Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naoki Yoshida Named to the Square Enix Board of Directors - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageNaoki Yoshida Named to the Square Enix Board of Directors - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV News - Final Fantasy XIV Game Director Naoki Yoshida has been given a position on the Square Enix Board of Directors. The announcement was made as part of the latest investors' quarterly meeting. Yoshida has been instrumental in the amazing turnaround of Final Fantasy XIV and, as tipster 'Coolit'said, is "very much deserved".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

lisa7306

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    This is great news! What Yoshi did with FF ARR never seizes to amaze me ! Well deserved.
    [Deleted User]NotEvadingTaxFraudJeroKaneMrMelGibsonkillerqueerinfomatz

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Well deserved.
    jj7009[Deleted User]NotEvadingTaxFraudMrMelGibsonlisa7306cheyane

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Well well deserved. He's a very pleasant guy and I am sure he will not disappoint.

[Deleted User]NotEvadingTaxFraudMrMelGibson

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Maybe we’ll get nosgoth back /cry
    BorlucConstantineMeruslisa7306
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    He does seem to have done an amazing job. But I would say in todays gaming climate how many franchises other than FF would have had the money to reinvent their MMO and have such a strong fan base that they could do so and players would not have written them off after such a failure? 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    would be cool if Yoshi worked on FFXVI or FFXVII :o
    MrMelGibsoninfomatz
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Very much deserved indeed.
    MrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Maybe his idea of WoW tokens for FFXIV will become a reality now. There's a lot of stuff I'd buy from SE if they had an account wide balance.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    SE needs to put this man in charge of all future FF main entries. Seriously, The man knows what makes FF special. XIV is a really good MMO, But most importantly it's a really good Final Fantasy. (When compared to XIII or XV).

The only gripe I have with it, Is that there's a lot to push through before the story really kicks off. But I suppose the same could be said of any great game in the series.
    MrMelGibsoninfomatz

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    He looks like lalafell.
    MrMelGibson
  • azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    derek39 said:
    SE needs to put this man in charge of all future FF main entries. Seriously, The man knows what makes FF special. XIV is a really good MMO, But most importantly it's a really good Final Fantasy. (When compared to XIII or XV).

The only gripe I have with it, Is that there's a lot to push through before the story really kicks off. But I suppose the same could be said of any great game in the series.
    Wanted to get back to FF14 after quitting pretty early on after hitting the lvl cap in ARR, bought the xpac, found out that i had to do all the final ARR quests that lead up to the first xpac.

I couldn't make it, those quest are absolutely awful and take way to much time to complete.
    I followed the quest chain for around 20 hours but just can't take it anymore.
    It's a bit of a shame since the game is normally pretty great.
    MrMelGibsonthighhighs
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I hope he reboors Legacy of Kain series. Oh please Lucifer, let it come true!
    MrMelGibsoninfomatz
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited March 2018

azonic69 said:

derek39 said:

Wanted to get back to FF14 after quitting pretty early on after hitting the lvl cap in ARR, bought the xpac, found out that i had to do all the final ARR quests that lead up to the first xpac.

I couldn't make it, those quest are absolutely awful and take way to much time to complete.
    I followed the quest chain for around 20 hours but just can't take it anymore.
    It's a bit of a shame since the game is normally pretty great.

It's not really 20 hours though, but you could buy a ARR story token and then jump straight into the Heavensward expansion now.
    I would not skip that expansion, since it's one of the best expansions in any MMO I have played. The story is simply amazing and very dramatic. I absolutely loved playing through Heavensward and was actually sad when I finished it. Stormblood expansion is also ok, very dramatic, but I guess I just have a soft spot for Dragons :P
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Scot said:

He does seem to have done an amazing job. But I would say in todays gaming climate how many franchises other than FF would have had the money to reinvent their MMO and have such a strong fan base that they could do so and players would not have written them off after such a failure? 

You don't even give him credit for doing almost the impossible, regardless of what IP. Not sure what would impress you.
    He did what no one imagine could be done. If that doesn't earn you a seat at the board. I honestly don't know what would. I'm happy for him. Well deserved.
    Coolit[Deleted User]

I played that a shit ton on PS1. The Soul Reader games were awesome as well.
    ConstantineMerus
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Scot said:

While there is no doubt the FF name has a lot of draw, the quality would have spoken for itself over time... I think the real question is, would anyone other than SE have enough pride in their IP that they are willing to invest so much in correcting their mistakes?

And grats to Yoshi P, very much deserved (and appreciated for creating a modern FF game worthy of the name).

CoolitScotcheyane[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

I played that a shit ton on PS1. The Soul Reader games were awesome as well.
    When it comes down to story and lore, no IP holds a candle to LoK, in my humble opinion of course. I rank the story next to literature masterpieces. 
    MrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    acidblood said:
    Scot said:

While there is no doubt the FF name has a lot of draw, the quality would have spoken for itself over time... I think the real question is, would anyone other than SE have enough pride in their IP that they are willing to invest so much in correcting their mistakes?

And grats to Yoshi P, very much deserved (and appreciated for creating a modern FF game worthy of the name).

Definitely. Also, with all that money available they still messed up the original FFXIV release and despite its rabid fanbase it still was a failure. Turning it around is nothing short of a miracle, congrats to Yoshida, it could have gone horribly, horribly wrong.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited March 2018

derek39 said:

SE needs to put this man in charge of all future FF main entries. Seriously, The man knows what makes FF special..

If shoe-horning absurd quantities of fan-service and nostalgia from other FFs into FFXIV, because his own attempts at original content have missed the mark and fallen short time and again (Diadem 1, Diadem 2, Tower, Verminion, PoTD, and so on...), instead of creating a world that stands firmly on its own within the series, with its own original world, lore, story, etc (aka FFXI) is what makes a FF "special" to you, then I guess he's doing a great job.

It's a numbered entry in name only. If not for the name 'Final Fantasy', and SE's money and support behind it, FFXIV would have been written off a long time ago as another derivative themepark in an increasing line of them.

FF7? Special. FF6? Special. FF9? Special. FF10? Special. FF11? Special... you get the idea. Each of those, and more, stood on its own, with its own world, lore, etc.

FF14? No. Just no. Its best days were 2.0 and the beginning of Heavensward. It's been on an ever increasing downward slope since then.
    Frankly, the FF series has become less and less "special" since Sakaguchi left.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    From a business perspective he is definitely deserving.  From a fan perspective I could live without WoW in FF form.