Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hands On with Far Cry 5's American Adventure - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457

thunderC said:

I can't get into these far cry games anymore, They all feel like carbon copys of the previous entry. Maybe... Id pick this up on a steam sale a year from now, I think.....

I felt that way too until Primal. That was a nice departure. Hoping this one is the same.

Primal was actually my favorite so far.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37

What I want to know more than anything is how is it that these guys that review games, so are incredibly bad at them? I mean most reviewers I see play a game in their review, are horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible at playing them.

On a side note, why don't any of these ppl who review this game showcase the hand to hand combat, the stealthy side of things instead of guns a blazing style gameplay.

I appreciate your critique on my FPS prowess or lack thereof. You're right - I'm pretty bad at them, but I have fun - that is what's important to me. This is why I typically stay out of the competitive arena for more skill individuals (perhaps, like yourself) to enjoy themselves in.

Might I offer a little insight? I would hate for you to be ignorant.

I am a volunteer - like most of the staff here. It just so happens that I enjoy video games and writing. While it seems like a glorious existence and that we must be paragons of the gaming, none of us claim expert status nor do we have the luxury of specializing on specific genres of games. Events like this provide a limited exposure to the content at hand. In this case, it was 90 minutes of hands on play with only 50 of that being recorded content. Not a lot of time for mastery when you are taking in game systems, noting mechanics, and critiquing the delivery of all of the elements.

As a volunteer, the time to fly out to this event, write and record a script, sift through relevant video clips, and edit it down is all on whatever spare time I have - sometimes that's a lunch break. And I freely offer that to you and I do it gladly - for the love of the medium. You don't have to like what I present to you or how the content is presented. You're entitled to your opinion.

Yes, there is a benefit of writing reviews and attending events like this that can be involved (i.e. travel/meal/event coverage, access to games/hardware), but it is voluntary all the same. My family and my full time job pay the price in the finite resource of my time for me to be away in order to provide content... and I am not alone in that. The management of MMORPG.com tirelessly provides a platform for people who have a love for games and a desire to share that joy with people.

We may not be the best and I don't ask that you to withdraw your opinion, but I would encourage you to consider this information.

You are now no longer ignorant. May you be judged as with the same measure that you use on others.
    You know what, I apologize if my comments came off as being an asshole.  I didn't mean it by any means, I am just surprised of the skill level of some of these "reviewers", hell even some developers skill level surprises me when they're horrible at their own game.  I'm just surprised is all.  Didnt mean any harm by it.
    I really appreciate this and I am sorry for being so defensive. At the end of the day, you and I both love games and that is a unifier. It is awesome to see skilled players in action - some times I wish I were one of those! Thank you again!
    [Deleted User]

Asheram said:

Asheram said:

Why does that guy in the something isn't right video sound like he is out of breathe?

It's because I'm fat.

And I was trying to record 15ish minutes of content in a short period of time on a lunch break.
    I am sorry I didn't mean you I meant the guy in this video someone else linked.

You have no need to apologize, but I do. I'm sorry for being so reactionary! Thank you for the follow up though. 
    Asheram
  • neofitneofit Member UncommonPosts: 20

Nyctelios said:

The only Far Cry I could bare to play was Blood Dragon because it was actually original and fun. Change the ambient, still same ubisoft "map full with icons get up in that tower to reveal it".

I forgot to mention this in the preview comments: towers are gone.

What does that mean? There is now a proper save-anywhere system where you reload to where you saved, or do you reload in some "safe house" as typically happens in consoles?
    neofit said:

Nyctelios said:

The only Far Cry I could bare to play was Blood Dragon because it was actually original and fun. Change the ambient, still same ubisoft "map full with icons get up in that tower to reveal it".

I forgot to mention this in the preview comments: towers are gone.

What does that mean? There is now a proper save-anywhere system where you reload to where you saved, or do you reload in some "safe house" as typically happens in consoles?
    I'm pretty sure that the game autosaves, but I can't say with 100% certainty. My observation was that the game typically saved as you start missions. I could be wrong though. Saving wasn't really highlighted. 

So, towers no longer exist for scouting the map. You gain information about locations by talking with people, reading road signs, etc. 
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Xodic said:

So, Far Cry 5 is Far Cry, for the fifth time.

Thanks.

Nope. At least 7th.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292

DataDay said:

Torval said:

I don't care about your neutral context that you're implying is more insightful. I live here. I have family all over the region. I'm just relating my perspective from experience. There is no neutral perspective. That's a lie told by people trying to sell their own perspective as the right one.

That's a lie told by people trying to sell their own perspective as the right one. ;-)

Yup, the "truth" is whichever version of reality conforms most comfortably to your own bias, lol

And thanks to the wonders of the internet, finding "the real truth" is easier than ever before...

neutral perspective is not taken either side an accepting them both equal even if you don't agree.

ignorance an self belief does not dismiss the fact that you can be indifferent or otherwise to both party's an share a neutral view.

were you both basing you ideals is usually when their a point were someone ( myself included ) want make a example they pick a side with their opinion, so it seem no one can be neutral even if overall they are indifferent to the debate.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Well I'm into it, it's the same old formula as previous games but works for a new story.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Question is Will Far Cry 5, Use Denuvo which impacts player experience, causes use of more computer resources than without, may render the game unplayable in the future, and only hurts legitimate consumers.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Renoaku said:
    Question is Will Far Cry 5, Use Denuvo which impacts player experience, causes use of more computer resources than without, may render the game unplayable in the future, and only hurts legitimate consumers.
    No, you can't cheat or use hacks or crack Far Cry 5 multiplayer

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

What I want to know more than anything is how is it that these guys that review games, so are incredibly bad at them? I mean most reviewers I see play a game in their review, are horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible at playing them.

On a side note, why don't any of these ppl who review this game showcase the hand to hand combat, the stealthy side of things instead of guns a blazing style gameplay.

I appreciate your critique on my FPS prowess or lack thereof. You're right - I'm pretty bad at them, but I have fun - that is what's important to me. This is why I typically stay out of the competitive arena for more skill individuals (perhaps, like yourself) to enjoy themselves in.

Might I offer a little insight? I would hate for you to be ignorant.

I am a volunteer - like most of the staff here. It just so happens that I enjoy video games and writing. While it seems like a glorious existence and that we must be paragons of the gaming, none of us claim expert status nor do we have the luxury of specializing on specific genres of games. Events like this provide a limited exposure to the content at hand. In this case, it was 90 minutes of hands on play with only 50 of that being recorded content. Not a lot of time for mastery when you are taking in game systems, noting mechanics, and critiquing the delivery of all of the elements.

As a volunteer, the time to fly out to this event, write and record a script, sift through relevant video clips, and edit it down is all on whatever spare time I have - sometimes that's a lunch break. And I freely offer that to you and I do it gladly - for the love of the medium. You don't have to like what I present to you or how the content is presented. You're entitled to your opinion.

Yes, there is a benefit of writing reviews and attending events like this that can be involved (i.e. travel/meal/event coverage, access to games/hardware), but it is voluntary all the same. My family and my full time job pay the price in the finite resource of my time for me to be away in order to provide content... and I am not alone in that. The management of MMORPG.com tirelessly provides a platform for people who have a love for games and a desire to share that joy with people.

We may not be the best and I don't ask that you to withdraw your opinion, but I would encourage you to consider this information.

You are now no longer ignorant. May you be judged as with the same measure that you use on others.
    You know what, I apologize if my comments came off as being an asshole.  I didn't mean it by any means, I am just surprised of the skill level of some of these "reviewers", hell even some developers skill level surprises me when they're horrible at their own game.  I'm just surprised is all.  Didnt mean any harm by it.
    I really appreciate this and I am sorry for being so defensive. At the end of the day, you and I both love games and that is a unifier. It is awesome to see skilled players in action - some times I wish I were one of those! Thank you again!
    Exactly, we both love games!  And no worries man.

From your play through, did you encounter any sort of stealth game play or hand to hand combat?  That's more of what I want to know about the game.  Every shooter can run an shoot but games that have stealth offer a unique style of play that's different than just running around shooting. 
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

DataDay said:

Wraithone said:

Richard Ross... Anyone looking into his back ground, and contacts, will understand what is at play here. I can't say I'm surprised, given the times we live in. Other than that it looks like an interesting game.

Care to elaborate?

He's talking about Rick Alan Ross a cult expert and deprogrammer. Ross is Ubisoft's cult consultant for Far Cry 5 and I'm assuming Wraithone is intimating Ross's work against the Branch Davidians in Waco.

Far Cry 5 With Rick Alan Ross, Dan Hay And Jean Sebastien Decent

Far Cry 5 cult adviser reveals how these fanatics thrive: Follow the money

That's an awesome consultant for such a game.

Here's to hoping more video games reach out to such folks to help inform their narrative.

The Waco Massacre is a highly controversial topic because the government basically found excuses to go in and kill 76 ton of people, including 25 children.

This is also isnt meant to put the Davidians in a positive light.

No, the government did NOT kill 76 people. The cultists killed themselves. Yes, I used the word "cultists" because that's what they were, a doomsday cult. It was a cult in every sense of the word and trying to excuse it because it was "christian" is an insult to the law enforcement agents who they murdered. You conveniently left out he fact the Davidians murdered four ATF agents who were conducting a lawful search of their property. Yet you say you aren't trying to put them in a positive light. All the evidence points to the Davidians setting the fire themselves, not the government. The only victims are the people David Koresh, leader of a self-proclaimed "Army of God", killed which included all his followers.

https://thehumanist.com/news/all/rules-schmucks-lesson-waco

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Final_report_to_the_Deputy_Attorney_General_concerning_the_1993_confrontation_at_the_Mt._Carmel_Complex,_Waco_Texas
    [Deleted User]
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    MadFrenchie