Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do we get continental lag? Will it ever be solved?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
I understand many factors contribute to lag but I am only wanting to talk about the mysterious continental lag.  If I call someone on the phone while they are in France and I am in the United States I do not expect to get lag.  What causes international mmorpg lag?  Will there ever come a day when I in the USA can play with people in Britain, Australia, Philippines, and Japan without it making my character stagger like an insane drunk?

What's the hold up with this tech?

Comments

• MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited March 2018
    Simple answer probably not. It can be done... but it will be expensive and no-one really wants to pony up for it. The issue with lag in general is it takes time to get the packets to where ever you want them to get to. We have the same constraints in Continental packet travel as we do in intercontinental, the constraints are distance and bandwidth. When over land we can just build more fiber and increase bandwidth. For distance we can then invest in technologies like fiber, which at this point is the fast mode we have to transmit but still slower then the speed of light (but pretty close to it). With that who is going to start paying for new under sea cables (installation and maintenance) so that you can have a better experience in MMO game playing? Simply put as above no one will pay for it. The current cables are in place by corporations to lease out to other entities that need to communicate across continents (Telephone Companies to begin with, then morphed over time). Now this is not to say no one is willing to put cables under the sea, but not just going to do it to make gaming better.

TL;DR

No, probably not in your life time.
    craftseeker
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    There is a fairly big difference between talking on a line and receiving data over said line. When talking you don't pay much attention if there is a second or so pause from when you stop talking and the other person starts responding. Cause its just still feels natural when talking. But when gaming 300ms you can start to notice that delay. Actions are just not as fast responding and such.

You can see the delay when watching a lot of the news and they do remote video with another anchor out in the field. That weird delay from when the people in office are talking to when the remote anchor starts to talk.

Some day the solution will be solved but its going to require a lot of work from a lot of different people.

So much that goes into data travel over the internet. The greater the distance generally you have more machines your data goes through before it reaches its final destination. You also have situations when a hop might have more load or even be overloaded with data. So many what ifs and such to solve.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The laws of physics do not care about your desire for better ping times.

Light travels at exactly 299792458 m/s in a vacuum.  That number can be known exactly because it's the definition of a meter.  But it does mean that for light to go around the world would take about 140 ms.

Light travels slower than that in a fiber optic cable, however.  It's bouncing around a lot within the cable rather than going straight, resulting in a net speed of about 2/3 of that.  So you're looking at over 200 ms for light to go around the world in a fiber optic cable.

And that's assuming that you've got a dedicated cable for the entire route that follows a geodesic along the earth's surface.  Real networks have various nodes along the way, which adds a bit of latency each time, as well as giving you a zig-zaggy path to some degree rather than going straight.

Add that all up and for communications with an antipodal point, a round-trip ping time of 300 ms would be pretty good.  Now, you're not actually going to the opposite side of the earth, but to go between two random points on earth would on average be 1/4 of the way around each way, in which a ping time of 150 ms would be quite good.

So why doesn't that seem horribly laggy for phone calls?  Because if you hear the other person talking 300 ms later than he hears himself talking relative to you, that doesn't feel that laggy.  For some games, a 300 ms ping time is terrible, however.

If you're seeing 500 ms ping times and hoping to get that down to 200 ms, that could happen so long as you're not going to nearly the opposite side of the world, such as from Australia to the US.  If you're hoping for 50 ms ping times to anywhere in the world, it would take a massive revolution in physics to make faster than light data transfer possible.
    kabitoshincraftseekerCryomatrixBeezerbeezLimnic
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Your phone feels fine because it's practically a honey badger.   You're already trained to deal with the signal loss, audio having interference is still understandable, and humans have had practically forever to practice getting a sound out of some kind of machine. 

Software on the other hand is pretty fragile.  It can't adapt to corruption very well, and at the same time requires incredible precision.   Not a good combination. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Why spend money to fix lag in MMOs when you can instead spend the time making cash shop items?
    AmatheMaxBacon

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Xodic said:
    Quantum entanglement, 0 ping. We may see it in the next 50 years.

You can't transport any information with quantum entanglement. And if you think about quantum teleportation, that one is still bound to the speed of light to transport information. So far the speed of ligth still seems to be the limit.
    Why spend money to fix lag in MMOs when you can instead spend the time making cash shop items?
    Differences in lag between a customer on the other side of town from the servers and one on the other side of the world are dictated by the Internet at large.  That's not something that MMO companies can fix, at least apart from having separate servers in different physical locations that don't allow various customers to interact with each other.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    This is why i have avoid playing Korea action game
    iixviiiix said:
    This is why i have avoid playing Korea action game
    If you mean playing on Korean servers and you don't live anywhere remotely near Korea, then yes.  But it's not a valid reason to avoid playing a Korean-made game running on servers much closer to where you live.  (Disliking the game, on the other hand, is a very valid reason not to play it.)
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Quizzical said:
    The laws of physics do not care about your desire for better ping times.

Light travels at exactly 299792458 m/s in a vacuum.  That number can be known exactly because it's the definition of a meter.  But it does mean that for light to go around the world would take about 140 ms.

Light travels slower than that in a fiber optic cable, however.  It's bouncing around a lot within the cable rather than going straight, resulting in a net speed of about 2/3 of that.  So you're looking at over 200 ms for light to go around the world in a fiber optic cable.

And that's assuming that you've got a dedicated cable for the entire route that follows a geodesic along the earth's surface.  Real networks have various nodes along the way, which adds a bit of latency each time, as well as giving you a zig-zaggy path to some degree rather than going straight.

Add that all up and for communications with an antipodal point, a round-trip ping time of 300 ms would be pretty good.  Now, you're not actually going to the opposite side of the earth, but to go between two random points on earth would on average be 1/4 of the way around each way, in which a ping time of 150 ms would be quite good.

So why doesn't that seem horribly laggy for phone calls?  Because if you hear the other person talking 300 ms later than he hears himself talking relative to you, that doesn't feel that laggy.  For some games, a 300 ms ping time is terrible, however.

If you're seeing 500 ms ping times and hoping to get that down to 200 ms, that could happen so long as you're not going to nearly the opposite side of the world, such as from Australia to the US.  If you're hoping for 50 ms ping times to anywhere in the world, it would take a massive revolution in physics to make faster than light data transfer possible.

What if one day we get a quantum entanglement network?

j/k
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Tsk, don't any of you know anything? Clearly communicating by "ansible" is the way to go.

"The Philotic Parallax Instantaneous Communicator, more commonly known as the Ansible, was a device used for instantaneous communication across any distance.[1]"q

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Kyleran said:
    Tsk, don't any of you know anything? Clearly communicating by "ansible" is the way to go.

"The Philotic Parallax Instantaneous Communicator, more commonly known as the Ansible, was a device used for instantaneous communication across any distance.[1]"q
    Funny, I was about to mention that B)

Perhaps we can even make friends with Jane... ;)
    Sounds good,  just so we don't run into Skynet.

;)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Don't worry Jemcrystal, we won't let the speed of light stop us! When the Quantum Mechanics boffins start mass producing their quantum entanglement particles we will be able to communicate instantly across any distance in the universe.

The fact QM has never produced anything that anyone can use on a technological level is a bit of a sticking point. But keep spending those billions on colliders and they are bound to one day. :)
    Sovrath
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:
    Sounds good,  just so we don't run into Skynet.

We won't. But now Genisys is Skynet .....
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Scot said:
    Don't worry Jemcrystal, we won't let the speed of light stop us! When the Quantum Mechanics boffins start mass producing their quantum entanglement particles we will be able to communicate instantly across any distance in the universe.

The fact QM has never produced anything that anyone can use on a technological level is a bit of a sticking point. But keep spending those billions on colliders and they are bound to one day. :)
    Even if QM did manage to produce functional faster than light communication, I would not want to know how much Comcast would charge me for it.
    KyleranScot
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    they solved it a long time ago, the problem is, it would be less revenue and create infrastructure problems with security.  The reason the internet is how it is, is main security. THis is why proxy tends to be faster, it by passes the checks and balances of security.
    Proxies and better tech can reduce continental lag, but with our current level of tech it can never be solved completely. Light can only travel so fast, and more distance always equals more time for the message to travel.

Some continental lag will exists until we get quantum entanglement communications, tachyon communications, or some other scifi-like invention.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Dauntless is doing a system where people from around the world can play together. I play Monster Hunter World with people in Japan and i'm in the UK and it works great so it looks like it can be done. MMO's could be a bit more demanding because of the amount of data it has to send.

https://playdauntless.com/news/march-stability-and-server-update
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2018
    I played FFXI on international  and many of us often had pings way up around 600 but was still very much playable,in many cases better than games with 40 ping.

GPU lag can be every bit or more important than internet lag.GPU lag requires the developer puts in the work/effort and most instead of doing that will simply create low end graphics then tell everyone they were aiming for a certain ART style,to which i call BS.

Now for an intense fps type game,no you need a very close ping difference if identical skilled players.Now i can beat for example 30 ping players in UT99 ,having myself a 200 ping but i would have to be a much better player,otherwise no chance.

Will it ever happen?Well again using UT99,someone created code that simulated each person playing as if offline,they called it a "zero ping"addon.Personally i find it to be flawed,yes a decent answer but it all depends on the game.Using ut99 as an example,a zero ping ruins the online design where you would expect lag and not expect weapons to be extremely over powered.Point being is that if the developer designs the dps to fall in line with zero pings and that software actually works perfectly then yes we might one day see that perfect world,very soon even.,

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2018
    ikcin said:

Because the speed of the connection is limited by the slowest hardware on the route of the data transfer. It does not matter if you have gigabit connection when the data passes trough old 56k modem somewhere in the world - you will get 56k speed. And in fact the internet in US is terrible as price/quality.

No. Latency is the time it takes to transfer a single packet along the route. It's different from bandwidth.

Also latency is normally not affected by how much bandwidth you're using. If you're using close to your maximum bandwidth or if it's exceptionally busy server or busy time, it can occasionally be affected. But most of the time online games use so little bandwidth that there's no shortage and you could send 10 times the data you're sending and get exactly the same latency.

Also there are no 56K modems in commercial networks.
    Quizzical

• respawned1respawned1 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I have been facing a similar problem while playing the game. Especially on the campus network, where I spend most of my time. I literally tried everything from top to bottom consisting of OS tweaks, Network tweaks, using a different wireless adapter but all effort in vain.

Luckily, I came across a thread on another tech forum (toms) where many fellow gamers who were previously facing the issue shared their experience along with what kind of alternative/ solution they were able to use to counter this problem. From there, for the first time in my life, I understood how meaningful a VPN could be for a gamer like us.

Out of many recommendations, I tried a few and then settled for PureVPN which allows me to play the game without any hassle by simply connecting to any of the available servers close to my location. By using PureVPN I am also able to unlock many other region-locked games and content (DLC) and not to forget enjoy more economical prices of games when it comes to purchasing new games because all major launching platforms are offering different prices in different regions, and this is exactly where using a VPN proves healthy.

The best approach would be to go search on google about PureVPN or any other vpn service and see which one suits you the best, in my case as mentioned already I am able to achieve wonders and enjoy gaming once again both at home and campus without any hassle or issues which usually a NAT type network does.