profession-Based MechanicsAs mining will be the primary profession-based mechanic introduced in Alpha 3.2, we would like to know which of these three gameplay mechanics you would like to see implemented next. Your feedback will help us decide how to prioritize them for future releases in order to make room for these continued quality of life improvements.
    Salvage Systems: The ability to scavenge materials from wrecked ships you’ve destroyed yourself or discovered.

Repair Systems: The ability to repair your own ship, or use a repair vessel to help others, either for free or for a contract fee.

Refuel Systems: The ability to gather and transport fuel, with the options to sell it to other players, and use it to remotely refuel ships using associated technology."

"Feature Improvements

Quantum Linking

This feature gives players the ability to sync up with their friends when making quantum jumps. Aside from making grouped multi-ship travel possible, Quantum Linking also helps if you are interdicted, as the friends you brought along with you can help. This system will be used in tandem with AI or player-created missions through the service beacon, so the people hired to help will be linked to you when they jump.

Improved Interdiction

Work on this feature will create a variety of different interdiction scenarios for players, as well as provide the opportunity to trap other players and AI Non-Player Characters using a Quantum Jammer that can be added as a ship component or deployed in a self-powered buoy, like a mine.

Service Beacon Improvements

The Service Beacon will expand and evolve to include new contract types, additional filters, and more feedback precision. AI characters will be able to interface with the system so that they too will be able to request help and provide assistance to others, which will in turn increase both how much of this type of “immediate” content we can offer at any given time, as well as the likelihood that someone – whether player or Non-Player Character – will be drawn to respond to your calls for support.

First Tier of Guilds & Associations

We are going to create member associations within the Universe that give players different benefits. These will ultimately include the Bounty Hunter’s Guild, Merchant’s Guild, etc., but there will also be member-based services, themed to fit different player types. For example, the United Wayfarers Club provides repair and refuel assistance for pilots broken down in space and also grants discounts for these services at CryAstro.

Party System

These improvements will improve the player’s ability to create groups, allowing you to team up with friends to join the same game instance and cooperate on jobs and missions.

Team Chat

Improvements to the team chat system that will polish communication between players and make the experience more robust and intuitive. Work on this system will also begin to factor in the incorporation of Spectrum into the game.

Economy/Shopping UI Experience

The feature includes the implementation of Shopping Kiosks in the stores and increased variation of available products, including ship items and weapons not physically available to display (or even buy) in stores.

Item 2.0 Ship Systems and Weapons

Feature work would include finalizing Item 2.0 functionality that, allows them to overheat, misfire and suffer critical failures based on factors such as increased wear or damage. It would also introduce deeper functionality to upgradeable items so new power plants, shields, coolers, stealth and comms/radar all make a marked difference to the ship’s performance based on how they are configured.

FPS AI Combat

The first stage of getting combat AI into the Persistent Universe. This would expand mission types by introducing the risk that an AI could be waiting to ambush you on a distant moon, or in a hulk drifting in space."

Have fun
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2018
    Erillion said:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16468-Alpha-32-Feature-Survey
    I think this is strange time for them to start deciding features for 3.2. Those all sound like things that the company would want to know at least a month in advance, assign it to a team, make more detailed plan on how the team is going to do it, do a company-wide meeting on what expertise and support each team lacks and what they might have a bit too much, and have detailed plans ready in advance.

Why on earth is RSI making the decisions this late?
    OdeezeeScotchUp

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:

I think this is strange time for them to start deciding features for 3.2. Those all sound like things that the company would want to know at least a month in advance, assign it to a team, make more detailed plan on how the team is going to do it, do a company-wide meeting on what expertise and support each team lacks and what they might have a bit too much, and have detailed plans ready in advance.

IMHO They HAVE made their decisions. Now they are checking if these decisions are in line with what the community wants. A reality check. 

If CIG sees that there is a significant delta between their plans and the community wishes, they will reshuffle some resources to bring the two views into congruence.

(There is more text explaining this - see the link. I did not post all here.)

Have fun
  • OdeezeeOdeezee Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:

what are you even talking about? 3.2 is coming out at the end of June, in other words a little over 3 months from now O.o

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"
    For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG