Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prime Server Launches - Time to Go Back to the Future - Rift - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePrime Server Launches - Time to Go Back to the Future - Rift - MMORPG.com

Rift News - Is the future of Rift one that takes its players to the past? With today's launch of Rift Prime, the new limited time subscription-only version of the game as it was at launch, we'll know soon enough. Prime is a fresh-start server with a subscription-only revenue model that will progress at an accelerated pace and will offer "players an alternative way to experience the game". In addition, the in-game shop has been greatly reduced to cosmetic goods and services only.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I'm interested in hearing from folks who are participating in this. Is it fun? Was it crowded? Did it scratch that itch? Was it rose colored glasses or is it really more fun? Please post your observations =)
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well, I hope it works out for those who were interested in this. I'll spare my opinion on the whole thing.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'll be fascinated to see how it manages longitudinally over the course of the year they're planning. I'd love to see it stay popular.
    wingood[Deleted User]Scot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• typolmaotypolmao Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Honestly I don't trust Trion enough to pay for a subscription based model right now, always pumping their games with toxic greed killing the population, somehow ALWAYS fucking up anything they try to revive them. I'm surprised it seems so populated thinking many more people would have felt the same way. Hopefully if all goes well they will make this permanent and also appy it to some of their other games but for now I guess I'll just wait and see how everything plays out.
    Alomar
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    $30.00? Nope.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Chaserz said:

$30.00? Nope.

You realize the $30 is a pack right? It's $15 a month for Prime status (i.e. scroll down further).
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • virgommovirgommo Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Saw the announcement for their shooter sequel, and this..was interested for probably all of 5 seconds..until i remembered how little i trust Trion not to eventually screw it up. Much as I'd like to revisit some nostalgia, I'm not going to pass GO, because instead of me getting $200, Trion will find a way to take it LOL.
    BruceYee
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited March 2018
    I would have liked to go back for the nostalgia and to try out the expansion souls but 40$ for the souls and 15$ for member status is just too expensive for nostalgia. :p
    MrMelGibsonAlomar
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Ah. A throwback from the time when I'd pre-order every MMORPG that released to be part of the early access. First Warhammer Online, then This.

Didn't even play it for the entire first month (the free month with purchase of the game).

Can't imagine it would "wow" me any more today.

I do remember that anytime anything touched you, it interrupted your spell or dismounted you. It was aggressively annoying to play, from my perspective, even though I loved their ideas behind the class system.

With better developers, and a product manager with a clue, it likely could have been a WoW killer. Instead, it turned out to be a second-rate pretended. Sad stories from those times.
    Alomar
  • lucignanolucignano Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Play a Trion game in 2018... pfff.... what a joke!!!
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    No idea what I am doing but I will try to make a mage healer :grimace:

onelesslightYashaX

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    It's very busy, obviously with everyone in the starter areas. I'm getting a lot of crashes like others but the server hasn't crashed.

It is great to see an almost empty cash shop and everyone playing the game to get rewards.
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Haha Trion is cancer, have fun getting your hands slapped
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Ok Ok that's fine and all but WTF "Limited in-game & web stores (cosmetic & service items ONLY)" You are charging 15$ a month and YOU STILL HAVE A INGAME SHOP? that's just greed and stupidity from their part , want a monthly sub ? then add that cosmetic shit to THE GAME , make players spend time earning it! they still fail to understand how cancerous that shop is to some people...not going to touch this but gl hf to whoever does!
    Playing a bit with sweetfx, not that bad!

YashaX

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    It's still the same bland and boring game, I take it? I don't really see the F2P aspects as the primary problems of the game.
  • darren28darren28 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    What mmorpg isn't bland and boring right now?
    My free 7 day sub referral with other goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/vGSnnl
    Amazon has a much better deal for Sub price just search for this on Amazon
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Premium Pack

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Dragnelus said:

That is fantastic looking damn you're tempting me. I shall resist
    DragnelusYashaX
    Chamber of Chains
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    darren28 said:
    What mmorpg isn't bland and boring right now?
    Are you asking me what you don't find bland and boring? How would I be able to answer that :)

Also, there's a difference between having exhausted a game and then a game that's simply not very fun and never was.

But, to each his own. I like some things about Rift - but never felt it was a good game. It was way, way too derivative of WoW - and clearly an attempt to emulate that kind of success.

I much prefer games with their own approach and strong vision. Copycats never really work for me.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Is the melee mage (Harbinger I think) soul available? It's the only class I really liked in this game. If it's available right now, I might consider checking it out.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited March 2018
    Well, I guess that's only for level 1? I think you can buy other souls at higher level with planatire.

MrMelGibson

cheyane said:
    Dragnelus said:

That is fantastic looking damn you're tempting me. I shall resist
    Logged in a week ago after a few years and had 3 days of patron cause I logged in. Maybe you get the same if you login live? So you can try prime? xD

cura said:
    Assuming server is in the US. Anybody playing from EU? How's lag? I'm a bit tempted to try it again.
    Doable for me, got 123 ms. 
    [Deleted User]

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Good luck. Didn't really care for it when it first came out, but it sounds like a blast getting a subscription server. I hope this works out to show the viability of subscription servers.

I self identify as a monkey.