Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Celebrating 2 Years with a New Trailer & In-Game Events - Black Desert Online Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageCelebrating 2 Years with a New Trailer & In-Game Events - Black Desert Online Videos - MMORPG.com

It's hard to believe that it's been 2 years since Kakao Games launched Black Desert Online in North America and Europe. To celebrate the big anniversary, Kakao has released a new trailer as well has announced a special slate of events taking place throughout March.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2018
    I like making goods for trading and farming are among the things I love to do in the game. Opening nodes and trading to far off places. Calling it a fishing simulator means you have not done the other interesting things available in the game. I don't PvP so I farm, trade, fish and rear horses. I thought I better explain 'rear' is British way of saying look after in case some wise crack comes and thinks I rear horses in BDO which you can though 
    Image result for rear horses

Reverielle

• Life2vLife2v Member UncommonPosts: 12
    BDO end game (pvp, siege, wars) completely garbage due to insane lag/bad optimization.
    AlomarRadooEggonomicon
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    So many new accounts here bashing the game...

I have never received so much free stuff from an MMO. This is the one MMO I have played where I did not feel I needed to buy something from the cash shop to play and enjoy my time and be competitive. It seems like every week they are giving me stuff.

I am not a big fan of the RNG system but the complaints about lag have never affected me. I dont do node wars though.
    Life2vRadooNepheth
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I would try giving this a go but I always hear to get started I need to at least shell out anywhere from $40-100. No thanks.
  • stlordstlord Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited March 2018

kitarad said:

I like making goods for trading and farming are among the things I love to do in the game. Opening nodes and trading to far off places. Calling it a fishing simulator means you have not done the other interesting things available in the game. I don't PvP so I farm, trade, fish and rear horses. I thought I better explain 'rear' is British way of saying look after in case some wise crack comes and thinks I rear horses in BDO which you can though 
    Image result for rear horses

Well, I tried and got done every (!!!) part of BDO "content" (not kidding). And I would like to say, Zamuro is right. It's fishing sim and 24/7 mob grinder. It's even have no rights to be called as mmo, just beautiful skyrim lite edition with chat. There are so many stupid dev's decisions in this... erm... okay, game, I've told before. Just don't want to repeat myself.
    Grendizer73[Deleted User]EggonomiconManWithNoTan
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    2 years of NA servers being complete garbage with no change in sight despite the $40 million in profits they rake in every year.
    BruceYeeRadoochojin2k
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

I would try giving this a go but I always hear to get started I need to at least shell out anywhere from $40-100. No thanks.

Paid the initial game cost and that's it. Make an account lvl a bit don't log in for 2 months come back to the welcome back pack that gives you tons of stuff
    Truvidien88wingood

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited March 2018
    Spanish players will be excited that the game has been updated with Spanish localization.

yay :)
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Does it has a PvE end-game yet?
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

That's only if you want to be competitive. You can also enjoy the game for it's other aspects too.
    wingood
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Thank you Kakao

I have had a blast playing Black Desert Online and cant wait to play AIR when it releases.

Keep showing them how its supposed to be done.
    edited March 2018
    DMKano said:
    Mikeha said:
    Thank you Kakao

I have had a blast playing Black Desert Online and cant wait to play AIR when it releases.

BDO does a lot of things right - the graphics, the animations, the world, the combat, it's really well done.

It also does a lot of things wrong - namely game systems where RNG being present in every single aspect of the game - and also hiding stats from players - there's so much hidden stuff - heck they don't even display damage numbers at all - people have to count pixels on monsters HP bars to figure out damage done.

Also the base game being crippled enough to where players are strongly encouraged if not forced to use the cash shop to "un-cripple" and make the base game fun - not a big fan of that

Thats your opinion, not mine. 

I have no problem with the RNG and the only time I have ever used the cash shop in 2 years was to buy an outfit for my Striker because I wanted to. 

My only complaint about BDO is that it needs more group focused gameplay. 
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I bought it in beta for like $30 or so and didnt really play it much...Returned recently, read a few guides, bought some pets(pretty much mandatory), bought a costume, enjoyed myself.  Not currently playing but I can imagine if this is your main no life game playing over 40hrs a week I could see how the cash shop could seem a bit egregious.  But I do feel that the afk gameplay aspects and grinding for %.001 for ever is kinda dumb.  Overall a thumbs up from me though.
  • MasterDCTMasterDCT Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited March 2018
    Pros: good graphic/ world/ node systems. Good combat system. Deep life skill systems. Fast content updates
    Cons: RNG progression system, gotta pay to be competitive, very time consuming (life skill), poor optimization, grindy, class inbalances, no dungeons/ raid
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154

Mikeha said:

DMKano said:

Mikeha said:

Thank you Kakao

BDO does a lot of things right - the graphics, the animations, the world, the combat, it's really well done.

It also does a lot of things wrong - namely game systems where RNG being present in every single aspect of the game - and also hiding stats from players - there's so much hidden stuff - heck they don't even display damage numbers at all - people have to count pixels on monsters HP bars to figure out damage done.

Also the base game being crippled enough to where players are strongly encouraged if not forced to use the cash shop to "un-cripple" and make the base game fun - not a big fan of that

I have no problem with the RNG and the only time I have ever used the cash shop in 2 years was to buy an outfit for my Striker because I wanted to. 

Like end game raiding?
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited March 2018
    I always liked the look of the combat, But I can't play the game without getting a headache. The way everything pops in out of no where just a few feet ahead really bothers me. It's a pretty game though....So long as you stand still...

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    The Best Single Player MMO. Worst example of how to make a mmorpg with $$$ in mind.
    Eggonomicon

Mikeha said:

DMKano said:

Mikeha said:

Thank you Kakao

Like end game raiding?

I don't care about end game. I want to group up with others at level 1. 

I am all about the journey.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

DMKano said:

To really play at a level that most people play at - you need to spend a LOT more than that now (tent alone is $40+)

Once you get to boss gear enchantment - unless you are swimming in memory fragments - expect to spend at least $10 every time you need to restore 80% durability by purchasing 20 artisan memories.

I know people that have spent $30+ just to get their kzarka from +13 to +14 let alone all those failed TETs

So you are looking at $600+ easily for a full set.

Yep.. Looks like I'll be passing on this one. :) Lol
  • ZArandonZArandon Member CommonPosts: 7

Zamuro said:

i really dont know why so many ppl praise this fishing simulator/ 24/7 mob grinder...

good character creator, good combat, good graphics but bad, unoptimized engine with pop ups and shit and thats all of it.

western mmorpgs are so much better made. yeah, they dont have amazing combat but thats the only downside. they have everything else thats makes it a mmorpg

Simulator ? wut ? i guess you grow up with some sort of bad or low playerbase game with dungeongs and sort of little stuff to do and as a endgame you will just do the same dugeon again and boss for better timer or like that, here you chose your endgame as well all that simulation of afk are twice better, in case you are doing active fishing u get tons of $$ instead of afk one as well who said and where it writes that Western MMOS define the whole genre meanwhile they are just a failure ? only WoW being a succes bcs of Warcraft that's all I do not see something better than BDO on top market besides WoW and ? Ashes Of Creation ? build on hopes MMO? PoE the Diablo with F2P for all poor people that are licking it as an masterpiece ? Warframe ? you mean Black Desert with timer and instance dugeons ? man you are from Wurm Online or from where ? you seem so 2004 in tastes :)
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Zamuro said:

i really dont know why so many ppl praise this fishing simulator/ 24/7 mob grinder...

good character creator, good combat, good graphics but bad, unoptimized engine with pop ups and shit and thats all of it.

western mmorpgs are so much better made. yeah, they dont have amazing combat but thats the only downside. they have everything else thats makes it a mmorpg

Exactly why I never log back on to this game. Stupid pop-up glitches. I'm surprise it made this far!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Zamuro said:
    ZArandon said:

Zamuro said:

Simulator ? wut ? i guess you grow up with some sort of bad or low playerbase game with dungeongs and sort of little stuff to do and as a endgame you will just do the same dugeon again and boss for better timer or like that, here you chose your endgame as well all that simulation of afk are twice better, in case you are doing active fishing u get tons of $$ instead of afk one as well who said and where it writes that Western MMOS define the whole genre meanwhile they are just a failure ? only WoW being a succes bcs of Warcraft that's all I do not see something better than BDO on top market besides WoW and ? Ashes Of Creation ? build on hopes MMO? PoE the Diablo with F2P for all poor people that are licking it as an masterpiece ? Warframe ? you mean Black Desert with timer and instance dugeons ? man you are from Wurm Online or from where ? you seem so 2004 in tastes :)
    indeed, wow it was. but i have played most mmorpgs and can tell u for sure that black desert is nothing, just like most of the asian games with very few exceptions like aion and tera for example.
    YOU CAN DO PROFESSIONS in bdo as end game?! I CANT BELIEVE THIS! oh wait... u can actually do it in every other mmorpg, my bad. as i said, black desert is the typical asian weeb eye candy. ppl in eu and na seems to praise it more than the actual asians...
    Your world of Warcraft preference is showing. Aion? An exception? Aion is so "world of warcraft" it isn't funny.

Except it doesn't do it as well as World of Warcraft.

This is coming from someone who followed it from it's first announcement, was one of a few at their PAX launch party in Seattle, played it at launch for a few years.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I don't know, there is always a P2W crowd lamenting vocally in every game these days. I've been playing BDO again now for about five weeks and most of those that I've met in game that have played since the launch say that the P2W hyperbole is basically completely untrue. And once you look through the game cash shop any objectively discerning customer can basically come to the same conclusion too; plenty of quality of life options, but absolutely nothing that is by definition P2W.

The really problem as I understand it is the MMO player community simply doesn't understand what P2W actually means anymore.

BDO is an enjoyable game, there are plenty of interesting things to do. And whilst the quest system is a little different, there seems to be plenty of lore/dialogue stories going on, you just have to scratch the surface a bit more than you normal do in theme-park MMOs. Also the graphics aren't that great, the limited field of vision with regard to other players/NPCs is a massive detraction from the aesthetics of the world.

The only real downside though is the community; it's horrendous on the whole. I'm no walking online-gaming-anthology, but in over 20 years of online gaming I can say it's by far the worst community I've encountered. The way they abuse each other has to be seen/read to be believed, and the way they abuse the GMs/Development when they're online... well you won't believe what you're reading in chat. It almost ruins the game.

For any new players trying BDO; find a guild that suits you, turn off server & world chat, and never ever turn them on again.
  • DelondialDelondial Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Enjoyed it for a good while, but the RNG is brutally frustrating. Months of work gone with virtually nothing to show for it due to a bad roll of the dice. Just burned me right out.

Clever things.