Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Erin Roberts Interview Uncut

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    MaxBacon said:
    bcbully said:
    Max, you’re lying to all who have not listened. This dude has no speech impediment. 
    Doesn't matter what you call it, he does not speak normally as of what we usually expect in terms of how clear normal speech is, and in many examples, independent of the argumentation being made about the knowledge factor being the cause, shows that he fails to deliver and complete sentences even when he clearly knows what he is talking about. And that is what I did and still state as my opinion that it is normal to him on the way he speaks, and that this was not one situation where a dev that has by norm a smooth speech suddenly breaks apart and butchers answers.

If one wants to go make fun of someone for fails while speaking, or make it mean those fails mean X and Y,  I wouldn't say the right fit would be the one that shows the same failures on speech where he butchers sentences and coherency in literally every footage of him I've seen over the years.
    Oooh I see he has an impediment like Obama when he “umms” or Trump when rambles incoherently or GW Bush with the “fool me once.... fool me.. you can’t get fooled again” 

Is that what you’re saying?

TheScavengerPsychos1s
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    bcbully said:
    Oooh I see he has an impediment like Obama when he “umms” or Trump when rambles incoherently or GW Bush with the “fool me once.... fool me.. you can’t get fooled again” 

Is that what you’re saying?
    No, I'm saying when he fails on speech like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2o1bJQQIXE&feature=youtu.be&t=14m23s That is not that normal, it's normal when occasional and all but he seems to fall into situations like that pretty often while speaking, obviously that results in the most illogical text transcripts if you do it word-by-word.
    TheScavengerGdemamiPsychos1sEponyxDamor
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Q: And improvements to persistence as well?

Erin Roberts: to persistence and stuff yes there's a lot of improvements to persistence, there's improvements to economy, so we make it so it's gonna be the carrying cargo to make it on your map and stuff, how that works is gonna be different in terms of what you do and how you're doing things like that.

So that sort of level of stuff will come in, and then obviously the next big iteration for all that kind of stuff will be 3.2 where we're gonna add a bunch of new features such as mining and salvaging and stuff like that.

So people can go and mine and make money that way, salvage and things like that.
    Edited out all the you know and um and cap words so certain people can’t claim people are making fun of a speech impediment that isn’t there.

So the question is about improvements to persistence. Erin says there’s lots of improvements to persistence and then goes off on a complete tangent and talks about economy and mining and salvaging and doesn’t really answer the question about persistence. 

Its not a or a speech impediment if you don’t know what you’re talking about. You ask me to explain to you how supernovas are formed in detail you can bet I’m going to stutter, and use filler words because I might have a very basic concept of how supernovas are formed but the rest is me bullshitting and buying time with those filler words.
    Psychos1s
    Q: Will this be more Squadron 42 based? Are you planning to provide any extra content updates after Squadron 42 Episode One is released or just patches and bugfixes?

Erin Roberts: Yeah I mean at the moment I mean the PLAN is it's squadron, and we hope we won't be patching it, a-haha! I mean really, squadron for us is gonna be, we really wanna make sure and that's not a big thing that's why I'm kind of very quiet about it and don't show it too much until we want to do different stuff and things but

That’s the thing we wanna release, and when we release it we don't want to have I don't we won’t release it

And the great thing about the way we do this is, we and especially because we're live and you know we can just, you download it is we don't have we don't have some problem where somebody says, 'Well you have to get to manufacturing by this date, oh well we'll just finish this off and we'll patch it later'

So we want that first experience when it comes out, we feel it's a good experience the first time it goes out and people will really blow their mind
    But Squadron because obviously A, we think it's a massive great story and a brilliant game, and we wanna make sure we don't ruin it

So Squadron will come out when it's ready, so hopefully, on the patch side, I mean you can't say maybe there'll be one or two edge case PCs and we'll find some problem and fix it, there's a little patch for that but hopefully it should really work well.

Straight after that, the plan will be to go straight on to the second episode.

Q: Can you tell me more about the current target for players on the server by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
     We are gonna be first off we wanna see how much one server can handle, so obviously we went from 24 to 50 now, we've improved the ability in as we said now as we optimise and cache our locations a little bit better for that sort of stuff and also a lot of work going on in the codebase to optimise that to make sure theres

the something like object container streaming is great for client, for a server the server has to know about everything anyway. Now it doesn't need to it doesn't physically need to have it there's some information it doesn’t need, so it needs to know but it needs to know everything... where everybody is, it needs to know, some of the physics situations for that but it doesn't need, it doesn't need to draw anything but it needs to understand that kind of stuff, the problem is you're doing the whole server for a lot of people, it's doing a lot of calculations and so forth

Well actually not a lot of calculations and actually when the servers aren't hitting these edge cases  they're actually pretty good shape, so we're seeing that we know that actually they can handle it, but there are some bugs that's what I'm saying, in the next few weeks we really wanna if we can knock one or two out of the park and fix those that'll be better for sorry the QUESTION, going back to the...

Q:
     What's your TARGET for number of players in a server by the end of the year? Blue skies thinking, I'm not going to hold you to it.

Erin Roberts:
     We would like to, I mean we're pushing hard, we want to get to about a hundred people, if we can do that and then and then of course when the server meshing comes online then they'll be dynamic in terms of it'll be location specific because you could have a server that is basically managing a room, and if it's just basically an arena or just people wandering around in an FPS you could probably, the server could probably manage a lot more than 100.

But if the server's managing an area of space, when you've got ships which are basically got lots of moving parts, lots of stuff going on, maybe you have, maybe you can't handle so many.

So this is where we use the server power to say, this is what this server will handle', and the server will handle anything from a system down to a room and if we if all of a sudden,  your whole guild decides to trundle in, into meet up in one place then we can just say, 'OK, we better make one server just handle that situation', and then when you walk out of that place and it transfers to another server because that's the rate that the walkway outside,

That's the way it's going to work.

So I think we're going to have when we say that we're trying to get the server meshing going, we'll have rudiments of it hopefully working by the end of the year, but the full thing working properly will not be until next year.

Q:
     Is there a POTENTIAL that you will have thousands of players in a SHARD by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
     Ummm

I'm not sure

We'll see
    bartoni33EponyxDamorPsychos1s
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I'm not going to watch it, but pulling out one bad looking response looks like cherry picking.  You have to judge it on the whole
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    So, Erin Roberts tends to get flustered when he's required to dissemble or prevaricate (ie lie) about troublesome aspects of the game he's helping to develop?

Why do they even have him on screen with anyone not coached to pitch only softball questions?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    I'm not going to watch it, but pulling out one bad looking response looks like cherry picking.  You have to judge it on the whole
    So far like, 10 responses have been pulled.  None of which really give anyone besides the usual suspects much confidence in things.

Kefo said:
    Q: Will this be more Squadron 42 based? Are you planning to provide any extra content updates after Squadron 42 Episode One is released or just patches and bugfixes?

Erin Roberts: Yeah I mean at the moment I mean the PLAN is it's squadron, and we hope we won't be patching it, a-haha! I mean really, squadron for us is gonna be, we really wanna make sure and that's not a big thing that's why I'm kind of very quiet about it and don't show it too much until we want to do different stuff and things but

That’s the thing we wanna release, and when we release it we don't want to have I don't we won’t release it

And the great thing about the way we do this is, we and especially because we're live and you know we can just, you download it is we don't have we don't have some problem where somebody says, 'Well you have to get to manufacturing by this date, oh well we'll just finish this off and we'll patch it later'

So we want that first experience when it comes out, we feel it's a good experience the first time it goes out and people will really blow their mind
    But Squadron because obviously A, we think it's a massive great story and a brilliant game, and we wanna make sure we don't ruin it

So Squadron will come out when it's ready, so hopefully, on the patch side, I mean you can't say maybe there'll be one or two edge case PCs and we'll find some problem and fix it, there's a little patch for that but hopefully it should really work well.

Erin probably could have just skipped to that last sentence for this question.

Kefo said:

Q:
     Is there a POTENTIAL that you will have thousands of players in a SHARD by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
     Ummm

I'm not sure

We'll see
    Was that the final question?  After all those extremly verbose responses to the previous ones, that's a pretty amusing way to top things off.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    Of course it is the same thing. The intention of the individual is not what's important in this context, it's the people calling him by some derogatory term as a means to throw shade at him that is the important thing.

That you are trying to make excuses for such behaviour because you don't like the guy is awful, shame on you.
    Not on the same level for me. When you are calling in hate on purpose, either to get attention, wanting a fight, play victim, etc... while people who pursue those attacks are not justified by pursuing hate attacks, there's fault on both sides for me.

You missed the last bit on my post on purpose so you could continue this piece of theatre of yours. lol

"But aside of that, this is a failed attempt from you if you are trying to pin it on me, I'm sure I opposed on the thread that was posted here time ago to the posters laying the "crippled" remarks."

Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable that you would try and turn all of this around and play some form of victim card....

Fucking LOL.
    TheScavengerMaxBaconEponyxDamorPsychos1sScotchUp
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    MaxBacon said:
    If you make fun of this response you're making light of pseudologia fantastica.

Don't make fun of mental health issues. It's wrong.
    Just for clarity, you are stating I have a mental health issue right?  gg

Come imply mental issues on another poster because you are incapable to accept an opposing opinion to yours, shame on you...
    That's exactly what I'm doing. Why? Am I not allowed to?

Pardon, I thought we're allowed to just make up connections to afflictions to leverage narrative.

Is it only OK when you do it?
    Hold on, I know what I did wrong. Lemme fix it.

I stand my opinion and view of it, and won't accept your opinion is the matter of fact just because you say so.

I recommend you to be able to deal with that. I'm fine myself, you can think whatever you want and move along.

TheScavengerMaxBaconEponyxDamor
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    This guy doesn't have a speech problem at all. He has an answering problem. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, sounds more like he wasn't prepared for some of the questions.
    rpmcmurphyEponyxDamorPsychos1s
    This guy doesn't have a speech problem at all. He has an answering problem. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, sounds more like he wasn't prepared for some of the questions.
    Right. He's all fine until he doesn't know the answer and then erms, ahhs, uhs and you knows his way through it while saying a whole lot of nothing.

It's amazing that people who regularly complain about drama can then be central to generating 6 pages of deflection, accusations, insults and all manner of whiteknighting in their attempt to protect Erin Roberts from any criticism of how undefined Star Citizen is, even after 6 years.

Someone said that anyone amused by these non-answers is a desperate, petty and sad individual. I'd put forth that anyone willing to go to such lengths to deflect, accuse, insult and whiteknight over such a silly transcript is the one who is desperate, petty and sad.

sgelKefoTheScavengerMaxBaconEponyxDamorPsychos1sScotchUp
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Kefo said:

Q: Can you tell me more about the current target for players on the server by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
     We are gonna be first off we wanna see how much one server can handle, so obviously we went from 24 to 50 now, we've improved the ability in as we said now as we optimise and cache our locations a little bit better for that sort of stuff and also a lot of work going on in the codebase to optimise that to make sure theres

the something like object container streaming is great for client, for a server the server has to know about everything anyway. Now it doesn't need to it doesn't physically need to have it there's some information it doesn’t need, so it needs to know but it needs to know everything... where everybody is, it needs to know, some of the physics situations for that but it doesn't need, it doesn't need to draw anything but it needs to understand that kind of stuff, the problem is you're doing the whole server for a lot of people, it's doing a lot of calculations and so forth

Well actually not a lot of calculations and actually when the servers aren't hitting these edge cases  they're actually pretty good shape, so we're seeing that we know that actually they can handle it, but there are some bugs that's what I'm saying, in the next few weeks we really wanna if we can knock one or two out of the park and fix those that'll be better for sorry the QUESTION, going back to the...

Q:
     What's your TARGET for number of players in a server by the end of the year? Blue skies thinking, I'm not going to hold you to it.

Erin Roberts:
     We would like to, I mean we're pushing hard, we want to get to about a hundred people, if we can do that and then and then of course when the server meshing comes online then they'll be dynamic in terms of it'll be location specific because you could have a server that is basically managing a room, and if it's just basically an arena or just people wandering around in an FPS you could probably, the server could probably manage a lot more than 100.

But if the server's managing an area of space, when you've got ships which are basically got lots of moving parts, lots of stuff going on, maybe you have, maybe you can't handle so many.

So this is where we use the server power to say, this is what this server will handle', and the server will handle anything from a system down to a room and if we if all of a sudden,  your whole guild decides to trundle in, into meet up in one place then we can just say, 'OK, we better make one server just handle that situation', and then when you walk out of that place and it transfers to another server because that's the rate that the walkway outside,

So I think we're going to have when we say that we're trying to get the server meshing going, we'll have rudiments of it hopefully working by the end of the year, but the full thing working properly will not be until next year.

Q:

Erin Roberts:
     Ummm

I'm not sure

We'll see

Kefobartoni33EponyxDamorPsychos1s
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'd put forth that anyone willing to go to such lengths to deflect, accuse, insult and whiteknight over such a silly transcript is the one who is desperate, petty and sad.

"Just for clarity, you're stating that I'm clinically depressed right? gg"

TheScavengerEponyxDamorPsychos1s
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Kefo said:

Erin Roberts:

Q:

Erin Roberts:

Q:

Erin Roberts:
     Ummm

I'm not sure

We'll see
    Such an enlightening interview, from the head of production, of the most open game ever developed.
    Maybe I just don't understand how interviews work, or is it that it's a modern interview in the same vein as modern art, where each listener comes to their own deeper understanding? Alas for me, after staring into the abyss of the transcript all I see is a word salad, hastily tossed, without even the good grace to supply a dressing.

Never in the history of game development, has so much shit, been said to so many, by so few.
    kikoodutroa8
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    So far like, 10 responses have been pulled.  None of which really give anyone besides the usual suspects much confidence in things.

Well yeah.  All the signs are there that they will never iron out their optimization issues and that Chris is incapable of cutting back on features, let alone stop from continuing to add new ones.
    Right. He's all fine until he doesn't know the answer and then erms, ahhs, uhs and you knows his way through it while saying a whole lot of nothing.

It's amazing that people who regularly complain about drama can then be central to generating 6 pages of deflection, accusations, insults and all manner of whiteknighting in their attempt to protect Erin Roberts from any criticism of how undefined Star Citizen is, even after 6 years.

Someone said that anyone amused by these non-answers is a desperate, petty and sad individual. I'd put forth that anyone willing to go to such lengths to deflect, accuse, insult and whiteknight over such a silly transcript is the one who is desperate, petty and sad.

The best part of all of this is we are all terrible people because we are making fun of someone with a “speech impediment”. I didn’t realize bullshitting was a speech impediment.

Ive said it before and I’ll reiterate it again now but someone who overuses uhh and um’s and you know’s doesn’t know what they are talking about. A few here and there are fine while you try to collect your thoughts but Erin is completely lost and you can see it in his answers even with the um’s and uh’s edited out as he drifts all over the place trying to answer what should be simple enough to answer for someone in his position.
    TheScavengerEponyxDamor
    edited March 2018
    Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable that you would try and turn all of this around and play some form of victim card....

Fucking LOL.
    No mister, you are the one who comes in with "shame on you!" hyperbole when I clearly stated I judged the behavior when it happened here then anyway.  So nothing happened there aside of you failing to pin something on me.

I stand my opinion and view of it, and won't accept your opinion is the matter of fact just because you say so.

I recommend you to be able to deal with that. I'm fine myself, you can think whatever you want and move along.
    Perfect! For the record, I am not enforcing my opinion as the matter of fact, so happy days. You don't have to come with attacks stating mental health disorders on another poster like you did to end that one. 
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    TheScavengerGdemami
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Well the drama sucked me in so I HAD to watch OP's video.

Only two (2) solutions here:

1: MaxBacon has never watched British television or has never heard someones "bad" accent from GB.

2: He is totally white-knighting here.

Dude obviously does not have a "speech impediment" :D

Does he have a hard to understand regional accent? Yep. Does he sometimes have problems getting his thoughts out properly? Yep. Does it get worse when he starts grasping for answers of questions he either can't answer honestly or just does not know? Quite obviously.

Honestly Max this is beyond the pale for you. Someday you have to just face it that CIG is not ran by the best or brightest in the industry.  Doesn't mean that a game will never come out. Just that the Brothers Roberts are kinda incompetent.

TheScavengerArglebargle

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited March 2018
    bartoni33 said:
    Well the drama sucked me in so I HAD to watch OP's video.

Only two (2) solutions here:

1: MaxBacon has never watched British television or has never heard someones "bad" accent from GB.

2: He is totally white-knighting here.

Dude obviously does not have a "speech impediment" :D

Does he have a hard to understand regional accent? Yep. Does he sometimes have problems getting his thoughts out properly? Yep. Does it get worse when he starts grasping for answers of questions he either can't answer honestly or just does not know? Quite obviously.

Honestly Max this is beyond the pale for you. Someday you have to just face it that CIG is not ran by the best or brightest in the industry.  Doesn't mean that a game will never come out. Just that the Brothers Roberts are kinda incompetent.

You don't have to have any speech impediment to have a type of speech that results on you butchering phrases and so on beyond simply an accent. On the case of Erin my opinion is that he speaks before he gathers his thoughts and easily loses it especially when asked more complex questions, to me is not lack of knowledge because that shows to also happen when he clearly knows the answer (as stating something he had just said again) yet fails to deliver it anyway, ends up babbling; so in my opinion that gets worse through the footage I've seen of him on both scenarios, not only the one you mention.

The last bit of your post is useless hyperbole, is not relevant to this, neither would I stand it is and they stand without error. To the point, I stand my opinion, you stand yours, and we can all move on, if not, then this thread will get to 100 pages of this.
    rpmcmurphyEponyxDamorBabuinixPsychos1sTheScavengerGdemami
    MaxBacon said:
    On the case of Erin my opinion is that he speaks before he gathers his thoughts and easily loses it especially when asked more complex questions, to me is not lack of knowledge because that shows to also happen when he clearly knows the answer yet fails to deliver it anyway, ends up babbling; so in my opinion that gets worse through the footage I've seen of him on both scenarios, not only the one you mention.

So by that reasoning you would say a politician whom is asked about misuse of funds and gets all flustered, who flounders all over the place defending themselves or other party memebers is purely guilty of being unable to focus their thoughts and provide a coherent answer, it has nothing at all to do with having their feet held to the fire.

So much reaching...
    TheScavenger
    edited March 2018
    So by that reasoning you would say a politician whom is asked about misuse of funds and gets all flustered, who flounders all over the place defending themselves or other party memebers is purely guilty of being unable to focus their thoughts and provide a coherent answer, it has nothing at all to do with having their feet held to the fire.

So much reaching...
    I don't hold it to the same standards, this is one game dev, he is not meant to be the guy that publicly communicates and is responsible to do so clearly.  And for implying running away from questions it's not like we are talking questions that do not have answers already, it's a non-boogieman for me.

I don't care what you think, I stand my opinion relating to this specific person as I posted before.
    rpmcmurphyTheScavengerGdemami
  • DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Ah, yes, the lets complain about the non-answers of a game developer. By an industry that has a history of non-answers when a game is in development.

Add the intentional hate -------> 

Followed by the equally pathetic forum war -------->

Which leads to the forever predictable result of ------->   and

thread -----------> 

BabuinixrpmcmurphyTheScavenger
    MaxBacon said:

I don't care what you think, I stand my opinion relating to this specific person as I posted before.

If you don't care what I or others think why do you spend so much time trying to tell people they're wrong and/or defending your opinion?

That makes zero sense.

Durzax said:
    Ah, yes, the lets complain about the non-answers of a game developer. By an industry that has a history of non-answers when a game is in development.

Funny how they had all the answers when they were selling these ideas to people, now that it's got to be put into practice it's erm, uhh, errr, you know, you know, you know, you know, we'll see etc
    TheScavenger
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2018
    Durzax said:

Citation needed.

It's nice that your point is so flimsy and irrelevant that you had to attempt to deflect greater scrutiny from it with a ton of unrelated animated pictures.  It's like inserting a bunch of mini-derails into a derail.  That's some really dedicated pro-derailment, there!

MaxBacon said:

If you don't care what I or others think why do you spend so much time trying to tell people they're wrong and/or defending your opinion?

That makes zero sense.

He doesn't care what you think about his opinion yet almost EVERY OTHER POST in this thread is him rambling to people about his opinions on what they think about his opinion.  There are times in this thread when it's like

Some Guy Posts

Max Bacon posts in reply

Some other guy posts

Max Bacon posts in reply

Another guy posts

First guy posts

Max Bacon posts in reply

Max Bacon posts in reply

2nd guy posts again

Max Bacon posts in reply

All about a ridiculous derailment that Erin's clear lack of understanding and planning for his own game is actually just a speech impediment.

But don't worry. He doesn't care about others' opinions about his opinion.

For such ludicrousness, I hope he's getting paid for this, although I'm pretty sure whatever they're hypothetically paying him for it, it's still below the pay-grade for such dedication.
    MaxBaconPsychos1sTheScavenger
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Funny how they had all the answers when they were selling these ideas to people, now that it's got to be put into practice it's erm, uhh, errr, you know, you know, you know, you know, we'll see etc
    Why bring Frontier/Braben spacelegs/atmo planets "very excited for the future" speech to the mix?  :D

It's a 10 year plan!!!  :'(
    rpmcmurphyEponyxDamorsgelPsychos1sTheScavenger