Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia trying to force companies to stop selling AMD GPUs

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/08/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice

Basically, the claim there is that if an GPU board partner (e.g., Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) or an OEM (e.g., Dell, HP) sells GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia, then Nvidia is threatening that they won't get any Nvidia GPUs until the partners that are Nvidia-only have already been able to get all that they want.  When supplies are plentiful several months after launch, everyone will be able to get and sell all of the Nvidia GPUs that they want.  But when there's a short supply at launch, companies that also sell GPUs from AMD will get nothing from Nvidia for a while.

Intel was forced to pay over $1 billion several years ago for illegally pressuring companies not to sell AMD CPUs.  It looks like Nvdiia wants to repeat that with GPUs, even though they're in a far less dominant position in the GPU market than Intel was in CPUs.

From a consumer perspective, this is unambiguously terrible.  I don't know if it's illegal, but it sounds like it could be.  Nvidia has proven many times in the past that they don't particularly care about making their customers or business partners hate them, and if the story is accurate, this is one more example of that.
[Deleted User]GdemamimaskedweaselVrikaSiphaedGladDog[Deleted User]

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    edited March 2018
    Saw this from PC Gamer 

Communication between Bennett and Nvidia seems to be non-existent at this point. When Forbes pinged Nvidia about the situation, Nvidia referred back to its blog post, and in particular the part that says "the program isn't exclusive. Partners continue to have the ability to sell and promote products from anyone." Nvidia also told Forbes that "the program is transparent and beneficial to gamers, and we have nothing further to add at this time."

Forbes
    I reached out to an Nvidia representative regarding this story, and he pointed me back to their blog post, particularly the line

"The program isn’t exclusive. Partners continue to have the ability to sell and promote products from anyone."

The Nvidia representative added that "The program is transparent and beneficial to gamers, and we have nothing further to add at this time."

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I can see both sides.

If Nvidia is having trouble keeping up with demand, prioritizing exclusive sellers seems less an evil, manipulative scheme and more simply a perk of excluding potential sales from other brands to go all-in with Nvidia.

Now, if they started telling vendors that, regardless of supply, they will receive less or will be unduly delayed, I could definitely see that being an issue.

As it stands, Nvidia is probably more worried about exclusive partners pushing back against their refusing to fulfill orders because another vendor down the street needs some but has a full stock of AMDs to offer customers.
    KyleranConstantineMerusEponyxDamork61977

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    This is bordering on monopolizing surely ?
    Asm0deusDakeruAllerleirauh
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Saw this from PC Gamer 

Communication between Bennett and Nvidia seems to be non-existent at this point. When Forbes pinged Nvidia about the situation, Nvidia referred back to its blog post, and in particular the part that says "the program isn't exclusive. Partners continue to have the ability to sell and promote products from anyone." Nvidia also told Forbes that "the program is transparent and beneficial to gamers, and we have nothing further to add at this time."

Forbes
    I reached out to an Nvidia representative regarding this story, and he pointed me back to their blog post, particularly the line

"The program isn’t exclusive. Partners continue to have the ability to sell and promote products from anyone."

The Nvidia representative added that "The program is transparent and beneficial to gamers, and we have nothing further to add at this time."
    From my link above:

"The crux of the issue with NVIDIA GPP comes down to a single requirement in order to be part of GPP. In order to have access to the GPP program, its partners must have its "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce." I have read documents with this requirement spelled out on it.

What would it mean to have your "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce?" The example that will likely resonate best with HardOCP readers is the ASUS Republic of Gamers brand. I have no knowledge if ASUS is a GPP partner, I am simply using the ROG brand hypothetically. If ASUS is an NVIDIA GPP partner, and it wants to continue to use NVIDIA GPUs in its ROG branded video cards, computers, and laptops, it can no longer sell any other company's GPUs in ROG products. So if ASUS want to keep building NVIDIA-based ROG video cards, it can no longer sell AMD-based ROG video cards, and be a GPP partner."

Either Kyle has the story completely wrong, or else Nvidia is being highly deceptive if not outright lying.

Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Quizzical said:
    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/08/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice

Basically, the claim there is that if an GPU board partner (e.g., Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) or an OEM (e.g., Dell, HP) sells GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia, then Nvidia is threatening that they won't get any Nvidia GPUs until the partners that are Nvidia-only have already been able to get all that they want.  When supplies are plentiful several months after launch, everyone will be able to get and sell all of the Nvidia GPUs that they want.  But when there's a short supply at launch, companies that also sell GPUs from AMD will get nothing from Nvidia for a while.

Intel was forced to pay over $1 billion several years ago for illegally pressuring companies not to sell AMD CPUs.  It looks like Nvdiia wants to repeat that with GPUs, even though they're in a far less dominant position in the GPU market than Intel was in CPUs.

From a consumer perspective, this is unambiguously terrible.  I don't know if it's illegal, but it sounds like it could be.  Nvidia has proven many times in the past that they don't particularly care about making their customers or business partners hate them, and if the story is accurate, this is one more example of that.
    It actually seems pretty benign to me.  It only provides companies that exclusively use NVidia chips a 'priority' status, and only once those customers have as many as they want/need, does NVidia provide chips to companies that build products using both NVidia and AMD chips.  Basically, it seems to be a 'favored trading partner' type thing.  Unless NVidia begins adjusting their production schedule to restrict the supply, it probably shouldn't be considered illegal.

By itself, this policy doesn't seem to threaten the consumer.  We'll have to see if NVidia tries to get all draconian with this before the consumer sees an impact.

KyleranEponyxDamorRexKushman

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    First - this is a lot of speculation about non-GPP not getting allocation up front, or restricted allocation, or anything else. The GPP doesn't say that anywhere. Yes, it's an easy thing to infer, but that doesn't make it true. It could possibly be illegal if it were documented as a practice (which it's not), or if it were actually practiced (which is yet to be seen). As of right now, this is a concern, true, but it's not a certainty. I think HardOCP blew this part way out of proportion in order to make a splash (and it worked).

Second - Yes - GPP says, as a partner, your brand needs to be nVidia only. For example - Asus couldn't sell ROG Strix GeForce and ROG Strix RX580s like they do now. The way I read that, it doesn't mean Asus can't sell AMD products. nVidia products would have to have their own distinct branding: either nVidia keeps the Strix lineup and AMD gets something new, or vice versa. I assume it would also apply to motherboards, PSUs, etc. Not that nVidia produces those products, but they very much want the branding to uniquely identify with GeForce (even though the nVidia GeForce brand already does that), and at least in the case of motherboards, you are then promoting Intel or AMD CPUs, which aren't direct competition to nVidia, but both of which do compete with nVidia in the GPU market.

[Deleted User]Gdemami
    "GPP partners will get early access to our latest innovations, and work closely with our engineering team to bring the newest technologies to gamers."

That's from Nvidia's announcement of the program.  If only favored partners get early access, then everyone else necessarily gets only later access.

Here's an explanation of some relevant US laws from the FTC:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/exclusive-supply-or
    https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/refusal-deal

Apparently whether it's a violation of the law depends substantially on how widely applicable the agreements are.  If Nvidia were trying to make it impossible to buy AMD GPUs at all, that would be a clear violation of the law.  If they had just one favored partner to help them get reference boards ready, that clearly wouldn't be.  Nvidia already has a special relationship of sorts with EVGA, as does AMD with Sapphire.

As I read it, Nvidia is trying to get perhaps half of board partners, most OEMs, and basically all gaming laptop vendors to drop discrete AMD GPUs entirely, or perhaps only to drop the higher end GPUs.  Presumably Nvidia would be fine with partners having a Jaton-like relationship with AMD that avoids the gaming-focused video cards.
    DakeruGdemamiPhry
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    God luck trying to prove this.However if the government agency sees a winnable case they will go after it,they did years ago versus Hasbro.The problem is then they had concrete proof,in this case the proof would be trying to prove the intent of the words used.

Nvidia would just claim ,that if supply is low ,then some will be left off the mailing list.The key phrase in that GPP is saying "partners have their own choice to sign up".If there is a drawback to not signing up,it sounds like a monopoly move to me.

What disappoints me however is that these interviews and documents should have gone straight to the hands of several government agencies and not put it out in the open so Nvidia lawyers can start working on a defense.

Then the problem of anyone in the know,they would likely be under a NDA,however unless changed,NDA cannot circumvent the law,a business is not saved by any NDA if it asking employees to cover up illegal activities.

Still bottom line,how do you prove this?I will mention this...How do people think Nvidia got to the top in the first place?They put a hefty legal team versus 3DFX and put them at the time their main competitor out of business.

There is always people in power that manipulate laws and leave loopholes just so other corrupt people can find holes to get off from illegal activity.

Nvidia and Soundblaster have always been scum in my books,both got to the top by utilizing money/power to eliminate competition.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Honestly a move like this could blow up in their face if they don't completely stop supply for board partners who also sell AMD products. It would just mean the board partners would need to put more effort in AMD products since they will have less products from nVidia. I don't think nVidia has the market share to warrant such a move. They may move 1 or 2 board partners, but the bulk will probably not ignore the loss of income.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    There is no laws that force a business to sell products to another is there?

I mean if Nvidia want's to have their own partnership program, or not to sell cards to a specific OEM, aren't they within legal rights?

I mean OEM's such as HP, Dell, or Alienware can always decline the partnership, and consumers can always buy graphics cards of their choice online I don't see what the problem is.

Personally, AMD sucks anyways, only the Ryzen seemed faster, but that was in Multicore performance Intel still wins Single Core, and AMD Graphics cards and Open CL / GL issues = Nvidia hands down.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2018
    Renoaku said:
    There is when that company has monopoly. If a company that has monopoly is allowed to do that, then they can use their strong position with one product to drive away competitors of their other products.

For example AMD can't currently seriously compete against GTX 1080 and 1080 Ti. If NVidia were to dictate that stores which sell RX 580 aren't allowed to buy any of their GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 Ti cards, stores would have to make a choice between dropping RX 580 in favor of GTX 1060 or losing most of their top-end sales as GTX 1080 -level GPU buyers head to other stores.

That kind of competition isn't healthy, and if you have a monopoly it's illegal.
    ScotQuizzicalGdemami

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Without competition that market will suffer, PC's are not pushing the boundaries nearly as much as they were twenty or even ten years ago. So that could compound a problem the PC already has. 
    [Deleted User]
    Vrika said:
    Renoaku said:
    There is when that company has monopoly. If a company that has monopoly is allowed to do that, then they can use their strong position with one product to drive away competitors of their other products.

For example AMD can't currently seriously compete against GTX 1080 and 1080 Ti. If NVidia were to dictate that stores which sell RX 580 aren't allowed to buy any of their GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 Ti cards, stores would have to make a choice between dropping RX 580 in favor of GTX 1060 or losing most of their top-end sales as GTX 1080 -level GPU buyers head to other stores.

That kind of competition isn't healthy, and if you have a monopoly it's illegal.
    Two quibbles with that example.  First, the Radeon RX Vega 64 is certainly competitive with a GTX 1080.  It's the GTX 1080 Ti for which AMD has no competing product, at least for gaming, which is what most people would buy them for.  Or at least, in saner times, it's what most people would buy them for; miners would likely prefer a Vega 64.

Second, Nvidia and AMD don't sell GPUs directly to stores.  Rather, they sell them to board partners who assemble the cards, laptop vendors, and probably OEMs who build complete computers.
    Phry
    Renoaku said:

I mean if Nvidia want's to have their own partnership program, or not to sell cards to a specific OEM, aren't they within legal rights?

I mean OEM's such as HP, Dell, or Alienware can always decline the partnership, and consumers can always buy graphics cards of their choice online I don't see what the problem is.

Personally, AMD sucks anyways, only the Ryzen seemed faster, but that was in Multicore performance Intel still wins Single Core, and AMD Graphics cards and Open CL / GL issues = Nvidia hands down.
    In most cases, it's completely legal to refuse to deal with a particular company.  However, if your reason for doing that is trying to create or maintain a monopoly in your own market, then it's a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890.

The impression I get is that Nvidia is trying to just barely stay legal here.  The law is murky enough as to exactly what constitutes an anti-competitive practice that they're risking 9 or 10 figure fines if their lawyers are slightly wrong about something.

This has nothing to do with CPUs.  Companies that sign up for the GeForce Partner Program would readily be able to sell Intel and/or AMD CPUs if they like.  I'd be very surprised if Nvidia tries to stop them from selling integrated AMD GPUs or older, lower end AMD GPUs.  Hence Nvidia's above claim of, "Partners continue to have the ability to sell and promote products from anyone."  That claim doesn't state that they can sell and promote arbitrary other products from anyone, however.

While I have less experience with OpenGL, I have a lot of experience with OpenCL.  From a development perspective, you'd have to be nuts to not try your OpenCL code on GPUs from both vendors, as that's a huge aid in debugging.  But even then, I tend to run into more problems with Nvidia GPUs than AMD, from dragging their feet on support to driver bugs to being terrible at PCI Express data transfers.
    Gdemami
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Vrika said:
    Renoaku said:

Monopolies may be technically illegal but that doesn't mean it doesn't, and continues to, happen.

Just one example:

Monopolies aren't intrinsically illegal.  Some markets have a monopoly because it's a small enough market that no potential competitors find it worthwhile to enter.  Patent laws commonly give a company a temporary monopoly so that the monopoly profits can cover development costs, as otherwise, there would be no providers of the good at all.  GPUs are not either of those situations, of course.

On the HardOCP forum, Kyle, who broke the story, said:

"I have not spoken with any OEM or AIB that is a fan of this program. Quite the opposite in fact."
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    This is bordering on monopolizing surely ?
    No.
    Phry
    With Trump dismantling Nafta , there could be a loop hole that is allowing Nvdia to seize on the monopoly ,legally in the U.S.   .  Europe is a different region with different laws.
    The Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 predates NAFTA by more than a century.  NAFTA probably isn't relevant here.  And for all of Trump's wild rhetoric about wanting to renegotiate NAFTA, he's hardly "dismantling" it.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Avarix said:
    Vrika said:
    Renoaku said:

Monopolies may be technically illegal but that doesn't mean it doesn't, and continues to, happen.

I did not say that a monopoly would be illegal, it's not.

But if the company has a monopoly they're forbidden some actions so that they couldn't prevent others from competing by their sheer market power.

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    It's when you don't have enough confidence in your own company's products/services that these type of ultimatums are handed-out as deflection marketing.  I like Nvidia cards, always have, but next time I'm shopping for a graphics card I might just jump brands. 
    DvoraGdemamiJeffSpicoliDragonJockeyPhry
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    There isn't a thing illegal or wrong about what they are doing here.  They are saying that the companies that are supporting them the most will always be ahead of others that support them sometimes.  That makes logical business sense, you give your loyal base propriety over others.  They are not saying the other companies can't sell other cards at all, they are saying that selling other cards in a shortage of supply means that those companies need look elsewhere for cards to sell as the loyal customers will be first in line for all new products coming off the line.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    It's when you don't have enough confidence in your own company's products/services that these type of ultimatums are handed-out as deflection marketing.  I like Nvidia cards, always have, but next time I'm shopping for a graphics card I might just jump brands. 
    I'm thinking the same thing... Never liked AMD cards but if theres something close in performance next upgrade, I'll give it a go.
    Someone pointed out on another forum that there's a giant shortage of video cards right now, there has been for several months, and there's no sign of it ending soon.  Right now, board partners can pretty trivially sell all the cards they can make to miners.  If this program had been in place several months ago, partners who didn't sign up would have probably either gotten exactly nothing in the last few months or else been restricted to low end cards that aren't suitable for gaming.
    Gdemami
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    It would not have mattered but it has exacerbated because of the shortage of cards. I am really dreading upgrading when I have too in the future if this situation with the miners has no sign of abating.

Gdemami

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited March 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Someone pointed out on another forum that there's a giant shortage of video cards right now, there has been for several months, and there's no sign of it ending soon.  Right now, board partners can pretty trivially sell all the cards they can make to miners.  If this program had been in place several months ago, partners who didn't sign up would have probably either gotten exactly nothing in the last few months or else been restricted to low end cards that aren't suitable for gaming.
    My understanding is that the current lack of cards isn't because nVidia/AMD can't crank out enough GPU chips, it's because there isn't enough RAM manufacturing capability to produce enough GDDR5/HBM to go around right now.

So yes, AIBs can sell every card they can produce. However, GPU chip manufacturers (nV/AMD) could probably get enough manufacturing capability to crank out enough GPUs if they wanted to. My understanding is that nV has stopped P102/104 production recently anyway, in order to start ramping up for ~whatever~ is supposedly coming next (Ampere/Turing/Volta/whatever they are calling it now). And AMD is gunshy of ramping up production to meet demand, because they got burned when they did that for the 7970.

Now, there have been points in the not to distant past where GPU production was the bottleneck - that was almost always connected to a paper launch by the manufacturer though. I can only think of a couple of times where it was due to something else: the 6970 and 7970 where scarce for a while there because of mining, iirc. But I can't think of any nVidia chip that did the same, apart from paper launch issues.
    Post edited by Ridelynn on