Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ridiculous In Game Housing System

Comments

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Aragon100 said:
    Kyleran said:
    I noticed this too, but once released, for those people who did pay up for a house, they will be able to have a nice community of players to RP with, ones that did pay.
    I'm trying to figure what is really different on "release" day which will encourage players to try or return to this game.

In a traditional model servers would be wiped and everyone would "start" working on their progression.

Does anything actually "start" on release day?

(Besides the clock on when they can walk away from this game?)
    You do realize you are talking about Lord British and not some nickel and dime pusher at EA ? From what I've seen is game portfolio isn't that bad.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

You are never as good as your last game and with so few playing this game and with so bad review's over at steam i would not hold my breath.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/326160/Shroud_of_the_Avatar_Forsaken_Virtues/#app_reviews_hash

To me Garriott is someone that was good many, may year's ago.

And how do you see on this so called "release"?

I quote myself -

"On release all player's should start evenly. 

All house's should be removed and a new landrush should take place. That will not happen in this game. The one's that donated more real life money will keep their house and making it impossible for a newcomer to get that spot. The one's that donated most real life money also started the old land rush before all that just donated 45$.

If this is release as developer's claim then all experience should be removed so all have the same chance when game start's. 

But this is not release as described above. Release was a long time ago."

So noi game should have a head start server / program ? So LotrO shouldn't have had a head start program ?  Lineage 2 shouldn't had a head start program ? Vanguard ? Archeage ? Black Desert ?

So in your opinion, no game which is literally every game ever released, shouldn't have had a head start program.

Logic is such pain in the ass.

Peopel complain wbout having multi teired payment options to fit there egos, Shroud has created that and it still isn't enough. Ridiculously fickle bunch of people lol.

Literally every option is available is in the genre, every kind of game.. and still isn't enough lol
    Why dont you respond to what i said?

All should have the same chance getting a nice house spot on release day and noone should have more XP then the other guy.

I quote again -

"All house's should be removed and a new landrush should take place. That will not happen in this game. The one's that donated more real life money will keep their house and making it impossible for a newcomer to get that spot. The one's that donated most real life money also started the old land rush before all that just donated 45$.

If this is release as developer's claim then all experience should be removed so all have the same chance when game start's. "

Anything to say about houses being placed year's ago and keeping 2 year's of gameplay experience on what these developer's call "release"?

Release have already been and developer's and some whales claiming it havent is laughanle at best.

And no my brain is not rooted in communism - how can different opinions on a game make you see them as communists? Explain that to me.

"My post was about ideas, not about whining people who have no intention of purchasing the game. I know it is hard to have ideas when ones brain is rooted in communism. "

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/471533/full-deck-combat-idea#latest

Gdemami
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    You do realize you are talking about Lord British and not some nickel and dime pusher at EA ? From what I've seen is game portfolio isn't that bad.

D&D#1 1977 Game designer & programmer
    Akalabeth: World of Doom 1980 Game designer & programmer
    Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness 1981 Original conceptor, programmer & graphic artist
    Ultima II: The Revenge of the Enchantress 1982 Game designer
    Ultima III: Exodus 1983 Project director
    Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar 1985 Project director
    Autoduel 1985 Programmer & designer
    Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny 1988 Designer, writer & programmer
    Omega 1989 Designer
    Ultima VI: The False Prophet 1990 Designer, producer, sound effect worker, writer & voice actor
    Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire 1990 Executive producer
    Ultima: Worlds of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams 1991 Creative director
    Ultima: Runes of Virtue 1991 Creative director
    Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss 1992 Director & voice actor
    Ultima VII: The Black Gate 1992 Director & producer
    Ultima VII: Forge of Virtue 1993 Creative assistance & producer
    Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle 1993 Creative director & audio team member
    Ultima VII Part Two: The Silver Seed 1993 Director & voice actor
    Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds 1993 Director & voice actor
    Ultima VIII: Pagan 1994 Producer
    Ultima: Runes of Virtue II 1994 Creative director & additional design
    Ultima VIII: The Lost Vale Cancelled Producer
    BioForge 1995 Executive producer
    Ultima Online 1997 Producer
    Ultima Online: The Second Age 1998 Executive designer
    Lineage 1998 Executive producer
    Ultima IX: Ascension 1999 Director
    Lineage II 2003 Executive producer
    City of Heroes 2004 Executive producer
    City of Villains 2005 Executive management
    Tabula Rasa 2007 Executive producer
    Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues 2017 Creative director

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

You forgot Ultimate Collector and the poker game.  After Tabula Rasa tanked he created two new games, one was called Ultimate Collector and there was a poker game called Portalarium Poker or something like that.  Unfortunately, Ultimate Collector and the poker game both tanked.  When he started Shroud of the Avatar he had three strike outs in a row.  That's a long expensive losing streak.
    kikoodutroa8
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Hmm i did not know that lord British was producer for the Lineage games,would make sense as to why NCSOFT hired him and took over his TR game.However doesn't make sense that he was independent on that if he was already making games for NCSOFT.

Anyhow,SOTA is too much old school,it really looks to me like a money/business venture more so than a passion for game design.IMO he has lost his passion and is more geared towards making money.The game looks ok though,still good enough to play but NOT with a cash shop.

Everything in game should be earned in game and paid for in game with in game currency.This is why sub fees are a must for me,i am not competing with other players in a cash shop.However knowing the intrigue of owning a house similar to SC and ships,he knew there would always be whales willing to over spend,more money than brains.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited February 2018
    Wizardry said:
    Hmm i did not know that lord British was producer for the Lineage games,would make sense as to why NCSOFT hired him and took over his TR game.However doesn't make sense that he was independent on that if he was already making games for NCSOFT.

Anyhow,SOTA is too much old school,it really looks to me like a money/business venture more so than a passion for game design.IMO he has lost his passion and is more geared towards making money.The game looks ok though,still good enough to play but NOT with a cash shop.

Everything in game should be earned in game and paid for in game with in game currency.This is why sub fees are a must for me,i am not competing with other players in a cash shop.However knowing the intrigue of owning a house similar to SC and ships,he knew there would always be whales willing to over spend,more money than brains.
    He was named US Executive Producer for the two Lineage games to help promote their success in the Western market, how well did that turn out, eh?

I recall when he first joined NC, they had him join in the US Lineage 1 servers where he was given control of the games biggest, baddest "boss mobs" and players were allowed to "fight him" inside one of the game's arenas and try to take him down.

I watched it from ringside,  but didn't join in because Lineage 1 was a game where you lost XP for dying, and could even de-level.

In typical NC stupidity, they could not or would not turn off the deleveling feature and many players lost 4 or 5 that day.   

Expereience was hard won, especially at the time I was level 48 or so trying for 50.  Never made it however, as not long after our clan took a fairly good keep and during several hard fought derenses I found myself back to level 44, and wondering what was the point of playng this game?

I moved on to DAOC shortly after and the rest is history.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I have a solution to the Housing problem which will help everyone, it is simpley don't play the game. Problem solved. You are all welcome.
    Aragon100NildenDakerukikoodutroa8QuarterStack
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    I have a solution to the Housing problem which will help everyone, it is simpley don't play the game. Problem solved. You are all welcome.
    Haha, yeah. =)
  • NorthcockNorthcock Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited February 2018
    First things first lets get a few things straight since my locked post now appears to have been assimilated by the Borg and is hell bent on annihilation.

The game is not dead. Not to me, I was trying to convey how the game APPEARS to a new player walking through NPC towns. And my concerns about the unavailability issue which is probably the stem of the issue.

Yes I am a cheeky git and have a knack for complaining, but I would like to point out I think that the game is pretty good and am still investing a lot of time in it as I enjoy about 85% of the game.

I am in an active guild and there I see a lot of other guilds on a daily basis also out and about doing things in game.

Yes I had serious concerns about the housing system, which probably could have been worded better in light of how much attention the post has received. But if anything the Devs have already acknowledged they are planning some minor, and hopefully if we are lucky, future changes to the Place ANYWHERE Deeds.

I myself did donate at the beginning and only started playing the game now (5 years later). I did play all the Ultima games growing up and UO etc.

I think if anything these sort of issues are also a big thing since the trend of early access began. Which I was never for, but it has created a few gems to be fair.

If anything I was expressing my concern and views because I want the game to succeed and change things urgently that I feel are really big things.

First appearances are everything, and if walking through the NPC starter towns all you see are placeholders or empty lots, then that is a huge issue imho. Fortunately I know that the game is NOT dead, and I play it every day and thoroughly enjoy it.

The reason I was so abrupt about not reading or wanting replies is because I was sharing my exact perspective, it was not really open for discussion. I knew people would all misread, derail, tell me to git gud, and fanbois would generally try to water down my issue. It is not because I do not respect other peoples opinions. But I do not want to waste my time discussing something that will not change unless it actually changes.

Yet here I am discussing it.

I hope my rant does not end up casting negative shadows about all the other aspects of the game which I think are impressive, unique and very enjoyable.

Sometimes you have to say what people do not want to hear, all I can hope is that people are smart to enough to see it for the actual issues and not spin it into something it is not.

P.S I am the OP of the original rant
    VladamirBegemot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Northcock said:
    First things first lets get a few things straight since my locked post now appears to have been assimilated by the Borg and is hell bent on annihilation.

The game is not dead. Not to me, I was trying to convey how the game APPEARS to a new player walking through NPC towns. And my concerns about the unavailability issue which is probably the stem of the issue.

Yes I am a cheeky git and have a knack for complaining, but I would like to point out I think that the game is pretty good and am still investing a lot of time in it as I enjoy about 85% of the game.

I am in an active guild and there I see a lot of other guilds on a daily basis also out and about doing things in game.

Yes I had serious concerns about the housing system, which probably could have been worded better in light of how much attention the post has received. But if anything the Devs have already acknowledged they are planning some minor, and hopefully if we are lucky, future changes to the Place ANYWHERE Deeds.

I myself did donate at the beginning and only started playing the game now (5 years later). I did play all the Ultima games growing up and UO etc.

I think if anything these sort of issues are also a big thing since the trend of early access began. Which I was never for, but it has created a few gems to be fair.

If anything I was expressing my concern and views because I want the game to succeed and change things urgently that I feel are really big things.

First appearances are everything, and if walking through the NPC starter towns all you see are placeholders or empty lots, then that is a huge issue imho. Fortunately I know that the game is NOT dead, and I play it every day and thoroughly enjoy it.

The reason I was so abrupt about not reading or wanting replies is because I was sharing my exact perspective, it was not really open for discussion. I knew people would all misread, derail, tell me to git gud, and fanbois would generally try to water down my issue. It is not because I do not respect other peoples opinions. But I do not want to waste my time discussing something that will not change unless it actually changes.

Yet here I am discussing it.

I hope my rant does not end up casting negative shadows about all the other aspects of the game which I think are impressive, unique and very enjoyable.

Sometimes you have to say what people do not want to hear, all I can hope is that people are smart to enough to see it for the actual issues and not spin it into something it is not.

Just a point of order, discussion forums are for....discussions right?

People may have alternate views and if you are going to share your opinions you have to be willing to hear theirs, even if sometimes they may say something you don't wish to hear.

Glad to have you join us here,  we could use more folks actively playing and enjoying the game sharing their  thoughts, but be sure to bring some of the positives, plenty of "harbingers" here have most of the negatives pretty well covered.

B)
    Astraeis

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cover2xycover2xy Member UncommonPosts: 5
    says the dude with 4 post count...

Can you tell how the start zone works ?
    Yes I can, would you like me to describe in BORING DETAIL the trite process of character creation on the Isle of Storms? Or did you mean AFTER I went through the regurgitated "Ultima-like" virtue Q+A process? 

If you're really interested in my opinions, which clearly you ARE NOT, go to Reddit. That's where I post, same name too so as not confuse obtuse individuals. 
    GdemamiJamesGoblin
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    So noi game should have a head start server / program ? So LotrO shouldn't have had a head start program ?  Lineage 2 shouldn't had a head start program ? Vanguard ? Archeage ? Black Desert ?

So in your opinion, no game which is literally every game ever released, shouldn't have had a head start program.
    Yes, you nailed it. No decent game should have early-acces or pre-ordering.

It takes one to know one.

Elsabolts said:
    But do play these forums. We all love the drama.

Northcock said:

Thanks for sharing. I liked reading it.

• BrugasBrugas Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Aragon100 said:
    A bit further into the thread.

Cock of the North - I do not even have time to read the replies.

I was CLEARLY talking about NPC town LOT DEEDS in NPC towns with hundreds of empty lots.

Do you want me to make a documentary video of me walking in NORTHWOOD

Northwood!?  NORTHWOOD!? That's your comparison for the whole game? An npc story town way out north in the middle of nowhere and you're complaining it is empty.  Really?

There are plenty of towns with spots.  A lot of NPC towns are slam full.  Most players stay near the 5 major hubs of activity (Brittany, Ardoris, Etceter/Xenos, Resolute, Soltown).  There are some others with more players but those are the main hubs.  If you willing choose a remote location don't expect it to be full and lively.  Perhaps one day when more content is put up there and more players come into the game, like after release, then maybe.
    VladamirBegemotAragon100
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    keyword>>>OWN,you spend that 200 bucks and you won't own a single thing,just the license to use that home in game and if game disappears,you won't even have those pixels anymore to use.

I am a but perturbed that we keep seeing items listed as FOR SALE with real money,but they are not selling us jack,they should be labeled properly as a license to use only.
    Perfect example,i OWN UT99,been playing it for 17 or so years,i can use it fully,mod with it,create maps anything i want.I can play on servers forever as long as there are servers and/or make my own.This is what i call a for sale item that i actually own.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2018
    Wizardry said:
    keyword>>>OWN,you spend that 200 bucks and you won't own a single thing,just the license to use that home in game and if game disappears,you won't even have those pixels anymore to use.

I am a but perturbed that we keep seeing items listed as FOR SALE with real money,but they are not selling us jack,they should be labeled properly as a license to use only.
    Perfect example,i OWN UT99,been playing it for 17 or so years,i can use it fully,mod with it,create maps anything i want.I can play on servers forever as long as there are servers and/or make my own.This is what i call a for sale item that i actually own.
    So you're problem with the game is that you're one of those people who doesn't like seeing real money spent on virtual stuff? Really? That's how old UO was as well, never mind the many games in between the two.  UO is still around after all these years and what you bought there you can still have to this day.

This game seems just as committed to giving players that as well.  If you don't want to spend real money on stuff, then don't.  You don't have to.  You can earn in-game currency, gold, to buy Crowns of the Obsidians, a premium currency, which is what you can use to buy those things from the in game store as well (off CotO merchants), or you could simply use in game gold and buy taxed or tax-free lot deeds and housing from other players. Happens all the time and people don't have to spend real money to get what they want/need if they'd rather earn it in game. Furthermore everything in game seems to have a real value as well. Some gamers like that.

If you don't like to see money thrown around in a game, then this is not the game for you.  But if you don't mind, this could be a very rewarding game if you give it a chance.
    Hluill
    Brugas said:
    Wizardry said:

So you're problem with the game is that you're one of those people who doesn't like seeing real money spent on virtual stuff? Really? That's how old UO was as well, never mind the many games in between the two.  UO is still around after all these years and what you bought there you can still have to this day.

This game seems just as committed to giving players that as well.  If you don't want to spend real money on stuff, then don't.  You don't have to.  You can earn in-game currency, gold, to buy Crowns of the Obsidians, a premium currency, which is what you can use to buy those things from the in game store as well (off CotO merchants), or you could simply use in game gold and buy taxed or tax-free lot deeds and housing from other players. Happens all the time and people don't have to spend real money to get what they want/need if they'd rather earn it in game. Furthermore everything in game seems to have a real value as well. Some gamers like that.

If you don't like to see money thrown around in a game, then this is not the game for you.  But if you don't mind, this could be a very rewarding game if you give it a chance.

That sums it up.  If you don't like P2W and RMT then go somewhere else.
    edited March 2018
    Brugas said:
    Wizardry said:

Well with the RMT yeah, but there really isnt a P2W in the game.  All skills have to be earned just like every other player.  There is no easy way around that.  Even if you wanted to craft and dumped a ton of cash into buying materials... you still have to have earned the craft xp pools to skill up.  Its not like other games where you just do something/use a skill, etc and increase those skills by simple usage.  Have to acquire an adventure xp pool & craft xp pool to use in order to gain skills.  So there is no P2W atm and they've done a good job keeping it balanced from that... there is a P2HaveNiceStuff&Decorations though.
    Brugas said:
    Brugas said:
    Wizardry said:

Well with the RMT yeah, but there really isnt a P2W in the game.  All skills have to be earned just like every other player.  There is no easy way around that.  Even if you wanted to craft and dumped a ton of cash into buying materials... you still have to have earned the craft xp pools to skill up.  Its not like other games where you just do something/use a skill, etc and increase those skills by simple usage.  Have to acquire an adventure xp pool & craft xp pool to use in order to gain skills.  So there is no P2W atm and they've done a good job keeping it balanced from that... there is a P2HaveNiceStuff&Decorations though.

It's true about the P2W, too.  The devs will agree with this and have said so in their forums.  They say that because the game is RMT that the whales will always have a P2W advantage because they can buy everything.  They can even pay someone else to power level their accounts and buy all the best armor and weapons in game and then pay some more to restore max durability so they never have to lose their expensive P2W RMT armor and weapons.
    Hluill
    Brugas said:
    Brugas said:
    Wizardry said:

It's true about the P2W, too.  The devs will agree with this and have said so in their forums.  They say that because the game is RMT that the whales will always have a P2W advantage because they can buy everything.  They can even pay someone else to power level their accounts and buy all the best armor and weapons in game and then pay some more to restore max durability so they never have to lose their expensive P2W RMT armor and weapons.
    Mmmm no.  The devs have not said that nor would they agree.  There is no P2W.  I don't think you've played the game much.  Even if you went out and bought all the best gear with whatever gold you purchased, you'd still be crap without the skills you have to earn on your own.

You can repair durability with in game resources. You can FIND Cotos in the game as loot or you can buy them with in game gold to repair max durability.  Max durability slowly goes away even with Cotos (crowns of the obsidians), so durability DOES diminish over time no matter how you repair it. It's part of the player driven economy and a way to keep crafters in demand.

Now talking about "paying someone to power level" their accounts is just silly.  You could do that for any game.  If someone had enough money they could heavily invest in the company, pay off a dev, or flat out buy the company/IP Rights, etc for the right price and do whatever they want.  That doesn't make the game P2W.

P2W = Pay to win... what exactly is being won? You're not being beaten down anywhere.  You're not being kept from anything you can't access normally.  There is no competition that pits you against others where, in some games, you buy some premium gear and beat the stuffing out of others, even if you were in pvp.  The game is largely skill based and even the best of the best crafted by those with 125+ in craft skills still only adds a small amount over other master or gm crafters.  It doesn't help you "win" quests.  It doesn't help you "win" loot.  It doesnt help you "win" anything at all.  It just gives you more stuff.  So unless you're in a race to have the most unique items, then no, it's not P2W.
    DracSchniderHluill
    Brugas said:
    Brugas said:
    Brugas said:
    Wizardry said:

Mmmm no.  The devs have not said that nor would they agree.  There is no P2W.  I don't think you've played the game much.  Even if you went out and bought all the best gear with whatever gold you purchased, you'd still be crap without the skills you have to earn on your own.

You can repair durability with in game resources. You can FIND Cotos in the game as loot or you can buy them with in game gold to repair max durability.  Max durability slowly goes away even with Cotos (crowns of the obsidians), so durability DOES diminish over time no matter how you repair it. It's part of the player driven economy and a way to keep crafters in demand.

Now talking about "paying someone to power level" their accounts is just silly.  You could do that for any game.  If someone had enough money they could heavily invest in the company, pay off a dev, or flat out buy the company/IP Rights, etc for the right price and do whatever they want.  That doesn't make the game P2W.

P2W = Pay to win... what exactly is being won? You're not being beaten down anywhere.  You're not being kept from anything you can't access normally.  There is no competition that pits you against others where, in some games, you buy some premium gear and beat the stuffing out of others, even if you were in pvp.  The game is largely skill based and even the best of the best crafted by those with 125+ in craft skills still only adds a small amount over other master or gm crafters.  It doesn't help you "win" quests.  It doesn't help you "win" loot.  It doesnt help you "win" anything at all.  It just gives you more stuff.  So unless you're in a race to have the most unique items, then no, it's not P2W.

This is what he said, the dev.  "P2W is that the whales get more gold without working in game for it " That is P2W because everything in game is RMT.  A dev said that.
    Hluill
    That's not what Chris said, it was edited.  Read the entire forum section.  There is no Pay to Win, he was saying the only thing remotely close to a P2W situation was that whales who buy gold turn around and put it right back into the economy and almost always to non-whales.
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I'm with Burgas on this.  There is no P2W,  there is those that paid to have the game developed and in doing so got some nice starter items.  And those that are starting with out the items.  The Store items are Fluff / Décor, Skins, emotes, non combat pets, dyes, etc.  No item that will win you anything in PVP or PVE.  Houses are extra storage for chests, but guess what you can have 300 chests in your banks each with 300 items in them, so technically houses are fluff.

I also would like to know which Dev stated the comment above and or the link so I can read it for myself.

FYI the last donation telethon raised more money then any previous.  The server numbers are up a lot and growing daily.  

SOTA will be around for a very long time like UO, and will keep expanding. 

Also wanted to state last QA the developers still call this the successor to UO , its going to become pretty close over the next year to that of UO that I am 100% sure :)
    Brugas
    edited March 2018
    Brugas said:
    Wizardry said:

Old UO is UO before Age of Shadows feb 2003 that made UO just another WoW game. Really old UO is before Trammel.

I played UO since beta all the way up to some months into Age of Shadows and all you wanted in the game was bought inside the game by ingame money. There were no UO developers selling outside the game as they do in SotA.

Anything that was sold in old UO was gained by playing the game and then you sold it to other's that were interested.

In SotA you can buy it before you even start the game.

A huge difference. 

Do you understand the difference?

Did your internet break? You know you can just search for the quote, its on the internet.

Look.  Everyone has a differing opinion of what P2W is supposed to mean.  Old timers think it's all about PVP, but it's not just that when you factor in RMT and Shroud if a RMT game.  First, you have to know what the game is about and in Shroud the game is about RMT, housing, and weird naked dance parties.  So when you don't have to do anything but buy everything with real cash, all your deeds, all your vendors, and all the arrest weapons, cloths, armor, and then you can even pay to power level, all dev sanctioned then its P2W.  Listen.  The dev that said it's P2W is also the dev in charge of balance and the economy.  If the dev that balances the loot and the economy says whales can just just buy gold (which is allowed to be farmed and RMT) then the game is P2W.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/random-discussion-about-chris-daily-blog.85583/page-251#post-943006

The only P2W is that the whales get more gold without working in game for it BUT they almost all turn around and spend it on items from non-whales.

See, the dev that balances the economy tuned it right up for the RMT whales.

Aragon100 said:
    Brugas said:
    Wizardry said:

Old UO is UO before Age of Shadows feb 2003 that made UO just another WoW game. Really old UO is before Trammel.

I played UO since beta all the way up to some months into Age of Shadows and all you wanted in the game was bought inside the game by ingame money. There were no UO developers selling outside the game as they do in SotA.

Anything that was sold in old UO was gained by playing the game and then you sold it to other's that were interested.

In SotA you can buy it before you even start the game.

A huge difference. 

No, there is no difference.  The gold bought has to be earned by players as well.  Have you even played Shroud of the Avatar? 

And yes, you could buy stuff in the old version of the game UO as well silly. I played since launch in August of '97, and yes you most certainly could buy stuff as my wife did all the time, especially housing.

Whether the devs sold anything or not doesnt make a difference, although RG and crew did sell other merchandise, the UO team was funded by Electronic Arts too... a huge difference than an independent kickstarter.