Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Gorgon - Should You Buy It Now? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageProject Gorgon - Should You Buy It Now? - MMORPG.com

After what seems years of waiting, indie MMORPG Project Gorgon has finally landed on Steam’s Early Access platform. For a one-time cost of $40 ($30 on sale), you can finally give the husband and wife team of Elder Game your support. There’s also an official store for larger packages for the hardcore fans. But the question is, with this being a sort of “launch”, is Project Gorgon something you should devote your hard earned cash towards?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    "And if you see Begud wandering about as a Cow, don’t milk me."

Lol! So what does this cow skill actually let you do?
    [Deleted User]BillMurphyMrMelGibsonsasa777Moonffang
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    actually if you have to ask if somehting deserve your money then the answer is always no, if you are asking that question its not worthy, if was you would spend and not ask this
    ZombieCatjimmywolfdarkheartsGdemamiGrendizer73sasa777MoonffangScotCapodecina
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Leiloni said:

Each animal form has a unique combat line of attacks. 
    [Deleted User]LeiloniPottedPlant22MrMelGibson
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Great game , any fan of Asherons Call , Anarchy Online for ex .. would find a home in Gorgon
    [Deleted User]SovrathMitarabobbymcswansonsgelNephethchocolate42069PottedPlant22MrMelGibsonNanulak
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Cant get over the graphics.
    RhygarthOctagon7711Leilonichocolate42069onelesslightPanserbjorne39MrMelGibsonFreelancerNDOyjord
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    It is a great game, but some people just go for graphics, and no mmo can do that.
    Konfessalkarionlog[Deleted User]
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Im no cheapskate but the price is a little steep to just buy this on a whim looking the way it does. I mean they are not even trying to wine & dine me with those screenshots. Give me a trial or something....
    Octagon7711chocolate42069Panserbjorne39MrMelGibsonSamhaelOyjord
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    thunderC said:
    Im no cheapskate but the price is a little steep to just buy this on a whim looking the way it does. I mean they are not even trying to wine & dine me with those screenshots. Give me a trial or something....
    The game has been free for literally 2 years to try. It just hasn't been on steam. I mean at this point if you don't want to spend money to try it, you can always watch some gameplay on youtube or something to see if it's something you would enjoy. 
    Krynt0kManWithNoTanG4NK3Dalkarionlog
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Leiloni said:

Be delicious, would be my first guess.
    Panther2103LeiloniPottedPlant22
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    worth noting, there will be no skill wipe on actual release, just a bank wipe. Been playing for over a year in the free alpha (although I did buy the $30 kickstarter package to get steam copy) and loving it. once movement/camera gets polished and some optimization for certain areas (serbule player vendor area) I'll be super happy.
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    How does this game compare to SotA?
    MightyUnclean
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    How does this game compare to SotA?
    I can't answer that in depth but I can say, having tried both, This game has a more open world, with the exception of smaller areas such as caves and the like that are accessed through loading screens (not sure how extensive that is but it doesn't seem like Black Desert where you enter a cave or ruin and it's seemless - maybe that's here I haven't seen it).

Shroud of the Avatar has you loading into an overhead map and then you travel to another "area/map".

This game also has a quirky sense of humor about it with the whole "cow curse" thing. I think some of the other curses might also be a bit humorous.

I like this game more than Shroud of the Avatar and plan on giving this a solid "go" until Pantheon (hopefully) comes out.
    Panserbjorne39Ice-QueenLackingMMOMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Even Anarchy online looks better than this and it's 18 years old
    HarikenAlomarBellomoOyjordalkarionlog
  • GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132

Rhygarth said:

And yet, even now in this day and age of 4k monitors, pixelated games are thriving. Who would have thought? I think it proves that If a game is fun, it seems graphics don't matter to many people.
    WarzodIce-QueenGeezerGaz82AnzrielMitaraalkarionlogDelondial[Deleted User]
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    People who play solely for graphics are half the reason games are such shit now a days. WAY too many games favor graphics over gameplay and that makes for a lot of bad games on the market.
    [Deleted User]ScorchienjimmywolfunclepelomWarzodbobbymcswansonIce-QueenKyleran[Deleted User]Fangrimand 5 others.
  • ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    It's a great game, they've put so much effort and love in it. It has many features and so much depth.

I find the graphics "ok". As long as the gameplay is good, which is, graphics shouldn't be an issue.
    But unfortunately it seems like that people still have shallow criterias.

My only huge turn-off is the absence of a PvP scene.
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoli
    Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
    Grintch said:

Rhygarth said:

And yet, even now in this day and age of 4k monitors, pixelated games are thriving. Who would have thought? I think it proves that If a game is fun, it seems graphics don't matter to many people.

What can i tell you people love nostalgia, It dose not make these games any good tho

Oyjord
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    Torval said:
    crankked said:
    People who play solely for graphics are half the reason games are such shit now a days. WAY too many games favor graphics over gameplay and that makes for a lot of bad games on the market.
    I don't think just playing for visual appeal is wrong either. You can't blame people for what they like. The problem I have is when people who just love visual appeal trash a game without it and value the game based solely on that.

For me, I love the skill system. Yeah, I would love high prod graphics and wouldn't turn my nose at that. I love atmospheric immersion. But I can still immerse myself and get lost in playing around with skills and all the systems.

I can echo this sentiment, currently playing the shit outta Rift Prime.  Yes, I have BDO, I have Witcher 3, I have Vermintide 2, and they're all gorgeous.  However, I have notmissed the poly counts of BDO one single second while playing Rift.  The depth and breadth of skill trees and constant open world group content popping up are what makes me interested.
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoliBruceYeeKyleran

Rhygarth said:
    Grintch said:

Rhygarth said:

What can i tell you people love nostalgia, It dose not make these games any good tho

Tired old argument about nostalgia aside, the only con you listed for the game was graphics.  Graphics alone don't make a game good.  It makes a CGI movie.
    KyleranMitara

Rhygarth said:
    Grintch said:

Rhygarth said:

Tired old argument about nostalgia aside, the only con you listed for the game was graphics.  Graphics alone don't make a game good.  It makes a CGI movie.
    Ok Ok gfx aside the game looks clunky and omg the combat is way to boring, if you enjoy it then fair play, I did try this game some time back and i was bored of the combat after 5 mins, now you can tell me that there is this massive world to explore and stuff to find....Yarn
    Mitara[Deleted User]
    Rhygarth said:
    Rhygarth said:
    Grintch said:

Rhygarth said:

Ok Ok gfx aside the game looks clunky and omg the combat is way to boring, if you enjoy it then fair play, I did try this game some time back and i was bored of the combat after 5 mins, now you can tell me that there is this massive world to explore and stuff to find....Yarn
    Thanks for expounding.  The game is using a tried and true tab target system, which isn't really headline grabbing, I agree.  However, the appeal of this game truly comes from how unique some of the gameplay systems (such as the animal curses) are.

Again, having been made by a couple, it's the definition of a passion project.  It's an incredible achievement for a team of two, and it's the kind of innovative spirit that the western MMORPG genre is sorely lacking.  That alone makes it worth it, not because of some philosophical idea of changing the genre, but because it's an experience I can't get somewhere else.
    BruceYeeMitarainfomatz[Deleted User]

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think a weekend trial would be a great idea. I would give it a go. But the problem for me is that the market is flooded and I have a rotation of MMO's I play now and while the ideas in the game are interesting to me, the problem for me is when I play a game with older graphics it feels like a step back in my gaming. Perhaps the game is great but at this point I wouldn't spend the money they are asking to find out. I do hope they do well though.

Hopefully they get a solid playerbase that lets them sustain the game because a big problem are people who play the game like an RGP to experience the content and move on.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2018
     I still play Anarchy Online daily ... it looks like shit :)

But it has to date one of the  deepest class builds and challenge in gaming still .. Its why i like it ..

Same reason i like PG , just really unique and creative ways to build your class.. Always something to think about .. and challenging ..

The way that PG has intertwined Crafting Lore and Social skills so that they effect combat and builds is Brilliant and few games have pulled this off ...very few you could count them on one hand and not run out of fingers

And Random Fucking loot ... i love random loot more games should do it ...

[Deleted User]BruceYee[Deleted User]Nepheth
    edited March 2018

Rhygarth said:

Grintch said:

Rhygarth said:

If a game was a good game when it was released, it's still good game today.  It's not as though "The Legend of Zelda" for the NES became a bad game over last 30 years any more than the Marx Brothers films became bad movies over the last 70 years, or the Mona Lisa is now a shitty painting.  Chess is a pretty old game but I heard a few people still play it occasionally.  Anarchy Online is not a bad game just because it was released 18 years ago.

A good game is a good game regardless of when it was made.  I do understand that people's standards and expectations are often relative to what they are accustomed to based on their experiences and computer technology has made huge advancements in capability since the humble beginnings of electronic gaming.  But does this technological evolution mean that games are now "better" than they used to be?  No, it doesn't.  There are plenty of modern shit games out there that look quite pretty and the ones that are good are most often valued for how fun the game is to play, with graphics only being a part of the experience.  But the game can look good, sound good, and still play like shit.

Whether or not a game is satisfying depends on what you're looking for a in a game, and that partially depends on what you've been exposed to up to this point.  However, when you look at what happened with the NES Classic recently, a reasonable person has to admit that there's more than nostalgia behind this market interest in gameplay first, graphic fidelity second.  Sure, nostalgia is part of it, but what are people getting nostalgic about?  They're not looking back and saying to themselves "Remember those terrible games we played when we were kids?  Sure wish I could play that trash again!".  The games they played were good games, are still good games, even though they're no longer state-of-the-art.

So, it is possible for a modern game to be a good game even if it doesn't have state-of-the-art graphics, because state-of-the-art graphics are not needed for a game to be fun to play.  It's a shame that some people can't look past the graphics, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game; it's just not made for your tastes.

I am 43yo and i even had a zx81 so trust me i have played on some seriously shit gfx and yes some of them games had me playing for hours/days like speedball/brutal deluxe/dig dug but this is 2018 and i don't go to a 1990 (picture house) i go to an Imax ffs, standards have changed and I have changed with them, you can stay in the pre2000 if you like but i will be looking for a 2020 mmo...
    Mitarainfomatz
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Been keeping an eye on this for years and glad to see it progress to this stage. I'd have to agree with some of the sentiment though, graphics to me matter and I don't believe there is some trade off where good graphics means the game lacks in other areas. That's just an example of game's done wrong, mostly from corporate driven publishers, such as EA.

I find better graphics and a realism aimed art style really help with immersing me into a game, which therefore expands and increases my interest and enjoyment in all other aspects. BDO had the graphics, but lacked the realism due to the Asian art style. Obviously, most indie dev's don't have the luxury to make a game with a newer and graphically impressive engine. Even so, I don't think you can blindly discount those who favor such features, even if they can't articulate their feelings very well.

As much as I'd like to play a game that focuses on old-school features like Project Gorgon, I've become spoiled with modern graphics and action combat. I cannot play another tab target game after 20+ mmo's with them over the years. On to new things, best of luck to those who still enjoy them though.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red