Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studio "mortified" that folks are using their pay to reserve a name system to "troll" other players

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Ungood said:
    Costanius said:
    In CoE high level backers like Kings and Dukes won't keep their position and title for long if they don't manage to build a community of supporting players around and with them.
    You won't be able to be a King or Duke just alone for yourself, just sitting on Your virtual throne and feeling great about yourself! The feudalsim-like political system of CoE will put hundreds, if not thousands of players below You and You'll be responsible to actively manage, organize, protect and support them, deal with their wishes, needs, issues and complaints.

So what almost all of the kings and dukes and counts were doing since they pledged was recruiting and trying to build a community and to get future mayors, residents and followers. To be successful in this You need management, social and leadership skills. Kings and Dukes also need to build a reputation and need to invest a lot of time to build and grow their community.

So I can understand that SBS was not expecting this trolling behaviour from one of the top tier backers because that action would ruin his reputation in the whole community and probably among his followers. And if You invested a big amount of money You probably better not pi** off the developers because they could ban You or punish You in many ways. Which could get You in trouble with Your own community that You might have built already.

I would have expected such behaviour from players who haven't invested much so they won't loose much and who are not really interested in the game.
    One would expect that high level backers and the developers are on the same side and generally have an alignment of interest and I'm still sure that most Kings and Dukes care about their reputation. Many of them have indeed already invested a lot of time and effort in building their kingdoms and duchies, growing their communities, writing lore, interacting and communicating.

So I can understand SBS got surprised and wasn't expecting this from a high level backer because of the above mentioned reasons.

But they reacted appropriately, adapted to the situation and made clear that they don't tolerate that, that they enforce their rules regardless of how much money somebody pledged!
    So what?

This is a really good point, that the higher the back the more they have to lose from rule violation, so it would come as a shock they would be the ones to do this kind of thing.
    Some people value their $50 more than others value their $1000
    Measuring someones "dedication" based on the value of their purchases has a proven history of being a bad predictor.  Not to mention that some of those who put more money into the game will rapidly turn to be the biggest trolls (burn it to the ground!) when things don't go their way.

MendelKyleranAshyLarry24

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    The taken name was Maulvorn. And if you knew anything about him you wouldn't shed a tear for him.

Slapshot1188OrangeBoyYashaX
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Dakeru said:
    Costanius said:
    In CoE high level backers like Kings and Dukes won't keep their position and title for long if they don't manage to build a community of supporting players around and with them.
    You won't be able to be a King or Duke just alone for yourself, just sitting on Your virtual throne and feeling great about yourself! The feudalsim-like political system of CoE will put hundreds, if not thousands of players below You and You'll be responsible to actively manage, organize, protect and support them, deal with their wishes, needs, issues and complaints.

So what almost all of the kings and dukes and counts were doing since they pledged was recruiting and trying to build a community and to get future mayors, residents and followers. To be successful in this You need management, social and leadership skills. Kings and Dukes also need to build a reputation and need to invest a lot of time to build and grow their community.

So I can understand that SBS was not expecting this trolling behaviour from one of the top tier backers because that action would ruin his reputation in the whole community and probably among his followers. And if You invested a big amount of money You probably better not pi** off the developers because they could ban You or punish You in many ways. Which could get You in trouble with Your own community that You might have built already.

I would have expected such behaviour from players who haven't invested much so they won't loose much and who are not really interested in the game.
    One would expect that high level backers and the developers are on the same side and generally have an alignment of interest and I'm still sure that most Kings and Dukes care about their reputation. Many of them have indeed already invested a lot of time and effort in building their kingdoms and duchies, growing their communities, writing lore, interacting and communicating.

So I can understand SBS got surprised and wasn't expecting this from a high level backer because of the above mentioned reasons.

But they reacted appropriately, adapted to the situation and made clear that they don't tolerate that, that they enforce their rules regardless of how much money somebody pledged!
    So what?

Reminds me of a game which development I followed some years ago.
    There were promised 3 classes, where the outstanding one was the politician, who would use resources to craft customized quests for the soldier from which both would benefit.. and of course the merchant class to round things up.

The reality when things went into beta were class free characters with 3 basic stabbing moves and only 2 playable maps.
    Nothing from the original plans to run the game on abstract player made quests could be realized.

Want to bet with me if any of the political kingdom rule mumbo jumbo you just named will make it into the actual game?

Not to mention the idea that people will only follow a good and caring king is absolutely absurd.
    Ask @Kyleran about the structures and behaviors of the goons.
    Well, to your point, while many players / corporations in EVE revile the Goons and would never join them, many willingly allied with them when necessary to fight a common enemy. (Listening to their fleet chat was so painful at times)

Enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that.

I recall one alliance I was in willingly assisted the Goons defeat the Russian "Red Army" only to have the Goons wheel around and attack us because we wouldn't surrender some high level moons that we captured during the war back to them. (Huge resource nodes)

Oh, we haven't even addressed the impact to games when Russian, Chinese, Korean or Brazilian players "invade" a game as they frequently play as a single power block and in more than one game its turned into everyone on the server banding against the "foreign horde."   

Dakeru

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I couldn't agree more with the stance yall are taking. +1 rep
    Interitus said:
    The taken name was Maulvorn. And if you knew anything about him you wouldn't shed a tear for him.

Proving my point, he's a high level backer that apparently a significant number of the current player base dislike for some reason, but the Devs from COE appear obligated to protect him from their ire and misdeeds.

Sounds like his kingdom isn't long for the world once the game launches, well, unless of course he decides to call in some friends like the Goons.  (perhaps he already is one?)

EponyxDamor

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Interitus said:

Well since this is a pile of drama and bullshit.. might as well give us the cliff notes version of why this guy is so bad.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Kyleran said:
    Interitus said:

Proving my point, he's a high level backer that apparently a significant number of the current player base dislike for some reason, but the Devs from COE appear obligated to protect him from their ire and misdeeds.

But the devs must enforce same rules to everyone. It doesn't matter whether the victim was devil or saint, it's either a form of PvP that's allowed or it's a form of PvP that's disallowed.
    Ungood

Some people value their $50 more than others value their $1000
    Measuring someones "dedication" based on the value of their purchases has a proven history of being a bad predictor.  Not to mention that some of those who put more money into the game will rapidly turn to be the biggest trolls (burn it to the ground!) when things don't go their way.
    and your proof of this is where?
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Costanius said:

So what?

Lets see what effect this has on the high level backers reputation...  And how long he gets to keep holding on to the advantages he purchased before just guessing that bad behavior in the game will be punished. 

Look at Goons as an example, many people flock to that kind of game play and they built one of the strongest groups in Eve based on bad behavior. 

If it was so easy to lose a kingdom as you suggest, why would people pay so much to own them?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Interitus said:

But the devs must enforce same rules to everyone. It doesn't matter whether the victim was devil or saint, it's either a form of PvP that's allowed or it's a form of PvP that's disallowed.
    Is it?  So does this mean that everyone’s forum name is now protected?  And again, if that is the case then why monetize it and allow those with the most points to select first? 

I’m totally fine if they want to say people’s names are reserved based on their forum persona, but then don’t sell Surname Registration.  Either it’s intrinsic or it isn’t.  Otherwise they are selling something with zero value and a false description. 

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AshyLarry24AshyLarry24 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    They have completely backed off the forum name being binding in any way for good reason.  

1.  THey had originally suggested people to name your accounts different from your character name, so you can separate your in game identity from your OOC identity.  

2. This is unfair to the people who have higher IP, and defeats the purpose of this whole thing.

I'm fine with them stepping in, on specific situations, but using this as a blanket rule would be stupid.  I'm not Maulvorn's biggest fan, but his name being taken is obviously a troll.  But there have already been complaints from people with too common of names, and those people are just going to have to deal with it IMO.

So their decision to take this as a case by case situation is to me the best solution.  
    They have completely backed off the forum name being binding in any way for good reason.  

1.  THey had originally suggested people to name your accounts different from your character name, so you can separate your in game identity from your OOC identity.  

2. This is unfair to the people who have higher IP, and defeats the purpose of this whole thing.

I'm fine with them stepping in, on specific situations, but using this as a blanket rule would be stupid.  I'm not Maulvorn's biggest fan, but his name being taken is obviously a troll.  But there have already been complaints from people with too common of names, and those people are just going to have to deal with it IMO.

So their decision to take this as a case by case situation is to me the best solution.  
    This reminds me of another game I played, where your Official Form ID had nothing to do with your IG ID, and names were server specific, so,individuals on each server, could all take the same name, and have no relation to each other.

Well.. I decided in my infinite wisdom to go server by server and secure my forum name, until I discovered that my name was already taken on several servers, so I made some other name.. and sent them all Mail, asking how they liked being me.. 

Needless to say.. as you can tell by my stellar personality and willingness to call an asshole an asshole, many did not.

Some took the name not knowing anything about my forum presence, others, took the name purely out of spite, and tried to discredit me on that server. One guy even admitted that he took my forum name in the hopes that someday I would come to their server and ask to buy it., and even cited me an outlandish price. I turned down their generous offer and told them they could keep it with my best wishes, but that I would claim it was still me.

Keep in mind, this kind of douche-baggery was going on, in a Purely PvE game.

So.. with that put out, I think SBS needs to take a point on how they want names to work in their game. Since I imagine that names will be server locked, IE: Exclusive to only one server, given how the game is set up, they could very easy, stop this kind of trolling, by locking the names to specific servers, IE: Ungood the form member has chosen Server "Orwell", as such, no one on Orwell can take the name Ungood, other then Ungood from the Forums. But on all other servers, the name is open game.

So they need to figure out how they want things to roll, since this game will not be "mega-server" or even cross server populations, this has it's own benefits and drawbacks.

In the end.. they need to sort these things out. Personally, I think they should have done a Server Choice First.. and THEN a Name.
    Kyleran

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Indeed, why give it to players for free when you could sell it to them instead ? :wink:
    Slapshot1188AshyLarry24
    Alomar said:
    Ungood said:
    Alomar said:
    "Games are all about bringing happiness to others" 

As a hardcore pvper that is not why I play games, sure I want my friends, groupmates, and guildies to be happy, but only while we're crushing our enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women. 
    Just gonna ask this question, to give you something to think about.

Did it ever occur to you that if your opponent if not having fun facing you and yours, they would move on to another game, which means, Your victory simply ends up killing a game you enjoyed playing because everyone else left.

Seems like a Pyrrhic victory if you ask me.

Your confusing ganking/toxic behavior with pvp in general. If that's how you feel and view pvp then your most likely the average mmo pve'er whose main involvement in pvp is being attacked/ganked unwillingly in pve leveling zones where you almost always are at a disadvantage. Me, and everyone I know and play with would never be there and could care less about killing you. 

I'm talking about end-game open world pvp, specifically open world rvr, where guilds fight other guilds and huge forces combine where everyone is a pvper and they've all made the conscious decision to be in this pvp location. 

This is the exact same type of derogatory statements and claims made in significant quantities by the average mmo pve'er against the average mmo pvp'er, we are not gankers and could care less about killing pve'ers.
    Well, lets start off.

You could not be more wrong about me, if you tried.

I play and enjoy RvR, and have enjoyed it since DAoC came out, and am looking forward to inflicting some serious death and mayhem upon my opponents when CU and CF come out, I currently play an MOBA's because I enjoy the fights, the challenge, and the thrill of PvP combat.

With that put out, would you Care to take a guess how many times I have been T-bagged, witnessed hacks and cheats, and dealt with all kinds of trash talking, in my last match alone (Which is what I am doing between posts)? You could try for a guess at my next match as well.. should queue soon.

In GW2's Open World WvWvW maps, there were guilds with names like "We will make you cry" (Their tag is XOXO if you wanna look them up in GW2) that would roam around looking to kill smaller groups, and solo players, and many of these guilds would guard camps just to tag that flipper.

So spare me any noble ideology you think PvP has, I play that mode extensively as well.

I am not some PvE player that got ganked, I am one of those GvG players, duelist, and Zerg/Blob players, that spend damn near 60% of my game time in PvP fields, knowing exactly what I was walking into.

There is a massive portion of PvP players that are total assholes, that could not be happier then if they made someone quit the game crying,.

You coming here and denying this obvious truth, just makes you look like clueless player that has lived in a bubble, most likely protected by your guild mates, or has never really PvPed in their life.. with the off chance that you just live in denial.

And is this protection limited to his name?  When people go and squat on his land and rip it apart will Caspien step in to rescue him?  When people kill him and his followers repeatedly, will Caspien step in?

That's the bigger question and much more important than a name.  If Caspien is "mortified" that someone would use the name Maulvorn... how is he going to react when they can actually ruin this guys game?

The trigger for reserving names in game was stated to be this registration system.  It was what would lock down your name.  Not what you decided to name yourself on a forum.

Caspien has now chosen to change that rule (after collecting money of course).

How will he react when hostile people plop down in this guys town during land selection?  How will he react when they spend the first few weeks of Exposition destroying everything this guy owns in game?   It's going to happen unless Caspien steps in.  Groups have been quite vocal about it.  And if he does step in, will he do it for all the other people that feel wronged?

Will he step in when some King "abuses" his power on day one?  If one of them caused this "mortifying" name situation, just think of how much trouble is in store once there is an actual game.   

KyleranmystichazeYashaX

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Slapshot1188 said:

How will he react when hostile people plop down in this guys town during land selection?  How will he react when they spend the first few weeks of Exposition destroying everything this guy owns in game? 

Why should he react at all ?

The sale of high-priced advantages is supposed to end at launch, so there'll be nothing to gain from protecting the whales and their assets. "Devil take the hindmost" and all that...

And is this protection limited to his name?  When people go and squat on his land and rip it apart will Caspien step in to rescue him?  When people kill him and his followers repeatedly, will Caspien step in?

That's the bigger question and much more important than a name.  If Caspien is "mortified" that someone would use the name Maulvorn... how is he going to react when they can actually ruin this guys game?

The trigger for reserving names in game was stated to be this registration system.  It was what would lock down your name.  Not what you decided to name yourself on a forum.

How will he react when hostile people plop down in this guys town during land selection?  How will he react when they spend the first few weeks of Exposition destroying everything this guy owns in game?   It's going to happen unless Caspien steps in.  Groups have been quite vocal about it.  And if he does step in, will he do it for all the other people that feel wronged?

Will he step in when some King "abuses" his power on day one?  If one of them caused this "mortifying" name situation, just think of how much trouble is in store once there is an actual game.   

Especially during the 3 month head start period when backers are to be building a wonderful world for everyone to live in.
    Slapshot1188

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    kitarad said:
    There are so many ways that players can completely make playing a miserable experience for other players that the developers in their wildest imaginations never even thought of. Managing a game like this is going to be so taxing unless they adopt the attitude that people don't play fair and that they will do ever sneaky nasty thing they can because they can. So either you put restrictions or let it evolve and go where it might and hope that the players form some sort of balance other PvP games manage but for that to succeed you need a good number of people playing. I don't see that in the future of this game given the controversies surrounding it.
    Someone said they are going after heavy role play type of PvP but fail to realize that a lot of people just see 'open world PvP' and take it from there, which probably includes some heavy backers.  It would be nice if PvP were honorable but playing in games with open world PvP I can say there are a lot of people who are in it for the ganking and those few can ruin it for everyone and just move on to the next game when the current has become a ghost town.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Interitus said:

This guy? https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22182/maulvorns-kingdom-campaign-kingdom-of-maulvorn
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    Interitus said:

This guy? https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/22182/maulvorns-kingdom-campaign-kingdom-of-maulvorn
    Yup

edited March 2018

In situations as blatantly obvious as this yes, but no not for most.  This was so blatant.  THe guy who did it was one of the highest influenced members and he stole one of the more infamous persons name, with obvious troll intentions. Maulvorn (formerly known as Zultra) has a very checkered past and is probably the most hated member of the community.

But for most situations absolutely not.  THere have already been other people that have their name taken, and they've been told they're gonna have to deal with it.  So if you feel wronged that's unfortunate, but unless there is solid proof of the troll then no.
    Interitus said:

Yup
    He seems like a stand up honest guy willing to admit his mistakes.. no wonder gamers hate him.

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Ungood said:
    Interitus said:

Well since this is a pile of drama and bullshit.. might as well give us the cliff notes version of why this guy is so bad.

Well here is the long version of his first failed kingdom. (he tried a second failed venture) . The Kingdom of Maulvorn mentioned above his now his third attempt.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/9467/chronicle-the-fall-of-zygethia
    He went by Zultra during that time, which is why you will see that name used.

The short version is he creates and surrounds himself in drama and then plays the victim card.  He was actually fairly popular but burned up all his goodwill.

Interitus said:
    Ungood said:
    Interitus said:

Well here is the long version of his first failed kingdom. (he tried a second failed venture) . The Kingdom of Maulvorn mentioned above his now his third attempt.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/9467/chronicle-the-fall-of-zygethia
    He went by Zultra during that time, which is why you will see that name used.

The short version is he creates and surrounds himself in drama and then plays the victim card.  He was actually fairly popular but burned up all his goodwill.

Well not sure how accurate that re-telling was, but from that quick read it seems like the problem was not him directly, but those around him that needed to be a drama-queens and cause strife.

Personally, he needs to be a bigger asshole to play this game, instead he's been trying to be accommodating, and it's turning him into a Pariah.

As it stands, nothing to see here but trolls being trolls to this poor bastard.. 

I personally don't have a problem with him, but I'll just say there are very good reasons why people don't like Maulvorn, and leave it at that.  Guy gets enough shit thrown his way on the CoE website, no need to add to it here.