Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Systems Go for March 27th Launch, Physical Rewards Need to be Confirmed - Shroud of the Avatar -

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAll Systems Go for March 27th Launch, Physical Rewards Need to be Confirmed - Shroud of the Avatar - MMORPG.com

Shroud of the Avatar News - The latest Shroud of the Avatar newsletter has been published with lots of news including the March 27th release of Update 52 well underway. In addition, backers who should be receiving physical goods pertinent to their backer level have until March 9th to fill out the required forms to ensure their items arrive on time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LuftwaffenLuftwaffen Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I would be excited for this game .... but the travel system is kinda lame and the combat card system kinda ruins it ..... I guess UO being my favorite MMO I expected more from Richard garriot UO must have been a fluke lol
    some-clueless-guyIce-QueenAgent_JosephJamesGoblin
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I'm surprised this is still going to release.  It's been a monumental failure from the beginning.
    darkheartsIce-QueenAlomarAgent_JosephJamesGoblin
  • MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56
    they need to release it to say they released it and then they will close it probably :)
    Whiteshade92MikehaLeguma11darkheartsIce-QueenAlomarwingoodinfomatzJamesGoblin
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    I don't get how this is about to release when they haven't wiped player data in over 1 year? 
    Ice-Queenbcbully
  • Whiteshade92Whiteshade92 Member UncommonPosts: 95

Malasorte said:

they need to release it to say they released it and then they will close it probably :)

Can't agree more!
    LeFantomeLeguma11Ice-QueenJamesGoblin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I don't get how this is about to release when they haven't wiped player data in over 1 year? 
    Release these days is just a patch that's marketed extra heavily.
    Octagon7711KyleranPhaserlightJamesGoblin

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Release these days is just a patch that's marketed extra heavily.
    Can't wait for the official reviews to come in, I predict it will be glorious.

The ONLY game I've regretted backing, and I've backed the Repopulation.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchieLeFantomeborghive49Ice-QueenAlomarinfomatzJamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

It now seems the norm to allow people who have supported a game with cash to keep any advantages they have got after launch.

The issues with that are obvious, but increasingly cash shops MMOs seem to be designed around the whales.
    SpottyGekkoLeFantome
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I enjoy the game. More open ended gameplay than the majority of MMPRPGs out there without being a PVP gank fest. The crafting is deep and crafted items are useful. There are plenty of people playing. It's not perfect but it's better than anything out right now imo.
    VoidfarerLeFantomeLeguma11Ice-QueenBrugas
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    edited March 2018

I enjoy the game. More open ended gameplay than the majority of MMPRPGs out there without being a PVP gank fest. The crafting is deep and crafted items are useful. There are plenty of people playing. It's not perfect but it's better than anything out right now imo.

Really ? There are plenty of people playing ? Did you see the numbers somewhere? Because the devs refused to show it.
    There is mmmmaaaybe 300 players playing this crap.
    Leguma11Ice-Queen

Lol, I see them when I'm playing. Did I hit a nerve?
    Brugas

Thank you, you're proving my point.
    KyleranIce-QueenAlomar

edited March 2018

LeFantome said:

Your point being that you have an abnormal hatred for a video game and are trying to turn my opinion post about a game into a debate over numbers? That's all I took from your post.
    LeFantomeLeguma11AlomarBrugasVerenath
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    LeFantome said:

Really ? There are plenty of people playing ? Did you see the numbers somewhere? Because the devs refused to show it.
    There is mmmmaaaybe 300 players playing this crap.
    Every time I log in it is a ghost town. 
    LeFantomeLeguma11Ice-QueenAlomar
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Scot said:

It now seems the norm to allow people who have supported a game with cash to keep any advantages they have got after launch.

The issues with that are obvious, but increasingly cash shops MMOs seem to be designed around the whales.

I'd say designed around increasing profits. Also a lot of people who spend lots of money on these types of games are scraping by and some even work extra hours to be able to afford their hobby. Some see stuff and buy it and worry about paying the bills later.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

So they're not wiping beta progress on March 27? If that's the case, then the real release happened after the last wipe.
    LeFantomeborghive49KyleranIce-QueenAlomarinfomatzScotNildenPemmin
    --------------------------------------------

LeFantome said:

Your point being that you have an abnormal hatred for a video game and are trying to turn my opinion post about a game into a debate over numbers? That's all I took from your post.

You're still don't have anything proving your comments. When everyone else knows how empty the game is. The devs are doing the same as you ,they don't answer any questions about the population. Cheers!

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178

LeFantome said:

LeFantome said:

You're still don't have anything proving your comments. When everyone else knows how empty the game is. The devs are doing the same as you ,they don't answer any questions about the population. Cheers!

And YOU don't have any proof either, and do you know everyone btw lol
    ElirionLothLeFantomeVerenath

LeFantome said:

LeFantome said:

My comments were my opinions. I didn't give any 'facts' that I had to prove. By plenty I meant enough people playing for me to group with, keep the economy moving, and for me to enjoy the game. No numbers expressed or implied. You are just trying to twist what I said into something you can rant against. You appear to have some personal issue with the game. Maybe you should talk with someone about that.
    VoidfarersschruppBrugas

Voidfarer said:

LeFantome said:

LeFantome said:

Very funny that he is using anecdotal evidence then insisting everyone else prove their assertions/opinions with facts. Good catch.
    LeFantomeBrugas

Voidfarer said:

LeFantome said:

LeFantome said:

Very funny that he is using anecdotal evidence then insisting everyone else prove their assertions/opinions with facts. Good catch.

Good point !!
    esc-joconnorVoidfarer

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I've seen a couple players the times I tried it, but that was before the ongoing free trial they introduced. The extra freedom that exists now may have led more to give it a go. I did see there was enough interest for some to be complaining about scarcity related to their non-instanced housing system. I don't know how much of that is available though, so it's hard to judge by that.

I'm not all that surprised, though. The game does some things differently than the majority of MMORPGs these days, and for all the complaining about the genre being stale there don't seem to be all that many that want to explore afield. It isn't all that cutting edge aesthetically either, so some will be turned off by that from the start.

I'll check it out again seeing as it is supposed to be ready for release.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'm still trying to understand what it means for this game to be "released."

As pointed out, the last wipe was over a year ago, so what makes March 27th special in any way really?

Just another day right?

Ice-QueenBruceYee[Deleted User]Benezetta

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited March 2018
    I havent seen any mention of WHEN they will start shipping the physical goods out yet. I expect after their release since since judging by their seedinvest numbers it looked like they were going broke. Maybe their investors or RG is footin the bill on em who knows. Every other game pre-ordered that had physical goods, you received them the day it release.

So they're not wiping beta progress on March 27? If that's the case, then the real release happened after the last wipe.

Right they had a last wipe over a year ago, they don't plan on wiping for release.

Kyleran said:

I'm still trying to understand what it means for this game to be "released."

As pointed out, the last wipe was over a year ago, so what makes March 27th special in any way really?

Just another day right?

I guess it's a chance for them to try and get new people to try it out even though they've had a free trial of some kind for a good long time now but like you said it's been persistent for over a year now so people can decide for themself what that means to them. Anyone that wanted it already bought it or tried it by now I bet. Nothing special is comin with this "release". I tried to hop back in see if it had changed much in about year and half that i last played, I played it for bout 3 hours is all i could take. It still has crap card flippin combat, combat animations are generic look, instanced zones out the wazoo yeah loading screens baby! Like all the time. The character creation is pitiful. The story flat out sucks. I saw they just moved a lot of their store stuff to in game on vendors for cotos to try and make their shop not look so offputting, good luck ever gettin a coto to drop some people say they been playing for dozens and hudreds hours still never seen one drop. This game is a wreck. I def think peeps should play their free trial before they buy it, its not for everyone.
  • BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115
    HUGE of fan Garriott's previous works, especially his Ultima games - I even loved the "failed projects" like Ultima VIII and Tabula Rasa. Had spent ALOT of money backing Shroud of the Avatar, and I have to say, I have been very, very, disappointed thus far.

I've been in the game a few times, but have been very, very, unimpressed with everything that I've seen. Everything felt very unpolished and clunky. I chalked it up to the game being in alpha/early beta, but seeing how little change I have seen ingame since its early days, and seeing how close they are to "releasing"... Anyways I didn't like how they keep pushing for players to play the game during early access, with all the exclusive rewards, and all the housing lot allocations and such. And yeah I have seen a bunch of other players, but pretty much all of them were AFK-skill-spam-leveling... wasn't impressed. The travel system was horrible; the world felt empty and generic; and combat was clunky and not fun to play.

I'll check back in after it's been "released", but not holding out hope for improvements. We shall see I guess?
    LeFantomeIce-QueenJamesGoblin