Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Removes Paid Loot Boxes & Introduces New Progression System - Star Wars: Battlefront II - MMORPG.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    For a moment there I thought It'd be fun to go back to those old threads with people saying the "butthurt" wouldn't amount to much or change anything... not worth the effort though.

No matter how much spin they put on this they got some serious and well deserved egg on their face. And it looks good on them.

yea but , they just wipe that egg off with thousand dollar bills and move on .. no harm no foul .. business is business
    Yeah there's nothing new about that. There is no underestimating the power of the spin or the short memory of the masses. VW diesels are selling well again.

But egg is still egg and a not insignificant minority has a long memory. The masses can do what the masses do but EA can fuck itself.

If anything, maybe it represents a clear line drawn in the sand. Sure, I'm certain they'll toe it and they'll probably even lean over a bit, but hopefully it's a precedent setting win for games overall. Certainly smaller dev houses couldn't weather that same shit storm and still post profits. 
    I think the line has been clear and well-defined for a long time and they were foolish to try to cross it: the vast majority of gamers are quite sensitive to core game play monetized piece meal while being very tolerant of ancillary virtual goods being monetized just that way.

People can rant and rave all they want about putting an unfair burden on those who like to decorate and dress up - and they're not wrong - but the masses tolerate cosmetics being sold whichever way for however much. Fuck with the core game play at your own peril though.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    For a moment there I thought It'd be fun to go back to those old threads with people saying the "butthurt" wouldn't amount to much or change anything... not worth the effort though.

No matter how much spin they put on this they got some serious and well deserved egg on their face. And it looks good on them.

yea but , they just wipe that egg off with thousand dollar bills and move on .. no harm no foul .. business is business
    Yeah there's nothing new about that. There is no underestimating the power of the spin or the short memory of the masses. VW diesels are selling well again.

But egg is still egg and a not insignificant minority has a long memory. The masses can do what the masses do but EA can fuck itself.

If anything, maybe it represents a clear line drawn in the sand. Sure, I'm certain they'll toe it and they'll probably even lean over a bit, but hopefully it's a precedent setting win for games overall. Certainly smaller dev houses couldn't weather that same shit storm and still post profits. 
    I think the line has been clear and well-defined for a long time and they were foolish to try to cross it: the vast majority of gamers are quite sensitive to core game play monetized piece meal while being very tolerant of ancillary virtual goods being monetized just that way.

People can rant and rave all they want about putting an unfair burden on those who like to decorate and dress up - and they're not wrong - but the masses tolerate cosmetics being sold whichever way for however much. Fuck with the core game play at your own peril though.
    My guess is they were emboldened by their success in FIFA, where it seems gamers have no issue letting money taint the core game play.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/ea-sports-ultimate-team-mode-revenue-per-year-fut-fifa-ultimate-team-650-billion-030216

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited March 2018

SBFord said:

Hashbrick said:

They must really have been hit in the pocket books to backpedal so fast on this. Normally EA is stubborn and will just continue no matter the hate and outcry.

While technically a "small" hit, the company lost $3B in one quarter directly due to the loot box problem.

wrong its share price as i broke when it started to drop was about 120 a share it got as low as 100.60 ( in fact more then 5.5 billion valuation ) and is now sitting at nearly 130 a share or 30% increase since it low point. https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ea/interactive-chart?timeframe=1y and you can see how fast it recovered, one odd thing both EA and activsion blizzard are going up and down nearly identical....makes ya wonder. I dont know aobut you but any company that grows 10 % a month is bound for a huge fall at some point
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:

My guess is they were emboldened by their success in FIFA, where it seems gamers have no issue letting money taint the core game play.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/ea-sports-ultimate-team-mode-revenue-per-year-fut-fifa-ultimate-team-650-billion-030216

MLB and NHL also have the same idea now. They ramped it up in MLB as well, dropping the online franchise mode in favor of the Diamond Dynasty, which I think is much more aligned with the Ultimate Team. So I'm sure they'll see some bumped revenues on that. Also, that article was from 2016, so I wouldn't be surprised if those revenues are over $1B

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:

MLB and NHL also have the same idea now. They ramped it up in MLB as well, dropping the online franchise mode in favor of the Diamond Dynasty, which I think is much more aligned with the Ultimate Team. So I'm sure they'll see some bumped revenues on that. Also, that article was from 2016, so I wouldn't be surprised if those revenues are over $1B
    The Hockey Ultimate Team thing in NHL is like a weird trading card game tacked on to it. I don't know who it's popular with but I suspect it'd be young kids.

My son and I just play the basic game the same way we've been doing it for 20 years usually co-op against the computer. It still also has all the same old solo simulations like GM mode, season, throwing all the players into a pool and drafting a team from that , etc. That core play still does not require any extra cash. It's just the HUT part that works similar to lootboxes for whoever is into that.

IDK about FIFA and the others but I have no complaints about how I play the NHL game.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Isn't the damage already done? 
    infomatz
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

SBFord said:

Hashbrick said:

They must really have been hit in the pocket books to backpedal so fast on this. Normally EA is stubborn and will just continue no matter the hate and outcry.

While technically a "small" hit, the company lost $3B in one quarter directly due to the loot box problem.

Well $3B in valuation. It may have recovered since the initial outcry, but I haven';t seen it reported since it isn't really click worthy I guess
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    You guys can boycott it all you want, but if someone really wants the game and is happy now that progression isn't tied to store purchases, it's in their best interest to buy it now that it's been addressed.

I remember boycotting the Syfy network after cancelling Farscape and HBO for cancelling Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale in a short period of time. But I eventually caved when they showed commitment to high quality shows that interested me.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    LilithM said:
    I bought the game, got bored in multiplayer and decided that maybe I will solo stuff since I just find that more fun. But I guess it's useless now considering you don't get anything that way. Thus me buying it in the first place was a complete waste of money. They should remove any ability to solo anything in the game except the campaign, there's no point with the single player part anyway.

The solo campaign is actually really good and worth it to go through. I bought it for that and it was worth it.

The multiplayer is forever ruined with the loot box scandal progression system.

They are going to remove paid loot boxes, but they are there nonetheless. That damage has been done.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2018
    Still not buying this game, and here is why...

On one hand, when a company makes a mistake and then fix it, you support them as a token of appreciation for listening to feedback.

On the other hand, that was not the case here. EA didn't make a mistake, they implemented a well-planed royal middle finger for their fans and got caught red handed.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:

The Hockey Ultimate Team thing in NHL is like a weird trading card game tacked on to it. I don't know who it's popular with but I suspect it'd be young kids.

My son and I just play the basic game the same way we've been doing it for 20 years usually co-op against the computer. It still also has all the same old solo simulations like GM mode, season, throwing all the players into a pool and drafting a team from that , etc. That core play still does not require any extra cash. It's just the HUT part that works similar to lootboxes for whoever is into that.

IDK about FIFA and the others but I have no complaints about how I play the NHL game.

Yeah, and my son is more into the MLB side. I think it's relatively similar, although they do have the ability for people to sell their own cards (players) for in-game currency via an auction-like function. So you could get money entirely free, but there is also the option of buying the in-game currency. I know one of my son's friends has spent like $50 in there on card packs, but none of my kids are really that into it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

Aeander said:

Never forget the original intent. Don't reward them just for walking back on their bullshit. Attempted transgressions require penalties.

Logic that kept me far from the Xbox 1 and their DRM/Used Game charge model
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited March 2018

On one hand, when a company makes a mistake and then fix it, you support them as a token of appreciation for listening to feedback.

On the other hand, that was not the case here. EA didn't make a mistake, they implemented a well-planed royal middle finger for their fans and got caught red handed.
    Nah, you're personalizing this way too much.

Had they realized this was a "middle finger" they would never have done it. No company would. I've worked for many companies and never once, ever, had any one of them said "hey, let's screw over our customers ... and ...

It's just a monetization scheme that didn't work.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2018
    Sovrath said:

Had they realized this was a "middle finger" they would never have done it. No company would. I've worked for many companies and never once, ever, had any one of them said "hey, let's screw over our customers ... and said ...

I can't see how they design and entire game progression based on paid loot boxes without realizing the big controversy and problem they will cause. I think they were very aware of it but because they make a lot of money with practices like this in FIFA and other games they went for it... and this time backfired.

EDIT: maybe they dont see it as "lets screw up our customers", but it looks like they are throwing shit to the wall to see what sticks. And Andrew Wilson is obsessed with aggressive microtransactions tactics.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Xodic said:

Sovrath said:

Had they realized this was a "middle finger" they would never have done it. No company would. I've worked for many companies and never once, ever, had any one of them said "hey, let's screw over our customers ... and said ...

I can't see how they design and entire game progression based on paid loot boxes without realizing the big controversy and problem they will cause. I think they were very aware of it but because they make a lot of money with practices like this in FIFA and other games they went for it... and this time backfired.

EDIT: maybe they dont see it as "lets screw up our customers", but it looks like they are throwing shit to the wall to see what sticks. And Andrew Wilson is obsessed with aggressive microtransactions tactics.

Seeing what sticks while forcing change by slowly pushing the envelop and increasing the tolerance for bad practice. Yesterday all loot boxes were bad, now they're acceptable compared to loot boxes being tied to progression. Tomorrow, loot boxes tied to progression will be acceptable compared to... well, they really nailed it because I can't think of anything worse than loot boxes being tied to progression.

They won't stop until everyone has a credit card reader hooked up to a PC.
    Shhh, keep it down or they will hear you. 

There's no end to the number of bad ideas for monetization.   Just the other day players of Soulbound were given the "privilege" to "stack" subscription tiers (silver and gold) in order to more than double their daily pool of energy.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    Xodic said:

Sovrath said:

Seeing what sticks while forcing change by slowly pushing the envelop and increasing the tolerance for bad practice. Yesterday all loot boxes were bad, now they're acceptable compared to loot boxes being tied to progression. Tomorrow, loot boxes tied to progression will be acceptable compared to... well, they really nailed it because I can't think of anything worse than loot boxes being tied to progression.

They won't stop until everyone has a credit card reader hooked up to a PC.
    This position has merit.  Some may call it a slippery slope, but I think there's ample evidence in the industry to give this position credence.

This idea that "oh it's okay, they're at least not doing X" should really be phrased, "it's not that bad yet, just wait until they start doing X!"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I really don't like the idea of Linear Progression - Star Cards. I hope that idea doesn't catch on in other games. Progression through random drops, yuk.
    [Deleted User]Bakgrind

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Torval said:
    I liked Brian Fargo's tweet today, "I’m curious. What made EA’s loot boxes worse than others?"

I love how he phrased the question and the answers that followed. It's something to think about in a broader context.
    Well everyone loves to hate EA even though companies like Take Two Interactive, Ubisoft as well as many others do the same thing. 
    [Deleted User]Sovrath
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sovrath said:

So, it's your second paragraph that gets it right on the nose.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    People should turn their focus to Disney itself. Just take a look at how insane their price increases have been over the last few years.  Then they went the micro-transaction route in their parks letting you buy things like a parking spot (at their hotels and parks) pay more to skip the lines, pay more to stay in the park later, pay more to go to different parks, pay more to go to the same park based on the day...

Its a free market and they will charge what they can get away with, but they are just as “greedy” as EA... they just haven’t figured out how to use lootboxes yet. 

Octagon7711[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    People should turn their focus to Disney itself. Just take a look at how insane their price increases have been over the last few years.  Then they went the micro-transaction route in their parks letting you buy things like a parking spot (at their hotels and parks) pay more to skip the lines, pay more to stay in the park later, pay more to go to different parks, pay more to go to the same park based on the day...

Its a free market and they will charge what they can get away with, but they are just as “greedy” as EA... they just haven’t figured out how to use lootboxes yet. 

If you collected their pins you'd find they know how to use lootboxes too.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

kitarad said:

That's better cosmetics is fine.

Disney is also a factor in that aspect.

Apparently cannon is an issue with customization or cosmetics.

So Pink Darth Vader ruins the SW universe, according to Disney.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Too little and too late, tbh the game is literally yesterdays fish and chip paper, at this point is anyone even remotely interested in the game anymore?  :/
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Lol someone mentioned lootboxes should be in their phone games, its insane as is. I play galaxy of heroes and new characters that are released are usually ~$300 for ONE toon(side note, I go f2p on it for this reason alone). Not to mention I think this might be one of the strangest interactions between a dev and the community: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/163013/feedback-last-update-broke-everything-about-the-sith-team-in-my-opinion He had to of been drunk or it wasn't him lol.

Also Slap, Disney parks are one thing, Disney infinity would be what your looking for lol. What a waste of money!
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Loot boxes should never be allowed unless it' a f2p game.

what ever happened to buying the game on a cassette and then playing the game in its complete glory without having to download patches/expansions or buying "additional" content...
    Iselin