Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of the scene for along time!

XenoclxiXenoclxi Member UncommonPosts: 4
So after the initial part of my early family life is over and i now have some time on my hands, along with a new gaming laptop since my old gaming computer died back in 2012 and my work one since then has not been able to run squat - here i am.

I havnt been reading too much into the gaming world yet the MMO world overall and since now coming back i am sitting here at the screen wondering what.....what the hell should i play - there are a ton of new games and i just dont know where to start.

My last proper MMO that i played before family time took over full time was SW:TOR, with abit of alternate gaming to WoW, and a few other odd MMOs that i played, Earthrise, Xyson and cant remember the rest. But i was getting tired of the MMO genre back then as it was saturated and i think the genre as a whole took its toll as i played them since who knows how long since EQ1.

So....

Don't even know how i should request a game as i dont overall know what i actually "like" to do in gaming anymore, its like a brand new experience for me but a fun one at that!

Ill list a few things
- Has to be populated, saying that i dont mind a game that isnt as heavy populated overall but is not server spread across many, a tight knit community, mature mostly.
- Dont mind Theme park or Sandbox providing they give good content from through leveling and not just dead at the start of the game and heavy at the end  - a good mixture of all areas.
- Future proof, as i have some time now, i want to make it count! So i dont waste just joining a dieing game overall
- I dont mind future or medieval or modern type of game

Look honestly give me a few games that the the HIT currently and can go from there. Im totally mind smacked - opened my Steam account with the 100 or so games i go and dont even know what to do LOL.  

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited March 2018
    FFXIV,  ESO, GW2, & BDO not necessarily in that order

All have strong populations and vary quite a bit between them in terms of gameplay.

More eclectic consider Life is Feudal, Albion Online, Legends of Aria perhaps, but two of them are in early access. 

If space is your thing, Elite Dangerous or buy yourself a ship in Star Citizen, join their beta, and be part of the greatest scam, er I meant saga in MMO gaming today. ;)

Coming soon, Camelot Unchained beta around July 4th, Crowfall, oh yeah Shroud of the Avatar is finally launching but that's not one I would recommend.

Me, strangely enough I've been messing with Runescape 3 of all things.

Weird.

XenoclxiSovrathMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Black Desert Online (BDO) lots of things to do to grow your characters and the way it is setup is very unique.  All your characters share a bank and you can log into any shard/server with your characters, plus the energy and contrib points you earn on one character are available to all your characters.  Plus the cash shop sells nothing that you would really need except a value pack which is like the monthy sub fee. 
    XenoclxiPhry
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2018
    Maybe Rifts Prime server , it is a very cool game , and launching a new sub server with reduced cash shop in a few days , If you havent tried Rift before it would be a great oppurtunity , the only downfall is that this server may or may not shut down in one year ...I cannot recommend the Rift Live servers as the cash shop is P2W horrid
    AllerleirauhXenoclxi[Deleted User]
  • DiscipledOneDiscipledOne Member UncommonPosts: 103
    WoW Legion, and Elder Scrolls Online are the games I typically recommend.

XenoclxiMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    World of Warcraft
    AllerleirauhXenoclxiIceAge
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    My recommendations, TERA, they are releasing the male brawler March 13th, and it has a good payment model. Rift, I had a lot of fun in Rift, and with the introduction of the Prime Server, it's a good time to check it out as it will have a lot of players around your level. I've never played a game that does grouping better than Rift does; it's a great game to play with friends. Path of Exile, I have yet to try this game, but I've heard a lot of great stuff about it, particularly it's payment model.
    Xenoclxi
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Albatroes said:
    World of Warcraft
    I believe Xenoclxi is looking for a new game; I always find it funny when someone mentions WoW. Who hasn't played it? Well, me, I guess, but I'm different, I don't follow the crowd.Image result for sheeping jumping off a cliff

Xenoclxi
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    +1 to turtle, I'd say LotRO as well. Mostly just from habit, I usually say LotRO in lfg threads, and to be honest, your list wasn't very narrow either :wink:

After some distillation you basically seek any setting, any theme, decently populated in all level ranges, good leveling content - that applies to a lot of games out there.
    They you said future proof, I think in the current state of the market, where closures are much more common than they were a decade ago, no game is really future proof... maybe except wow. So this point is not much help either, who would positively say for any game that it will be here in 2020 too, for certain? I'm not...

That leaves the last one, tight-knit, mature community. Yep, that's LotRO. You can throw into the mix the words friendly, and helpful too.
    Xenoclxi
  • XenoclxiXenoclxi Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Thanks for the comments guys!

The lists that you gave me will get me started at least.

A few of the games i have played far and beyond back in the day (WoW, RS) and even Rift (early days)

A few of the games i will try out as they offer free trials but i will look out for Rift though aswell as they have that new server coming out so i think that might be a good place to start fresh in a way.

I know i was VERY vague in what i asked as its kind of hard right now for me to find what i actually like playing nowadays compared to years back when i was younger, tastes changed and so forth. So having a good variety to look into is a good thing even though they might be totally different. But i will take all your recommendations and look at them through due time!

Thanks alot - and glad to see MMORPG.com is still kicking strong with good community - this is another account as i cant remember the other... but yes good to be back ;D 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2018
    One of the other reasons i suggest Rift new Prime server is you will be getting in on the ground floor with everyone on 3/7, some of other games listed are top heavy players, and will find it more difficult to find groups for the begininng and mid tier content.
     ESO and GW2 being exceptions because of there scaling content
    Kyleran
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    That's most likely correct, AoC started a similar new server last month and it was thriving on players. Plus, with leveling within the initial rush of players means you will always have lots of players around, at every level range.

The only potential drawback is that Prime will be patron-only, and as a fresh returnee maybe you don't want to subscribe right away to a game without even trying it out first. But there's still a few days left until the Prime server launch, you can look around in Rift during that time for free.
    Kyleran
    Fresh servers and progressive ones at that i think are great as it gets the crowd who might of missed the initial rush with the game and lets them and ones who have missed it a chance to experience it again.

Only difference is that nowdays you have wiki's and most people are smarter overall (most) so that i guess everyone being a "newbie" is not really there anymore but the feel still is.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Oh and welcome to the site!
    He has been registered since 2004 , few month after me :)

@OP , I say WoW or Eve Online. Plenty of things to do in both games and they have changed a lot in the past years.

Good luck!

Phry

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

IceAge said:
    Oh and welcome to the site!
    He has been registered since 2004 , few month after me :)

Ah sorry I missed that! He has been lurking for a long long time then =)

Turtle hermit just starting to come out of his shell
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I have played lotro, wow, and eso I would say eso is the best game out right now its buy to play and has a ton of content to play. you can get the game and latest expansion for around 39.99 if you subscribe there are a ton of benefits. My wife and I have been playing since about March of last year and its not boring us yet.
    YashaX
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    World of Warcraft is still probably the best MMO out there and is currently on the tail end of their most successful expansion for quite some time imo so that's a great place to start, tons of content to experience.

FFXIV is a close second in terms of theme park, gear treadmill kind of stuff but very lackluster PvP compared to WoW.

ESO has great world building and cool questing but lacks solid animations, has spammy combat and no real feel of progression. The PvP is pretty zergy and spammy as well.

GW2 is B2P, very pretty, fun story that is constantly being added upon and easy to jump into PvP. This game also doesn't have much of a feel for progression but can be fun nonetheless.

I'd say jump into one of these games as they are of the highest quality currently available. Look out for Crowfall, Bless, and Camelot Unchained in the future. Hopefully we'll get something decent sometime soon, the genre has really stagnated lately.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Darkfall New Dawn just released a month ago and has been pretty busy. It will probably be running for another year at least?

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA