Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people are really going to play this game?

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    One clarification is that Caspien said Hundred Of Thousands Of Players (or maybe characters... I’m on my phone and can’t research) on each server.  So that indicates at least 200k “characters” on each server
    If I'm remembering correctly, i believe he said the 100k was the number of characters on a server (npc and players). The reason it's shared between the two, is because players can take over the body of an npc on creation. 
    There is a video of him from a few months ago stating Hundreds of Thousands per server.  Was definitely plural 
    Ahh gotcha. I was going off of information I remembered from the Kickstarter days. Certainly could've changed since then. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    One clarification is that Caspien said Hundred Of Thousands Of Players (or maybe characters... I’m on my phone and can’t research) on each server.  So that indicates at least 200k “characters” on each server
    If I'm remembering correctly, i believe he said the 100k was the number of characters on a server (npc and players). The reason it's shared between the two, is because players can take over the body of an npc on creation. 
    There is a video of him from a few months ago stating Hundreds of Thousands per server.  Was definitely plural 
    Ahh gotcha. I was going off of information I remembered from the Kickstarter days. Certainly could've changed since then. 
    Yeah this was actually an interview that Dleatherus did with him. Pretty sure it was Dec.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    For the same reasons I rejected the kick starter even though loving the idea of the game, is the same reason I am now not planning on playing the game....Investment of money or even time.

When first floated I was going to invest, then after hearing a number of podcasts over a period of time and other interviews I rejected my plans to invest, and even though I like the game in principle I will not be investing time into the game for the same reasons.

The guy is his own worst enemy, he lacks the social and financial common sense and if the game ever launches, he in the classically narcissistic way of his type will destroy any success it will  garner initially, thus I do not believe the game will be stable even if launched.

Bad management even when luck has provided success will always destabilise, and that applies ten fold to an industry with such high risks of failure even among AAA companies....DOW3 looking at you...(yeah I invested in that lucky only time and very small cash, so my reasoning isn't infallible).....

Oh and Mortal online, yeah that went well, still running surprisingly, (Daddy love). Learnt a lot about pledging and kick starters from that.

Thus I predict I waste of any time I invest in it.

Prove me wrong and I will eat my words year after successful release, and buy loads of copies, shame actual disks are not a thing anymore you can never have to many coffee coasters. (Looks at initial useless post out of Mortal online on cd, now on its 3000th coffee ring).

Oh final point about lack of investment and investing in an MMO "IDEA" whatever gets released will be the faintest shadow of what was touted, extremely so, more so than what usually occurs with the MMO genre and its like, Eternal Crusade being a classic example of this.
    BruceYeeUngood

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ungood said:
    No. It's relevant, because, if something were to happen
    ...can you keep track of your own words?

It was you who made an argument that either opc or pc are no difference.

No, it this topic is not worthy of discussion since there is no way to reasonably gauge how large player base is going to be nor how players will behave and be involved...

ie. in EVE there is about 30k players online and 5k of them might show up for a battle. There is no possible way how you could reasonably extrapolate and project the ratio onto other game, it would be just random numbers being thrown around...
  • AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Nyctelios said:
    I would, if it was not a scam.
    This is what blows my mind still.  Like I understand people who think the game isn't coming out, even though I totally disagree,  but when you straight up say this is a scam?

Like you really think that?  You think the devs are just sipping martini's while not actually working on a game? 

Iono, I think you have to be pretty dense to think this is a scam still at this point.
    mystichazeKyleranDleatherus
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

No, it this topic is not worthy of discussion since there is no way to reasonably gauge how large player base is going to be nor how players will behave and be involved...

ie. in EVE there is about 30k players online and 5k of them might show up for a battle. There is no possible way how you could reasonably extrapolate and project the ratio onto other game, it would be just random numbers being thrown around...
    I never said that OPC and PC were the same, and I made it clear that OPC, was something that would happen regardless if the player was logged in or not, so, obviously, they are different. 

However, OPC is similar to Dual Boxing were you control one character and the others run on macros, scripts, or other kinds of system mechanics, IE: Auto follow, Auto Attack, Etc. with in some cases very little to no direct player guidance.

In fact OPC highly resembles old text based MUD dual boxing, where a main would go out and adventure, with an AFK healer bot stationed close by running a healing based macro script in case their main got hurt.

In CoE, since we are running on a Kingdom type setting, using a base metric of 100K Souls per server, and 4 kingdoms per server, we can start to build a basis for what we could expect.

IE: if we use a metric of 2/1 for alts, so, 50K Players per server, which amounts to roughly 12.5K Players per Kingdom, at a 1/8 ratio of activity level, that means, each Kingdom might have 1.5 K players active at any time.

So, even if say, 20% of the population showed up for a "War Effort" that would still only be 300 players total per Kingdom that would be a part of the War.

This gives us an idea of what kind system requirements and game build dynamic we might face, in full scale battles.. 
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

I never said that OPC and PC were the same, and I made it clear that OPC, was something that would happen regardless if the player was logged in or not, so, obviously, they are different. 

However, OPC is similar to Dual Boxing were you control one character and the others run on macros, scripts, or other kinds of system mechanics, IE: Auto follow, Auto Attack, Etc. with in some cases very little to no direct player guidance.

In fact OPC highly resembles old text based MUD dual boxing, where a main would go out and adventure, with an AFK healer bot stationed close by running a healing based macro script in case their main got hurt.

In CoE, since we are running on a Kingdom type setting, using a base metric of 100K Souls per server, and 4 kingdoms per server, we can start to build a basis for what we could expect.

IE: if we use a metric of 2/1 for alts, so, 50K Players per server, which amounts to roughly 12.5K Players per Kingdom, at a 1/8 ratio of activity level, that means, each Kingdom might have 1.5 K players active at any time.

So, even if say, 20% of the population showed up for a "War Effort" that would still only be 300 players total per Kingdom that would be a part of the War.

This gives us an idea of what kind system requirements and game build dynamic we might face, in full scale battles.. 
    I really miss the old forums sometimes. It isn't only MMORPGs which have declined in features over the years.

They had this emoticon of a face slamming into a brick wall, really useful on this site.

;)

JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    Does this sound about right?
    I do not understand the point of the thread but there are couple things off in your calculation.

1) There is no basis for gauging average amount of characters/accounts per player.

2) Concurrent users to active player base is closer to 1:8 rather than 1:10.

3) Not all users with multiple accounts will multibox all, if any, of their accounts.
    A few counter points.

Well the point is to give an idea of how active any server world would be. Since it's set that each server will have a capacity of around 100K characters, the idea was simply to try and figure out how that translates into active players on a server.

OPC, (Offline Player Character) which establishes that every character will be logged in at the same time, regardless if an active player is controlling them, this, if you had 3 characters in game, they would all be active, all the time, 24/7, regardless if you were playing them or not. So, yes, all users will in essence be multi-boxing all their accounts in some manner or another.
    Age of Wushu is the same in regards to a players character staying in game and acting like an npc when the player is offline. Might be something to look into how many alts you can have in AoW and see how it works there for a rough estimate of how it could work or not.
    Ungood
    Asheram said:
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    I do not understand the point of the thread but there are couple things off in your calculation.

1) There is no basis for gauging average amount of characters/accounts per player.

3) Not all users with multiple accounts will multibox all, if any, of their accounts.
    A few counter points.

Well the point is to give an idea of how active any server world would be. Since it's set that each server will have a capacity of around 100K characters, the idea was simply to try and figure out how that translates into active players on a server.

OPC, (Offline Player Character) which establishes that every character will be logged in at the same time, regardless if an active player is controlling them, this, if you had 3 characters in game, they would all be active, all the time, 24/7, regardless if you were playing them or not. So, yes, all users will in essence be multi-boxing all their accounts in some manner or another.
    Age of Wushu is the same in regards to a players character staying in game and acting like an npc when the player is offline. Might be something to look into how many alts you can have in AoW and see how it works there for a rough estimate of how it could work or not.
    Thats the one game I know of, though I think they don't really do anything other than open the possibility of being kidnapped. 

@bcbully could tell us, let's see if we can summon him.
    Asheram

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ungood said:
    I never said that OPC and PC were the same 
    Ok, you can't keep track of your own words then.

Pulling numbers out of your nose doesn't give you an idea about anything...
    Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    I'm willing to cut him a break, if he can get 100K of any type of player on a server I'll be happy.
    Probably not as happy as Caspien will be, I'd bet.  B)

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:
    I never said that OPC and PC were the same 
    Ok, you can't keep track of your own words then.

Pulling numbers out of your nose doesn't give you an idea about anything...
    Ok.. fair enough of a challenge.

Show me where I said OPC was the same as a PC?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

I really miss the old forums sometimes. It isn't only MMORPGs which have declined in features over the years.

They had this emoticon of a face slamming into a brick wall, really useful on this site.

;)

Oh... you mean like this one? 

expecting others to do all the work for you.  

Ungood said: by
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

;)

I don't how to do that,  at least not on my  phone.

kruler said:
    For the same reasons I rejected the kick starter even though loving the idea of the game, is the same reason I am now not planning on playing the game....Investment of money or even time.

When first floated I was going to invest, then after hearing a number of podcasts over a period of time and other interviews I rejected my plans to invest, and even though I like the game in principle I will not be investing time into the game for the same reasons.

The guy is his own worst enemy, he lacks the social and financial common sense and if the game ever launches, he in the classically narcissistic way of his type will destroy any success it will  garner initially, thus I do not believe the game will be stable even if launched.

Bad management even when luck has provided success will always destabilise, and that applies ten fold to an industry with such high risks of failure even among AAA companies....DOW3 looking at you...(yeah I invested in that lucky only time and very small cash, so my reasoning isn't infallible).....

Oh and Mortal online, yeah that went well, still running surprisingly, (Daddy love). Learnt a lot about pledging and kick starters from that.

Thus I predict I waste of any time I invest in it.

Prove me wrong and I will eat my words year after successful release, and buy loads of copies, shame actual disks are not a thing anymore you can never have to many coffee coasters. (Looks at initial useless post out of Mortal online on cd, now on its 3000th coffee ring).

Oh final point about lack of investment and investing in an MMO "IDEA" whatever gets released will be the faintest shadow of what was touted, extremely so, more so than what usually occurs with the MMO genre and its like, Eternal Crusade being a classic example of this.
    I have to agree with you about Eternal Crusade, While it is not really a bad MOBA game In fact as far as basic MOBA's go, it's quote fun and engaging, but, it's nowhere near what was hyped or said it was going to be like, in that venture, it was a massive let down.

It's a crying shame too, because, I really like WH40K, and really wish they would make an MMO based on that lore and game platy.

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said: by
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

;)

I don't how to do that,  at least not on my  phone.
    oh.. Umm I don't "forums" on my phone.. soo.. sorry.. no idea.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:
    Ungood said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ungood said:

A few counter points.

Thats the one game I know of, though I think they don't really do anything other than open the possibility of being kidnapped. 

@bcbully could tell us, let's see if we can summon him.
    AoW was one player per account. F2P though so you could make as many accounts as you wanted.

Off line mode was nowhere near multi boxing. You had no control of the character at all. They turned into true NPCs and they were considered off line.

You would find them “working” in the town or area you logged off in doing stuff like sweeping, dancing, playing music ect. They would make a bit of money during this time. Like @Kyleran said they could be kidnapped and robbed by online players.
    Post edited by bcbully on
    KyleranYashaX
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Personally I think playing this game at release will probably be the only option.

When people's characters start to die for good, it's at that point right there they are faced with the choice of spending money to buy their next.   Right when the game pissed them off the most and "took away" their character that they invested in, they need to decide to spend again.  They're seriously putting themselves in a position where their most stable and loyal players MUST make the decision to completely reinvest/choose/spend, rather than just letting a computer automatically withdraw the sub fee.

For comparison how popular would EVE be if you couldn't come back to your character?   Would anyone come back to wow at expansions if all of their characters died of old age and fishing after they unsubbed?  Would you stay subbed to a game if you frequently needed decide to resub after the game burns you terribly?

(personally I'm looking forward to it if their offline character/NPC programming is any good I totally plan on using it well, being a Screeps player, and buying up sparks/similar with ingame currency)
    Mendel

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    im gonna play it
    mystichaze

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    anemo said:
    Personally I think playing this game at release will probably be the only option.

When people's characters start to die for good, it's at that point right there they are faced with the choice of spending money to buy their next.   Right when the game pissed them off the most and "took away" their character that they invested in, they need to decide to spend again.  They're seriously putting themselves in a position where their most stable and loyal players MUST make the decision to completely reinvest/choose/spend, rather than just letting a computer automatically withdraw the sub fee.

For comparison how popular would EVE be if you couldn't come back to your character?   Would anyone come back to wow at expansions if all of their characters died of old age and fishing after they unsubbed?  Would you stay subbed to a game if you frequently needed decide to resub after the game burns you terribly?

(personally I'm looking forward to it if their offline character/NPC programming is any good I totally plan on using it well, being a Screeps player, and buying up sparks/similar with ingame currency)
    If you walk into the game knowing that this is the situation.. what's the problem?

That is like walking into a game with a sub fee and getting upset that you need to keep paying the sub to keep playing the game.

It's not like they don't make things clear that your character will grow old and die, in fact that is a major point of the game.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Its been about 2.5 years since the first talks about this game started and while developers have talked a lot about what they want to be in the game they barely done anything to actually develop it.

If CoE fails its not about gamers not showing up for the finished product, its that the finished product simply isn't good enough to bother checking it out.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    If it's an Eastern MMORPG, I'm likely to pass (i.e. not give it any consideration).

I don't like being treated like a second-class citizen, which is customary with Eastern game companies.

When that trend ceases, then I'll start given them a look again.
    Ungood said:
    anemo said:

If you walk into the game knowing that this is the situation.. what's the problem?

That is like walking into a game with a sub fee and getting upset that you need to keep paying the sub to keep playing the game.

It's not like they don't make things clear that your character will grow old and die, in fact that is a major point of the game.

Not in favor of characters growing old and die.  IMO, this is nothing more than a bad attempt to mimic the Seasons/Leagues aspect of ARPG games, and artificially inflate replay value by planned obsolescence.

I think FFXIV tackles this in a better way - allow characters to level alternate classes on the same toon.  Lineage II's sub/dual class system also tackled this, as did the "Betrayal" mechanic in EQ2 and WoW's different class specializations.

Plus, I find it quite disrespectful to my time investment for the result of it to disintegrate automatically.

Pretty much doesn't exist to me, if that's actually a real thing (not sure if joking, or not... it sounds that awful).

Isn't that why a lot of people here are NOT in favor of things like... gear resets?
    Kyleran
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    IMO, MMORPG developers are so desperate to seem innovative, that they are looking for places to innovate in the wrong places...

Again, IMO.  Being radical can often be good, but it can often be completely off putting to players, and unless you are sure you're going to being players into the genre with these features (the way some Action Combat, PvP-oriented games bought FPS players into the genre), you relaly have to weigh the pros with the cons and decide if it's even worth it.

Being different isn't always being better.  A lot of games people called WoW clones would have been a lot more successful had they not tried some esoteric and ultimately "not very successful ways" to innovate.

You still need things like good writers and quest designers.  Games are being pumped out touting innovative features, even though the core gameplay and content is as fun as nails on a chalk board, and then it's fans are acting like people should be content with mediocrity simply because the game "seems" forward thinking in a few ways that many people simply don't care about.
    Ungood said:
    anemo said:

What isn't clear is how will progression transfer to future characters.

There has been talk that even Caspian has been backing off some on this mechanic.

As far as I'm concerned progression is a core pillar of a game such as this so devs better have a way for players to retain it.
    Phry

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I haven't followed development. I've learned that MMOs take a very, very long time to develop - and they're often cancelled or delayed endlessly.

So, I have absolutely no idea what's happening with this game. All I know is that the initial pitch and concept sounded great to me - and if it's ever released and resembles that sort of thing, then I'll most likely give it a proper shot.
    KyleranmystichazePhryAshyLarry24