Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning player Questions

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
After some advice in another thread, i am seriously looking into playing this game again...

But still there is something holding me back
I can't stand the staff animations
So i want to play a character that does not use any of the staves.

So this forces e to play a stamina build.
But i also want to play a healer.
Now i found some Warden Stamina builds that allow reasonable healing..
But playing Warden forces me into purchasing the Morrowind expansion..
Or are there any other classes that offer some stamina healing?

Also it seems that subbing is still the way to go..
For the extended bagspace..

And one more question about the DLC, there are now 10 DLC packs,
are the older DLC packs content still viable?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Virtually all the magic in the game seems to require a staff weapon, its a compromise probably caused by the combat system the game uses tbh, if there is some way around it i haven't found one yet, it might just be that the only solution that will work for you is to buy the Morrowind expansion, which just leaves the real question being, is it worth it that much to you? 
    Its not a terrible game by any means and despite the graphics being a bit dated they aren't really all that bad. ;)
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Phry said:
    Virtually all the magic in the game seems to require a staff weapon, its a compromise probably caused by the combat system the game uses tbh, if there is some way around it i haven't found one yet, it might just be that the only solution that will work for you is to buy the Morrowind expansion, which just leaves the real question being, is it worth it that much to you? 
    Its not a terrible game by any means and despite the graphics being a bit dated they aren't really all that bad. ;)
    Maybe i am wrong, but i guess there are no magicka builds that allow for efficient use of mellee weapons and skills?   While some (very few) class skills can be transfered to work based on Stamina..

so i guess i will depend on thos few skills for a weapon or bow build?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    edited March 2018
    well, you could play a stamsorc, dualwielding axes. That would require some magical skills. Or a magDK with shield and sword. Also a mag class without staves. Or a magblade. No staves required...or a magplar, also no staves required...or a magwarden with dualwield...A bow/bow build isnt very good in pvp, but all of the mentioned classes are considered quite good...

I recommend Alcasthq.com for some good magbuilds without staves
  • jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

I play both a mage melee build and warden melee build.  No issues what so ever and love it.  The warden is much more simplistic since he has skills that can heal him directly.  Never once picked up a staff with these two and I have completed the game once, and now running through it again.

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I play both a mage melee build and warden melee build.  No issues what so ever and love it.  The warden is much more simplistic since he has skills that can heal him directly.  Never once picked up a staff with these two and I have completed the game once, and now running through it again.

Wait,  what,  how does one "complete" a MMORPG?

Never heard of such a thing....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If you want to play a real healer who heals others efficiently, you're locked in to magicka... period.

Self healing is a different story and many stamina builds can heal themselves very well but there really are only a couple of stamina based skills that heal others well enough: the Warden's Soothing spores cone heal and a heal over time you get from the PVP assault line, Vigor.

You might be able to get through an easy dungeon run using just those two heals but only if your team mates don't need a lot of healing in the first place and you yourself are very good at managing your stamina resource.

Wardens additionally have a very cheap healing ultimate that can be used more often than most other ultimates because they also regenerate ultimate resource faster than others.

So... stamina healer is pretty well Warden only and they're not serious healers at that.

There is also the resource regen issue and ability power scaling to consider.

All abilities in ESO scale in effectiveness based on either weapon power + stamina (for this purpose max weapon power is worth roughly 11X max stamina) or Spell power + magicka (11 X spell power + magicka) with just a handful of abilities (mostly tanking shields and a couple of self heals) scaling off your max health.

ESO also determines whether you can use a skill or not based on your resource pool. Skills don't have cool-downs so managing your resource pool becomes a key part of especially intense long fights. There is passive regen and skill cost reduction that comes primarily from the armor you wear and active regen that comes from a few skills but mostly from heavy weapon attacks. You can have the best skills in the world but if you run out of the resource needed to use them all you can do is basic weapon light or heavy attacks until you regenerate enough.

When you're a healer you normally want to play back a bit with all your group mates and mobs in front of you. This means for resource regen purposes you want to use ranged weapons since you actually need to hit something with your attacks for the regen to work. This means staves for magicka regen or the bow for stam regen from range. Anything else forces you to get up close.

If you're really good you might be able to heal effectively while right on top of the boss but that's not the ideal spot for healing others.

Bottom line: you want to heal in ESO? Learn to like staves :) Personally I much prefer to play with staves that do a channeled beam attack. They just feel "right" to me and I'm not fond of the frost or fire staves that have a charge-up / release bolt mechanic. So I use lightning staves and resto staves preferentially because their beam heavy attacks feel better to me.
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Just got an offer incould not refuse

bought the morrowind expansion for €20
    and both the thieves and darkbrotherhood dlc for 500 crownpoints each..
    thats a lot to look forward to.

Started with my new Warden, imperial, with 50% magicka and 50% sta..
    so that i can test out everything while enjoying the world
    just got to Balmora and the town looks so awesome in the light of the moon.

gervaise1

Almost 3 weeks now...

and i am loving it...
    the stories told are of the highest quallity...
    and even tough the quests are not linear, they tell the story of a zone
    espescially for a completionist like me, this way of story telling is great

i first played trough a huge chunck of the Morrowind campaign
    i am now back to Daggerfall...
    i am still holding off the thieves and dark brotherhood stories, wondering toughi f i should start them soon, maybe wait till i finished the main story and the main guild questlines..

i toroughly enjoy the combat tough, even using a staff feels much more immersive then at release
    Annimation cancelling adds skill and makes it uch much more fun..
    the few dungeons i did where a lot of fun to, altough they seem much mcuh more easier then at release

i havent tried any skillbuilds yet
    i am discovering all the skills and how they work as they become available
    changing builds all the time trying to find all the cohesion between the skills and passives

so far my return was a huge succes, except for the fact that i fried my alienware and had to build a new system. On the verge of getting a sub... and then saving the free crowns to buy new DLCs..

i want to say thank you, to all the people that advised me to give the game another chance, it indeed has hugely improved over time.
    Iselin

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Almost 3 weeks now...

and i am loving it...
    the stories told are of the highest quallity...
    and even tough the quests are not linear, they tell the story of a zone
    espescially for a completionist like me, this way of story telling is great

Yeah. Story telling has always been one of the strengths of the game.

The game's original vanilla zones are all part of the main PVE Molag Bal plot line and the alliance war's PVP plot. Each zone also has its own sub-plot more loosely related to the main plots and many towns and villages have their own unique stories to tell sometimes related to the larger plots and sometimes unique.

The Imperial City DLC was the end of that original story and starting with the Orsinium DLC, a new daedric conspiracy plot began to be told. That one continued through Morrowind and the Clockwork City and will carry on through Summerset.

Originally the stories unfolded through the level-gated zones sequentially and are still best experienced that way. The One Tamriel change unlocked all the zones and got rid of their level-gating and made it so you can go to any zone at any level. While a good thing for the game play as a whole, you now have to decide for yourself whether you want to follow the bread crumbs and have the plot unfold as intended or just ignore it and do each zone as it suits you. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED