Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest left in the SotA launch? - Poll

Comments

• BrugasBrugas Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Aragon100 said:
    Brugas said:
    That's Steam numbers. That doesn't represent all of SotA, only a portion.  Most were direct downloads.

Not sure what numbers you're looking for but if you're looking for "thousands" on at the same time, this is not that kind of game.  They have said they'd do more changes after Episode 1 and when they actually market and advertise the game, then possibly.

The statements I posted above can be seen by any actual players.  Not non-players making uninformed posts on threads trying to create negativity towards a game.
    Half was steam downloads.

So i can be positive and double 227 as a 24 hour peak to 454.

You should ask yourself why so few play this game.
    That number really isn't low to me.  454 during early access for the kind of niche game this is? A hybrid Multiplayer/Single player online/Friends only mode as well as a Single Player OFFLINE mode as well.  Seems pretty good and we have no problems communicating between the communities. 

What numbers are you expecting?  This is not a high capacity instance game where you have hundreds or thousands of players in the same location.  This is an Ultima based game.
    LeFantome
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited March 2018
    Brugas said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Brugas said:
    That's Steam numbers. That doesn't represent all of SotA, only a portion.  Most were direct downloads.

Not sure what numbers you're looking for but if you're looking for "thousands" on at the same time, this is not that kind of game.  They have said they'd do more changes after Episode 1 and when they actually market and advertise the game, then possibly.

The statements I posted above can be seen by any actual players.  Not non-players making uninformed posts on threads trying to create negativity towards a game.
    Half was steam downloads.

So i can be positive and double 227 as a 24 hour peak to 454.

You should ask yourself why so few play this game.
    That number really isn't low to me.  454 during early access for the kind of niche game this is? A hybrid Multiplayer/Single player online/Friends only mode as well as a Single Player OFFLINE mode as well.  Seems pretty good and we have no problems communicating between the communities. 

What numbers are you expecting?  This is not a high capacity instance game where you have hundreds or thousands of players in the same location.  This is an Ultima based game.
    It is also the spiritual successor to Ultima Online. Didnt you know that?

That was something Garriott claimed and he managed to trick alot of old UO PvP players to invest with those words.
    Aragon100 said:

It is also the spiritual successor to Ultima Online. Didnt you know that?

That was something Garriott claimed and he managed to trick alot of old UO PvP players to invest with those words.
    It is but that doesn't mean it's the same game platform as before either.  As EA still has rights on UO, this is as close as it gets atm, for this game. There are some other UO Devs making other games of the like if you're interested in those as well, I forget their names.

This is a very different style of game than from most mmos/rpgs.  It may well be larger in the days to come. I've noticed the newer maps tend to be A LOT LARGER than the old maps and have room for more players, puzzles, adv areas, etc.  So maybe it will be.  But anyone who has played should know what this game is like already and all newcomers should know that it's not a WoW clone either nor will it have a huge population at one time like WoW/EVE, etc. At least not in this iteration of it.

That does not make it a bad game though.  It's fun and those interested should give it a try first and see for themselves.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    edited March 2018
    Brugas said:

Darkstarr  said they need 50,000 active players a month to be profitable.
    So.. where the game is heading again? Huge success with your 400 players? 

Plus, have a look at those happy backers! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/comments
    Ice-Queen

Thanks LeFantome

Though I am unsure what you are directing me to.  I see the link takes me to the comments section with the first page being a lot of the same people complaining since October 2017.

Was that the intention? Or was it for the pledges? FAQ?  What did you have in mind with this?
    LeFantome said:
    Brugas said:

Darkstarr  said they need 50,000 active players a month to be profitable.
    So.. where the game is heading again? Huge success with your 400 players? 

Plus, have a look at those happy backers! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/comments
    Thanks for the edit, it helps clarify.

As for the "happy backers", i count only 12 people complaining since October 2017 there on the first page. *shrugs*  Is that number supposed to be high or something, because that seems feasible with any game out there and is actually kind of low.

You are mistaking all the information for something else.  Just because you only have 474 players on at a given time, doesn't mean there are not more players.  We have players from around the world in our guild that come and go all the time, some just for a few minutes some staying around for 12hrs.  Doesn't mean that's the peak numbers or the low point either.

There are lots of players.  They don't all have to be on at once.  Him saying they need 50k active players a month to be profitable and expecting near that online at any given time is unrealistic.

If you followed the conversation it wasn't hard numbers.  Speculation, I mean, at the time of the conversation, what is considered profitiable? Is he talking about the bare minimum or is he talking about a healthy player base to fund whatever they need to or multiple projects, etc.  You got the link through a negative reddit thread.... so...  Seems it's biased to start off with.

Why don't you ask on the official forums and get a real response?

edited March 2018
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/issues-a-few.110794/page-2

If I remember correctly, @DarkStarr said they only needed 50,000 players worldwide to maintain operations
    Ice-Queen

You got the link through a negative reddit thread.... so...  Seems it's biased to start off with.
    Oh! You know where I got this info? Wow.. 
    I took it from a video of Darkstarr... so who's biased? 

Stop trolling will ya.
    Ice-Queen

• Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I voted havent played/wont but I will keep an eye on it as I do a TON of mmos old and new.  I like reading about mmos more than playing them sometimes.  Vicariously live through others without having to dedicate the time/effort :)
    LeFantome said:
    You got the link through a negative reddit thread.... so...  Seems it's biased to start off with.

Stop trolling will ya.
    Lol, sorry but I call it like i see it.  It was a negative thread with the link in it  ;)
    It was this link originally:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar_raw/comments/77dmxc/darkstarr_says_game_needs_50000_active_users_per/

LeFantome
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    It isn't a ringing endorsement of the population size that you actually can "friend" and keep track of everyone you meet. That you need to in order to really notice anyone online says enough.

I've tried the free trial twice now and if I did that both times my friend list would look exactly the same as it did when I initially logged in. 
    Ice-Queen
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    This game is not an mmo.  For some reason it seems a lot of people think this needs an mmo number of concurrent active players to succeed. Steam chart stats actually don't prove any points , I'd suggest not using them. If there was 300 people tops playing this game they simply would not raise $100k+ dollars in one day every month on their telethons. Sorry it just wouldn't happen.  

I will definitely admit it's not a gigabillion people playing concurrently like many "trendy" games, but it by no means is some game on life support with no population. It too have notice a substantial increase in the amount of people playing. I was worried for a while as a kickstarter backer, but the last few releases have been great.  Most of the old combat card excuses that people still like to complain about are gone.  But they will never know because it's cool to bash currently.
    Brugas

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Sephros said:
    This game is not an mmo.  For some reason it seems a lot of people think this needs an mmo number of concurrent active players to succeed. Steam chart stats actually don't prove any points , I'd suggest not using them. If there was 300 people tops playing this game they simply would not raise $100k+ dollars in one day every month on their telethons. Sorry it just wouldn't happen.  

I will definitely admit it's not a gigabillion people playing concurrently like many "trendy" games, but it by no means is some game on life support with no population. It too have notice a substantial increase in the amount of people playing. I was worried for a while as a kickstarter backer, but the last few releases have been great.  Most of the old combat card excuses that people still like to complain about are gone.  But they will never know because it's cool to bash currently.
    One "coalition" in EVE has 36K pilots,  with one of its largest alliances having 9K members.

Forget WOW numbers, doubtful this title is 1/100th the size of EVE in terms of active players,  and EVE is considered a smaller, niche MMORPG.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Aragon100 said:
    Brugas said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Really? So, its ok to troll if youre against the game... but anyone for the game cannot say anything without the backlash.  Didn't see you talking about any of the others.  You must be for team anti-SotA as well.

The game is great and its getting better.  Don't like it, move on.
    You really haven't even played the game if you don't even know about the player base.  It's larger than ever now. Evidence is in the game... try actually playing it and you will see.  The numbers don't lie and prove you wrong.
    Sorry dude, the numbers dont lie.

You are making things up which tell me how desperate you guys really are.

And if you want to attract more players to the game which is your agenda here, why do you keep calling anyone with a negative standpoint towards the game for a troll?

If you want to attract more players you are really doing some bad work.
    Play the game first before making uninformed statements.

1.) If you actually play, you would see the surge in new players.  You can see that by having player lists open of nearby players and those you friend on your friends lists.  So anyone joing SotA now can see that for themselves.  Just "friend" everyone you meet and you can see them in your social tab when they are online and where they are at... also, the "Nearby Players" window.  Have that open as well and you will see. New players and veterans alike.

You don't play so you wouldn't know. You are extremely biased and do your best to embrace anything negative, whether it's true or not. Your posts show this.  Anyone can look and see.

2.) Im not on a recruiting mission here.  I'm here to balance the unfair bashing of the game by trolls hellbent on doing whatever it takes to keep the game in a negative light.  Since my first posts, people can see what the trolls have done.  Trolls don't like to be called trolls.  It hurts their feelings and they need *hugz*.

3.) What exactly am I making up? Please be specific.  Or are facts only for the desperate?

4.) Again, I'm not on a recruiting mission.  It's a good game.  Period. You don't like it, fine. I do. Others might as well.  You've stated your hatred of it.  Move along.  But you won't... because all your here to do is bash the game and anything that pops up positive about it.  It's what trolls do.
    As i said in my last reply - the number dont lie.

http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

Twisting the truth wont make those numbers any higher. Calling all that have a negative biew on the game for trolls wont make those numbers any higher, rather the opposite.

If you want to balance the "unfair" bashing you feel the game is getting i must say you have chosen a very ineffective way doing that.

Making up what you call facts that is so easily revealed wont make your mission any easier.

227 as a 24 hour peak is not what i would call a surge in new players.

Yeah man, but that's 227 whales, which are equal to 22,700 lesser players!  :wink:
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    OP didn't really have a poll option for me.

I have never played it nor will I give it a try at launch, but at post launch plus one year, perhaps.

All depends how well it is doing at the time.

I'm really liking this playing games after a year style myself. Of course there are rare titles here and now that I need to play upon release. But I am finding my games more polished, bug free with more contents and way cheaper this way. 
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I was a crowdfunder and was all hyped about the game but the duped us they did not tell us they were making a game that would be like the old rpg games Richard Garriet just made a game for him and his buddies to play and Richard Garriott is a liar he did suppose space travel with NASA and we know its all fake the earth is covered by a solid dome there is no curvature or gravity no scientific experiment can prove it.
    Anthurkikoodutroa8Ice-QueenSolar_Prophet
    Kyleran said:

I have never played it nor will I give it a try at launch, but at post launch plus one year, perhaps.

I'm really liking this playing games after a year style myself. Of course there are rare titles here and now that I need to play upon release. But I am finding my games more polished, bug free with more contents and way cheaper this way. 
    Besides, the argument made for playing at launch is to join in when the game is active and full of players.

By waiting I find out if a game has long term appeal, if its dead even in the low level player areas after a year it is probably a game I don't want to play.
    ConstantineMerus

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2018
    Brugas said:
    LeFantome said:

Stop trolling will ya.
    Lol, sorry but I call it like i see it.  It was a negative thread with the link in it  ;)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar_raw/comments/77dmxc/darkstarr_says_game_needs_50000_active_users_per/

Really? You'll call it when you see it? 
    Ok.
    https://www.nextgencrowdfunding.com/info/nextgen-crowdfunding-personalized-dashboard-launch-event-1012/

Start at 17:45.

Post edited by LeFantome on

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    But it has not launched has it? It is a soft launch, a beta launch whatever MMOs decided to call this stage in the development of the game. I think doing this sort of thing is unwise because it raises player expectations for something that is not finished.

Just say you are now in beta, that informs without people making a fuss about it and then saying it looks unfinished.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    Denambren said:
    I've tried it about 4 times since its public alpha, and every single time it has been absolutely TERRIBLE. I will try it again on launch just to say I gave Richard Garriot the proper respect he earned from ancient times, but I think this will be the last time I support a Garriot game. Not much hope here that this project has a chance of success.
    I disagree, there is something pure about SoTA, it feels like a real mmo, it feeels traditional , and has a ton of sandbox elements.
    Pure MMO? It is a game of a million loading screens. I never seen a game so instanced. This game is launched for intense and purposes. 
     Amen!
    Kylerancover2xyIce-Queen

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Scot said:
    But it has not launched has it? It is a soft launch, a beta launch whatever MMOs decided to call this stage in the development of the game. I think doing this sort of thing is unwise because it raises player expectations for something that is not finished.

Just say you are now in beta, that informs without people making a fuss about it and then saying it looks unfinished.
    Actually the March 27th release 52 is considered to be the "launched" version, but if you look at the contents its mostly about giving the backers their rewards and to kick off a new round of marketing (aka monetization)

Face it, they need to start generating income, begathons can only carry the game so long.

LeFantome

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    LeFantome said:
    Brugas said:
    LeFantome said:

Stop trolling will ya.

Ok.
    https://www.nextgencrowdfunding.com/info/nextgen-crowdfunding-personalized-dashboard-launch-event-1012/

With 500 active players today i can understand the desperation from players like Brugas.

Many have invested +1000$ into the game and see it go up in smoke is never fun.
    NildenIce-Queen
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Besides, the argument made for playing at launch is to join in when the game is active and full of players.

By waiting I find out if a game has long term appeal, if its dead even in the low level player areas after a year it is probably a game I don't want to play.
    Exactly. Unlike singleplayer games, I see MMORPGs more like an investment. Don't want to hop on a doomed train anyways. Some might argue that I'll be missing out on loads of fun, but there are tons of other games and entertainment to fill the little time I have on Earth.
    KyleranIce-Queen
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Aragon100 said:
    Brugas said:
    LeFantome said:
    Brugas said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Brugas said:
    Game holds zero interest for me. Fuck nostalgia, give me something actually revolutionary for a change.
    Soooo... why exactly are you in it's forum threads if it holds zero interest?
    Ever heard of free speach?

Why should he explain himself to you?
    Another fine example of trolling... congratulations!  You've done it.  I guess you thought that was a "discussion" as well?
    Look who's speaking.
    You keep trolling everyone who don't agree with you. 
    You like the game? Fine.
    They don't like it ? Fine
    No need for you to write tons of threads just to make a point or two.

On a personal side. The game is trash. Streamers don't even want to stream that game. Players base? Almost none.  The game is really empty .  
    Say whatever you want, the numbers don't lie and you can even get the game for $5 lol. 

Really? So, its ok to troll if youre against the game... but anyone for the game cannot say anything without the backlash.  Didn't see you talking about any of the others.  You must be for team anti-SotA as well.

The game is great and its getting better.  Don't like it, move on.
    You really haven't even played the game if you don't even know about the player base.  It's larger than ever now. Evidence is in the game... try actually playing it and you will see.  The numbers don't lie and prove you wrong.
    Sorry dude, the numbers dont lie.

You are making things up which tell me how desperate you guys really are.

And if you want to attract more players to the game which is your agenda here, why do you keep calling anyone with a negative standpoint towards the game for a troll?

If you want to attract more players you are really doing some bad work.

Actually you are right numbers don't lie for steam side, but they don't tell the whole as mentioned they have their own launcher.  I use their launcher over the steam.  I do have one account linked to steam but if I use their launcher I don't get any steam updates or my hours shown.   As well we have the Mac and Linux people which also use Ports client.  Linux is a small player base but there is enough that they are building features just for them.  I can tell you my friends lists always has 100+ people on 99% of the time these days.  and I know for a fact I am not friends with every one playing lol.  
    Brugas
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Aragon100 said:
    LeFantome said:
    Brugas said:
    LeFantome said:

Stop trolling will ya.

Ok.

With 500 active players today i can understand the desperation from players like Brugas.

Many have invested +1000$ into the game and see it go up in smoke is never fun.

216,974 New Britannians which is tracked from the main page.  Now I would say that some have multiple accounts, but not enough to make up this number of accounts.   Given the "500" active steam players at any given time this would point that most use the games launcher which has always been around even before SOTA was added to steam.   

Every month as one poster mentioned they raise 100k from backers through telethons.  I don't think 500 people could support that,  I know my contributes each month are only $5-100.  I will continue to support them in development as they will have the successor to UO that I am sure.  I have access to the Dev channels and see what is coming all the time the game will always be there like UO and will continue to grow.   regardless of how much the very few dislike the ones that like are greater to it would not be successful.

Also If you look at the last few polls for best MMO that were done with SOTA added it had the highest numbers including one that was done on this site.   Just too bad the article was published before they closed the poll as SOTA would have been the main headline. 

The games overall rating regardless of the few that choose to hate is 7.4 on this very site.  That's based on MMORPG account votes.