Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legacy of the Necromancer Release Notes Published - Lord of the Rings Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLegacy of the Necromancer Release Notes Published - Lord of the Rings Online - MMORPG.com

Lord of the Rings Online News - The Lord of the Rings Online forum has been updated with the full patch notes for tomorrow's Legacy of the Necromancer patch. Most notably, Chapters 5 and 6 of the Black Book of Mordor will provide players a chance to move with the Golden Host toward Dol Guldur. In addition, the Strongholds of the North will open where players will meet Elvenking Thranduil and learn more about the troubles in Dale and Lake-town as well as help the dwarves in Erebor.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Just awesome to see them moving the story forward like this , i may jump back in ....
    AlomarThupli
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Game still looks good. Look at that sky.
    Reveriellecheyane

• LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I really enjoyed my time in this game and the scenery has held up wonderfully. The in-game systems for roleplaying really are the benchmark for the modern MMO. Unfortunately I just can't go back to the janky animations and boring combat system.

Sorry I'll have to pass!
    daltanious
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    kitarad said:
    Just wish the character models and animations looked as good as the scenery...
    Thupli[Deleted User]Truvidien88

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    My favourite part of the notes is that everyone will get the fiddle by default, and that the level req. of the more "exotic" instruments is lowered too. Will be much easier for bands to visit other servers.

The episodic content sounds nice as well, Bingo's adventure was really popular and welcomed.

Sorry I'll have to pass!
    Nope, you shall not pass!
    :sunglasses:
    Psym0n[Deleted User]Sovrath
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I really enjoyed my time in this game and the scenery has held up wonderfully. The in-game systems for roleplaying really are the benchmark for the modern MMO. Unfortunately I just can't go back to the janky animations and boring combat system.

Sorry I'll have to pass!

Agreed. That truly horrible animations, movement physics, .... were at the end too much for me to live with, tried again last year to return, but I guess was truly my last try. Shame as game as such otherwise, questing, endgame, .... like them, lore great, .... But all owners so far have invested exactly zero effort to upgrade animations. It make me feel sick just watching at that "wooden" movements and to see how fluid, entertaining combat, movement, physics are in games like FF14, Wow, Gw2, Swtor, Rift, .... some of them also pretty old.
  • DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Their F2P system is worst and the amount of money you have to pay in order to reach the endgame is insane.
    daltanious
    Opinions may vary, and to drop one from the other side: their f2p is the best.
    There. :wink:  just an opinion like yours.

The second part is not correct at all, you have to pay nothing to reach the endgame. You don't even have to grind Points for it, you can level in a casual speed with the book quests and crafting and the (free) dungeons and (free) skirmishes.

If you want to unlock all the zones while you're at it, that's a different beast. And that's where the best part of their f2p is: you can do it any way you like, any way fits the most for your playstyle. You can do it for free (but then you will grind a lot). You can do it by individual purchases (with some planning and using of sales you can get everything in maybe 40ish bucks). Or, you can be lazy, subscribe for a couple months and just play.

Now, Mordor itself at the very end, that's a stupid priced expansion, I agree. But that's also available in the in-game store too, and I advised to everyone since the Mordor announcement to ignore the bundle and buy only the expansion from the game (where the above listed methods are all in play, you can get it for free, or by purchase, or from the subscription).
    LiljnaDewulfgervaise1
  • haplo8haplo8 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Is it sad that the thing I am most excited about is the playable fiddle?
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    kitarad said:
    Just wish the character models and animations looked as good as the scenery...
    They redid many of the models and animations. 
    gervaise1
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Sorry I'll have to pass!

Agreed. That truly horrible animations, movement physics, .... were at the end too much for me to live with, tried again last year to return, but I guess was truly my last try. Shame as game as such otherwise, questing, endgame, .... like them, lore great, .... But all owners so far have invested exactly zero effort to upgrade animations. It make me feel sick just watching at that "wooden" movements and to see how fluid, entertaining combat, movement, physics are in games like FF14, Wow, Gw2, Swtor, Rift, .... some of them also pretty old.

See above
    gervaise1
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Dan2607Dan2607 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Great news, cant wait. Really enjoyed the Mordor expansion and this hopefully may help define the future of the game. Keep them coming :)
    My opinion, for what its worth, if you are a player thinking of returning I don't think you'll be disappointed. 
    I find this game best in a kin. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The questing just wears me out in LoTRO.
    Reverielle
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    The questing just wears me out in LoTRO.
    I never did "the questing". I just played it how I wanted. Had my own narrative, traveled the world and did "some quests" but not only have their quests nose dived as far as quality, running to a glowing circle is NOT "questing". IT's a relay race.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    The game's engine is the Asherons Call 2 engine, which came out in 2002 or something like that. So the engine is really, really old. To compare this game's engine and physics to SWTOR or GuildWars2 is simply not fair.

You do not need to pay a lot in this game. Technically, the way the Turbine Points (or whatever they are called now) work, you can grind for points and not pay a single cent for the game (like Star Trek Online). That requires a lot of time, so you are paying with time.

But all you need to do is buy the latest expansion, then buy one of the bundled quest-pack options that will level you to Mordor and go from there. The entire epic quest line is basically free, and you can fill in any gaps with skirmish runs along the way. That is not the best way to play the game, but you can do that.

You can sub for a month and get a ton of zones free, and the leveling in this game is really fast.

But, this is an old game and there are no new players coming. Those players stopped many years ago with this game. Anyone reading this probably has things that are bought, zones that are paid for, and characters that are already high level.

Certain quests you read, certain quests are filler and you dont read. If you have played the game for a while, you already know what quests are the ones you read. Talk to the other quest NPCs, kill this 10 times, collect this many bear hides....you get the idea.

The technical limitations of the game engine are the real killer. Try playing on your war steed and even with the best computer available you will be hitching, lagging, and rubber banding all over the place. It's not unplayable, it just is not fun.

And that is LOTRO. It just is not a fun game anymore.
    daltanious
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

The technical limitations of the game engine are the real killer. Try playing on your war steed and even with the best computer available you will be hitching, lagging, and rubber banding all over the place. It's not unplayable, it just is not fun.

And that is LOTRO. It just is not a fun game anymore.
    It is virtually impossible for me to use my war steed for anything other than traveling quickly on a road.

I can't tell you the number of times I tried to steer it here or there and ended up careening into a wall or fence or  "whatever".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Po_gg said:

The second part is not correct at all, you have to pay nothing to reach the endgame. You don't even have to grind Points for it, you can level in a casual speed with the book quests and crafting and the (free) dungeons and (free) skirmishes.

If you want to unlock all the zones while you're at it, that's a different beast. And that's where the best part of their f2p is: you can do it any way you like, any way fits the most for your playstyle. You can do it for free (but then you will grind a lot). You can do it by individual purchases (with some planning and using of sales you can get everything in maybe 40ish bucks). Or, you can be lazy, subscribe for a couple months and just play.

Now, Mordor itself at the very end, that's a stupid priced expansion, I agree. But that's also available in the in-game store too, and I advised to everyone since the Mordor announcement to ignore the bundle and buy only the expansion from the game (where the above listed methods are all in play, you can get it for free, or by purchase, or from the subscription).

40 dollars for quadpack, 40 dollars for helms deep (5 years old expansion), 40 dollars for mordor and 15 dollars for sub. That is all you have to pay in order to "enjoy" and do all the stuff in the game without making new alts to grind some freaking points so you can actually play the damn game. For a new paying customer this is insane and scares them away (as if the old game doesn't do that already).

Yes it might be good for people who like to play it fully F2P, but it is a hell of a grind if you really wanna do it instead of just enjoying the game.

Would you rather play MMORPG that lets you level up to max lvl with all the content for free or play MMORPG where you have to stop every 10 - 20 levels to grind some points so you can actually progress in the game and then get some points to unlock most of the traits for your class?.

Even SWTOR is better for paying customer, you only have to pay 15 dollars in order to experience the whole game.

Torval said:

Dewulf said:

Po_gg said:

40 dollars for quadpack, 40 dollars for helms deep (5 years old expansion), 40 dollars for mordor and 15 dollars for sub. That is all you have to pay in order to "enjoy" and do all the stuff in the game without making new alts to grind some freaking points so you can actually play the damn game. For a new paying customer this is insane and scares them away (as if the old game doesn't do that already).

Yes it might be good for people who like to play it fully F2P, but it is a hell of a grind if you really wanna do it instead of just enjoying the game.

Would you rather play MMORPG that lets you level up to max lvl with all the content for free or play MMORPG where you have to stop every 10 - 20 levels to grind some points so you can actually progress in the game and then get some points to unlock most of the traits for your class?.

Even SWTOR is better for paying customer, you only have to pay 15 dollars in order to experience the whole game.

You don't need to buy those all at once. You can sub and have access to everything but a few expansion pieces. A smart player would wait until those go on sale, which they do a couple times a year, for $5 - $10 each.

The sub is $10/mo for 3 months. That's like paying for 2 months sub and getting one free. It also comes with 1500 game cash points you can use to purchase those expansions and quest packs. So in a few months a smart player would grab those packs on sale with their sub stipend.

Or you can throw money around and rage it's not a good deal. The difference in subbing for LotRO and TOR, since I play both, is that TOR locks rewards and systems behind the sub. It's a good deal while you sub, but the sub is mandatory if you're going to play full time. The sub in LotRO is optional once you unlock the content area.

You just proved my point even more lol.
    Dewulf said:
    You just proved my point even more lol.
    You just proved to miss the point even more lol.

:sunglasses:
    [Deleted User]
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Played that Grumpwood. Impressions.
    1) World is in black, black, black, dark grey, black, black, grey, black...all region up to Elven town is such. The only varieties in black are red eyes in woods and white/gray fog.
    2) Thou shalt not pass! Developers created a path you must follow. No open world - if there is path, everyone go there, otherwise you are NOT getting anywhere.
    3) No scenery. You quest in dark, you go to half-dark Elven city, then go to darkness outside
    4) No stories to be immersed to. No characters to care for or hate.
    5) Quests are very immersive. True. Kill 5 rats. Exterminate 5 huorns. Kill 7 wolves. Kill some waterspirits.
    6) Do NOT go to quest on your Cook or Scholar: you get crafting tokens, these are bound to toon, so you are screwed, your "crafter" cannot craft essences.
    7) Three factions to grind reputation for (which is kind of good). Rumours are, you go for armour, like - Elven is light, Dwarven is heavy. No heavy armour so far.
    8) Impossible quests where you have to fight 300.000 hp storng boss, his adds and at the fight 3 wood trolls (some 180,000 hp each) spawns. Solo quest, by the way - one of many "you against everything". No strategy works, no dps is enough, even Minstrel heals are too weak.
    9) Remember Signature monster in Mordor? One with some 190.000 hp and strong attacks? Remember how you fought hard to defeat signature? Good. Because here every third monster is signature strong. Some have almost 100% chance to reflect your damage - good luck in defeating.

In short: grumpy, boring region, most unwellcoming. So far many regions had their 'aura'. Forochel with its icy beauty and aurora borealis. Green Rohan with many stories about bravery and treachery. Evendim(Everswim) with its beautiful lakes. Eregion with its ruins and night rainbow (Gandalf, your job?). Wildermore with Nurzum and Rohirrim fight. Dunland with its Dunlendings and famous "Isengard bids five" + your own captivity. North Mirkwood has nothing.

Suggestion: save Lotro points and purchase only when it's on sale. For long-term investment, some serious things and rewards - choose Mordor.