Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - The Pressing Issues in ESO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online - The Pressing Issues in ESO - MMORPG.com

No game is perfect, it’s the sad reality. We typically look beyond the problems and see the good in the game we play. No one likes to focus on the negative aspects. Today, I plan to do just that and see what ZoS could do fix some of my most pressing issues in Elder Scrolls Online. The problems I am going to talk about are discussed daily between the multiple guilds I belong to and immediate friends.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    The switching between the two bars is "laggy" for me. I'm not sure if that's them or me.

I've never liked the combat in Elder Scrolls Online as most characters I've created just didn't do well. With their recent class advisor I have to admit that my build is a bit better but it seems so involved. I would much rather have it be more like "combat" mount and blade style/Skyrim/Oblivion style but that's just me and I think most players want skills, Skills!, SKILLS!!!

I'm fine with the way the auction house is because I just don't believe in auction houses. I prefer player run stores and moving from one to another. Makes the cities feel more like cities with their shops and stalls.

This system is "sort of" close to that in that if one npc doesn't have what you are looking for you can move to another.

I don't really use the crown store as I haven't found much I want. Their outfits are well done but none are to my taste.

Deadrites87
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    My issue with ESO is the limited skills per bar. The fact that there isn't any cool downs, so in general there isn't a whole lot of reasons to use anymore then a few skills on each bar.

I think this is because they designed the system for a console/controller in mind. I miss the days of WOW and EQ where I had a ton of different skills/spells.
    Octagon7711MalindaTheStrangeRexKushmandarkhalf357xbcbullyElvocWraithonedaltaniouselyasafko
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Action combat. If it played with alt tabbing WASD like WoW/RIFT/SWToR etc... I'd be there in a second.
    daltanious
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    druez said:
    My issue with ESO is the limited skills per bar. The fact that there isn't any cool downs, so in general there isn't a whole lot of reasons to use anymore then a few skills on each bar.

I think this is because they designed the system for a console/controller in mind. I miss the days of WOW and EQ where I had a ton of different skills/spells.
    In the right game, limited skill bars are a good thing. They force the player to think and lend themselves to deep buildcrafting.

Problem is, ESO isn't even close to being the right game to have limited skill bars. There aren't enough skills, niche skill designs, or complex mechanics to make it a buildcrafting game. 
    MalindaTheStrangebcbullyYashaXsasa777
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I have two problems with ESO :

- Lack of auction house. The system in place could be called imersive, but it is far from practical and compared to an auction house it feels like I am wasting my time trying to buy something. For this reason I completely ignored trading in ESO. Which is a first for me in a MMORPG.

- I find combat boring after a while. I am not sure what the issue is exactly. GW2 has a similar limited setup, weapon based skills and action combat. But for some reason I don't get bored with GW2 combat and skills.
    Maybe it would be better if they let you change builds for free and in an easy way like in GW2, so you can experiment more. Because that is definitely one of the things I like in GW2. I also think it makes sense for a class system with limited skills setup.

But still ESO is a great game, thanks to One Tamriel update.
    Octagon7711Apridiseanthonyw.grayinfomatzMrMelGibsonYashaXAnthony_Arndt
  • khorvikkhorvik Member UncommonPosts: 12
    An AH would be lovely. TTC helps, but it's clunky and questionable that you have to rely on a 3rd party mod/site for basic game functionality.

The class system feels out of place, but the skill-based progression itself is terrific. I wish more games had this. Class skill lines would be better if they were like every other skill line--where you could mix & match, and to encourage specific use of current class-based groupings, you add morphs and passives that link to other skill lines in the current class-based organization.

Weapon skills: 1h & shield and 2h should become dependent on health (or at least contain morphs for it). That would leave DW & Bow for stam only, and the 4 staves for mag only. Add 1h option (without anything in 2nd hand) pegged to mag and stam (with some unique bonus that starts out competitive w/ mag or stam-only weapons and lessens as one pool gets significantly larger or smaller than the other) to allow for some good ol' swordmage playstyle. And by competitive, I'm being intentionally vague--maybe 75% is competitive, maybe 80%, maybe 50%? That's what playtesting's for.

Equipment: 2h weapons and staves should be allowed double enchantments and count as 2 items for set bonuses (as long as at least one other set item is equipped) in order to bring the fewer item slots into line with DW or S&B.

I could go on, but after playing the game for several years, those are my 4 biggest complaints w/ the current system.
    YashaXAnthony_Arndt
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    I'm not a fan of the weapon switch/bar switch. This never works for me and the times I've relied on it, I've ended up dead, whether its operator malfunction or lag, it simply is an undesirable feature. That leaves a lot of good skills unused or only occasionally used. I think this causes the game to feel like you have less options than in other games.

I don't use player run markets, as I have my own crafters, and the times I have used them, I find them pretty useless. Among other things, they concentrate on high level items, so that low level alts or new players don't have any place to buy things. I'm guessing this is because the guilds that have city markets require large sales per week to be a member, so low-level items are simply not a priority. This concentrates the game on level cap players, even though as best I can tell there is a very large unserved alt/new player market.

I have to say I don't find the combat in ESO exciting. I don't really know what it is. I don't have a prejudice about tab targeting vs. action. If a game has tab targeting, fine. If it's action combat, fine. I prefer melee tanks and rangers, two specs that don't get a lot of love form ESO.
    KalebGraysonSovrathinfomatzOzmodanHluill
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
     I would like for some weapons to do physical and magical instead of just one or the other.

Me too. And the fix could be very easy: just have all weapons and all weapon skills base their damage off either stamina + weapon power or magicka + spell power, whichever is higher and have their heavy attacks regenerate also whichever of your two pools is higher.

They already have many skills in the game that regenerate whichever of the two is higher. They just need to expand that concept to work with weapons as well.

This would also help ESO feel more like the single player ES games where you can truly use any weapon at full effectiveness instead of having a limited choice of half of them depending on stamina vs. magicka builds.

And yeah... an AH. We've learned to live without one but it's not ideal. 
    Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd go with a more traditional auction house, a skills bar that isn't so limited, and more inventory space. I actually like animation cancelling. I like that alpha gear app that allows me to change weapons and gear with one click, would be nice if the game had it and it could be used to create skill and CP templates as well.
    [Deleted User]Anthony_Arndtsasa777

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I wouldn't mind seeing a global AH...

And the DLC dungeons while great aren't in line with the base game dungeons. There are several that I skip completely because they aren't worth my time. Now while I look forward to new content I know I won't be doing the dungeons all that often or ever in some cases. And that sucks.
    IselinApridiseYashaXAnthony_Arndt
    SlyLoK said:
    I wouldn't mind seeing a global AH...

And the DLC dungeons while great aren't in line with the base game dungeons. There are several that I skip completely because they aren't worth my time. Now while I look forward to new content I know I won't be doing the dungeons all that often or ever in some cases. And that sucks.
    There is a severe difficulty disconnect between the DLC dungeons and all the base game ones. The DLC ones shouldn't really be part of the random dungeon PUG pool.

Even if you're perfectly able to do them, when they pop as a random you typically have to go through the hassle of replacing the many people that quit as soon as they realize that the luck of the draw placed them in Bloodroot or ROM dungeon. And then there's all the additional drama in them when one or two of the ones who stick it out just figure out that what worked for them in Banished Cells just won't cut it here... more quits or kicks and more waits to replace.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109
    edited March 2018
    I would get rid of the only reason I don't play the game, animation cancelling. Also, yes, I know how to do it, before someone comes in here and says something along the lines of "git gud".
    IselinAeanderGobstopper3DinfomatzalivenYashaXMardukk
  • ApridiseApridise Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I'm not a very social person and have no desire to be, but I wish it was easier to get into raids like in FFXIV, they have two different tools for getting into a raid, having to shout to find a group is just so broken. I have so little time with work, school, kids that dungeons and questing is all I end up doing, so like the trading system which makes it damn near impossible to sell things and almost as hard to find what you want, it's just one more thing that I've come to ignore.
    alivenAnthony_ArndtHluillAyin
    Ashanor said:
    I would get rid of the only reason I don't play the game, animation cancelling. Also, yes, I know how to do it, before someone comes in here and says something along the lines of "git gud".
    Yup. I know how and do it but I rather not as well. ESO sometimes makes me appreciate the old fashioned simplicity of MMOs that used the weapon auto-attack system.
    SlyLoKinfomatzaliven

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2018
    Also those loading screens should be a lot shorter.
    [Deleted User]CazrielAshikurodaltaniousAnthony_Arndt

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

druez said:

Having 30+ skills/spells on your hot bars isnt going to automatically make the combat good.

The combat isnt fluid, intuitive or engaging so matter how many skills you have your hot bars it would still be bad.

The other things on the list like a universal auction house would be great but the biggest problem is the combat. Playing the game feels like a chore because of how boring the combat is.
  • Anthony_ArndtAnthony_Arndt Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited March 2018
    My wife and I have been playing ESO since early in the beta and Day 1 of Early Access on the NA servers. But we don't have a lot of time to play (a baby* and an international move have reduced playtime) . It's our favourite fantasy MMO. But we agree that it's not perfect. Personally, I have a few things that bug me.

The Auction House "System"

Just like others have said, the lack of an AH bugs the hell out of me. Compared to the other MMOs we have played, ESO is ridiculous for gold sinks. We bought two copies of the Imperial Edition just because of how absurdly over-priced the starter horses were at the launch. Still, between bags and vault space... ESO is stupidly expensive. And the only way to really make the gold you need is to be in trade guilds. At launch, I was in three social guilds and a few trade guilds. By the end of the second year, I had dropped out of all but one of my social guilds to replace them with trade guilds. I don't even bother with social guilds since I need to be in as many trade guilds as possible to grind out the gold to unlock everything in the game. Some day, I might cut down to a few trade guilds and go back to joining social guilds... but that's going to be a while. (Especially since I've started over on the EU servers recently.) Like, once I have all my vault upgrades and all of my characters' bags and mounts upgraded, and enough gold in savings to unlock at least my son's bags and vaults and a few million extra for Outfit changes.

The Crown Store Pricing

The other thing that is ridiculously overpriced in ESO is literally everything in the Crown Store. I started on the NA servers in the Beta (even though I was living in Russia) since most of my gaming friends were in the US and Canada. My wife, son, and I moved to Germany a few years ago, so when my son started showing an interest in ESO (he still prefers SWTOR) I started some characters on the EU servers. And that's when I discovered that "account-wide unlocks" are only *actually* account-wide if you buy them through the store on the website. If you buy crowns through the store then buy them in-game (which mostly costs the same price...) it only unlocks them *for that server*. So if you play on the NA and EU servers, the Crown cost is actually *double* what it says in the store. I don't actually object to anything that is in the Crown Store, but I'd only buy most of it if it was 30-50% of the current cost.

So we will sometimes buy cosmetic fluff through the store, but only with ESO Plus crowns (though I did once buy a bunch of crowns for my account during a 50% off sale)... I will never buy anything like an unlock through the store. DLCs and expansions I only buy with cash now.

The Outfit System Pricing

The Outfit System is a great system. Possibly my favourite outfit *system* from any game I've played... but charging $13 per slot per character for something that most games let you unlock with in-game gold, less than a cup of coffee's cost in real world money, or more often your choice of either... there is no way I'll pay as much for ONE SLOT as it costs for a whole other character and MORE than some of the DLC expansions. In most games I have *at least* four slots unlocked, and it's usually closer to 7-10, and that's per character. In ESO, I have the one freebie per character... and that's it...

It's still a great game, and overall I'm happy with it... but the nonsense with the lack of a central AH, the Crown Store gouging, and the Outfit disaster have really had me gritting my teeth...

*Our son is just over 3-and-a-half, and he already has his own account for when he's older...

(And 1 post? ...I've been on MMORPG.com since 2008... I am pretty sure I have posted more than that...)
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    "No one likes to focus on the negative aspect"

Either this is an attempt at humor or the writer has never been on these forums.
    [Deleted User]YashaXAnthony_Arndt

The Outfit System Pricing

The Outfit System is a great system. Possibly my favourite outfit *system* from any game I've played... but charging $13 per slot per character for something that most games let you unlock with in-game gold, less than a cup of coffee's cost in real world money, or more often your choice of either... there is no way I'll pay as much for ONE SLOT as it costs for a whole other character and MORE than some of the DLC expansions. In most games I have *at least* four slots unlocked, and it's usually closer to 7-10, and that's per character. In ESO, I have the one freebie per character... and that's it...

Can't agree more.  I'm pretty in to fluff and like my characters to look particular and don't mind ponying up to have it so, but no, just no, on that Outfit System.  $13 per slot per character?  As soon as I saw that I lost all interest in it. 
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]Anthony_Arndt
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Many more weapons.
    Appease the masses and make global AH
    Make the once a day/per character loot box reward from million player event permanent and add contents to it like stuff that has been removed from the game over the years.
    Anthony_Arndt
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Xiaoki said:

druez said:

Having 30+ skills/spells on your hot bars isnt going to automatically make the combat good.

The combat isnt fluid, intuitive or engaging so matter how many skills you have your hot bars it would still be bad.

The other things on the list like a universal auction house would be great but the biggest problem is the combat. Playing the game feels like a chore because of how boring the combat is.

No MMORPG has a design that demands anyone to use 30 skills in combat, or anywhere. I think we should not veer into exaggerations to attempt to prove a point.

People put a lot of items on their bars because it's convenience and faster than going to their skill/spell book for utility and world interaction skills. For example, a lot of FFXIV players have a bar where they put shortcuts to swap between the classes they play. There may be 5 classes, you gonna count those, too? The emotes they put on their bar?

In WoW I had all of my damage skills in "Focus Macros" on my bars because I use a Tartarus and Naga to play the game. I'd bind my Potions/Clickies, etc. to the Naga and have shifts on my Tartarus so that I can Depress the thumb pad to cast on a Focus Target - amazingly efficient when multi-dotting on a Spriest or Warlock, for example.

The combat in ESO was likely designed with Consoles in mind. Because consoles are limited in terms of buttons on the only input mechanism that can be assumed to be there (controller), they had to do something to get around it.

Personally, I think GW2 did this better. Classes mean more in GW2, and while I dislike weapons defining skill availability, GW2 does have just as many slots devoted to class skills, and weapon skills are not the same across classes.

ESO also has a bad class system. I actually think they should have gone with more distinct classes. Right now, class does't mean much in the game, because so much is completely dictated by your weapon and armor. I also think racials play too big of a role. You may prefer a race, but it may be out of the question simply because another race's passives are simply too good to pass up for the type of character you want to play.

I don't think it's that great of an MMO. It's a good multiplayer RPG (what they're calling it now), but I could never play it as an MMO because its too lacking in variety - ironically - and it doesn't allow me to build a character that even approximates what I prefer to play in a game despite the open build system... This is a problem that I don't have with most games with set classes, because the developers of those games actually make sure to accommodate for most of the most obvious play preferences (again, ironic).

And a huge pet peeve of mine when running dungeons in this game (using the drop finder)... People make the content take 3x as long to complete, because they're busy running around searching every crate, bag, chest, whoever in EVERY ROOM. Extremely annoying, and time sucking.
    YashaXAnthony_ArndtHluill
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well about to get my pizza so in a hurry,i read some of the post.
    1 Broken record FFXI sub class is the way to go for several reasons and NOT just about classes but for reasons pertaining to the entire game.
    2 broken record again,pvp should never influence a rpg because it ruins everything pve can do because yes pvp needs to be balanced and NEVER will be in a rpg.
    3 Auction:Most certainly should be in every game,as well the game should have a really good economy to allow it to flourish.I noticed FFXIV when launched tried to remove it as well and aim for retainers,so i can only assume devs figure it to be an added cost they don't want to deal with,which is lame,you can't have your cake and eat it too.Yet again FFXI also allowed players to sell wares,a sort of auction house on individuals.You would look over the players wares and if an item had a price tag,you auto buy it and sometimes players would label an item for $1 bazxillion,meaning they would listen to offers.

What i don't like and yes i am being hypocritical here,is these AH's that have bidding and you have to wait for the final price to go down.I am not a mind reader but i would assume that MOST people go looking they want it NOW and don't want to wait 1-2-3 days.

Correct on one aspect,no game is perfect but since i played FFXI i feel all the games are getting worse aside from graphics.I mean that was 2002 when it released,i figured 16years later i would see improvements on those systems but i see MUCH lazier designs,so good luck expecting Zeni/Bethesda to start improving their game.If anything i bet most devs are looking for ways to make more money with little effort,hence all the recent influx of games rehashing themselves.

BruceYeeYashaXAnthony_ArndtHluillAyin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Darksworm said:

The combat in ESO was likely designed with Consoles in mind. Because consoles are limited in terms of buttons on the only input mechanism that can be assumed to be there (controller), they had to do something to get around it.

Yes, it undoubtedly was.  All of ESO was.  It's not a windowed game, you can't have two things up at the same time unless it's programed to pop up at the same time.  You can't access your crafting skills unless you're at a crafting station, you can't even check what recipes you have or what you've researched.  You can't move the camera around when you are moving, which means no cool screenshots galloping on your mount unless you're into tail shots and the backs of heads. 

The console-based limitations are extensive and definitely hurt the game, making it feel restrictive, which it is.  It probably effects more aspects of combat than just the skill limitations and the funky weapon switch. 
    YashaXAnthony_Arndt
  • AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited March 2018
    I agree with so many comments here. There really are some flaws that stand out after awhile. All that said though.... this game is AMAZING. It's by far my favorite MMO. The graphics, story, lore, world/zones, character progression, general aesthetic... All fantastic. No other game compares right now... for me. The original game had so many issues, but they've worked so hard to make it better and it shows imo.

It's sad that it does have these issues that could be improved. The good news is most agree on what needs to be improved. That's the first step to improving. They've made a ton of enhancements over the past year and I believe they will keep going.
    YashaXAnthony_Arndt
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    edited March 2018
    my main issue is how forced weapons are for example caster are destruction staff ....fire or electricity , healer restoration , magic tanks can use ice (it has a taunt )

for physical , u have way more options dw , bow , 2h , 1h shield (tanks)

now specs , u have 3 lines , 1 is mostly dmg , other tanking / healing , and suppor/ cc , some are mixed bag that u can convert into dmg cc or even tanking healing.

stamina vs magicka : another issue thats has been in need of fixing.

in the end u have options but the meta game is what its.

and yeah AH and upgraded combat animations need to happen...they look so cheap and lazy.
    [Deleted User]Anthony_Arndt