Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About Action Combat

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes there is a lot of misconception and a lot of developers marketing THEIR product with fancy words trying to make it sound like their ideas are doing us some favors.

My idea of action is a lot different from what is being tagged as action,example ARPG's make me sick with how crap they are.Diablo's and POE's are imo VERY low end gaming and not ACTION but instead SPAM.

When i want action i'll play something like UT99 my fave of all time,every single bit of a players skill comes into play from map movement/knowledge to weapon choice,weapon skill,outwitting your opponent,deception,prediction while ARPG's are pretty much press forward button and keep spamming your combo,one shotting everything,so mindless.

There is so much that brings combat out,even the lighting in a map make a world of difference,too dark or too bright and your eyes are strained or hard to see at a distance.Lack of weapon choices,poorly designed maps,when i play games i size up every few seconds of game play  and often i see bad design over and over and so often that i often logout and delete a game within the first few minutes.

Steelhelm

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Darksworm said:
    I think that's where the core issue is...

A lot of people confuse "dynamic combat" with "action combat" and a lot of companies make it seem like they are the same (for PR).  Making the game so that you have to pay attention and aren't just turreting from one spot is good.  This is doable with both tab targeting and "FPS-like" combat system.

That's, frankly, exactly what those games are implementing - in an attempt tot leach players from that genre due to the saturation of MMORPGs on the market spreading the core audience thin.

MMOs like ESO (to use another example) are nearly indistinguishable to me from FPS games.  They just require 10x as many buttons to play.  Why should I bother to play that when I can play Destiny II and get better PvE and still play PvP, for example?

And the Dodge fest that is GW2 has seen a lot of criticism from this.  The majority of your surviveability depends on how fast you can dodge, since even trash MOBs do inordinate amounts of HP.  It's literally all the game is about - anticipating and dodging.  They talk about this like it's what end-game gameplay is balanced around on their own website.

In any case, Tab Targetting continues to be more widely accepted by MMORPG players than Action Combat, which is why developers are actually starting to backtrack back to it - even though some of the loud voices on the forums call it "old style."  A lot of the Action Combat FAD has to do with the "appearance" of evolution and the attempts to rope in gamers from other genres to grow the market.

I cannot say that it has been very successful.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

In any case, Tab Targetting continues to be more widely accepted by MMORPG players than Action Combat, which is why developers are actually starting to backtrack back to it - even though some of the loud voices on the forums call it "old style."  A lot of the Action Combat FAD has to do with the "appearance" of evolution and the attempts to rope in gamers from other genres to grow the market.

Comedy gold.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Altho i play and enjoy both .. I find the action games just easier spam fests with simplified systems .. ...BDO being a shining example of this turd like spam fest .. Helen Keller could PVE that game with a 10 minute K+M lesson ..

Also,Tab -Targeting is still used more in MMORPGs by a very large margin .. Its not even close 
    edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:
      Altho i play and enjoy both .. I find the action games just easier spam fests with simplified systems .. ...BDO being a shining example of this turd like spam fest .. Helen Keller could PVE that game with a 10 minute K+M lesson ..

Also,Tab -Targeting is still used more in MMORPGs by a very large margin .. Its not even close 

Seiously??

Might want to prove your point, not just blatantly state it.

The ratio of games deploying action combat over tab targeting is at least 10-1 if not a whole lot more.  You can probably name MMORPGs that utilize tab targeting with one hand.  Right off the top of my head ... WoW, FF series ... and err ... (draws a blank) .....

Action Combat on the other hand ... (points to almost entirety of "Games Tab" on this forum).

AlBQuirky
    edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:

Might want to prove your point, not just make it.

The ratio of games deploying action combat over tab targeting is at least 10-1 if not a whole lot more.  You can probably name MMORPGs that utilize tab targeting with one hand.  Right off the top of my head ... WoW, FF series ... and err ... (draws a blank) .....

Action Combat on the other hand ... (points to almost entirety of "Games Tab" on this forum).

tell ya what .. go over to the drop down , look at the games that have Tab Target and action .. check there players numbers .. it wont even be close .. matter a fact Lineage and Wow alone have more players than all the Action MMORPGs combined

off the top of my head ..

WOW
    FF14
    FF11
    Lineage
    Lineage2
    Guild Wars
    UO
    Anarchy Online
    EQ
    EQ2
    Secrwt World
    Aion
    Age of Wushu
    Allods
    Regnum Online
    Project Gorgon
    Maple Story
    Manbinogi
    LOTRO
    Rift
    DDO
    STO
    Fallen Earth
    Xyson
    Knight Online
    Fiesta Online
    Dofus
    Atlantica
    Champions
    DC Universe
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Eve
    Villagers and Heores
    Wakfu
    Dragon Nest
    Voyage Century Online
    Tree of Life
    Tree of Savior
    SWTOR
    Tibia
    Runescape
    Eldevin
    Adventure Quest
    Adventure Quest3D
    Wizard 101
    Pirates 101
    Shaiya
    Istaria
    Archeage
    Dragons Prophet
    Ashen Empires
    Astonia
    Ragnarok
    Ragnarok 2
    Priston Tale
                         but i digress
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    Leiloni
    edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

tell ya what .. go over to the drop down , look at the games that have Tab Target and action .. check there players numbers .. it wont even be close .. matter a fact Lineage and Wow alone have more players than all the Action MMORPGs combined

Are we talking about games or player base numbers?  Your post specifically mentioned tab targeting as used more in MMORPGs.  If by MMORPGs you are talking about two or three games, thats not a case worth making.

If we're talking about player base numbers then your point may be up for an arguable debate.  If we're talking about games, however, then my point still stands.

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Are we talking about games or player base numbers?

If we're talking about player base numbers then your point may be up for an arguable debate.  If we're talking about games, however, then my point still stands.

my comment was "Also,Tab -Targeting is still used more in MMORPGs by a very large margin .. Its not even close  "

i stand by that
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

WOW
    FF14
    FF11
    Lineage
    Lineage2
    Guild Wars
    UO
    Anarchy Online
    EQ
    EQ2
    Secrwt World
    Aion
    Age of Wushu
    Allods
    Regnum Online
    Project Gorgon
    Maple Story
    Manbinogi
    LOTRO
    Rift
    DDO
    STO
    Fallen Earth
    Xyson
    Knight Online
    Fiesta Online
    Dofus
    Atlantica
    Champions
    DC Universe
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Eve
    Villagers and Heores
    Wakfu
    Dragon Nest
    Voyage Century Online
    Tree of Life
    Tree of Savior
    SWTOR
    Tibia
                         but i digress

I don't understand the above post.  Most of those games employ action combat.
    Phry
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

my comment was "Also,Tab -Targeting is still used more in MMORPGs by a very large margin .. Its not even close  "

i stand by that

So just because one MMORPG game may have a player base of 10 million players, which may be arguably higher than 99% of all MMORPGs on the market,  that to you translates to Tab Targeting being use more in MMORPGs by a very large margin."

Gotcha.

o.O
    edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

WOW
    FF14
    FF11
    Lineage
    Lineage2
    Guild Wars
    UO
    Anarchy Online
    EQ
    EQ2
    Secrwt World
    Aion
    Age of Wushu
    Allods
    Regnum Online
    Project Gorgon
    Maple Story
    Manbinogi
    LOTRO
    Rift
    DDO
    STO
    Fallen Earth
    Xyson
    Knight Online
    Fiesta Online
    Dofus
    Atlantica
    Champions
    DC Universe
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Eve
    Villagers and Heores
    Wakfu
    Dragon Nest
    Voyage Century Online
    Tree of Life
    Tree of Savior
    SWTOR
    Tibia
                         but i digress

I don't understand the above post.  Most of those games employ action combat.
    all of them have Tab target

so you are calling most of these games action games .. which ones ..

Dc universe is but most ceratinly is tab target  game
    and Dragon Nest ..which also is a hybrid with tab target ..

Which others include most of ..
    Leiloni
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

i stand by that

So just because one MMORPG game may have a player base of 10 million players, which may be arguably higher than 99% of all MMORPGs on the market,  that to you translates to Tab Targeting being use more in MMORPGs by a very large margin."

Gotcha.

o.O
    sorry its just a fact ..

right now .. More players of MMORPGs are using a Tab Target system than Action combat ..

What funny is that for some weird reason , it bothers or offends you
    Leiloni
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited March 2018
    I think @LacedOpium does not understand what tab target is. The games @Scorchien listed are all tab target. You can manually target but hitting tab also targets a mob , just because you never used tab target in those games does not make them NOT tab target.
    hallucigenocideScorchienPhryAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    action combat is a pretty silly thing to call it. besides that could pretty much mean anything

I had fun once, it was terrible.

cheyane said:
    I think @LacedOpium does not understand what tab target is. The games @Scorchien listed are all tab target. You can manually target but hitting tab also targets a mob , just because you never used tab target in those games does not make them NOT tab target.

If you can manually target, and play it in action combat mode, then its action combat.  Just because you can also tab target does not make it NOT action combat.  Perhaps I am the action combat type player and have, in fact, not played those in tab target mode.  That does not make those games tab target, and not action combat.  If they can also be played in action combat mode, then they are both.  Both are equally right depending on the players preference and game style.  If they are both, one can not be right about one, and not be right about the other.

AlBQuirky
    edited March 2018
    cheyane said:

If you can manually target, and play it in action combat mode, then its action combat.  Just because you can also tab target does not make it NOT action combat.  Perhaps I am the action combat type player and have, in fact, not played those in tab target mode.  That does not make those games tab target, and not action combat.  If they can also be played in action combat mode, then they are both.  Both are equally right depending on the players preference and game style.  If they are both, one can not be right about one, and not be right about the other.

Most of that list over 85% of it .. you must Tab Target .....................

Otherwise you will be reciueved with a system message

"You must have a target"
      " you have no Target"
      "To use that skill you need a a target"
    Leiloni
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

I disagree.  Granted, I can't speak for tab targeting because I never use it.  Its fuddy-duddy to me.  From an action combat perspective, most of that list, over 85% of it ... can be played in action combat ....................
    edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

I disagree.  Granted, I can't speak for tab targeting because I never use it.  Its fuddy-duddy to me.  From an action combat perspective, most of that list, over 85% of it ... can be played in action combat ....................
    really .............. which ones ..................  DC Universe, Dragon Nest ,Tree of Savior ...  ok now you tell me which others you are not selecting a target in ...

que :   Jeopardy music....................

edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

really .............. which ones ..................  DC Universe, Dragon Nest ,Tree of Savior ...  ok now you tell me which others you are not selecting a target in ...

As stated, most of them you can do both.  And going to the original point of this debate, that list is not indicative of the majority of MMORPGs on the entirety of the market utilizing tab targeting.  
    edited March 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

As stated, most of them you can do both.  And going to the original point of this debate, that list is not indicative of the majority of MMORPGs on the entirety of the market utilizing tab targeting.

lmao .. as stated you cant do both in almost any of them , you can do both in a few of them as in 4

And that list is exactly that it is most ceratinly indicative that the majority of players right now playing MMORPGs are using a Tab-Target system ..

Why does this bother you , its not a big deal , action combat as lot of catching up to do .. tab-Target has 20+ years under its belt of active games being played

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

lmao .. as stated you cant do both in almost any of them , you can do both in a few of them as in 4

And that list is exactly that it is most ceratinly indicative that the majority of players right now playing MMORPGs are using a Tab-Target system ..

Why does this bother you , its not a big deal , action combat as lot of catching up to do .. tab-Target has 20+ years under its belt of active games being played

Furthermore, it is not reflective of this post ...

Which was my original point.  

There is no evidence whatsoever that developers are actually starting to backtrack to tab targeting.  None.
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

There is no evidence whatsoever that developers are actually starting to backtrack to tab targeting.  None.
    the point you argued with me was ...  ""Also,Tab -Targeting is still used more in MMORPGs by a very large margin .. Its not even close  ""

I still stand by that and have proven that point ...
    Scorchien said:

the point you argued with me was ...  ""Also,Tab -Targeting is still used more in MMORPGs by a very large margin .. Its not even close  ""

I still stand by that and have proven that point ...

There are a whole mess of MMORPGs on the market.  I find it hard to believe that there are a lot more MMORPGs using tab targeting than action combat.  That said, you made your point.

We will just have to agree to disagree.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Darksworm said:

A lot of people confuse "dynamic combat" with "action combat" and a lot of companies make it seem like they are the same (for PR).  Making the game so that you have to pay attention and aren't just turreting from one spot is good.  This is doable with both tab targeting and "FPS-like" combat system.

That's, frankly, exactly what those games are implementing - in an attempt tot leach players from that genre due to the saturation of MMORPGs on the market spreading the core audience thin.

MMOs like ESO (to use another example) are nearly indistinguishable to me from FPS games.  They just require 10x as many buttons to play.  Why should I bother to play that when I can play Destiny II and get better PvE and still play PvP, for example?

And the Dodge fest that is GW2 has seen a lot of criticism from this.  The majority of your surviveability depends on how fast you can dodge, since even trash MOBs do inordinate amounts of HP.  It's literally all the game is about - anticipating and dodging.  They talk about this like it's what end-game gameplay is balanced around on their own website.

A non tab targeting system, at its core is about "not getting hit"/"blocking" and "hitting".

That's what's exciting about it. If you don't like it great, no reason you should. But that's what it's about.

Tab targeting is "not" more widely accepted by mmorpg players and by proof developers are going back to it.

"some developers are making old school games and are trying to recreate that old school feel.

But not many as there really aren't a lot of Western Mmorpg's being made at the moment.
    LacedOpiumAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited March 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Darksworm said:

A non tab targeting system, at its core is about "not getting hit"/"blocking" and "hitting".

Thank you Sovrath.  With that line, you have said it all in a nutshell.

Given the option of being able to do both in the same game, if you can do the above while in combat, its ACTION COMBAT.  The mere act of being able to tab from one mob to another does not, in and of itself, render it tab target if one is able to manually dodge, block, and hit while being mobile.  

Sovrath
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    How about when your act of blocking or dodging is tied to a dice roll. Meaning your actual physical skill of hitting a key on the keyboard has nothing to do with whether you get hit or not because the odds are calculated and then decided. So you might hit dodge and block with a shield but if the dice roll decides you missed you still get hit....what type category is that game in?
    Leiloni
    Chamber of Chains