Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Otherland - Revisiting Drago's Vision of Tad Williams' World - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageOtherland - Revisiting Drago's Vision of Tad Williams' World - MMORPG.com

Over the past few days, I've been playing Drago Entertainment's Otherland, an MMO that came out in 2015 and that is based on the wildly popular fantasy novels by Tad Williams. Over the course of the last nine months or so, Drago has taken over creative control of the game that seemed to have lost its vision early on. While things aren't perfect...yet...developers are committed to bringing Otherland back from the edge.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    I tried really hard to get into this series a few times. I just could not do it. For whatever reason. Wish them well though.
    SBFord

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    edited March 2018
    Downloading now, lemme see if it's worth to play or not :) Edit: Wow... One of the worst MMORPG's i've played. So empty, so meaningless, so... stupid.
    Post edited by Nevereverland on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited March 2018
    The books we not up to much.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Downloading now, lemme see if it's worth to play or not :)
    I can tell you that it's rough at the start but if you can persist through the frustrating menus and the things that ARE still present, it's a decentish effort with a dedicated team working to spruce it up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Tempted to download it and try it out, but I'm so tired of downloading games only to uninstall them few minutes later.
    SBFordSignex
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gets to the load screen then nothing,went and made some food ,visit puppy dog,10 minutes later ,still nothing,can't get out of the frozen screen,so i cntrl-alt-del and end process.

So called dedicated team that was suppose to release this in 2016,still has got nowhere.I checked website,last news was a week ago,so the servers are not down.I got to the lone server and it tried to get me in game but starts of with a que ue that was not needed as pop was low.
    So no idea how anyone else is playing this since i can't even get in the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Tempted to download it and try it out, but I'm so tired of downloading games only to uninstall them few minutes later.

Before you press that download button stop and think, have you really looked into the game? Check on here, you tube, meteoritic. With 10 mins checking you have saved yourself that download and the disappointment. :)
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited March 2018
    I was really excited about it, imagining how awesome it could be to actually explore the worlds from the novel first-hand. Then I started playing. It was initially very enthralling and had a cool introduction to go through. Once I got out of the beginner/tutorial areas and started on the game proper, I quickly realized how incredibly linear, gated and derivative it all is. It's basically every standard themepark MMO you've ever played, set in a really cool environment.

Seriously, kudos to the artists and animators. They've done a wonderful job recreating the worlds from the books... Sadly, the gameplay quickly reduces that all to "oh... this again" type unimaginative quest-grinding drudgery. All style, no substance.
    DavodtheTutt
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Are they gonna stick with it this time or abandon it again.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I would of preferred Memory, Sorrow And Thorn or the Shadowmarch series.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Downloading now, lemme see if it's worth to play or not :) Edit: Wow... One of the worst MMORPG's i've played. So empty, so meaningless, so... stupid.
    It strikes me as a small development team taking on a task far beyond their scope and resources.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192

Downloading now, lemme see if it's worth to play or not :)

Edit: Wow... One of the worst MMORPG's i've played. So empty, so meaningless, so... stupid.

Thank you for saving me the time to install this and update it, to most likely do what you just did lol.

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Let me guess...it's another waste of time F2P game.
  • XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I played for a few hours last night and I have to say, it's pretty rough still. I think they really need to put more polish into the game instead of just adding more areas. Essentially they're just adding more content that's still buggy. Also, in my whole time online, I have yet to see another player and I was on the US server. /shrug
  • BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I didn't even realise this had released! I remember it being announced and really looking forward to it and then it seemed to just go quiet.
    saker