Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Gorgon has launched on Steam for $40 ($30 on sale)

Comments

• darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Kickstarter backer here - they preached that the funds they were collecting for kickstarter was for asset/graphic overhaul. I jumped into the game and still looks the same. Oh did I mention they also did a indiegogo after they took the kickstarter money under the impression that was all they needed? 

I enjoyed the game which is why I funded it in kickstarter. But the way they kept asking for more money and imo not producing the things promised I have little faith in any of it.
    Leiloni
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Having played a solid chunk in the free / alpha period before the steam release. I can say the game has some solid concepts and ideas going on. There is a core there that could be really fun with a solid population playing the game.

But finding out the $39.99 or $29.99 (steam sell) price tag on it. I just can not see anyway I would spend that kind of money on the game. The player population and the looks of the game along with some of its dated mechanics just do not put it anywhere near a $39.99 game. I might be willing to drop $19.99 or a $9.99 / Free purchase price with a sub of $5 or $9.99 only because I am just not sure how dedicated I would be to playing the game for an extended period of time.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    But finding out the $39.99 or $29.99 (steam sell) price tag on it. I just can not see anyway I would spend that kind of money on the game. The player population and the looks of the game along with some of its dated mechanics just do not put it anywhere near a $39.99 game. I might be willing to drop $19.99 or a $9.99 / Free purchase price with a sub of $5 or $9.99 only because I am just not sure how dedicated I would be to playing the game for an extended period of time.
    Yup, they have to lower the price or even F2P if the MMO is to have a decent population playing and captivate more interest. Microtransactions are the way to go if they need further funding, beef up the initial purchase cost for a game like this doesn't seem it is going to work out.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Well, its nice to have a PVE sandbox MMO. I keep complaining about every sandbox MMO being a deathmatch PvP clone made for gankers and douchesnoggles who kill their own MMO and be the first ones who would die in a true PvP game requiring true skill (FPS games, EVE Online)

But, I honestly don't see any reason to play this over the Asheron's Call emulator I'm playing on...and both are about equal graphics wise...and AC has a much bigger world with tons more to do and a very huge diablo style loot system with a near infinite amount of items. Tons of dungeons and everything. And...don't have to spend 30-40 dollars to play it lol.

I agree.  The only reason I'm not playing on an AC emulator server, though, is that I've heard on here that those are being shut down with cease and desist letters.  I don't want to invest my time in an MMO that has a short lifespan.  MMOs are more of a long haul for me.  That's why I'm shying away from Project:  Gorgon, more than the price.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    I dunno, seems weird so many are complaining about the high cost of the game.

If it delivers gameplay you enjoy then the price shouldn't much matter. If the gameplay is bad its not worth playing even if free, at least to me anyways.

The price does not factor into how much I enjoy something....only the quality of the product. 

Not sure when gamers became such tightwads, but that factor alone is why we get the crap we do.

Scorchien[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:

If it delivers gameplay you enjoy then the price shouldn't much matter. If the gameplay is bad its not worth playing even if free, at least to me anyways.

The price does not factor into how much I enjoy something....only the quality of the product. 

Not sure when gamers became such tightwads, but that factor alone is why we get the crap we do.

Also lets not forget the fact it was Free for 3 years to try out ,  but as soon as they try to make a bit of money ... the tears fall ..

These are good devs who have been developing a really unique game for  5 years and have asked little of the community ..

Its worth every cent of 30$ right now .,..
    darkheartsTokken[Deleted User]Mardukk
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:

Also lets not forget the fact it was Free for 4 years to try out ,  but as soon as they try to make a bit of money ... the tears fall ..

These are good devs who have been developing a really unique game for 5 years and have asked little of the community ..

They made money multiple times. Kickstarter and Indiegogo
    Leiloni
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:

Also lets not forget the fact it was Free for 4 years to try out ,  but as soon as they try to make a bit of money ... the tears fall ..

These are good devs who have been developing a really unique game for 5 years and have asked little of the community ..

They made money multiple times. Kickstarter and Indiegogo
    umm point misseed .................... the game was F2P that entire time ..
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:

I'm not complaining about the high cost of the game from a personal perspective.  I'm concerned that the cost will drive away potential Steam players, and that the game will never obtain enough players to be viable in any long-term fashion.  That's why I'm holding off on this game, as well as most other crowdfunded and early access games.  I learned a hard lesson that cost me a couple hundred bucks on other games.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Just not quality enough for the price.   If I wanted EQ graphics / mechanics, I would go back to EQ. lol

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I didn't back the game as I'm not really into the crowdfunding idea for games, much less MMOs. I did try it when it was free to play though. The graphics and UI definitely made a poor impression at the time, but I liked the ideas and systems they had in place and where it was going. I also still play original EQ so I realize I'm an outlier on the typical gamer spectrum.

I think 20 bucks or so would be the sweet spot. Steam is going to attract a lot of non-MMO people to it who will not like it. Also a ton that only play the F2P MMOs on there or whose only MMO experience is WoW. That's a lot of built in negative reviews usually. So by that rationale, the higher price might actually help with initial reviews by keeping drive by buyers at bay.

I'm going to buy it tonight most likely. I do think 20 is a better price, but I'll pay the extra 10 for them actually letting me try it for free for so long.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Their one hope to stay alive is their super small team.  That will likely be their undoing too though, as people will get bored when no new content comes out for years.
    Leiloni
    edited March 2018
    I don't understand the position that this game isn't worth $40 when people regularly pay far more for "AAA" games with a fraction of the depth and play time that this game has.
    You'd have to consider the MMO genre.

On it, you have big most of the titles are F2P by nature, so when you compare this game and you compare you could get GW2 + Expansions for the same price, it does get very hard for a game like this to compete in worth.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I found it to be a fun, but very quirky throwback game.  I haven’t played in at least 6 months.. maybe much longer.   My small group enjoyed it but we eventually outgrew the content that was available.  They were working on some new zones but they weren’t quite ready for prime time.  May have to take another look soon but Aria is supposed to launch soon so we’ve been waiting for that...

One thing that drive me nuts was all the time they spent developing what I consider silly content like the ability to play as a deer or cow and level up skills etc...   Some may love that but to me it just seemed like a waste of precious resources.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited March 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    I don't understand the position that this game isn't worth $40 when people regularly pay far more for "AAA" games with a fraction of the depth and play time that this game has.

On it, you have big most of the titles are F2P by nature, so when you compare this game and you compare you could get GW2 + Expansions for the same price, it does get very hard for a game like this to compete in worth.
    I'm with Sedryn because that worth you are talking about can also have a subjective component.

So if you want to compare apples to apples "sure" Guild Wars 2 would "give you more" and with higher production values.

But is it actually worth it?

I suppose this is why I don't get players who complain about old games having comparable price tags to new games. They are just looking at surface things and concluding that the older game can't compete.

I've played Guild Wars 2 a bit and though it has its positives, to me, it's not worth $10. I just couldn't stand it after a while.

But let's say they relaunched Vanguard and charged $40 or $50 to buy in, I WOULD pay that. Even though I know full well it doesn't compare to Guild Wars 2 on quality and polish and Expansions.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]eddieg50
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Sovrath said:
    MaxBacon said:

I'm with Sedryn because that worth you are talking about can also have a subjective component.

So if you want to compare apples to apples "sure" Guild Wars 2 would "give you more" and with higher production values.

I suppose this is why I don't get players who complain about old games having comparable price tags to new games. They are just looking at surface things and concluding that the older game can't compete.

I've played Guild Wars 2 a bit and though it has its positives, to me, it's not worth $10. I just couldn't stand it after a while.

But let's say they relaunched Vanguard and charged $40 or $50 to buy in, I WOULD pay that. Even though I know full well it doesn't compare to Guild Wars 2 on quality and polish and Expansions.
    There are not going to be many people that will find this game to be worth $40.  That is the bottom line.
    Tokken
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Mardukk said:
    Sovrath said:
    MaxBacon said:

There are not going to be many people that will find this game to be worth $40.  That is the bottom line.
    Which contributes to the current F2P/eastern imports trend.

Niches don't get the best production values.  If we demand those values here in the west, innovation will continue to suffer for it.
    [Deleted User]

MaxBacon said:

Thing is, if you consider the gameplay of GW2 equally entertaining as this title then you have a good point. 

But if this title offers something unique and unavailable in GW2 then I don't see why this isn't the better choice.

I think a large number of people play games "for the hell if it" without any strong preferences in designs or features so this issue rears up.

But as a MMORPG player, do I really care or want these casual tourists briefly passing through the game?

Even as a Dev, what do I care about these folks outside of fleecing them of some quick cash?  Might be better off focusing on the niche who really want to play a game with the more unique features it offers and build a more loyal, long term customer base. 

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Mardukk said:
    Sovrath said:
    MaxBacon said:

Niches don't get the best production values.  If we demand those values here in the west, innovation will continue to suffer for it.
    That's a really bad ultimatum.  

Niche or indie does not mean it has to look like and play like total shit.  

What indie devs need to stop doing is trying to make their graphics realistic if they don't have the resources.  Go for a stylized look, your game will ultimately look and play 100000x better than the half-assed attempts to look "real".

Hell, Pantheon has come a long way in visuals but the animations still look like total shit.  Granted, there's still probably plenty of time for that to be worked on but the point is they have the resources.

Take for example: PUBG vs Fortnite.  PUBG is quickly becoming irrelevant because Fortnite offers MUCH better gameplay by utilizing a stylized look.

I'd rather play a game with 2.5D graphics where the animations look incredible and the gameplay is fluid than a clunky POS attempt at 3D
    Kyleran
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    Mardukk said:
    Sovrath said:
    MaxBacon said:

What indie devs need to stop doing is trying to make their graphics realistic if they don't have the resources.  Go for a stylized look, your game will ultimately look and play 100000x better than the half-assed attempts to look "real".

Hell, Pantheon has come a long way in visuals but the animations still look like total shit.  Granted, there's still probably plenty of time for that to be worked on but the point is they have the resources.

Take for example: PUBG vs Fortnite.  PUBG is quickly becoming irrelevant because Fortnite offers MUCH better gameplay by utilizing a stylized look.

I'd rather play a game with 2.5D graphics where the animations look incredible and the gameplay is fluid than a clunky POS attempt at 3D
    Only I don't feel the game plays like total shit.

That's not an ultimatum, it's reality.  If consumers in this genre are unwilling to pay for anything that doesn't include AAA production values (and let's be real, a large portion won't pay for those values, either), be prepared for more BDO and a sluggish or non-existent investor interest in funding additional titles.  Investors have largely made it clear they want no part in trying to entertain the current crowd's demands by taking risks on new western projects.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    MaxBacon said:

Thing is, if you consider the gameplay of GW2 equally entertaining as this title then you have a good point. 

But if this title offers something unique and unavailable in GW2 then I don't see why this isn't the better choice.

I think a large number of people play games "for the hell if it" without any strong preferences in designs or features so this issue rears up.

But as a MMORPG player, do I really care or want these casual tourists briefly passing through the game?

Even as a Dev, what do I care about these folks outside of fleecing them of some quick cash?  Might be better off focusing on the niche who really want to play a game with the more unique features it offers and build a more loyal, long term customer base. 
    The variety and different approaches in games do can be worth it by themselves, GW2 was one of those back then and their different approach in some things (before it turned out like it did) attracted me to pay the full price tag for it vs the F2P alternatives like Tera and such.

The thing is on MMO, those "casual tourists" have a part that translates into activate playerbase, and that keeps the game alive, it is fundamental, especially for Indies trying to sustain one MMO like this, because when it comes to Indies once that playerbase isn't active enough to a point you face a decay, that hurts revenue, and the thing dies out, like the devs of The Repopulation desperately trying to revive it but unable to grow their pops.
    Mardukk said:
    Sovrath said:
    MaxBacon said:

Only I don't feel the game plays like total shit.

That's not an ultimatum, it's reality.  If consumers in this genre are unwilling to pay for anything that doesn't include AAA production values (and let's be real, a large portion won't pay for those values, either), be prepared for more BDO and a sluggish or non-existent investor interest in funding additional titles.  Investors have largely made it clear they want no part in trying to entertain the current crowd's demands by taking risks on new western projects.

It doesn't have to look like Crysis to be appealing, just look at games like stardew valley, or terraria, or minecraft.

It has to play well though, and too many indie devs are trying to be BDO with the budget of nearly nothing. 

Do what you can afford to do really well, not what you can barely afford to do half-assed.

Quality will always matter more than graphical style.  Project Gorgon plays like it was built in the 90's.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Mardukk said:
    Sovrath said:
    MaxBacon said:

That's already a known.

But there ARE people who do see the value.

The issue is not that most people will not see the worth, the issue is "will enough people see the worth".

And what is "enough". And maybe it's only for a few years if that. Not every game needs to last forever.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Lol, some people here would probably swoon if they new how much I already have put into this game. The reason being is that is there is no game out there that is being made with similar  game design concepts of AC. For me this is the closest thing to that yet also has new ideas and the Devs are very passionate . Last night there were tons of people on coming through the starter island and the devs were on helping and answering questions of new comers. Also every night the amount of people on goes up, at any given time yesterday there between 300 and 400 people on.  
    Thank you for well illustrating my point.   You and others are seeking an AC like experience, and outside of badly run emus this game comes the closest.

Which means you are willing to pay for it, and while you may have spent more, $30 or $40 isn't a lot of money for most here to cover.

Of course folks may have to cut back on buying any ole game out there just for the heck of it, at least if really interested in this game and its features.

[Deleted User]

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I thought it had interesting ideas but was a lousy game...im going to pass.