Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Vermintide MMO, Thoughts?

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
edited March 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
So iv really putting some time into Verminitde 2 , I'v never had any interest in Co-op games like this but Vermintide 2 really has me hooked. The combat feels tight and the weapons really have a sense of weight. The atmosphere /graphics of the game is fantastic and Warhammers lore,setting ect ect make Azeroth and WOW's universe/lore feel childish when comparing the 2 (They are the 2 biggest D & D orcs and elves franchises in gaming afterall, in case you are wondering why i compared). Vermintide/Warhammer feels very dark and mature where as Blizzard creates more of a bubble gum / Disney esque atmosphere

Vermintide 2 would make a fantastic Action MMO in my opinion. Yes the project would be a MASSIVE undertaking for what i understand to be a very small and indie studio in fat shark but i think a potential game changer in the MMO world could be accomplished if they were to take everything about V2 and drop it into a MMO Open world format. 

Thoughts ?

and yes i know warhammer online was released in 2008, i know the history of that game

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Playing Vermintide 2 this last week and this thought also crossed my mind. I would be all in for such a thing. I still play Warhammer online (Age of Reckoning) from time to time and enjoy it. If one could take the core gameplay of Vermintide and make it MMO, I feel it would be great. 
    JeffSpicoli
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Not sure they could translate the combat system well into a truly massive experience.  I could see them adding open world stuff (and indeed, Vermintide 2 has a lot more open areas than the original), but one of the pillars that makes Vermintide work is the literal tide of vermin.  Not sure technical limitations would allow the studio to increase the size of the vermintide to account for the extra players, then all of that has to somehow work without latency or framerate issues.
    JeffSpicolizerokaion

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2018
    Dragon Age MMO...but it would have to be by EA so nevermind...
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I don't think that every game should be an MMO and the problem would be that you would have to sacrifice a lot of the good things to make it into an mmorpg.
    JeffSpicoliGorweCelcius
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited March 2018
    Shaigh said:
    I don't think that every game should be an MMO and the problem would be that you would have to sacrifice a lot of the good things to make it into an mmorpg.
    Right  I agree and thats not where im going with the thread. What i would want would be Vermintide 2 in a open world MMO setting. Exactly what we are playing now just on a massive scale, Im not even sure the tech exists to create this. As Madfrenchie said what makes V2 special is the tide/wave of vermin or enemies and could they even accomplish the tech hurdle of trying to reproduce this in a open world MMO environment without sacrificing anything . 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    An open world Warhammer fantasy based game could be great.  A traditional, big budget WOW-like MMO is fool hearty though.
    Gorwe
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well... You could look in to Warhammer age of reckoning. 

Yes it is a dead game but it also works as a good indication of the general markets interest in a Warhammer MMO. 

This have been a good conversation

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    thunderC said:
    Shaigh said:
    Right  I agree and thats not where im going with the thread. What i would want would be Vermintide 2 in a open world MMO setting. Exactly what we are playing now just on a massive scale, Im not even sure the tech exists to create this. As Madfrenchie said what makes V2 special is the tide/wave of vermin or enemies and could they even accomplish the tech hurdle of trying to reproduce this in a open world MMO environment without sacrificing anything . 
    MMORPG tend to make that sort of content instanced because then you never have to account for more people showing up on the scene. If you are thinking raid scale, most games make that content instanced nowadays simply because its less trouble compared to making it open world.

The production time and costs would also end up a lot larger so financially its lot more risk and not so much reward for making such a game.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MMO over used term.How many foes or combatants at one time,2.3.4 maybe?

Yes i like the idea of co op gaming but the game has to be good,just simply being co op means nothing.
    Ok so i went to look at Vermintide 2.Yea those Warhammer games look pretty good but darn expensive.

Thing is for me after having played thousands of games,i need a certain flair and uniqueness and creativity.

Board and sword stuff is not fun for me anymore and neither are pew pew guns.I still can get into a sniper gun once a while abut not too much. I am looking for games with cool abilities,one the reasons why i enjoyed Dishonored,it was a different kind of combat.

The only ability i see games doing now a days are somersaults,i lol@ that is the limit to  which developers creativity ends.You see even this vermintide 1-2,yea it has a dark nice looking atmosphere but having played Quake and Unreal for years,this is nothing special to me and with less exciting weapons.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Age of Reckoning was dope. Shame....
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I skipped Age of Reckoning at the time but became more interested in the Warhammer fantasy world from playing the Total War games.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The IP is ripe for a MMO, but with past failures and work going on with 40k, maybe best to see how that pans out.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    The IP could certainly be leveraged to make pretty much any type of game, it has masses of potential. 

That said, history is not on it's side. Most Warhammer or 40k games have been pretty terrible and Games Workshop themselves are incredibly badly run and have completely mismanaged their IPs and games right from the start. 

I've not played either of the Vermintide games personally. I'm generally not a fan of these online coop style games anyway, but my preferences for races in Warhammer excludes skaven and empire, so the whole setting of the first one put me off. Why would you pick humans and rats?!?! Warhammer has the best orcs (in my opinion) out of every fantasy IP, but even beyond that you have the option for tons of different elven factions, great chaos stuff, a few different dwarven factions, lizardmen, undead, vampires etc....humans and rats are pretty much as boring as you can get!
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Looking at todays game landscape they would probably just add PvP to it and transform it into another BR game.
    I actually like that Vermintide is a PvE Coop game. A nice change from the common "AHHHHH KILL EVERY OTHER PLAYER!" games. ;)
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I would want another Fantasy Warhammer MMORPG, but not specifically a Vermantide one. The enemy variety is extremely limited in that setting, where you are only generally killing rats (in 2 they have a little more variety), which after a while would get extremely boring. 

The markets general reception for MMO's at this point isn't booming, and making it Warhammer would further limit the audience. But who knows maybe something like that would explode right now. 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Vermintide is it's own thing and is fine as it is. A new Warhammer MMO would be swell though. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Anthur said:
    Looking at todays game landscape they would probably just add PvP to it and transform it into another BR game.
    I actually like that Vermintide is a PvE Coop game. A nice change from the common "AHHHHH KILL EVERY OTHER PLAYER!" games. ;)
    I actually think we have an almost completely untapped market for arena-based PvP games with a fantasy setting. 

I mean, I know we have mobas which somewhat touch on this demographic, but they're all quite similar and aren't what I'm thinking about. 

I'm thinking of something like Battlefield or Call of Duty, but make it 3rd person and fantasy. 50v50 maps (or 50v50v50 if possible!), team deathmatch, capture the flag, last man standing, king of the hill, attack and defence etc. You can put in progression mechanics much like modern shooters which are somewhat horizontal already, ensuring that there is a hook to keep playing whilst still allowing newbies to be competitive. Give a proper character creator to the game to help attract a wider audience. I'm basically thinking of WAR's scenarios but much better!

Combat wise, probably go action combat with maybe 12 skills per class to keep it engaging and skilful whilst still accessible to the masses. 

So, take that concept and apply the Warhammer IP. Two factions, order and destruction. Tons of races to choose from on each side, loads of possible classes within each race and the IP would allow you to keep adding more and more. In my dreams, I'm imaging creating a badass orc with spikey armour and a massive 2h axe, charging across a field with 20 other melee fighters from evil races, supported by healers and ranged. Fighting through the streets of altdorf, or the wooden ramshackle villages of the orcs, or the temples of the lizardmen. You can add "vehicles" in the form of horses, boars, spiders, and pegasus' for personal transportation, or things like stegadons, chariots, arachnaroks and dragons to take the place of tanks and planes. You can even have artillery as there is plenty of that in the lore. For ranged, you have the standard bows and crossbows, but also plenty of muskets, blunderbusses and cannons, not to mention the large variety of magic that exists. 

Yup

I need that game