Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it normal that all the Russian players got kicked out of the SOTA community?

Comments

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Smells like a publisher vs publisher settlement to split up users, rather than a game dev decision. 
    But yeah I would be annoyed too maybe even insulted if I had supported and waited for a game expecting it to be international. At least it should be possible to choose your server region.
    On a side note, players from Russia and related countries are often happy users of f2p (and whales), so for a game that is arguably close to p2w, pissing off these players seem to be a questionable idea.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I just can't even imagine how the people of the Ukraine are dealing with this after all the crap that happened a couple years ago.  Maybe they can reach out to the EU as this doesn't seem legal since people can't access stuff they paid for even though the game is up.  Don't know all the laws of the EU but I know they have some really good customer protection ones.

This is the type of move that puts a nail into the coffin for a game dev.

blorpykinsKyleranGdemamiFreelancerND[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Astraeis said:
    This kind of dickery does the game no service.
    But if any game in development was going to have shenanigans like this,  is it any surprise SotA is the one to do it?

They seem to excel at doing things to alienate various portions of the gaming population, more so than most any other Dev out there.

AstraeisGdemamiLackingMMO

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Sovrath said:
    Interitus said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Soooooooooo, are we saying that we find it really weird and shocking that someone blocked non-natives from accessing their country...I mean site. Huh.... Interesting.... 
    Except the rest of the world can apparently use those forums. So instead it looks more like a targeted group than mass exclusion.
    I think it's pretty clear it has more to do with the Russian Publisher consolidating their players.
    What players?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    So Russian players were denied from a product they purchased? 
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited March 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Interitus said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Soooooooooo, are we saying that we find it really weird and shocking that someone blocked non-natives from accessing their country...I mean site. Huh.... Interesting.... 
    Except the rest of the world can apparently use those forums. So instead it looks more like a targeted group than mass exclusion.
    I think it's pretty clear it has more to do with the Russian Publisher consolidating their players.
    Their players? 

Being directed against your own will to a forum with a language you dont speak is nothing but a scandal and unprofessional.

Snikorts - Great... Now https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com redirects to https://www.sota-game.com/ and everything is in Russian language. 
    Only way to reach official forums is to type manually https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/ . 
    And there is no way to switch back. Which leads to less reasons to play this game.
    Such an insult for a backer...

Babai - I backed SotA on Kickstarter and now lost all access to my Royal Founder rewards page, shipment information etc. I feel completely betrayed and my personal data sold to some weird company with bad reputation...
    I really want to have choice in a situations that involve my personal data and be back with international community.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I mean if they are going to deny players from access to the game the least they can do is issue refunds to them.
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Renoaku said:
    I mean if they are going to deny players from access to the game the least they can do is issue refunds to them.

They can't fix it with refunds.  They don't give refunds and they force people into the RMT market as a way to justify not giving refunds.  But now players can't access the player market so all their access to the RMT market is gone too.
    Renoaku said:

They can't fix it with refunds.  They don't give refunds and they force people into the RMT market as a way to justify not giving refunds.  But now players can't access the player market so all their access to the RMT market is gone too.
    They are not denying players access go the game, every one plays on the same servers, unlike most localization deals.

I assume in a few weeks they'll sort out all of the access issues in terms of backer rewards, RMT items or what not.

If not fixed by launch, then its time to bring out the tar and feathers.

MrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

They are not denying players access go the game, every one plays on the same servers, unlike most localization deals.

I assume in a few weeks they'll sort out all of the access issues in terms of backer rewards, RMT items or what not.

The RMT market is in their forums.  If players can't access their accounts through the website then they can't do things like gift, transfer ownership of a town, or sell an account.  The forums is where all the RMT is coordinated, people log into the game to complete trades, having forum and website access is still the most important part of the player market.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    It's interesting to see  how there are even many other problems that RMT can cause for a game that were previously unknown or unanticipated.
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

The RMT market is in their forums.  If players can't access their accounts through the website then they can't do things like gift, transfer ownership of a town, or sell an account.  The forums is where all the RMT is coordinated, people log into the game to complete trades, having forum and website access is still the most important part of the player market.
    And perhaps in a few weeks everything will be all sorted out, better to wait and see.

Or you can come here and slam them some more, that works too.

blorpykinsMrMelGibson

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

The website, store and forums are part of the game experience and some people are denied access to that. The time to bring out tar and feathers is now.
    Kyleran

edited March 2018
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

The website, store and forums are part of the game experience and some people are denied access to that. The time to bring out tar and feathers is now.
    Absolutely, definitely time for hysterics .... not.

Overly dramatic gamers..... belong in TNT or something.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    And people wonder why this was not discussed prior... .. . 

Perhaps because they knew that people would blow it way out of proportion either way and felt that they might as well save them self the hassle. (the publisher that is... Not throwing any shade on the devs for this) 

As someone who sat through the SoE>pro7Sat>sony>daybreak cycle i can only say. Shit happens but most of the time it sorts it self out in the end. Sure there will always be fringe cases when the entire chain breaks down. But i am sure that most people will not care in a month or two. 

Is it underhanded, yes... Very much so. But on the flip side the internet community have proven time after time that it has the impulse control of of a squirrel on meth. So of you know that the death-threats and call for lawsuits will come any way... Do you keep it low and save the devs the experince... Or do you throw them under the bus? 
    blorpykins

This have been a good conversation

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    player split based on network infrastructure per location... not the first time it happens in online games
    tawess said:
    And people wonder why this was not discussed prior... .. . 

Perhaps because they knew that people would blow it way out of proportion either way and felt that they might as well save them self the hassle. (the publisher that is... Not throwing any shade on the devs for this) 

As someone who sat through the SoE>pro7Sat>sony>daybreak cycle i can only say. Shit happens but most of the time it sorts it self out in the end. Sure there will always be fringe cases when the entire chain breaks down. But i am sure that most people will not care in a month or two. 

Is it underhanded, yes... Very much so. But on the flip side the internet community have proven time after time that it has the impulse control of of a squirrel on meth. So of you know that the death-threats and call for lawsuits will come any way... Do you keep it low and save the devs the experince... Or do you throw them under the bus? 

Clearly you're not from one of the affected countries.
    Galadourn said:
    player split based on network infrastructure per location... not the first time it happens in online games

Not being separated by server though, the game is only one server.
    edited March 2018
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

Agree. Very unprofessional and the one's calling it a biggie dont live in countries that is affected.

Players that want answers have met total silence for 4 days which say the most about this game and it's developers.

ChavaiotH
    - No answer. No store access, no account access. Silence.

daarh
    - I write email to portalium, write to black sun - no answer 4 day!

I Live in Latvia. This is part of Eurpean Union. Language - Latvian, National curremcy - Euro. How Black sun can make support in Latvian Language? And all price in russian currency. In europea country? Realy?

I want opt-out from Black sun! And this company have problem with Copyright violation

daarh
    - Not worrying, I stop play, becaouse I disagree with this account transfering. And make request for deleting all my personal information saved in Black Sun. For European Union new law (may, 2018) about European citizen perosnal information stored, secured.

daarh - Black Sun working with our account, there is email, payment method and any otheer our personal info. And save it in russian servers

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/avatar-customer-transition-to-russian-speaking-forums-and-website-really.111022/page-5

[Deleted User]
    Aragon100 said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

Agree. Very unprofessional and the one's calling it a biggie dont live in countries that is affected.

Players that want answers have met total silence for 4 days which say the most about this game and it's developers.

ChavaiotH

daarh

I Live in Latvia. This is part of Eurpean Union. Language - Latvian, National curremcy - Euro. How Black sun can make support in Latvian Language? And all price in russian currency. In europea country? Realy?

I want opt-out from Black sun! And this company have problem with Copyright violation

daarh
    - Not worrying, I stop play, becaouse I disagree with this account transfering. And make request for deleting all my personal information saved in Black Sun. For European Union new law (may, 2018) about European citizen perosnal information stored, secured.

daarh - Black Sun working with our account, there is email, payment method and any otheer our personal info. And save it in russian servers

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/avatar-customer-transition-to-russian-speaking-forums-and-website-really.111022/page-5

4 whole days....terrible......

We know this group isn't very professional, likely it will take them weeks to sort it all out.

Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Renoaku said:

ChavaiotH

daarh

daarh

4 whole days....terrible......

We know this group isn't very professional, likely it will take them weeks to sort it all out.

It seem to upset the ones that is affected and i understand them.

Why the total silence? How hard can it be to make an update to the players that is worried?
    Renoaku said:
    So Russian players were denied from a product they purchased? 
    They aren't russian players.  You aren't russian unless you are from Russia.  Guessing you didn't read where these players are from.  People from countries like the Ukraine can't access most of the features anymore because a some of their banks have forbidden dealing with Russia.  They can't use their money to pay for anything without going through an exchange because it doesn't except their form of money.  So overall these people that backed the game just lost access to some features of the game because they have to go to a Russian page that is only in Russian a language they don't speak which doesn't deal with their countries for purchases.
    [Deleted User]
    Galadourn said:

Yup as far as I can tell it is just for purchases and support which is the problem people are complaining about.  Imagine you are a english only speaker and all the sudden the english based company you supported told you that all your support must be done in another language and you can't use english at all and that even though the company still has a english support you will not be helped thru it.
    edited March 2018
    k61977 said:
    Galadourn said:

Yup as far as I can tell it is just for purchases and support which is the problem people are complaining about.  Imagine you are a english only speaker and all the sudden the english based company you supported told you that all your support must be done in another language and you can't use english at all and that even though the company still has a english support you will not be helped thru it.
    No account access is also mentioned.

ChavaiotH - No answer. No store access, no account access. Silence.

k61977 said:
    Galadourn said:

Except people aren't being told they won't be helped.

This from the SotA community Mgr Berek,

"Thank you for posting your concern here! We apologize that the redirect has caused some confusion, and we're working to see how this can be resolved for all fringe cases.

If you have access to these forums, please feel free to post bug reports here. If you have access to sota-game.com, please use their website for all transactions and support needs where possible.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to still communicate with us via [email protected] and we will try to get you to the right place. "

They are also sending out this canned response to people who inquire,

"We would like to assure you that since Black Sun is our partner, we put our full trust in them to take care of your customer service needs. You will need to go through their store to make purchases and if you have account questions contact them directly, but you will still have access to our English-language forums. This will also have no affect on your in-game character as we are all on the same server."

It seems they are working with and thru Blacksun to see if they can manage the problem from their end.  Might take some time to sort it all out.