Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Erin Roberts Interview Uncut

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited March 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Not taking your time to gather your thoughts does not equal a speech impediment.

The guy in the video clearly has moments where his brain gets hung up on a word or a phrase which is so different from what Erin is doing. Erin is just dancing around the subject.
    I am not talking about the pauses, I am talking about the stammering that is visible when Erin is talking, and no, not the "you knows" and so, the actual fast-paced repetition or complete stop when he gets stuck in a word.

But no one else is talking about that, the transcript doesn't cover any of that. The whole point of this discussion was what the transcript said and the way the transcript was written, it was never about things that aren't represented in the transcript....

If you are trolling you are doing a pretty good job tbh.
    TheScavengerMaxBacon
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    MaxBacon said:
    Psychos1s said:
    Is bullshit shaming now then classed as a real thing?
    We are talking about Erin, that just talks like that and we can go back years and we see him speaking with the same issues that are highlighted here to imply something specifically. If this is was another person who by norm speaks smoothly and then butchers that response like that, then yeah they messed up, but wasn't the case.

So in the context of that person is why I used the word shame because laughing at it when it seems he does indeed just speaks like that. I would be all entertaining and I would even agree with you if this wasn't with this person.

rpmcmurphy said:
    Not taking your time to gather your thoughts does not equal a speech impediment.

The guy in the video clearly has moments where his brain gets hung up on a word or a phrase which is so different from what Erin is doing. Erin is just dancing around the subject.
    I am not talking about the pauses, I am talking about the stammering that is visible when Erin is talking, and no, not the "you knows" and so, that actual fast-paced repetition during a word.

Max, you really need to learn when to stop giving ground to the trolls in an argument. Just let them write their stuff and stop responding to every God damn BS they spew. It makes you look bad. 
    TheScavengerEponyxDamor
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2018
    But no one else is talking about that, the transcript doesn't cover any of that. The whole point of this discussion was what the transcript said and the way the transcript was written, it was never about things that aren't represented in the transcript....
    But that impacts your coherency and phrasing, when I got through that when I was younger I would often "lose it" and I would just babble forward if I didn't stop or start over. We would have to run under the assumption of what impact it has, but he absolutely lost it when trying to reply some questions there (that resembled me when I went through stammering and It does resemble like I was making stuff up yet I was just unable to deliver in a coherent manner.
    TheScavenger
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Must be an American. I can't think of anywhere else where you disagree with someone who's agreeing with you. 

It's quite clear that the transcription was intentionally a parody. I mean these don't generally show up in transcripts or are represented by proper false starts and pauses. 

I'm not sure why you're being so combative when I agreed with you and @rpmcmurphy

Go watch some other interviews and you tell me that he doesn't have plenty of pauses and false starts. Honestly, he's not a smooth talker. If you're trying to sell that then you either haven't seen any other interviews or you're being willfully ignorant. 
    You said "1) YES! The post that @rpmcmurphy is directly and overtly making fun of some sort of speech impediment that can be seen in many of Erin's interviews."

It's not making fun of a speech impediment because he doesn't have one, just because someone isn't a smooth talker doesn't automatically make it a speech impediment.

Well that's not how transcripts are written, is it? I have never seen those written into an interview to that extent. So, yes, it overtly emphasizes his pauses and false starts. If he DID have a confirmed speech impediment, would you say they were making fun of him? 

Oh! And if you read past that part, you'd see that I did agree with you that he didn't answer the question.
    What it emphasizes to me is not the pauses and starts, it's all the dodgy side stepping that has become so prevalent with this entire project, so often touted as the most open ever, yet when things get asked they get swept under the rug.

Yup, that is an interpretation of it. However, why are you mocking someone with an alternate perspective when he's actually done his homework and given additional citation. 

Actually, a good interviewer should have clarified his question, since he obviously didn't get the answer to his question. It's called a follow-up. Either that or the interviewer ambushed him during a scripted interview, since people with scheduled interviews are generally given questions prior to in order to properly prepare for them. So is that what happened? I don't know. I can only speculate. Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. The point is that there are multiple reasonable explanations.

However, you didn't answer whether or not the transcription was typical of what you see in things like news articles of interviews, etc? I don't know how it works in America, but those are generally left out in transcriptions in Canada. 
    Literal transcriptions are written like that yes. Also where you're getting the idea that I'm American from I'll never know, I'm English. As for mocking someone, I'm sorry but when someone jumps in and starts off straight away by trying to derail a thread with accusations (as they often do) then yes they deserve it.

Lol, sorry, I just saw the ignorance and immediately assumed American. My bad. 

Interesting, I've actually never seen a literal transcription before I guess, because this is what I would consider to be in the minority of interview transcriptions. Probably because it's very distracting and fragmented and really annoying to read. 

You never answered my question, though. So if this was a transcript written for someone with a known speech impediment, would you think this was ok? Or do you think it would be in poor taste? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

The point of the transcript is to show the bullshit answers CIG devs give.
    He doesn't just do Erin transcripts... he's done interviews from numerous CIG devs.
    He doesn't target people with speech impediments... lol

Does the barrel of CIG excuses never end? :P
    MaxBacon

..Cake..

MaxBacon said:
    But that impacts your coherency and phrasing, when I got through that when I was younger I would often "lose it" and I would just babble forward if I didn't stop or start over. We would have to run under the assumption of what impact it has, but he absolutely lost it when trying to reply some questions there (that resembled me when I went through stammering and It does resemble like I was making stuff up yet I was just unable to deliver in a coherent manner.

I see lots of the CIG guys doing this, huge amounts of erm, uhm, ahh, you know, you know, you know etc, lots of broken, meandering sentences, lots of filler etc it's almost like a culture amongst certain people within CIG, like none of them are clear about their answers. I've seen lots of diehard supporters on the subreddit poking fun at the "you knows" from a variety of the CIG guys, Tony Z being a prime example, but I have never seen any of them accused of mocking people with a speech impediments.

TheScavengerMaxBacon
    sgel said:

He doesn't just do Erin transcripts... he's done interviews from numerous CIG devs.

So what is his sampling from interviews of those outside of CIG? I mean if we're interested in the science, then let's make it science. I'm sure there's even some sort of metric that could be applied. I know the goons have plenty of time on their hands, so if they want to be taken seriously, then create a comparison against 20 different software developers, that gives you a good sampling. Shit, even 10 would be good. I know I use these words quite a bit myself. I'd be interested to see what other transcripts from the same site would be like. 

Can we at least agree on that? If you want to prove something, then make it scientific. Otherwise, what barrel? This seems like a simple enough thing to prove to me. 
    rpmcmurphyGdemamiEponyxDamor

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Must be an American. I can't think of anywhere else where you disagree with someone who's agreeing with you. 

It's quite clear that the transcription was intentionally a parody. I mean these don't generally show up in transcripts or are represented by proper false starts and pauses. 

I'm not sure why you're being so combative when I agreed with you and @rpmcmurphy

Go watch some other interviews and you tell me that he doesn't have plenty of pauses and false starts. Honestly, he's not a smooth talker. If you're trying to sell that then you either haven't seen any other interviews or you're being willfully ignorant. 
    You said "1) YES! The post that @rpmcmurphy is directly and overtly making fun of some sort of speech impediment that can be seen in many of Erin's interviews."

It's not making fun of a speech impediment because he doesn't have one, just because someone isn't a smooth talker doesn't automatically make it a speech impediment.

Well that's not how transcripts are written, is it? I have never seen those written into an interview to that extent. So, yes, it overtly emphasizes his pauses and false starts. If he DID have a confirmed speech impediment, would you say they were making fun of him? 

Oh! And if you read past that part, you'd see that I did agree with you that he didn't answer the question.
    What it emphasizes to me is not the pauses and starts, it's all the dodgy side stepping that has become so prevalent with this entire project, so often touted as the most open ever, yet when things get asked they get swept under the rug.

Yup, that is an interpretation of it. However, why are you mocking someone with an alternate perspective when he's actually done his homework and given additional citation. 

Actually, a good interviewer should have clarified his question, since he obviously didn't get the answer to his question. It's called a follow-up. Either that or the interviewer ambushed him during a scripted interview, since people with scheduled interviews are generally given questions prior to in order to properly prepare for them. So is that what happened? I don't know. I can only speculate. Maybe you're right. Maybe you're not. The point is that there are multiple reasonable explanations.

However, you didn't answer whether or not the transcription was typical of what you see in things like news articles of interviews, etc? I don't know how it works in America, but those are generally left out in transcriptions in Canada. 
    Literal transcriptions are written like that yes. Also where you're getting the idea that I'm American from I'll never know, I'm English. As for mocking someone, I'm sorry but when someone jumps in and starts off straight away by trying to derail a thread with accusations (as they often do) then yes they deserve it.

Interesting, I've actually never seen a literal transcription before I guess, because this is what I would consider to be in the minority of interview transcriptions. Probably because it's very distracting and fragmented and really annoying to read. 

You never answered my question, though. So if this was a transcript written for someone with a known speech impediment, would you think this was ok? Or do you think it would be in poor taste? 
    Yes why not, this transcription is simply there to point out that he completely dodges the question being asked, there's nothing in it that is offensive. It's funny, you see a lot of English footballers when interviewed on television say, "you know" and "em" quite frequently and in all my years I've never heard it referred to as a speech impediment.

rpmcmurphyMaxBacon
    edited March 2018
    I see lots of the CIG guys doing this, huge amounts of erm, uhm, ahh, you know, you know, you know etc, lots of broken, meandering sentences, lots of filler etc it's almost like a culture amongst certain people within CIG, like none of them are clear about their answers. I've seen lots of diehard supporters on the subreddit poking fun at the "you knows" from a variety of the CIG guys, Tony Z being a prime example, but I have never seen any of them accused of mocking people with a speech impediments.

Happens when you are being asked questions about future work you have to do where the design isn't set in stone yet...

Ask them questions about things they are actively working on where the design is more solid, you'll see far less pauses on the answers.

But of course the logical conclusion is that the developers of this game do not know anything and make answers up on the spot, typical.... 
    GdemamiTheScavenger
    Psychos1s said:
    Yes why not, this transcription is simply there to point out that he completely dodges the question being asked, there's nothing in it that is offensive. It's funny, you see a lot of English footballers when interviewed on television say, "you know" and "em" quite frequently and in all my years I've never heard it referred to as a speech impediment.

If there's one thing we can draw from this discussion it's that people will go to amazing lengths to be offended and claim discrimination.

Anyway, some more gobbledegook
    Q: Will this be more Squadron 42 based? Are you planning to provide any extra content updates after Squadron 42 Episode One is released or just patches and bugfixes?

Erin Roberts: Yeah I mean at the MOMENT it's... I mean the PLAN is... is... it's SQUADRON, and we HOPE we won't be patching it, a-haha! I mean really, SQUADRON for us is gonna be, eh... we REALLY wanna make sure... and that's not a big thing that's why I'm kind of... very... quiet about it and don't show it too much... until we you know... until we want you know to do different stuff and things but...

THAT'S the thing we wanna release, and when we release it we don't want to have, you know... I don't... well... WE WON'T RELEASE IT if... if we...

And the GREAT thing about the way we do this is, you know... we... we... when... and especially because we're LIVE and you know we can just... you know, you DOWNLOAD it... is we don't have you know... we don't have some problem where somebody says, 'Well you have to get to MANUFACTURING by this date, oh well we'll just finish this off and we'll patch it later'

So, you know, we want that FIRST experience when it comes out, we feel it's a good experience the first time it goes out and people will really BLOW THEIR MIND
    But Squadron because obviously A, we think it's a massive great story and a brilliant game, and we wanna make sure we don't RUIN it, so...

So Squadron WILL come out when it's ready, so hopefully, on the PATCH side, you know, I... I mean you can't say... MAYBE there'll be one or two EDGE CASE PCs and we'll find some problem and fix it, there's a little patch for THAT... but hopefully... hopefully it should really work well.

Straight after that, the plan will be to go straight on to the second episode.

TheScavengerMaxBacon
    edited March 2018
    Psychos1s said:

If there's one thing we can draw from this discussion it's that people will go to amazing lengths to be offended and claim discrimination.
    I claim Goon Anti-SC propaganda. If we were to use the same standards of this forum, I would call you an SA paid shill. fun how it goes both ways hehe :D 
    rpmcmurphyTheScavengerEponyxDamor
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Psychos1s said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Ok, so do you think that the English footballers are being evasive? Or are they just not great speakers? 

Also, you say on television, do you get this in print? I have honestly never seen this in print in Canada that I can speak of. 

So let me ask, 
    1) Are you saying that this type of transcription is the "norm"?
    2) Are you saying that his speech is clearly evasive even though you acknowledge that ".. a lot of English footballers when interviewed on television say, "you know" and "em" quite frequently.."

Let me put this back on rails here, I am directly saying. 
    1) No he didn't answer the question, that I could say other than to say some features are coming, which I'm not sure is even an answer.
    2) The format of the transcription isn't really all that helpful, it's abnormal from what you'd normally see in print, and it actually just makes it difficult to read. I don't see it as proving anything. What? It's proving that a project which has been chronically late is going to be late again. Fuck, call CNN ;P

Can you agree with that? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited March 2018
    CrazKanuk said:
    1) Are you saying that this type of transcription is the "norm"?
    2) Are you saying that his speech is clearly evasive even though you acknowledge that ".. a lot of English footballers when interviewed on television say, "you know" and "em" quite frequently.."

Let me put this back on rails here, I am directly saying. 
    1) No he didn't answer the question, that I could say other than to say some features are coming, which I'm not sure is even an answer.
    2) The format of the transcription isn't really all that helpful, it's abnormal from what you'd normally see in print, and it actually just makes it difficult to read. I don't see it as proving anything. What? It's proving that a project which has been chronically late is going to be late again. Fuck, call CNN ;P

Can you agree with that? 
    1) Yes, if the objective with it is attempting to shame the person they are doing it with, what goons do not think twice because anything goes when it comes to get ammunition against SC by implying the pauses/false starts/etc mean point 2).

2) Refer to 1, it is not meant to be informative, only to somehow prove that the devs do not know what they are talking about, or doing, and are making stuff on the spot while answering questions.

They truly are the CNN of SC.

TheScavenger
    edited March 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    I claim Goon Anti-SC propaganda. If we were to use the same standards of this forum, I would call you an SA paid shill. fun how it goes both ways hehe :D 

Well seeing I don't even have a membership for SA I would be a rather poorly paid shill.... :)

One more for the lulz, (this subject is something I am very interested in because of their claims over the years).

Q: Can you tell me more about the current target for players on the server by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
    We are gonna be... ehm... we are gonna be... first off we wanna see how much one server can handle, so obviously we went from 24 to 50 now, we've improved the ability in... as we said now... as we optimise and cache our locations a little bit better, ah... ehrm... you know... for that... for that sort of STUFF... and also a lot of, uhm, WORK going on in the codebase to optimise that to make sure the, you know, there's...

Uhm... the... the... something like OBJECT CONTAINER STREAMING is great for CLIENT, for a SERVER... the SERVER has to know about EVERYTHING anyway. Now it doesn't need to... it doesn't... physically need to have, you know... it needs... it... it... there's some information it DOESN'T need, so it needs to know... but it needs to know EVERYTHING... where EVERYBODY is, it needs to know, you know, uhm... you know, you know... you know... some of the PHYSICS SITUATIONS for that but it doesn't need, it doesn't need to DRAW anything but it needs to understand that kind of stuff, the problem is you're doing the whole server for a LOT of people, it's doing a lot of CALCULATIONS and so forth

Well actually not a lot of calculations and actually when the servers aren't hitting these EDGE CASES they're actually pretty good shape, so we're seeing that we know that actually they can HANDLE IT, but there are some bugs... that's what I'm saying, in the next FEW WEEKS we really wanna... if we can, you know, if we can knock ONE OR TWO out of the park and fix those that'll be better for everybody, ehmmm... but.... ehr... ehrm... you know in ter... in... sorry, uh, the QUESTION, going back to the...

Q:
    What's your TARGET for number of players in a server by the end of the year? Blue skies thinking, I'm not going to hold you to it.

Erin Roberts:
    We would LIKE to, I mean, you know, we're pushing hard, we want to get to about a HUNDRED people, ahm, you know if we can do that... uhrm... and then, um... and then of course when the SERVER MESHING comes online then they'll be DYNAMIC in terms of... of, you know, depend... it... it'll be... LOCATION SPECIFIC because you could have a server that is basically managing a ROOM, and if it's just basically an ARENA or just people wandering around in an FPS you could probably, the server could probably manage a lot more than 100.

But if the server's managing an area of space, when you've got SHIPS which are basically... got lots of moving parts, lots of stuff going on, maybe you have, maybe you can't handle so many.

So this is where we use the server POWER to say, 'uh, this is what this server will handle', and the server will handle anything from a SYSTEM down to a ROOM and... and so, you know... if we if all of a sudden, you know, your whole GUILD decides to trundle in, into... in to... to meet up in one PLACE then we can just say, 'OK, we better make one SERVER just handle that SITUATION', and then when you walk out of that place and it transfers to another server because that's the rate that... you know the... the WALKWAY outside, so...

That's the way it's going to work.

So I think we're going to have... when we say that we're trying to get the server meshing going, we'll have RUDIMENTS of it HOPEFULLY working by the end of the year, but the FULL thing working PROPERLY will not be until... until NEXT YEAR.

Q:
    Is there a POTENTIAL that you will have thousands of players in a SHARD by the end of the year?

Erin Roberts:
    Ummm... I...

I'm not... sure...

We'll see...

That's the way it's going to work.

sgelTheScavenger
    edited March 2018
    Well seeing I don't even have a membership for SA I would be a rather poorly paid shill.... :)

One more for the lulz, (this subject is something I am very interested in because of their claims over the years).
    Weeell if we put Frontier SC thread on the mix and SA, it's not that different really it's like you're there. 

You can post them all day long, it does not make them any less trolling, Earth is Flat movements are more proof the Earth is flat than does this prove what is being implied they are supposed to show. #Propaganda
    TheScavenger
    edited March 2018
    CrazKanuk said:
    sgel said:

So what is his sampling from interviews of those outside of CIG? I mean if we're interested in the science, then let's make it science. I'm sure there's even some sort of metric that could be applied. I know the goons have plenty of time on their hands, so if they want to be taken seriously, then create a comparison against 20 different software developers, that gives you a good sampling. Shit, even 10 would be good. I know I use these words quite a bit myself. I'd be interested to see what other transcripts from the same site would be like. 

Can we at least agree on that? If you want to prove something, then make it scientific. Otherwise, what barrel? This seems like a simple enough thing to prove to me. 
    I can pretty much guarantee you that no Goon gives a damn if you take him/them seriously.
    The post was made on SA in a thread about SC... so obviously the transcript was from a CIG dev interview.

Again, it was made to show what constant bullshit answers CIG devs give.
    There was no artificial ridicule element added to the mix... the comedic factor comes from the actual answers seen in written form.

I remember the ones he used do from Ben Lesnick (when he was still relevant) were exceptionally funny... poor Ben really was terrible with his answers.
    MaxBacon

..Cake..

edited March 2018
    sgel said:
    There was no artificial ridicule element added to the mix... the comedic factor comes from the actual answers seen in written form.
    Only that they don't show, they show a normal answer with the pauses and everything else that no public article interview that is transcripted shows, yet is always there.

It does not show anything, it does not prove anything, goons are goons, and haters are desperate hence why they use the material goons create and put on a straight face. What else is new?
    TheScavenger
    MaxBacon said:

Weeell if we put Frontier SC thread on the mix and SA, it's not that different really it's like you're there. 

You can post them all day long, it does not make them any less trolling, Earth is Flat movements are more proof the Earth is flat than does this prove what is being implied they are supposed to show. #Propaganda
    I wondered when this would start.

You're free to ignore my posts or even ignore the thread if it upsets you so much. Trying to bait me is not going to work.
    TheScavengerMaxBacon
    edited March 2018
    Resuming the goon transcripts:

> Everything you say can and will be used against you, including your facial expressions!*

*That includes what you don't say, we'll find a way to make it so.

Hold a gun on their heads every time they are asked one question, that will fix it up! ;)
    TheScavengerEponyxDamor
    edited March 2018
    MaxBacon said:

It does not show anything
    Couldn't have put it better myself. It really does not show anything, people come away from these interview more confused than when they went in.
    TheScavengerKefoMaxBaconEponyxDamor
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    Only that they don't show, they show a normal answer with the pauses and everything else that no public article interview that is transcripted shows, yet is always there.

It does not show anything, it does not prove anything, goons are goons, and haters are desperate hence why they use the material goons create and put on a straight face. What else is new?
    Yeah it does. It shows which of Erin's answers are utterly bullshit.
    Why are you so salty about Goons showing you a CIG dev's answers word for word.
    lol....
    MaxBacon

..Cake..

Couldn't have put it better myself. It really does not show anything, people come away from these interview more confused than when they went in.
    I understood it, maybe you do not have such capability but I could retain the highlights and points of that interview.
    TheScavenger
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2018
    A word-for-word transcript would show to any reasonable unbiased person without an agenda that the answers are complete bull even without the all-caps emphasized words and stammers.
    MaxBacon
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    MaxBacon said:
    I don't tend to laugh at someone else's speech problem, I've been there.
    Babbling isn't "speech problem"....
    sgelTheScavengerMaxBaconEponyxDamor
    edited March 2018
    Gdemami said:
    MaxBacon said:
    I don't tend to laugh at someone else's speech problem, I've been there.
    Babbling isn't "speech problem"....
    Stammering/Stuttering is.
    TheScavengerEponyxDamor