Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameforge Reviewing Subscription VIP Energy Bonuses Amid P2P Allegations - SoulWorker - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageGameforge Reviewing Subscription VIP Energy Bonuses Amid P2P Allegations - SoulWorker - MMORPG.com

SoulWorker News - SoulWorker Online is currently in "open beta", though the game's cash shop is online and selling both Silver and Gold VIP memberships. While mostly packed with typical VIP type goods (respawner, bonus keycards, etc.), they also feature extra energy, the resource needed to complete in-game activities. Silver adds 80 energy to the base 200, while Gold adds 120. If that's not enough, players can combine Silver and Gold packages and get a whopping 200 extra energy per day, double the baseline.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    WHY HAVE 1 SUBSCRIPTION WHEN YOU CAN HAVE 2!?!? GG Gameforge
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Just more examples of what P2P without a cash shop is better. If a game is worth the subscription it does not need stupid scheme to come up with ways to make money.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited March 2018

danwest58 said:

without a cash shop is better.

Without cash shop and lockboxes - say goodbye to nice cosmetics. Sub-based games mostly have minimum amount of garbage available. I'm yet to see cometics in sub-based games comparable to $30 BDO costumes or TennoGen Steam skins in Warframe.
    Post edited by 3dom on
    pantaroKyleran

Thank you for your time!

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    3dom said:

danwest58 said:

Without cash shop and lockboxes - say goodbye to nice cosmetics. Sub-based games mostly has minimum amount of garbage available. I'm yet to see cometics in sub-based games comparable to $30 BDO costumes or TennoGen Steam skins in Warframe.
    If it means getting rid of flamboyant and/or out of place costumes, I don't see an issue.

More a fan of the realistic looking, engraved/embroidered armor types.
    KylerankinkyJalepeno

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

3dom said:

danwest58 said:

Without cash shop and lockboxes - say goodbye to nice cosmetics. Sub-based games mostly has minimum amount of garbage available. I'm yet to see cometics in sub-based games comparable to $30 BDO costumes or TennoGen Steam skins in Warframe.

If it means getting rid of flamboyant and/or out of place costumes, I don't see an issue.

For that you really don't need anything but subscription fee. Me - skipping every single sub game since I couldn't find desired mage staff in Rift or whole armor set during 7 months ($105). To me sub based games are more like a fraud where one cannot expend anything really interesting (item-wise) unless literally worked in game for a year and ~$200 fee.

Thank you for your time!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I get that most responses are towards subs as a whole, but I still can't get over that they are trying to sell you 2 subs. I'm not recalling a game doing that. What funnier is that they are "planning to keep it" until further review since both can be purchased via in game means, meaning they'll keep it until enough people complain/stop playing.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324

Torval said:

Maybe the EU should be looking at predatory marketing and monetization in their own backyard before throwing stones at American and Asian studios and publishers. They're always so quick to point the finger.

There is a reason why many in the EU avoid Gameforge and will put up with higher ping playing NA servers.

Also likely why EU game versions never really get news done on them... last TERA piece directed at EU version on this site looks like it was 11 months ago. Im almost certain that if this game had gotten a NA publisher, then this Gameforge version would never have made the news.

To answer Suzie's question at the top... isnt this typical with all these energy based systems? there is always a way to buy more than the F2P players get in games that use this type of system. It comes down to whether you think you can get enough enjoyment out of the limited energy pool or not in all of them.
    IceAge[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Awesome, they found yet another "innovation " in monetization and pay for advantage.

First time I've ever seen a company make subbing a PFA feature...

Double subs, double energy....just terrific.

Sounds like an even worse version of ArcheAges system

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    MrSyn said:

Torval said:

Maybe the EU should be looking at predatory marketing and monetization in their own backyard before throwing stones at American and Asian studios and publishers. They're always so quick to point the finger.

There is a reason why many in the EU avoid Gameforge and will put up with higher ping playing NA servers.

Also likely why EU game versions never really get news done on them... last TERA piece directed at EU version on this site looks like it was 11 months ago. Im almost certain that if this game had gotten a NA publisher, then this Gameforge version would never have made the news.

To answer Suzie's question at the top... isnt this typical with all these energy based systems? there is always a way to buy more than the F2P players get in games that use this type of system. It comes down to whether you think you can get enough enjoyment out of the limited energy pool or not in all of them.
    It's a cornerstone of "energy" games.  And yes, it's also part and parcel of F2P monetization to give those whales more.

F2P is merely a matter of deciding who you're fucking the hardest: competitors, aesthetic lovers, free players, or collectors.  Free players are usually screwed the hardest, but also have the least right to bitch
    [Deleted User]

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324

Kyleran said:

Awesome, they found yet another "innovation " in monetization and pay for advantage.

Likely a result of them looking at what mobile games are making and getting away with and seeing if they can do the same here. Just take Lineage 2 Revolution as an example... you can lose count of how many ways their is to buy gold in that mobile game and then you have all the other currencies too.
    Kyleran
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I was looking forward to this game for a while, but i am not dealing with energy systems or VIP nonsense.

Uninstalled.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Torval said:

I will always throw stones to both EU and NA ( I have no use of Asian studios as of now ) companies which are doing what gameforge is doing. Your comment is .. pathetic, as a lot of EU players are sharing the same point as you and me, against P2W companies.

Anyway , gameforge is just about P2W. The main playerbase which they have are whales and kids. The perfect combination for such "schema".

..and that's why they will always be (very) below mediocre level of a decent company.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2018
    This is another reason why a lot of game companies are moving to mobile.  For whatever reason, mobile games get away with all sorts of P2W garbage that PC games will get hanged over like this.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Only 200 extra energy? For not 1, but 2 subscriptions? I remember when subscribing to an MMO meant unlimited play time; oh, wait, it still does... :goes back to a real MMO:
  • idontlikemynameidontlikemyname Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Sure you can buy it from the action house just for 59.000.000 GOLD
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Lol @ all the whining about an optional subscription.

Their cash shop prices are inflated, that I will not argue but this? *shrug*
    sarah116
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Games with any kind of energy system limiting playtime can GTFO!
    AeanderKyleran
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    3dom said:

danwest58 said:

Why not both? I just hate it when cosmetics are complete immersion breakers (ie: modern/casual clothes, beach wear, holiday outfits, beanie caps, etc).
    Kyleran
    Aeander said:
    3dom said:

danwest58 said:

Why not both? I just hate it when cosmetics are complete immersion breakers (ie: modern/casual clothes, beach wear, holiday outfits, beanie caps, etc).
    Rabbit or mouse ears/tails....the worst...

:# 
    Aeander

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

It's not optional if your playtime doing the activities you wish is limited unless you sub or now, double sub to get enough energy to accomplish your goals. 

I have no issue subbing if it provides unlimited energy vs freeloaders accounts ,  but otherwise just no. 

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Kyleran said:

It's not optional if your playtime doing the activities you wish is limited unless you sub or now, double sub to get enough energy to accomplish your goals. 

I have no issue subbing if it provides unlimited energy vs freeloaders accounts ,  but otherwise just no. 

Unless you are a complete no-life there's plenty of energy.  You even stack it on days you don't use it until the weekly reset.  

Most of you are talking out of your asses.
    KyleranrojoArcueid
    Kyleran said:

Unless you are a complete no-life there's plenty of energy.  You even stack it on days you don't use it until the weekly reset.  

Most of you are talking out of your asses.
    Which if true means players are being advised by the devs to consider stacking subs and are actively looking into the complaints for no reason. 

Are you sure you know what you are talking about?