Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift - Is Prime Really a Vanilla Server? Tastefully, the Answer is No - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageRift - Is Prime Really a Vanilla Server? Tastefully, the Answer is No - MMORPG.com

On Wednesday March 7th, Trion Worlds launched their first Rift Prime progression server. Excitement was extreme as everyone braced for servers to unlock, the sheer amount of players pouring into starter zones like it was 2011 all over again adding even more buzz. I’ve been there daily since and this is the first Prime progression report from Telara.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    tltr; they wanted to make a buck even more so since other companies talked about making Vanilla servers like WoW... They using that hyped to make a few bucks before the game really dies...
    KalebGraysonMikehaAllerleirauhexile01speedylegs8Leguma11SiegeMachinenogardgibxyzercrimeRain_Deathravenand 5 others.

SNIP

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

kanechart said:

They using that hyped to make a few bucks before the game really dies...

Really??? I haven't talked to anyone whose logged into Prime that isn't having fun. I think they are testing other avenues of making a Prime membership more worthwhile!
    AllerleirauhTokkenLeiloni
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2018

kanechart said:

Really??? I haven't talked to anyone whose logged into Prime that isn't having fun. I think they are testing other avenues of making a Prime membership more worthwhile!

My friend, soon you will be doing in rl what your avatar is currently doing after a month or 2.
    CelciusHarikenMikehamarganculosBruceYeeMrMelGibsonSiegeMachinenogardgibxyzercrimeFrodoFraginsand 1 other.
  • Tom272Tom272 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited March 2018
    I have tried rift once it came out i LOVED IT, unfortunately i was stuck creating trial accounts because i couldn't afford the game back then, didn't play since, tried picking it up but felt it was too much of a chore because of too many expansions, game too large to try to get into content wise etc. Well, now i can and im playing it for last few days and its really fun just like it was back then :) Its hella crowded on level 10+ and i love it! :D edit: phrasing
    nogardgibLeiloni
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

kanechart said:

Well, duh. Give it until the first month is over and we will see how quickly it dies. Just like how Rift is dying and this was a desperate way to get money rather then actually make their game better. If they really wanted to be bold, they would have made a "normal" server with NO cash shop at all that requires a sub.
    CoolitHarikendaltaniousnogardgibSeelinnikoiNepheth
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I'm enjoying it. I also think that this is a proof of concept to get XL to let them do it with AA.
    Panther2103Alpiusdjnj2000nogardgibMcGamerRain_DeathravenTokkenViper482ThupliLeiloni

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited March 2018

kanechart said:

If they want to make the membership more worthwhile they should include a proper permanent Prime server as being forced onto live after the server shuts down in a year is not appealing due to the cash shop. This is the main reason I decided to sit on the fence and see what happens.

I'm glad to see Prime is popular at least initially and if it continues there's at least hope for future servers.
    KalebGraysonFrodoFragins
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I didn't really find Rift that amazing when it came out. Just another variation of the 1000s of eq2 and wow clones we already were sick of.
    Harikenspeedylegs8

• JinaeriJinaeri Member CommonPosts: 2
    Prime, while not Vanilla, is imo a worthwhile endeavor for Trion. What will make/break it remains to be seen. I have enjoyed my return to Mathosia.
    TokkenThupli
  • hydronehydrone Member UncommonPosts: 10

Coolit said:

kanechart said:

If they want to make the membership more worthwhile they should include a proper permanent Prime server as being forced onto live after the server shuts down in a year is not appealing due to the cash shop. This is the main reason I decided to sit on the fence and see what happens.

I'm glad to see Prime is popular at least initially and if it continues there's at least hope for future servers.

They said that if things are going well it would stay open. Kind of amazing people are worried about something a year out. It’s entertainment. Geez
    KalebGraysonSinsaiAllerleirauhThupliLeiloni
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Celcius said:

kanechart said:

Well, duh. Give it until the first month is over and we will see how quickly it dies. Just like how Rift is dying and this was a desperate way to get money rather then actually make their game better. If they really wanted to be bold, they would have made a "normal" server with NO cash shop at all that requires a sub.

That's pretty much what I hopped Prime would be when it was announced, a progression server that was permanent, had no cash shop and was subscription only.
    Leiloni
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018

Coolit said:

kanechart said:

That was (and still is) a huge issue for me. If the sunset date is ever confirmed, I'll likely let my sub expire and return to other games.

However, they decided to back off on committing to sunsetting the server, so I jumped in to experience a Rift I missed at release (in terms of a non-F2P model), and I'm enjoying it. The pacing is slow, but that's not been an issue as I've enjoyed the journey so far. Soul trees are deep and flexible; I've already purchased a 2nd role slot for a Warlock/Pyro combo for group DPS.

I don't blame you for waiting, and I've been very vocal that initially billing it as temporary was a bad idea.
    Coolit

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Excluded a large portion of the launch/possible returning player-base when they decided to only have a one pve server. I know several dozen pvper's, myself included, that would have loved a second server with open world pvp and conquest to go along with this. Even if it comes at a later time, it's likely some of the prime "hype" will have died down and there will also be better pvp titles available. This was a great time for something like this because of the lack of mmo's or pvp titles releasing/in playable beta's atm.
    KalebGraysonDragnelusBruceYee
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    It is a great experience... I love Prime. I coming from EQ TLP servers... so I knew what to expect in a TLP enviroment.

These servers are successful for one reason... Population.... if the population isnt there it will die.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Trion is business and making money is #1. It will be interesting to see how its going in a few months. Mmo's seem to be in a strange place now. Non of my gamer friends play them anymore. We used to play more than one at a time back in 2000. Once the genre went mainstream the games have pretty much turned into crap. Quality has taken a back seat to milking money out of players now. So now they are adding special servers that you pay monthly for without cash shops and everyone jumps on it. What does that say about you though. That you need servers like this because you have no self control about spending money in the cash shop. I feel bad for you then.
    pantaroBodeanG
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

kanechart said:

Of course it is ,players actually know what FUN is right,pfftt,that is why they needed to do this,players were not playing anymore and it was NOT fun.

Far i know SOE was the first to do this and it worked as it has everytime i have witnessed it,for about 2 months,then ghost town again.It was so busy when DBG did it,they actually had tons of GMs onboard fielding questions,helping players,acting all nice and cosy,within one month,they all disappeared.
    Point being everyone says it's fun,same game but they just see a lot of players running around so that is their supposed definition of FUN.

Personally,having done the chasing of ? and ! a million ++ times  over the years,i find that anything but fun.
    Hariken

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I hope you all are having fun.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2018
    Its kind of unfortunate that some people dont see the long game to this (of course to some that doesn't matter), but to be short to the point, remember AA fresh starts were fun too. What happened to them? Why wont that happen here? Easy answer is it will.
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    This game is still alive ? LUL

l2p

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I can make 10 slots bag, if you send mats I can make it for you!

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonseshsesTokkenFrodoFraginsLeiloni

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2018
    hydrone said:

Coolit said:

kanechart said:

They said that if things are going well it would stay open. Kind of amazing people are worried about something a year out. It’s entertainment. Geez
    I know, shut up and enjoy! With any game, you enjoy it while it's still around. Even if Rift Prime is still around after a year, nothing lasts forever. This can apply to ANY game.

There is a man that invested money in CoE; he is sick and elderly, he said that he may not even be around when CoE is completed, and at the rate, it's going, he probably won't be (though I hope he is). 

I'm glad so many are enjoying Rift Prime; Rift is one of my favorite games. I'm glad that many are enjoying it once again.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    edited March 2018
    hydrone said:

Coolit said:

kanechart said:

I know, shut up and enjoy! With any game, you enjoy it while it's still around. Even if Rift Prime is still around after a year, nothing lasts forever. This can apply to ANY game.

There is a man that invested money in CoE; he is sick and elderly, he said that he may not even be around when CoE is completed, and at the rate, it's going, he probably won't be (though I hope he is). 

I'm glad so many are enjoying Rift Prime; Rift is one of my favorite games. I'm glad that many are enjoying it once again.
    These are games that are closely tied to developing a character over a long period of time.  This isn't Netflix, where you just have a list of short, fixed time slots that you know is required going into it.  It's variable depending upon class, professions, gamer interests, etc., and folks don't want to spend time developing an RPG character they know they will lose to a F2P system they're not interested in.

I get the enjoy it while you can vibe, but MMORPGs are a very unique genre built on long-term character development and large-scale multiplayer.  Applying traditional game logic only goes so far.

Dragnelus said:
    I can make 10 slots bag, if you send mats I can make it for you!

You are way ahead of the rest of us it seems, but shoot me a friend invite to my Warlock, Jessup.  I might take you up on the bags, and I'm always down for having folks from MMORPG.com on my friend's list.
    DragnelusMrMelGibson

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I was going to try Rift but then i changed my mind after i was searching info about the game.

I wanted to play cleric but apparently they aren't the best healers in game at the moment which seems strange since they're clerics and apparently the class hasn't had any changes for nearly a year.

I don't know how the classes work but seems like every class can do different roles, I read some where that Rogues are good at healing at the moment. lol 

I was also put off with every time i was looking for a build people kept talking about macros like you needed to use them to play a class to it's full potential and i won't use them just because it's associated with botting.

The other thing was because i hadn't played the game before and it seems they have this yearly plan, I just thought they would be adding new content to quickly for someone who hadn't played the game before.
    MadFrenchieBruceYee
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    It's a nice effort to keep the old MMO's alive tho it's kinda futile.