Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studio "mortified" that folks are using their pay to reserve a name system to "troll" other players

Comments

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Yeah I don't think it was a matter of it happening but more so by who and the extent it happened. Doesn't surprise me as someone who enjoys pvp games, this of course would happen lol. I do have to wonder, this top tier backer.. was it slap?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:
    This isn't naivety, this is either showmanship of extreme retardation or purely intentional. If he thought this format of reservation was not gonna have any trolls, then I believe he needs a psych evaluation.

Though more than likely this was probably intentional, and was done so to prove their average high-roller needs that psych evaluation.

Although, according to ancient philosophers such as Plato and Socrates, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that both instances are true. 
    I think what really surprised them was that a top tier backer would pull such a move.

Why would that surprise them ?

Being a "top tier backer" only indicates how much money a player is prepared to spend on a game. It says nothing more, and most definitely does not imply a certain level of moral integrity, lol
    Their whole premise of selling Kingdoms and titles and vast perks like resources etc.. is all based on the idea that those buying them are doing so for the betterment of those who who will follow.
    KyleranMadFrenchieDakeru

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:
    This isn't naivety, this is either showmanship of extreme retardation or purely intentional. If he thought this format of reservation was not gonna have any trolls, then I believe he needs a psych evaluation.

Though more than likely this was probably intentional, and was done so to prove their average high-roller needs that psych evaluation.

Although, according to ancient philosophers such as Plato and Socrates, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that both instances are true. 
    I think what really surprised them was that a top tier backer would pull such a move.

Being a "top tier backer" only indicates how much money a player is prepared to spend on a game. It says nothing more, and most definitely does not imply a certain level of moral integrity, lol
    Their whole premise of selling Kingdoms and titles and vast perks like resources etc.. is all based on the idea that those buying them are doing so for the betterment of those who who will follow.
    and here I took it as, "The more you spend the more you give a shit"

not that they give a shit about the other players.. fuck those guys.. but at least care about their own money spent and want a better environment for them to rule with an iron fist.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    Alomar said:
    "Games are all about bringing happiness to others" 

As a hardcore pvper that is not why I play games, sure I want my friends, groupmates, and guildies to be happy, but only while we're crushing our enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women. 
    Just gonna ask this question, to give you something to think about.

Did it ever occur to you that if your opponent if not having fun facing you and yours, they would move on to another game, which means, Your victory simply ends up killing a game you enjoyed playing because everyone else left.

Seems like a Pyrrhic victory if you ask me.
    Is that the PVPers dream? They are such badass they force everyone else to leave the game leaving them all alone as the victor?
    Oh Hell yah!

Nothing would make a PvP junkie happier then knowing they beat someone so badly that they rage quit or quit the game crying.

That is why they Trash Talk, T-bag, and use cheat programs.

Too bad they are too obsessed with stroking their own e-peen to even take a moment to realize the ramifications of their actions. Like for example, playing Eternal Crusade, the only enjoyable part of knowing that no matter who wins, a bunch of cheaters lost.
    YashaX
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Welcome to open world PvP.  I has begun...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RiceJohnsonRiceJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 3
    sjw of Elyria
    YashaX
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Ungood said:
    Alomar said:
    "Games are all about bringing happiness to others" 

As a hardcore pvper that is not why I play games, sure I want my friends, groupmates, and guildies to be happy, but only while we're crushing our enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women. 
    Just gonna ask this question, to give you something to think about.

Did it ever occur to you that if your opponent if not having fun facing you and yours, they would move on to another game, which means, Your victory simply ends up killing a game you enjoyed playing because everyone else left.

Seems like a Pyrrhic victory if you ask me.

Your confusing ganking/toxic behavior with pvp in general. If that's how you feel and view pvp then your most likely the average mmo pve'er whose main involvement in pvp is being attacked/ganked unwillingly in pve leveling zones where you almost always are at a disadvantage. Me, and everyone I know and play with would never be there and could care less about killing you. 

I'm talking about end-game open world pvp, specifically open world rvr, where guilds fight other guilds and huge forces combine where everyone is a pvper and they've all made the conscious decision to be in this pvp location. 

This is the exact same type of derogatory statements and claims made in significant quantities by the average mmo pve'er against the average mmo pvp'er, we are not gankers and could care less about killing pve'ers.
    YashaX
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    I have said it before and I will say it again CoE is -not- a traditional PvP game. It is a Roleplay game and the devs perspective of PvP differs greatly in comparison. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17121/tell-me-how-this-will-not-become-a-pve-game

I want to believe that there can be a decent amount of PvP in this game while the story is being played out but it is starting to seem like it isn't going to be that way.

Can you define PvP?

Currently the community for CoE is leaning towards the PvE crowd...

Generally speaking, other games define PvE and PvP in two broad categories. PvE is anything not requiring combat with another player and PvP being anything that requires combat with another player.

These are weak definitions in CoE. In CoE, PvP is defined as your ability to impact other players in a way that effects their competitive advantage over you.

This can range from economical, to physical, to social. In which case, CoE is far more 'PvP' based than most other MMOs to date. You can force someone out of a market, steal from them, decide not to teach them skills, spread rumors about them, lie about them, commit espionage against them, prevent them from completing contracts, and yes, even attack them. If you really wanted to, and were willing to pay the heavy price for it, you could even inflict them with grievous wounds and force them to Spirit Walk.

The point I'm trying to make is that virtually everything you do in CoE to 'get ahead' comes at the cost of someone else. You want to build a nice settlement with your friends? Excellent! But the resources you're collecting to do so is resources others won't have available. And if your settlement starts to grow in reputation, it could even draw PCs and NPCs from neighboring settlements to yours, lowering their income and reducing their wealth.

That aside, if I were going to define PvE in CoE, I'd say it's the activities you'd do as a result of the dynamic story engine. But here's the kicker... the story engine is designed to create content by putting the players against one another. So much of the 'PvE' content that people will experience will still be PvP in the way I've defined it above.

That's not to say that occasional dungeons won't pop up with cool encounters. But CoE isn't a game where people either go do raids or go do arena/battlegrounds. Sure, we could create some story arc where skeletons rise from the graves and come to trounce you in the nearby settlement.... but we're just as likely to create a story arc which would encourage the neighboring settlement to come trounce you instead.

right now with all of the 'Caspian will protect us' thoughts from that crowd

The crowds are wrong if that's what they're saying. I'm the DM, and I am writing a story to challenge and entertain you. But I make no promises of your survival.

Can SBS explain what their actions would be if all of the PvE backers quit playing due to the possible chaotic world this game has the promise of.

This is not a game for people who don't want to be impacted by others. That said, there's a difference between the various types of conflict, and it's true, we discourage unplanned, random physical attacks against others, and the laws and punishments will be harsh - just like in our world.

If the 'PvPers' can't stretch their imagination beyond just walking around smacking people with weapons, unless they're very good at both combat and not getting caught, they're going to quickly find this is not the game for them.

Octagon7711
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I have said it before and I will say it again CoE is -not- a traditional PvP game. It is a Roleplay game and the devs perspective of PvP differs greatly in comparison. 

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17121/tell-me-how-this-will-not-become-a-pve-game

I want to believe that there can be a decent amount of PvP in this game while the story is being played out but it is starting to seem like it isn't going to be that way.

Can you define PvP?

Currently the community for CoE is leaning towards the PvE crowd...

Generally speaking, other games define PvE and PvP in two broad categories. PvE is anything not requiring combat with another player and PvP being anything that requires combat with another player.

These are weak definitions in CoE. In CoE, PvP is defined as your ability to impact other players in a way that effects their competitive advantage over you.

This can range from economical, to physical, to social. In which case, CoE is far more 'PvP' based than most other MMOs to date. You can force someone out of a market, steal from them, decide not to teach them skills, spread rumors about them, lie about them, commit espionage against them, prevent them from completing contracts, and yes, even attack them. If you really wanted to, and were willing to pay the heavy price for it, you could even inflict them with grievous wounds and force them to Spirit Walk.

The point I'm trying to make is that virtually everything you do in CoE to 'get ahead' comes at the cost of someone else. You want to build a nice settlement with your friends? Excellent! But the resources you're collecting to do so is resources others won't have available. And if your settlement starts to grow in reputation, it could even draw PCs and NPCs from neighboring settlements to yours, lowering their income and reducing their wealth.

That aside, if I were going to define PvE in CoE, I'd say it's the activities you'd do as a result of the dynamic story engine. But here's the kicker... the story engine is designed to create content by putting the players against one another. So much of the 'PvE' content that people will experience will still be PvP in the way I've defined it above.

That's not to say that occasional dungeons won't pop up with cool encounters. But CoE isn't a game where people either go do raids or go do arena/battlegrounds. Sure, we could create some story arc where skeletons rise from the graves and come to trounce you in the nearby settlement.... but we're just as likely to create a story arc which would encourage the neighboring settlement to come trounce you instead.

right now with all of the 'Caspian will protect us' thoughts from that crowd

The crowds are wrong if that's what they're saying. I'm the DM, and I am writing a story to challenge and entertain you. But I make no promises of your survival.

Can SBS explain what their actions would be if all of the PvE backers quit playing due to the possible chaotic world this game has the promise of.

This is not a game for people who don't want to be impacted by others. That said, there's a difference between the various types of conflict, and it's true, we discourage unplanned, random physical attacks against others, and the laws and punishments will be harsh - just like in our world.

If the 'PvPers' can't stretch their imagination beyond just walking around smacking people with weapons, unless they're very good at both combat and not getting caught, they're going to quickly find this is not the game for them.

Are you sure you read the above? Seems to be more of a manifesto against traditional PVE.

This line in particular, "This is not a game for people who don't want to be impacted by others."

Impacting others is great, but not always appreciated.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Are you sure you read the above? Seems to be more of a manifesto against traditional PVE.

This line in particular, "This is not a game for people who don't want to be impacted by others."

Impacting others is great, but not always appreciated.
    To be fair, players ruling the lands, kinda impacts everybody, so, even if the game is mainly PvE, (which I highly doubt that would be the case), the idea that City Leaders are players, will affect them, either directly or indirectly.

Like if you played GW2, imagine if Queen Jenna of Divinity's Reach was an actual player. For better or worse that would have an impact on everyone that was a citizen of Divinity's Reach.

That does not mean Queen Jenna is gonna run around Kill Stealing and Ganking people.

edited March 2018
    There is a difference between being impacted in/by the game as appose to someone trying to troll you out of the game. As demonstrated in Caspian's post, all your actions are going to affect someone in game. But to outright try to troll someone outside of the game is a totally different story. 

PS, in response to Kyleran.
    Post edited by mystichaze on
    There is a difference between being impacted in/by the game as appose to someone trying to troll you out of the game. As demonstrated in Caspian's post, all your actions are going to affect someone in game. But to outright try to troll someone outside of the game is a totally different story. 

What exactly is out of game trolling? In the name reservation example,  these names were to be used in game, and certainly could have some impact.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:

What exactly is out of game trolling? In the name reservation example,  these names were to be used in game, and certainly could have some impact.
    For a community that has known each other for nearly two years, if not more and to try to reserve a name that you know is another player's established name, yes, that is an example of troll (being an asshat). But there are many other examples of out of game trolling, like stalking, harassing and such.
    Post edited by mystichaze on
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    How is reserving a name trolling if the system allows it?

Should the system not have been in place already so users could have reserved surnames or family names like in BDO for early backers?
    KyleranYashaX
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Renoaku said:

Should the system not have been in place already so users could have reserved surnames or family names like in BDO for early backers?
    That was one of my points.  If the forum names are reserved then why monetize a naming system? This player also changed his name at least once since he joined the forums.  What makes Maulvorn more important than Drake, Violet or Smith?  

If you wanted to let forum names be a form of reservation then fine.  Go that route and don’t monetize a different system.

My other point is that if these folks are “mortified” by name reservations just wait until the real griefing begins. There are multiple discussions about making sure to choose land on or around Maulvorns, building useless things on it, strip mining all resources from it and making it their mission to drive him from the game.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    There are so many ways that players can completely make playing a miserable experience for other players that the developers in their wildest imaginations never even thought of. Managing a game like this is going to be so taxing unless they adopt the attitude that people don't play fair and that they will do ever sneaky nasty thing they can because they can. So either you put restrictions or let it evolve and go where it might and hope that the players form some sort of balance other PvP games manage but for that to succeed you need a good number of people playing. I don't see that in the future of this game given the controversies surrounding it.
    KyleranOctagon7711

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Renoaku said:

That was one of my points.  If the forum names are reserved then why monetize a naming system? This player also changed his name at least once since he joined the forums.  What makes Maulvorn more important than Drake, Violet or Smith?  

If you wanted to let forum names be a form of reservation then fine.  Go that route and don’t monetize a different system.

My other point is that if these folks are “mortified” by name reservations just wait until the real griefing begins. There are multiple discussions about making sure to choose land on or around Maulvorns, building useless things on it, strip mining all resources from it and making it their mission to drive him from the game.
    Well that is a problem with the game design, if the game allows it then it's not really griefing so they need to add safe space and restrictions of placement of structures then unless then plan to like give the backers a really big mansion/house and then allow them to put their own nodes connected to the property for example then all would be great.

Kyleran
  • CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    edited March 2018
    In CoE high level backers like Kings and Dukes won't keep their position and title for long if they don't manage to build a community of supporting players around and with them.
    You won't be able to be a King or Duke just alone for yourself, just sitting on Your virtual throne and feeling great about yourself! The feudalsim-like political system of CoE will put hundreds, if not thousands of players below You and You'll be responsible to actively manage, organize, protect and support them, deal with their wishes, needs, issues and complaints.

So what almost all of the kings and dukes and counts were doing since they pledged was recruiting and trying to build a community and to get future mayors, residents and followers. To be successful in this You need management, social and leadership skills. Kings and Dukes also need to build a reputation and need to invest a lot of time to build and grow their community.

So I can understand that SBS was not expecting this trolling behaviour from one of the top tier backers because that action would ruin his reputation in the whole community and probably among his followers. And if You invested a big amount of money You probably better not pi** off the developers because they could ban You or punish You in many ways. Which could get You in trouble with Your own community that You might have built already.

I would have expected such behaviour from players who haven't invested much so they won't loose much and who are not really interested in the game.
    One would expect that high level backers and the developers are on the same side and generally have an alignment of interest and I'm still sure that most Kings and Dukes care about their reputation. Many of them have indeed already invested a lot of time and effort in building their kingdoms and duchies, growing their communities, writing lore, interacting and communicating.

So I can understand SBS got surprised and wasn't expecting this from a high level backer because of the above mentioned reasons.

But they reacted appropriately, adapted to the situation and made clear that they don't tolerate that, that they enforce their rules regardless of how much money somebody pledged!
    So what?

Ungoodmystichaze

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

edited March 2018
    Renoaku said:

Which was my point in the other thread, will the devs also consider such activities as griefing because everyone "knows" Malvorn plans to build up a kingdom in a certain spot? 

Will they reverse other players actions, especially during the 3 month head start period when they expect their backers to play nice and build everyone else a great kingdom?

What if a backer does as you said, and purposely attempts to disrupt another kingdom during this time (and you know some of them will) do the devs plan to "correct the wrong?"

They shouldn't IMO, rather they shoukd programmatically make it not possible to do so during this period.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Costanius said:

In CoE high level backers like Kings and Dukes won't keep their position and title for long if they don't manage to build a community of supporting players around and with them. 
    You won't be able to be a King or Duke just alone for yourself, just sitting on Your virtual throne and feeling great about yourself! The feudalsim-like political system of CoE will put hundreds, if not thousands of players below You and You'll be responsible to actively manage, organize, protect and support them, deal with their wishes, needs, issues and complaints.

So what almost all of the kings and dukes and counts were doing since they pledged was recruiting and trying to build a community and to get future mayors, residents and followers. To be successful in this You need management, social and leadership skills. Kings and Dukes also need to build a reputation and need to invest a lot of time to build and grow their community.

So I can understand that SBS was not expecting this trolling behaviour from one of the top tier backers because that action would ruin his reputation in the whole community and probably among his followers. And if You invested a big amount of money You probably better not pi** off the developers because they could ban You or punish You in many ways. Which could get You in trouble with Your own community that You might have built already.

I would have expected such behaviour from players who haven't invested much so they won't loose much and who are not really interested in the game.
    One would expect that high level backers and the developers are on the same side and generally have an alignment of interest and I'm still sure that most Kings and Dukes care about their reputation. Many of them have indeed already invested a lot of time and effort in building their kingdoms and duchies, growing their communities, writing lore, interacting and communicating.

So I can understand SBS got surprised and wasn't expecting this from a high level backer because of the above mentioned reasons.

But they reacted appropriately, adapted to the situation and made clear that they don't tolerate that, that they enforce their rules regardless of how much money somebody pledged! 
    So what?
    The trolls like to work in groups too. If there aren't any existing troll nations, then founding one could be a really good way to become successful.

Costanius said:

So what?

Here's the thing,  I'm getting the impression the player whose name was "stolen" isn't actually beloved by some fairly sizable portion of the community.

It's very possible that most, if not all of the "allied" Dukes and nobles and perhaps many non allied factions supported this attempt to perhaps grief this other noble.

You put too much stock in this allied kingdom concept btw.  There are at least 20 major alliances / corps in EVE with the infrastructure (forums, Discord, Jabber, wikis, physical get togethers etcs) in place already and number of players to completely roll over and dominate an entire kingdom in a matter of months. 

Outside of EVE there are many "corporate guilds" (i.e. Grievance) which roll into games like this with a well organized structure and an army of players who've played together for decades, literally. 

Some like Grievence (despite their name) are fairly benevolent and bring a positive experience to the game, however there are definitely some who just want to see the world burn, and they are the ones devs and players will have to be prepared for. 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited March 2018
    Costanius said:

So what?

Reminds me of a game which development I followed some years ago.
    There were 3 promised classes, where the outstanding one was the politician, who would use resources to craft customized quests for the soldier from which both would benefit.. and of course the merchant class to round things up.

The reality when things went into beta were class free characters with 3 basic stabbing moves and only 2 playable maps.
    Nothing from the original plans to run the game on abstract player made quests could be realized.

Want to bet with me if any of the political kingdom rule mumbo jumbo you just named will make it into the actual game?

Not to mention the idea that people will only follow a good and caring king is absolutely absurd.
    Ask @Kyleran about the structures and behaviors of the goons.
    YashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
    Renoaku said:

Well those people sound like a solid bunch of losers.

As for the name, Meh, to be honest, if I knew that people were so butthurt by my actions that they made it their life mission to drive me from the game, I'd make sure to take some other unrelated name.. in fact I would go so far as to make dummy accounts for them to target. I am going to assume that their petty butthurt issues are no doubt drummed up from this players real life wealth and how much they bought into the game. So, if I had that kinds of funds, I'd use that to secure investments into the game, be it military prowess, or personal invincibility, so that I would be able to crush these broke ass blokes anonymously from all different angles.

Hell, in that case, to be honest, I'd be glad some other dipshit took an infamous name.. go have fun with that asshole. I'd make sure that name was hated above all others, in fact, I'd claim that was me in game, and that it was a hoax they trolled my name, while some might not buy that, there would no doubt be some people out of the loop and make the wrong assumptions, or maybe buy my lies... 

let the Seventy Fifth annual hunger games begin.. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:

I'm well aware of the official justification for selling a wide variety of ingame advantages to wealthy punters, I just can't imagine that the CoE team actually believed their own BS, lol
    YashaX
    Costanius said:

So what?

This is a really good point, that the higher the back the more they have to lose from rule violation, so it would come as a shock they would be the ones to do this kind of thing.