Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Performance and Optimization - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - Performance and Optimization - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Sean Tracy and Sandi Gardiner are back with the latest Star Citizen: Around the Verse, this time, and the for the first time, filmed in front of a live studio audience. The audience is made up of some of the Star Citizen subscribers who were invited to check out the studio and sit in on the creation of Around the Verse.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    The production value of these SC update videos never ceases to impress me.
    --------------------------------------------
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Great! Keep it up!
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    is the persistent universe live and working yet? i still have my 50$ package i bought like 4 years ago that i need to unpack....
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    LMAO....seeing that typical comedy que ue to give the cheers and screams from the very biased crowd was almost enough to stop the video.

The simulation of damage is really a cheap idea of lighting.Naturally having way too many ships makes it too costly to now do a few different animation effects simulating damage,but that is what happens when you run a greedy cash shop.
    So now because of so many ships,they can't do anything AAA with ships because every idea has to be easily implemented for 100+++ ships.I feel a good compromise would have been around 30 ships.

The smoother exit was poorly worded.I think what he means is that the VIEW of exiting is improved with better graphic changes.The term SMOOTH would have to do with a VERY simply implementation of physics,how fast the ship is leaving a planet surface.If they wanted to give ships a vibration effect to better simulate take off,that would be cool and actually be a NON smooth launch and more realistic.

My last comment ...weapon damage.This is a VERY easy area to work on and really should have been AAA a VERY long time ago.Yet again they would simply decide on the feel of a weapon,does it vibrate or shake,other than that it is simply a matter of the animation effects of firing and impact which again is simple use of animation frames.

Some of the other comments were just ridiculous nonsense talking about ideas improving this or improving that,but were in reality VERY trivial and the average person won't notice or care about ANY of it.Even more so since you won't see but a hand in the ship cockpit and if wearing gear/helmet you won't see ANY of the character.

Just to reiterate,there is no such things a bugs lol,only bad coding.
    Do we EVER get in these videos ,confirmation of ANYTHING being finished roflmao,,seriously.

MaxBaconalloin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Wizardry said:
    LMAO....seeing that typical comedy que ue to give the cheers and screams from the very biased crowd was almost enough to stop the video.

The simulation of damage is really a cheap idea of lighting.Naturally having way too many ships makes it too costly to now do a few different animation effects simulating damage,but that is what happens when you run a greedy cash shop.
    So now because of so many ships,they can't do anything AAA with ships because every idea has to be easily implemented for 100+++ ships.I feel a good compromise would have been around 30 ships.

The smoother exit was poorly worded.I think what he means is that the VIEW of exiting is improved with better graphic changes.The term SMOOTH would have to do with a VERY simply implementation of physics,how fast the ship is leaving a planet surface.If they wanted to give ships a vibration effect to better simulate take off,that would be cool and actually be a NON smooth launch and more realistic.

My last comment ...weapon damage.This is a VERY easy area to work on and really should have been AAA a VERY long time ago.Yet again they would simply decide on the feel of a weapon,does it vibrate or shake,other than that it is simply a matter of the animation effects of firing and impact which again is simple use of animation frames.

Some of the other comments were just ridiculous nonsense talking about ideas improving this or improving that,but were in reality VERY trivial and the average person won't notice or care about ANY of it.Even more so since you won't see but a hand in the ship cockpit and if wearing gear/helmet you won't see ANY of the character.

Do we EVER get in these videos ,confirmation of ANYTHING being finished roflmao,,seriously.

I'm sorry that there's nobody from the Half-Life dev team involved with this project. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    is the persistent universe live and working yet? i still have my 50$ package i bought like 4 years ago that i need to unpack....
    I don't know how much of a persistent universe you are expecting?You mean npc's moving around on space stations because i can't think of much more than that.The quests/missions will be individual sort of instanced ideas that only generate when a player activates a mission.Not even sure how that will work when goes live and hundreds maybe thousands all doing the same mission/quests.

Other than that,an auction house of some sort,idk what else this game will do to create a persistent world,i highly doubt living npc's on planets aside from space stations and even then likely most will be stationary with almost no Ai.

An actual cool idea which i got to witness in FFXI to simulate a real world that is persistent was a few of the enemy factions would 1,2,3x a day gather up forces and attack the main city,You would actually see those ground forces moving along the world in real life,real time until they got near the city then they would instance in and players would gather to defend the city.

That is the type of cotnent i expected from Eve than never materialized,usualy i just see very lazy ideas like the typical quests or missions that get old real fast and do very little if anything to give the impression of a living world.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I like these roadmaps and the devs are actually explaining what they are working on. However, I’m still not convinced to fund it yet.

Is a 2020 release even in the realm of possibility?
    ScotchUp
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I like these roadmaps and the devs are actually explaining what they are working on. However, I’m still not convinced to fund it yet.

I used to joke a few years ago as to how this game has a 2020 release date... right now I see I was being optimistic.
    There's no chance they're releasing all they've promised in 2020... they are still struggling with basic stuff.
    Agent_JosephScotchUp

..Cake..

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    sgel said:

I used to joke a few years ago as to how this game has a 2020 release date... right now I see I was being optimistic.
    There's no chance they're releasing all they've promised in 2020... they are still struggling with basic stuff.
    Yeah, I remember in 2016 it was a joke and the "fans" would jump all over it. At that time, they had a December 2016 release date for Squadron 42 and had a page dedicated to that fact that asked for pledges. That page lasted through at least November. 

Now we are March 2018. In December 2017, Erillion was saying June 2018 SQ42 launch and it was so laughable. 2020 is likely extremely optimistic at this point. To say that development is sluggish would be an incredible understatement. Their failure to do what they say they will is legendary.
    sgelMadFrenchie
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2018

Even if they hit all the bulletpoints on their 2018 roadmap (which somehow is looking less and less likely than even the pessimists' estimations at the start of the year), Star Citizen still won't have lots of the promised core functionalities in it.   Of course, one of the most important parts of 2018's roadmap, the core parts of the NETWORK CODE, were just stated to be delayed indefiniately until they get object streaming in (despite that one being farther down the roadmap) so.... yea.

Even if they do somehow implement all that by 2019 and (somehow) get a functioning network code, there's still land and tanks and npcs and friggin' enemy AI etc.  And then that stuff needs to be alpha'd (the fact that it's not in yet is one reason why calling the current Star Citizen an Alpha is an insult to Alphas) before being beta'd 

So basically, even if CiG somehow meets its roadmap deadlines (which they won't, but hypothetically...), 2020 is still not going to happen.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited March 2018
    Wizardry said:
    "there is no such thing as bugs only bad coding." OMG I would like to see you come to a job interview for a programmer job with that sentence! There was a guy in our company that came talking big like that, got the job, got fired ASAP. I don't know where that sentence comes from, but it certainly isn't from programmers who live in the real world haha

Sure if ya rolling into smaller simpler projects, for non-trivial programs saying that is plain dreamland. 

Anyway, as for the last part, yes, the studio update was mostly talking about the progress on features part of the Alpha 3.1 update, that update has just recently released to the first backer testing phase. Happy now? :) 
    chojin2k
  • DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    How does this compare to Elite dangerous? i have around 60 hrs in ED and enjoy it alot but heard SC is a bit more fleshed out but all these comments make me wonder prob just best to see if it ever gets a real release date.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2018
    DrDream said:
    How does this compare to Elite dangerous? i have around 60 hrs in ED and enjoy it alot but heard SC is a bit more fleshed out but all these comments make me wonder prob just best to see if it ever gets a real release date.

Those comments about a fleshed out SC are based on a hypothetical imaginary SC that one day was completed with all its promises fulfilled.

What's currently in SC right now is fetching and delivering boxes, a walking/driving simulator in space, some terrible flight combat gameplay, empty moons, bugs (of the programming variety), and... not much else.
    MaxBacon
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited March 2018
    DrDream said:
    SC is not more fleshed out because it is n Alpha and still lacks much content and functionality on gameplay, Elite is released, but comparing to Elite it simply is a different approach on a sim that mixes well with one FPS, is you are your player character + ships in one online game-world.

You can always try it out once they do a free flight and check that by yourself, but it's better to wait if you want to play something that already is fleshed out.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    DrDream said:

I'd definitely wait. I mean the biggest unknowns are about how things are implemented. If you like ED then I'd assume you'll like SC, since SC is supposed to be very "simulation-like", but what that looks like at release? No idea. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Just thinking of this game hurts my head now days.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    DrDream said:
    Elite: Dangerous is is a game. Star Citizen is a prototype that seems to be developed with all the speed of Duke Nukem Forever.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I watched the video when it came out and found it interesting. Nice touch with the subscribers as audience.

If anyone wants to see the current state of the game just watch a live stream of game play. Post game play streams may be edited a lot. So just review the live ones.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    DrDream said:
    Elite dangerous is a super polished game, and while its game content is very limited, that content works near flawlessly and with a fantastic framerate.

Star Citizen is a barely functional, bug-ridden prototype (not a game) of ultra broken optimization (5 fps or less in some cases on GTX 1080+ systems), with nearly zero content. It serves as a demonstration of what might be achieved in CryEngine if you tried to rig it to work as a persistent online game. The current state of SC feels far more like a fan-made hack to CryEngine from ambitious college students than the 350+ Employee, near 200 million dollar budget, 4+ year project it is today.

I'd would strongly recommend not touching anything Star Citizen related until the game becomes anything close to a game (I've already pledged about 500$, back in 2013 when the proposed game scope was realistic).
  • DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    M.S.R. 
    1) Multi-core CPU (more the better)
    2) 16Gb RAM (32 to 64 is the realistic target)
    3) fiber-optic internet for best possible ping rate
    4) Solid State Drive (in the m.2 or 2.5 size as fast as one can buy)
       A) a ram disk of 12 to 18Gb for strictly the page file.

ANY thing less will not foster a pleasant play experience, and is also in no way shape or form the fault of the developers, because people insist on disregarding.  
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited March 2018
    I'm a Star Citizen skeptic, but I'm way more skeptical of people saying blatantly dumb things in a cocksure manner.

"There's no such thing as bugs, only bad code"

DAFUQ? Here's your award!

JoeBlober
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 585

Wizardry said:

I removed most of the quote as clearly this is much about anti-SC trolling... Saying "ther'e is no bug but bad coding" as well as "anything being finished" demonstrate the total undeducated level of the guy about game development. Star Citizen, the MMO part of SQ42 is in Alpha hence not finished hence containing many bugs. Total non sense arbitrary hate while ignoring basic software and especially game development...

As a backer, this is the best 45$ I eveer spend to get the game we space game lovers want to be build. Not another COD29 or BF16 with new skins in space.

Durzax said:

M.S.R. 
    1) Multi-core CPU (more the better)
    2) 16Gb RAM (32 to 64 is the realistic target)
    3) fiber-optic internet for best possible ping rate
    4) Solid State Drive (in the m.2 or 2.5 size as fast as one can buy)
       A) a ram disk of 12 to 18Gb for strictly the page file.

ANY thing less will not foster a pleasant play experience, and is also in no way shape or form the fault of the developers, because people insist on disregarding.  

I do play/Test Star Citizen PU with a 4 cores I5, GTX780 and 16Mo. Got 20fps while others do have 30. The game is not yet optimized and 2018 will be the year on which CIG focus on fps improvment. This aprt is always the last aprt improved before a game release.
    Players are just not used to participate so early in a game development. What industry call Beta is a finished game teased 3 months before Gold release to get pre-purchase $. Alpha is an almost pre-beta (6 months ahead of release), not true Alpha, years before Gold.

Denambren said:

DrDream said:

The current state of SC feels far more like a fan-made hack to CryEngine from ambitious college students than the 350+ Employee, near 200 million dollar budget, 4+ year project it is today.

For the sake of reality, the Kickstarter ends in Nov. 2012 with 6 M$ and 12 guys with zero pipelines, no uptodate tools, no heavely tweaked game engine, no studios. That is only late in 2016 that team reach +350 employee and total curretn amount is close to 179 not 200M$.

To compare to Publishers with Billions of revenues per year, thousands of devs, uptodate tolls and game engine and all at day one.
    CIG is doing very well and pushing walls of technologies.

Tiamat64 said:

Those comments about a fleshed out SC are based on a hypothetical imaginary SC that one day was completed with all its promises fulfilled.

What's currently in SC right now is fetching and delivering boxes, a walking/driving simulator in space, some terrible flight combat gameplay, empty moons, bugs (of the programming variety), and... not much else.

... fine... you just discovered the concept of Alpha :)
    Nothing weird indeed but a game in development that backers are building.