Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hands On with Far Cry 5's American Adventure - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

DataDay said:

This is not a political forum.

The game covers a topic and used politicized people as well as politicized events to help frame it. Why are you upset its being brought up? Its not appearing in any unnatural fashion, but rather a byproduct of the discussion as well as questions presented.

If it touches on any confirmation biases you may have, just say so and move on, however context is always good. Think critically and come to your own conclusions based on a neutral position or at the very least seeing a few different perspectives.

Because politics are against forum rules ;)

Well only one person actually referred to a specific political party, and it wasn't me. History as it pertains to events that drove both the "expert" used in this game as well as themes presented are not on their own directly "political" or rather partisan. They could be if presented as such, but they have not been.

Lets not make it directly political, how about that? Just cover context and information as it pertains to the game and its creation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited March 2018

DataDay said:

DataDay said:

This is not a political forum.

The game covers a topic and used politicized people as well as politicized events to help frame it. Why are you upset its being brought up? Its not appearing in any unnatural fashion, but rather a byproduct of the discussion as well as questions presented.

If it touches on any confirmation biases you may have, just say so and move on, however context is always good. Think critically and come to your own conclusions based on a neutral position or at the very least seeing a few different perspectives.

Because politics are against forum rules ;)

Well only one person actually referred to a specific political party, and it wasn't me. History as it pertains to events that drove both the "expert" used in this game as well as themes presented are not on their own directly "political" or rather partisan. They could be if presented as such, but they have not been.

Lets not make it directly political, how about that? Just cover context and information as it pertains to the game and its creation.

Correct. So keep the videos and links about Far Cry not news events  ;)

They are about Farcry though. Charismatic "cult leader" father Joseph Seed is clearly based on David Koresh. The link towards the event in question as well as the hollywood mini series based on Koresh shows the connection.

You simply cannot separate the game from real events. If you find fault with that, feel free to shoot an email to Ubisoft's producers, especially those who thought it was a good idea to use Rick Ross and some sensitive subject matter as the basis for a game in which you go around murdering people.
    *shrugs*
    Add: In an interview, creative director Dan Hay was asked if Seed was based on any historical model, such as Koresh. Hay responded with "Very much so. We did a lot of research and reading. We looked into a lot of historical precedents and personalities." As for official Ubisoft marketing, it uses our bill of rights to frame their marketing material. Again one cannot separate the game from the content mentioned in my posts.
    Post edited by DataDay on
    bartoni33forcelimaOctagon7711

Torval said:
    I don't care about your neutral context that you're implying is more insightful. I live here. I have family all over the region. I'm just relating my perspective from experience. There is no neutral perspective. That's a lie told by people trying to sell their own perspective as the right one.

That's a lie told by people trying to sell their own perspective as the right one. ;-)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

DataDay said:

Torval said:

I don't care about your neutral context that you're implying is more insightful. I live here. I have family all over the region. I'm just relating my perspective from experience. There is no neutral perspective. That's a lie told by people trying to sell their own perspective as the right one.

That's a lie told by people trying to sell their own perspective as the right one. ;-)

Yup, the "truth" is whichever version of reality conforms most comfortably to your own bias, lol

And thanks to the wonders of the internet, finding "the real truth" is easier than ever before...
    jimmywolf
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Lots of posts and this game doesn't even come out until March 27th. This should be interesting to play when it comes out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    I really wish someone who has had access to it, would showcase the stealth aspect of the game. Can you stealth in and takedown them quietly... if so, showcase it damnit. We keep seeing all these guns a blazing videos. Show something different!
    Octagon7711infomatz

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I really wish someone who has had access to it, would showcase the stealth aspect of the game. Can you stealth in and takedown them quietly... if so, showcase it damnit. We keep seeing all these guns a blazing videos. Show something different!

The Far Cry series has always featured stealth gameplay as well as guns blazing style and a cross in between. You can play anyway you want to. That is one of the beauties of the their games. 

That is not quite true. The first Far Cry was a stealth survival game by Crytek. You wouldn't do well with a run and gun approach, which was discouraged by design (such as weapons jamming/breaking). By the time FarCry 3 rolled around, the design changed to be more "run and gun" aka guns a blazing. The reason for this is largely due to the publisher (who bought the IP back around 2006) being influenced by other shooters at the time, and also the fact that most of the lead designers left after Farcry 2.

Where stealth survivalism was the focus at the start, the focus turned to open world shootem up game after, with FC3 and beyond having the most significant change. Its this reason Farcry 3 and beyond started being heavily criticized by some of original fanbase.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I am part of that original fanbase. I disagree with you ;)
    And you assume I am not? Haha. If you disagree that FC1 was designed to be a stealth survival game, I question whether or not you have played or at least remember Far Cry 1.

Anyways, I am not the only one who understands the shift in design that occurred. Example:

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Why does that guy in the something isn't right video sound like he is out of breathe?
    No you really could not run and gun your way through Farcry 1. Doing so in an enemy base would be suicide. The series was not always about such gameplay, it started off completely different. Now you could like the direction it went, or you can hate it. I simply do not care either way on that front. The change in gameplay, the selling of the IP to Ubisoft, the lead developers leaving... all these are objective facts which cannot really be denied. It would be simply disingenuous to claim that the first game let you play "guns a blazing", if you were not utilizing cover or luring enemies away you would be killed.

By FC3 you were, as the video puts it, a super soldier.  If you wish to insist that Farcry as a franchise was all about "guns a blazing" then I'll just have to agree to disagree with you, because we apparently experienced two completely different games.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited March 2018
    Personal crusade eh? Pointing out Farcry 1 is different some how connotes a personal crusade? That is a bit... hyperbolic. The rest of your post is pure projection.

However... that's fine, put me on ignore. Safe spaces are better that way. Can't have that pesky counter data getting in the way. :D

Asheram said:
    Why does that guy in the something isn't right video sound like he is out of breathe?
    No idea, but I'm torn between it being either due to wearing tight underpants or being held at gun point. On a more serious note, could be the choice and distance in mic. Some people get like that when they have to project loudly.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2018

jitter77 said:

I love the original Farcry and Farcry 3 is one of my favorite games.  I could not get into 4 that much and I never tried primal.  I will  be ordering the gold edition of 5 though.  I love the setting and seems like the villians will be good.  I have been looking forward to it since it has been announced.

Farcry 4 was by far my favorite, mostly for the characterization, especially of the villain. He's this metro-sexual drug-kingpin that may or may not really want you dead, and radios you to randomly chit chat while your off doing missions.

I especially love how that, in the very beginning, when he takes off your blindfold for dinner, but then leaves and asks you to just wait a little while and he will be right back- if you actually do just wait for some time, instead of just naturally moving around and exploring as you do in video games, he comes back and helps you succeed in your mission and the game ends. That is too funny to me. Plus there's this extremely weird psychedelic part in a cave with this shadow creatures that happens late in the game. It's unlike most of the game and tripped me out.

jitter77 said:

I love the original Farcry and Farcry 3 is one of my favorite games.  I could not get into 4 that much and I never tried primal.  I will  be ordering the gold edition of 5 though.  I love the setting and seems like the villians will be good.  I have been looking forward to it since it has been announced.

Farcry 4 was by far my favorite, mostly for the characterization, especially of the villain. He's this metro-sexual drug-kingpin that may or may not really want you dead, and radios you to randomly chit chat while your off doing missions.

I especially love how that, in the very beginning, when he takes off your blindfold for dinner, but then leaves and asks you to just wait a little while and he will be right back- if you actually do just wait for some time, instead of just naturally moving around and exploring as you do in video games, he comes back and helps you succeed in your mission and the game ends. That is too funny to me. Plus there's this extremely weird psychedelic part in a cave with this shadow creatures that happens late in the game. It's unlike most of the game and tripped me out.
    Is it like the weird psychedelic part in Far Cry 3?

The Far Cry series has always featured stealth gameplay as well as guns blazing style and a cross in between. You can play anyway you want to. That is one of the beauties of the their games. 

I know that. I've played basically all of them but I want to see it showcased in these videos since its a new Far Cry title. Are the animations exactly the same as they've been the last few Far cry games or have they evolved/updated the takedown animations, is what I want to see/hear about.
  • Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37

Asheram said:

It's because I'm fat.

And I was trying to record 15ish minutes of content in a short period of time on a lunch break.
    [Deleted User]Iselinbartoni33
  • Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited March 2018

What I want to know more than anything is how is it that these guys that review games, so are incredibly bad at them? I mean most reviewers I see play a game in their review, are horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible at playing them.

On a side note, why don't any of these ppl who review this game showcase the hand to hand combat, the stealthy side of things instead of guns a blazing style gameplay.

I appreciate your critique on my FPS prowess or lack thereof. You're right - I'm pretty bad at them, but I have fun - that is what's important to me. This is why I typically stay out of the competitive arena for more skill individuals (perhaps, like yourself) to enjoy themselves in.

Might I offer a little insight? I would hate for you to be ignorant.

I am a volunteer - like most of the staff here. It just so happens that I enjoy video games and writing. While it seems like a glorious existence and that we must be paragons of the gaming, none of us claim expert status nor do we have the luxury of specializing on specific genres of games. Events like this provide a limited exposure to the content at hand. In this case, it was 90 minutes of hands on play with only 50 of that being recorded content. Not a lot of time for mastery when you are taking in game systems, noting mechanics, and critiquing the delivery of all of the elements.

As a volunteer, the time to fly out to this event, write and record a script, sift through relevant video clips, and edit it down is all on whatever spare time I have - sometimes that's a lunch break. And I freely offer that to you and I do it gladly - for the love of the medium. You don't have to like what I present to you or how the content is presented. You're entitled to your opinion.

Yes, there is a benefit of writing reviews and attending events like this that can be involved (i.e. travel/meal/event coverage, access to games/hardware), but it is voluntary all the same. My family and my full time job pay the price in the finite resource of my time for me to be away in order to provide content... and I am not alone in that. The management of MMORPG.com tirelessly provides a platform for people who have a love for games and a desire to share that joy with people.

We may not be the best and I don't ask that you to withdraw your opinion, but I would encourage you to consider this information.

You are now no longer ignorant. May you be judged as with the same measure that you use on others.
    Post edited by Pastor_Dame on
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]IselinAsherambartoni33

What I want to know more than anything is how is it that these guys that review games, so are incredibly bad at them? I mean most reviewers I see play a game in their review, are horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible at playing them.

On a side note, why don't any of these ppl who review this game showcase the hand to hand combat, the stealthy side of things instead of guns a blazing style gameplay.

I appreciate your critique on my FPS prowess or lack thereof. You're right - I'm pretty bad at them, but I have fun - that is what's important to me. This is why I typically stay out of the competitive arena for more skill individuals (perhaps, like yourself) to enjoy themselves in.

Might I offer a little insight? I would hate for you to be ignorant.

I am a volunteer - like most of the staff here. It just so happens that I enjoy video games and writing. While it seems like a glorious existence and that we must be paragons of the gaming, none of us claim expert status nor do we have the luxury of specializing on specific genres of games. Events like this provide a limited exposure to the content at hand. In this case, it was 90 minutes of hands on play with only 50 of that being recorded content. Not a lot of time for mastery when you are taking in game systems, noting mechanics, and critiquing the delivery of all of the elements.

As a volunteer, the time to fly out to this event, write and record a script, sift through relevant video clips, and edit it down is all on whatever spare time I have - sometimes that's a lunch break. And I freely offer that to you and I do it gladly - for the love of the medium. You don't have to like what I present to you or how the content is presented. You're entitled to your opinion.

Yes, there is a benefit of writing reviews and attending events like this that can be involved (i.e. travel/meal/event coverage, access to games/hardware), but it is voluntary all the same. My family and my full time job pay the price in the finite resource of my time for me to be away in order to provide content... and I am not alone in that. The management of MMORPG.com tirelessly provides a platform for people who have a love for games and a desire to share that joy with people.

We may not be the best and I don't ask that you to withdraw your opinion, but I would encourage you to consider this information.

You are now no longer ignorant. May you be judged as with the same measure that you use on others.
    You know what, I apologize if my comments came off as being an asshole.  I didn't mean it by any means, I am just surprised of the skill level of some of these "reviewers", hell even some developers skill level surprises me when they're horrible at their own game.  I'm just surprised is all.  Didnt mean any harm by it.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited March 2018
    TIL: People will defend cult leader violent dogmatic pedophile rapists in order to demonstrate that the gubmint is bad mmmkay?

Asheram said:

It's because I'm fat.

And I was trying to record 15ish minutes of content in a short period of time on a lunch break.
    I am sorry I didn't mean you I meant the guy in this video someone else linked.

[Deleted User]DataDay