Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I think AGS(Amazon) won't release a single game

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Standard options: f2p with cash shop, b2p with paid dlc, subscription. Typically we see a mix these days.

Leaving Twitch to one side Amazon has additional option: included with Prime. 
    BruceYee
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    How I see it is Amazon always wants a foothold in every aspect of the home. Gaming is another step inside the house. They are successful in almost everything they do. Something will drop, people will buy it and they will continue on. Whether they will be good or EA is a  whole bigger topic! 
    Leiloni
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Rhoklaw said:
    I believe you need money to make an MMO. Mr. Bezos has that. I also believe you need intelligent people who know the business and make good decisions in charge of said venture. That is what worries me as Smed is not what I would consider a good for business person. While he's not a visionary or dreamer like Chris Roberts, he isn't exactly innovative. He's going to have the same concepts and ideas in his head that has ruined his past working experience. Think about why SOE gaming was shut down.
    Smed has his own studio within AGS and Amazon has several studios. Smed is not involved in New World and whatever he is involved in hasn't even been announced yet. So we can safely ignore Smed's involvement in Amazon for now and then continue to ignore whatever game he's making there once they announce it.
    [Deleted User]
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    gervaise1 said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    BruceYee said:
    Quizzical said:
    Your argument is that Amazon won't release any games because they have released a lot of other things?  I don't follow you.
    How much money can actually be made from New World and Crucible if those games are still even being developed and is it worth it for them is what I'm wondering.
    Looking at Amazon historic data they are not a profitable company.  Actually never was for 20 years.  But the scary part is they are so big now, they own almost everything.  

Jeff Bezos is the richest man alive and his company was not profitable for 20 years.  

If you measure profitability as Income - (total) Expenditure yes.

If you measure profitability as Income - Cost of Existing Operations (free cash flow) then Amazon are, and have been, hugely profitable.

And unless a business is simply "squandering" its free cash flow it is the second measure that investors are interested in. Which is why Amazon's share price has continued to increase. Amazon is spending the money it makes to get bigger rather than paying huge dividends.

Yes, Amazon made $5.6 Billion in US profits in 2017. They're hugely successful.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    yeah probably not

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People talk about Bezos like they think he actually does much.These rich guys have people in charge of every aspect of their life,they don't need to do a single thing except show up at board meetings or talk to a lead rep if needed.
    So they have this game division,we don't even know if Bezos had anything to do with that other than ok the idea.This gaming team will have their employees,lead hands/producer ,system guys,they show up to work,do their job.
    Then people get this rich because they feel the power,greed,need to be somebody.You know how it would look if one the richest people couldn't make a business work,or if he would enjoy fielding questions from the press?

Having said that and based on what i have seen in the gaming industry so far and of recent,there are VERY few capable people of doing HQ work.Does Amazon house any of those capable people,i highly doubt it because it usually involves hiring cast offs or former employees of other games i feel are crap or poorly designed.All that developers care about is >$$$$,they couldn't care less if they agree with me that most games are crap,if it sells they are happy.

So bottom line,do i think they will produce even one HQ game,VERY unlikely,1 very average playable game,yeah likely but nothing better than that.

Look at MH of recent,OH SO GREAT,it's dropped to 23rd on the Twitch viewing list and it was top 5/6 just a few weeks ago.So these so called great games are NOT great,they simply have a sudden burst of excitement for a few weeks then it the same 5-6 games at the top of the list week after week.

BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Doesn't it scare people at least a little that some of these online giants are getting so powerful? Do you really want Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc to control so much of society?
    Slapshot1188
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Doesn't it scare people at least a little that some of these online giants are getting so powerful? Do you really want Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc to control so much of society?
    They scare the crap out of me.  Especially Amazon and Google.  We are being led like sheep to slaughter.
    RexKushman

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

In short, yes. Let me ask you this, I'm sure you have email, so would you prefer to have Gmail, or Tom's Email Service? Do you trust your source code to Joe's Cloud Services or AWS? Let's not forget that the number one commodity right now is information. So are you seriously going to give your information to someone who doesn't have the resources to secure it? Fuck that! I'll take an Amazon any day over some shady looking site that I've never heard of. At least I know I'm going to get my shit or get my money back, without hassle.
    ConstantineMerusBruceYee

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I think Amazon will end up producing a lot of games. 

I think I'll hate all of them. They're building their games with Twitch in mind from the start. I can't stand Twitch. I can't even comprehend the concept of it, watching other people play games? How is that entertaining? Why wouldn't you play the game yourself?

By designing a game with Twitch in mind, you are basically guaranteeing that the game will be all flash, no substance. Being a new studio, they're also bound to make the same mistakes that everyone else makes when first starting out. 

With New World specifically, I doubt it'll even be an MMO. My initial expectation was that it'd be another survival box, probably similar to Rust, just with a unique theme (18th century supernatural america). Now that a year has passed and the survival genre has calmed down, I doubt the game will make it to launch. 

But yeh, bigger picture, the games industry is bigger than the film and television industry and has been for nearly 6 years now. It's huge. The amount of money up for grabs is well worth it. So why wouldn't Amazon get involved? The real question is what will Amazon bring to the table?

On the subject of big tech companies dominating the world. Yeh, it can be scary, but my level of trust varies wildly. For example, I actually trust Amazon a lot. They make their money pretty honestly, they sell shit to us and they make a profit. The same with Microsoft, they make stuff, sell it to us and make a profit. The same with Apple, they make stuff, sell it to us and make a profit (even if it's all massively overpriced, at least they're upfront about it). 

Google and Facebook.....nope, don't trust them one bit. They don't make anything that we want to buy, so they're more dishonest. They make money through advertising, so they are basically selling us (our data) to other people. It's in their interests for them to make us addicted to their platforms, because that means more hits and more advertising revenue. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'd rather have no news and wait until they have something substantive than having a lot of early early info.  With the very early info, ppl get excited, then start complaining that things aren't moving, and we slowly destroy the game within the forums before it even sees the light of day.  Let them work on it in the dark and when they're rdy, woot!  (hopefully)

I self identify as a monkey.

Wizardry said:
    People talk about Bezos like they think he actually does much.<snip>

What leaders provide is strategic direction.

Now sometimes the directions given out are rubbish.

The growth of Amazon to date though - historically in the face of criticism from shareholders - says that the direction Bezos is steering Amazon in is sound.
    No.

What scares me is the fact that people "believe" so much that is posted. That so many e.g. Americans in the 2016 election were duped.

And leaving aside the fact that so much was false it also scares me that so many were prepared to believe what was posted. Polar ice caps melting for example?

And I am not sorry if this offends some people. I believe in stuff like tolerance, humanity and science and that peaceful co-operation allows for advances that result in a better life for us all.

Is everything perfect? No. Doesn't mean we should dump our ideals though. Sometimes there is just to much negativity around. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    gervaise1 said:
    No.

What scares me is the fact that people "believe" so much that is posted. That so many e.g. Americans in the 2016 election were duped.

And leaving aside the fact that so much was false it also scares me that so many were prepared to believe what was posted. Polar ice caps melting for example?

And I am not sorry if this offends some people. I believe in stuff like tolerance, humanity and science and that peaceful co-operation allows for advances that result in a better life for us all.

Is everything perfect? No. Doesn't mean we should dump our ideals though. Sometimes there is just to much negativity around. 

I'm all in with Google and Amazon.  They are my overlords, and I am happy!
    BruceYee

I self identify as a monkey.