Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Laptop Between $600-800

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
Greetings!

I’m looking to buy a laptop for my girlfriend and I’ve given myself a budget anywhere between $600-800 for it. I asked her what her requirements are for it and she just wants it for League of Legends and World of Warcraft. It doesn’t have to play on the highest settings but would prefer if she could hit at least medium. 

Looking to order something from Amazon since I have prime for it. 

Thanks!

I had someone recommend me this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q54GSR/ref=psdc_13896615011_t4_B071JPYP1Z

I was wondering if I could get a second opinion for it? It's on sale right now so I'm debating if I should grab it now or wait til another time.  

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    That fits the thread title pretty well, and checks the boxes on what you'd want in a "gaming" laptop at that price.  A GTX 1050 Ti isn't going to give you great gaming performance, but you aren't going to get great gaming performance on that budget.  Games will run at suitable settings.  You might well be able to max LoL; WoW will be fine at suitably reduced settings.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    edited March 2018
    Quizzical said:
    That fits the thread title pretty well, and checks the boxes on what you'd want in a "gaming" laptop at that price.  A GTX 1050 Ti isn't going to give you great gaming performance, but you aren't going to get great gaming performance on that budget.  Games will run at suitable settings.  You might well be able to max LoL; WoW will be fine at suitably reduced settings.
    That's fine she doesn't care about FPS or anything like that. Just wants it to be able to play WoW/League and watch Kitty/Corgi videos.   Is this something I could install later?

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM006/dp/B01IEKG402/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520778556&sr=1-14&keywords=2.5+hard+drive+7200+rpm
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Quizzical said:
    That's fine she doesn't care about FPS or anything like that. Just wants it to be able to play WoW/League and watch Kitty/Corgi videos.   Is this something I could install later?

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM006/dp/B01IEKG402/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520778556&sr=1-14&keywords=2.5+hard+drive+7200+rpm
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49882/~/hard-drive-installation-instructions-for-acer-aspire-nitro-5

Looks like it. In fact, looks like that model can accept a second drive (the SSD is probably a M2 or mSATA and installed on the motherboard).

If that isn't the case, I can understand needing more storage, but I couldn't fathom willingly downgrading from an SSD (which it  appears to ship with) to a HDD. The performance difference will be staggering (maybe not in terms of FPS, but in terms of pretty much everything else). Instead I would look to add external storage to it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Quizzical said:

Is there some reason why she needs more than 256 GB of storage?

Besides, you're not going to fit a 3.5" hard drive into a laptop.  I realize that the link says you searched for 2.5" hard drives and Amazon gave you a 3.5" one, but Amazon's search function basically doesn't work.
    MrMelGibson
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited March 2018
    The closest technical review I can find is here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Nitro-5-7700HQ-GTX-1050-Ti-Laptop-Review.251846.0.html.  This is for the EU version Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-788E  not the model number AN515-51-55WL as listed in Amazon.

Intel NVME form factor SSD and room for a 2.5" SSD/HDD.   They offer a 1TB 5400 rpm HDD in the given model number.

The primary difference between the two models will probably be the keyboard layout and it's electronics and differences in RF interference and hazardous material use.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Go for that Nitro. Your girlfriend will be pleased to use it for gaming. Nitros usually have at least one M.2 SATA socket for the primary SSD and some of these models even have two M.2 SSDs in RAID configuration. Based on the instructions linked you'll be able to fairly easily upgrade it with a secondary 2.5" hard drive or SSD in the future. Also ACER have representatives basically everywhere in the world and they provide global warranty services regardless of where you bought their product from. I'm pretty sure your local ACER representative would be happy to assist you in your storage upgrade too.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I avoid gaming laptops like the plague, personally. Any reason she is stuck on a laptop?
    QuizzicalMrMelGibson
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    $6-800 won't buy you anything useful unless you're getting second-hand hardware off CL or eBay.  Get a desktop if that's the kind of cash you have to spend.  That way, you at least aren't STUCK with the awful components you'll get on a laptop that cheap.

$6-800 is not gaming laptop budget.  It's mid-range productivity laptop budget.

You aren't even in the market for a gaming laptop if that's all you can budget towards it - unless you're specifically looking for second-hand machines.

You're better off getting a desktop, instead.
    Kyleran
    edited March 2018
    Quizzical said:

A GTX 1050 (not Ti) runs WoW at almost max settings, with FPS to spare, on a laptop.  I know people who play on those machines, and they actually cap their Foreground FPS to 60 to reduce heat and noise on their laptops.  This is not an issue.

FFXIV will run on High Settings on a GTX 1050 (not Ti), and that game is considerably more demanding than WoW.

ESO will run at High Settings on a GTX 1050 (not Ti), and you're getting like 80-100 FPS outside of cities (open world, instances, etc.).

GW2 runs at High Settings on a GTX 1050 (not Ti).

BDO runs Medium-High Settings on a GTX 1050 (not Ti).

A GTX 1050 Ti will max half of those games easily, unless your CPU is underpowered.

I tested a lot of games on a Laptop specced with that GPU, and it was totally viable at 1080p for most MMORPG games.  That being said, it was paired with an i7-7700HQ CPU, not an i5.  It wasn't a $6-800 machine.  It was a $1,2-300 machine.

The key to using a GPU like a 1050 or 1050 Ti, even a 1060, IMO, is to respect what they're designed for.  They're designed for games being run at 1080p.  No, you won't get great performance running at 2k and they aren't even usable at 4k.  But at 1080p, they run very well.

Also, use GeForce Experience and let it optimize your games.  Then, go into settings and turn the shadows down a bit.

For casual or budget gamers, 1050/1050 Ti is totally fine.  Most people understand that if they pay a cheaper price for a machine, they will get lower performance.  If they are buying to play specifically certain games, then they can go to YouTube and simply see how that CPU/GPU combination performs.  People have uploaded videos of almost every combination, and I did a lot of this before buying a gaming laptop.

You probably should shoot for replacing a gaming laptop at least every 2 years, due to the fact that you cannot upgrade the CPU or GPU in it, so by the time it really becomes an issue, you'll likely be replacing it, anyways.

A bigger issue is not the 1050 or 1050Ti.

It's the fact that you're not going to get nearly as good a CPU in a $6-800 machine as you would in a $1,200-1,400 machine.  That weaker CPU is likely to bottleneck you a lot more than the 1050[Ti].

The OP wants something to play LoL and WoW.  Discussions about "what kind of performance"  you will get out of something lilke a 1050 are completely out of place in this thread.  The 1050 almost maxes out WoW, and plays LoL on Ultra-Everything without breaking a sweat.  The 1050 Ti is probably 15% more powerful than the 1050, so it isn't even something that should be discussed.

The biggest issue with a laptop that cheap isn't the GPU, but likely the CPU and definitely the hardware quality.

You aren't going to get those nice Matte 1080p 300+ nit IPS screens with ridiculous viewing angles you get on ASUS' Budget (but more expensive) gaming laptops on a machine this cheap.  You're going to get a fugly TN panel.  The KB/Touch Pad, Speakers, Port Selection is likely to be worse.  You may not get a really good WiFi/Ethernet Card in it.  You may not get extra slots for RAM, NVMe SSD, etc. in it.  You also  want something that's usable for productivity (not gaming) > 6 hours off the charger.

All of this is a big deal, since you can't just upgrade this stuff in a laptop.  You really have to spec a gaming laptop for something you'll feel "very comfortable" playing on for 2 years.  On a PC, you can skimp and upgrade over those 2 years.  This is impossible on a laptop.
    MrMelGibson
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Yeah, all the comments above remind me of my boyfriend. I love laptops, but I've heard time and time again, that you get a much better deal with a desktop. Gaming laptops do not give you as much bang for the buck, and they tend to overheat. As much as I love laptops, my next gaming computer is going to be a desktop.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ridelynn said:
    Quizzical said:

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49882/~/hard-drive-installation-instructions-for-acer-aspire-nitro-5

Looks like it. In fact, looks like that model can accept a second drive (the SSD is probably a M2 or mSATA and installed on the motherboard).

If that isn't the case, I can understand needing more storage, but I couldn't fathom willingly downgrading from an SSD (which it  appears to ship with) to a HDD. The performance difference will be staggering (maybe not in terms of FPS, but in terms of pretty much everything else). Instead I would look to add external storage to it.
    Comments as above!

If more storage is needed consider a) an external hard drive b) network attached storage c) cloud storage.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Iv never owned a gaming laptop but for 7 bills i think thats a decent little gaming machine
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've always had a gaming desktop and gaming laptop.  Works out well for me.  Just make sure the laptop has a cooling pad.  
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I've asked her did she want a desktop or a laptop and she says she want's a laptop since we travel a lot she can take it to places if we're staying a couple nights and be able to play with her friends. 

@Quizzical ; Someone told me I should get it so she can browse around all the videos she wants of animals that's why I was considering it. But if it comes already with enough space I won't look into it. 

@Darksworm Trust me I've pitched the desktop multiple times but she wants a laptop. 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited March 2018
    I did some searching about GPUs.  Why?  Because that is the heart and soul of a gaming system.  I wanted to note the GTX1050 Ti.  On a review done on Tom's Hardware, It averaged 73 FPS in Doom @ high settings at 1080p.  That is pretty darn good IMO.  Is it perfect?  Nope, there are better.  But an i5 quad or an i7 quad with a GTX1050 Ti 4GB video card, especially using a game installed on an SSD, should be just fine for moderate gaming.  Not everyone has $1400 for a system equipped with a GTX1070.  And, 73 fps in Doom is just fine for a moderate gaming system.  The laptop version probably won't have the same numbers as a desktop, but if the laptop one does 50 fps, that would be quite adequate IMO.

A link to the article:  https://img.purch.com/r/700x450/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9ILzEvNjIyNjkzL29yaWdpbmFsL2Rvb20tZnIucG5n 

***ADDED AS AN EDIT***

This laptop is a bit out of your price range, but not too bad at $849, but it is a pretty good machine.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316295 

***ANOTHER EDIT***

Damn, it looks like they already sold out...
    Post edited by GladDog on
    MrMelGibson

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

That's why I said to put it off a bit.  It isn't worth it to buy anything for $600, when you can simply wait a couple/few months and get something for $8-900 with a 1050 [Ti]/1060 and a much better CPU, Faster RAM, better build quality, better thermal management, better Ethernet/WiFi, and a far superior screen.

There are tons of decent options in that price range from ASUS (ROG), Dell, HP (Omen), etc.

You can probably save some money by getting something with an AMD CPU and RX 460.  That won't perform as well as the Intel CPU/Nvidia GPU combo (notably: once you get out of Vulcan and get to DirectX), but it will still be more than adequate (but it is going to run a bit warmer).

For what she wants to do, she really is looking for a budget gaming PC.  She is in the market for cheap entry-level gaming laptops with budget dGPUs.

You really shouldn't even be worrying about anything better than a 1050 or 1050Ti for her, IMO.
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Viper482 said:
    I avoid gaming laptops like the plague, personally. Any reason she is stuck on a laptop?
    That's too bad.  Between my wife and I.  I have had 6 gaming laptops.  None have given me issues, and all have played any game I wanted just as well as any desktop.  You need to get rid of this mentality.  Gaming laptops 15+ years ago were a bit rough.  Now a days, there is nothing wrong with them and they have no restrictions on gaming.  I'll never go back to a desktop.

Secondly, why do you and other people always respond like this?  He is looking for a laptop, if he wanted a suggestion on a desktop he would of added that.  If I ask advice on buying a car are you going to try to convince me to buy a motorcycle or boat? 
    Truvidien88
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Yeah, all the comments above remind me of my boyfriend. I love laptops, but I've heard time and time again, that you get a much better deal with a desktop. Gaming laptops do not give you as much bang for the buck, and they tend to overheat. As much as I love laptops, my next gaming computer is going to be a desktop.
    You either have gotten really cheap gaming laptops, or don't bother to clean out the fans and vents regularly.  I have never had issues with overheating.  Use a cooling pad with a laptop will run just fine with no heating issues.  The reason you are paying more is because it's the same tech as the desktop but much smaller.  All tech is like this, the smaller it is, the more $ you're gonna spend.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't TRY to keep up on prices and stats but do know a bit of it.

I got a ROG "republic of gamer's laptop a couple years ago,it is a pretty good one.having said that ,your laptop there is not great but at that price it is a very good buy.
    Geesh a quality gpu in Canada is up around that price alone.Now that i5 is sort of weak,the TI is sort of weak,there is no longevity out of that machine other than playing low end games like FFXI or Wow or moba's/arpg's/TCG's but not happening for FFXIV,at least not without a struggle.

Going back and reading again,you say LOL and WOW,so yeah it will work fine.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.