Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Malmouth to be Required to Play the Forgotten Gods Expansion - Grim Dawn - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Malmouth to be Required to Play the Forgotten Gods Expansion - Grim Dawn - MMORPG.com

Grim Dawn News - Crate Entertainment announced the Forgotten Gods expansion yesterday but a new piece of information has come to light: The Ashes of Malmouth DLC will be required in order to play the upcoming expansion. Forgotten Gods is expected to be released in late 2018.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Isn't that to be expected? AOM has 2 new base classes. Would they make an expansion that completely ignores those so as to cater to people who have not purchased the first one?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    cmacq said:
    Isn't that to be expected? AOM has 2 new base classes. Would they make an expansion that completely ignores those so as to cater to people who have not purchased the first one?
    Of course, but you know people: "I TAKE UMBRAGE THAT I HAVE TO OWN PRIOR DLC TO PLAY THE NEW EXPACK EVEN THOUGH IT BUILDS ON THE DLC!"

I'm sure they'll have a deal that includes the DLC and the expansion.
    halfmysticScottJeslis

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    All these games I played in the past keep adding content (check out Xcom 2's new DLC, if you haven't), and I'm just over like I can't find time for new releases, much less new DLCs for all my older games.
    SBFord

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    Is this game worth getting into for just the story? I've always been interested but single-player dungeon crawlers always seem to be weak in the story department.
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I'm going to need to try this one. I'm having too much fun in PoE Bestiary League currently, along with my WoW Allied Race "grind". Just couldn't pull the trigger on a D3 Season 13 toon though.
    [Deleted User]
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 373

Is this game worth getting into for just the story? I've always been interested but single-player dungeon crawlers always seem to be weak in the story department.

If you like to read then yes .. plenty of story! i bought AOM a while ago and have yet to finish it on ultimate difficulty.
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    edited March 2018
    The story although somewhat convoluted, is definitely entertaining though the real strength of the game is in all the traditional ARPG values. It has a great loot hunt and the build possibilities are huge. There are sets but they are not mandatory and unlike D3 for example, you can actually farm certain areas/bosses for items. Be warned though it is not a simple console romp like some of these games. The difficulty scales up as you play and the endgame takes time and knowledge to make an effective build. Fortunately this is all supported by one of the best online communities IMHO. Oh and there is a thriving mod community which is fully supported by the devs. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       Absolulutely Yes ... Great Story and great Lore , very immersive game ..
    [Deleted User]
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I am in my early 40s so I still think of expansions and DLC as separate things and not one and the same. Prior to DLC there were expansions and if there were more than one you needed all prior to get the later. Or that is how I remember it for the games I got expansions for. This was true for mmorpgs too, like in WoW you couldn't get WotlK before BC. The first mmorpg I remember having optional DLC was EQ2, the first game was Oblivion with the horse-armor hubbub. In my head I consider DLC unneeded add-ons and expansions included a lot more content and additional systems. I don't see how people could expect a game to come out with an actual expansion that doesn't build off of previous expansions that did add or change systems.

cmacq