Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studio "mortified" that folks are using their pay to reserve a name system to "troll" other players

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Their threshold for mortification is set pretty low. Boy are they in for a surprise when/if this game launches.
    KyleranSlapshot1188Blaze_RockerMadFrenchieKilrane
    Chamber of Chains
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Scot said:
    TEKK3N said:
    I don't think they should feel "mortified", this happens in every game, they cannot police this sort of behavior even though it is unpleasant.
    Welcome to the boards!
    Thank you!
    MadFrenchie
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    TEKK3N said:
    Scot said:
    TEKK3N said:
    I don't think they should feel "mortified", this happens in every game, they cannot police this sort of behavior even though it is unpleasant.
    Welcome to the boards!
    Thank you!
    Always nice to see new people join the party. 

But I hope you aren't as easily "mortified" as the COE Devs are.

(They rarely post here, it never ends well)

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Just to be clear, this does not need to be trolling in my book, this could be Investing. Securing Popular or Sought After names, and then Selling them to the people that would want them is a form of commerce in some of the MMO's I have played.

While no doubt a game like CoE which is built upon drama and subterfuge will have this more then say.. a typical adventure game. It should come as no surprise that this kind of thing will be done, as it is a part of the game itself, and should not be viewed as direct Trolling, until motives have been looked into.

Don't tell us... tell Caspien :)

He's the "mortified" one

What.. and spoil all the fun?

You don't know me well at all... 

Edit added: There is also the minor issue of not being a member of their forums or community, so.. I don't talk to them at all at this point. You have more clout then I do.. you tell him.
    I thought of joining their forum's but decided against, its their "tower" and they deserve a place they can dream in.

In the real world there are some harsh truths which are easier discussed elsewhere.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

IMHO just another example of extreme naivety.  I hope all the folks listening use this as a chance to legitimately discuss the serious issues their systems have (like OPCs...)

If they are "mortified" and having a "feeling of revulsion" around something as simple as reserving names.. wait until the real griefing starts.

Remember, this is one of their High Roller donors.

How are they going to respond when The Goons decide to come piss in their Cheerios?  It's their utter shock at the fact that people will ALWAYS find a way to abuse a system that is most concerning...

"Games are all about bringing happiness to others"?
    Utter naivety...

Oh I quite imagine at least some of this already is some Goon related fuckery.
    Thing is, Goons don't have a monopoly on this sort of behavior, and as someone mentioned above, grabbing other people or guilds names is a pretty common practice in MMOs and is even done to make money, and not just to troll.

Ungood

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If they're surprised that some trolls and griefers have lots of money just wait till they get hit with bots, gold sellers, and dupping which every new game says they will have under control but still gets hit hard with anyways.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Just to be clear, this does not need to be trolling in my book, this could be Investing. Securing Popular or Sought After names, and then Selling them to the people that would want them is a form of commerce in some of the MMO's I have played.

While no doubt a game like CoE which is built upon drama and subterfuge will have this more then say.. a typical adventure game. It should come as no surprise that this kind of thing will be done, as it is a part of the game itself, and should not be viewed as direct Trolling, until motives have been looked into.

He's the "mortified" one

Edit added: There is also the minor issue of not being a member of their forums or community, so.. I don't talk to them at all at this point. You have more clout then I do.. you tell him.
    I thought of joining their forum's but decided against, its their "tower" and they deserve a place they can dream in.

In the real world there are some harsh truths which are easier discussed elsewhere.

eh. No idea about this whole "tower" thing, but, for me it was simply a matter of not being a member, and not being overly involved in general. Since I am not a backer or a paid member, it feels like dorky to hound their forums.

But, as I see it, there will be a set amount of brutality they expect from players, it's a war game after all, so killing people, razing their cities to the ground, destroy their homes, and looting their vaults are all part of the game. Not to mention a good deal of back stabbing, deal breaking, and other underhanded tactics.. in game.

That is all well and good.

That line gets crossed pretty broadly, if someone poses as another player and then starts to sexually harass other players... that kind of stuff, yah.. if I was in their place, I'd ban them from the game, I'd ban their credit card, and any other forms of personal identification I had linked to them, abet, just the Credit Card info would be enough to ensure they never became a part of my game again, sine CoE requires the purchase of a Soul Spark to play, so there is no hiding behind a "free" account. In fact depending on how far they pushed the bar, I might go so far as to ban any all affiliates they had (IE: Family, Guild, Clan, ISP) depending on what kind of response I got form the rest of them as well.

So while a good amount of competitiveness is good, there is also people who go beyond the game.. and yes.. it needs to be made clear.. that shit won't fly.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

He's the "mortified" one

eh. No idea about this whole "tower" thing, but, for me it was simply a matter of not being a member, and not being overly involved in general. Since I am not a backer or a paid member, it feels like dorky to hound their forums.

But, as I see it, there will be a set amount of brutality they expect from players, it's a war game after all, so killing people, razing their cities to the ground, destroy their homes, and looting their vaults are all part of the game. Not to mention a good deal of back stabbing, deal breaking, and other underhanded tactics.. in game.

That line gets crossed pretty broadly, if someone poses as another player and then starts to sexually harass other players... that kind of stuff, yah.. if I was in their place, I'd ban them from the game, I'd ban their credit card, and any other forms of personal identification I had linked to them, abet, just the Credit Card info would be enough to ensure they never became a part of my game again, sine CoE requires the purchase of a Soul Spark to play, so there is no hiding behind a "free" account. In fact depending on how far they pushed the bar, I might go so far as to ban any all affiliates they had (IE: Family, Guild, Clan, ISP) depending on what kind of response I got form the rest of them as well.

So while a good amount of competitiveness is good, there is also people who go beyond the game.. and yes.. it needs to be made clear.. that shit won't fly.

None of that happened.  A guy tried to reserve a name that "belonged" to another player. He did this with the very first selection.  He had the ability to choose first because he paid the company tens of thousands of dollars.

The result was outrage and mortification.

Maybe they shouldn't have monetized their naming system and then everyone would have an equal shot at it.
    Octagon7711

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

He's the "mortified" one

None of that happened.  A guy tried to reserve a name that "belonged" to another player. He did this with the very first selection.  He had the ability to choose first because he paid the company tens of thousands of dollars.

Maybe they shouldn't have monetized their naming system and then everyone would have an equal shot at it.
    That would be posing as another player.. now wouldn't it? And yes.. they need to make it clear that kind of shit should not fly.

Your little Snippet about it being a fault of Monetizing the system has nothing to do with this, as everyone already knows people would do that kind of shit free, 10 times worse.. because.. well duh.. it's free.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    "Games are all about bringing happiness to others" 

As a hardcore pvper that is not why I play games, sure I want my friends, groupmates, and guildies to be happy, but only while we're crushing our enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women. 
    Blaze_RockerKyleran
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Games are all about bringing happiness to others; an escape from reality and an opportunity to live a life we could otherwise only dream about. 

Nah mate that's the sex industry. I know it's confusing with all the F'ing the customers involved with game development these days, but that's whole another industry. 
    KyleranMadFrenchieSpottyGekko
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

He's the "mortified" one

That would be posing as another player.. now wouldn't it? And yes.. they need to make it clear that kind of shit should not fly.

Your little Snippet about it being a fault of Monetizing the system has nothing to do with this, as everyone already knows people would do that kind of shit free, 10 times worse.. because.. well duh.. it's free.
    The game hasn't started yet. No characters exist yet.  He wasn't trying to imitate a staff member. 

It has EVERYTHING to do with monetization.  You yourself stated this in your first post:

Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/472034/studio-mortified-that-folks-are-using-their-pay-to-reserve-a-name-system-to-troll-other-players#Kb1fMA0TXiiggfLX.99

What makes Maulvorn more important than Smith, Drake or Violet?   If simply making a forum name = reserving your character name then why have the monetized naming selection? You can pick any name you want as long as nobody else on the forum already selected that name?  WTF? If that is the case then there is no point to the naming selection process as everyone has locked in names already.

This is going to repeat in the "land selection" phase which is also monetized.  People pick their land based on how much EP they bought or were given.  If my group has been posting about how we are all going to live together and some guys with more EP plop down in the middle of us and take the last open spots are they griefing us?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Alomar said:

As a hardcore pvper that is not why I play games, sure I want my friends, groupmates, and guildies to be happy, but only while we're crushing our enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women. 
    Just gonna ask this question, to give you something to think about.

Did it ever occur to you that if your opponent if not having fun facing you and yours, they would move on to another game, which means, Your victory simply ends up killing a game you enjoyed playing because everyone else left.

Seems like a Pyrrhic victory if you ask me.
    Blaze_RockerkjempffAlomarEponyxDamor

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Ahhh so it begins!   lmao

I mean who in the world could have seen this coming!!!!!!!
    Slapshot1188Blaze_Rocker

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

He's the "mortified" one

The game hasn't started yet. No characters exist yet.  He wasn't trying to imitate a staff member. 

It has EVERYTHING to do with monetization.  You yourself stated this in your first post:

Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/472034/studio-mortified-that-folks-are-using-their-pay-to-reserve-a-name-system-to-troll-other-players#Kb1fMA0TXiiggfLX.99

What makes Maulvorn more important than Smith, Drake or Violet?   If simply making a forum name = reserving your character name then why have the monetized naming selection? You can pick any name you want as long as nobody else on the forum already selected that name?  WTF? If that is the case then there is no point to the naming selection process as everyone has locked in names already.

This is going to repeat in the "land selection" phase which is also monetized.  People pick their land based on how much EP they bought or were given.  If my group has been posting about how we are all going to live together and some guys with more EP plop down in the middle of us and take the last open spots are they griefing us?

It can be a money making move, but that is also a form of trolling, often times money making moves are not to target other players, but to take sought after (yet not directly claimed) names, IE: Securing the name  Gandalf or Drizzt etc etc, but taking the name "Ungood" when you know that there is someone on the forums, who has invested into the game, who has the name "Ungood".. then yah.. you're an asshole, that should be denied, and this should be addressed by the staff to not allow people to do this.

Equally so, I may have the Forum Identity "Ungood" but have planned a Name like "Fahrenheit" for my main.

As I see it, and I am sure JW saw it, This was as a means to secure additional names you may want.. Like for Example, My Forum name is Ungood, but I also want to secure "Unguud", "Unbetter" and "Unbad" as well, and since I get first pick to make sure I get those names.

But it should have been clear this was not intended to be a tool to infringe on other players who have established identities among the forums and community already. IMHO It's was a noob move to not lock the forum names of paid backers, or contacted the KS backers personally, and asked them what name they wanted in game privately and locked those names in before any public name claims happened.

It has nothing to do with money, because if it was free, then the first person to log in would have done the same damn thing, and problem would have been much much worse, in this vein, the problem was very limited and controlled, in fact, doing it this way allowed them to control the floodgates of fuckery.

edited March 2018
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

He's the "mortified" one

It can be a money making move, but that is also a form of trolling, often times money making moves are not to target other players, but to take sought after (yet not directly claimed) names, IE: Securing the name  Gandalf or Drizzt etc etc, but taking the name "Ungood" when you know that there is someone on the forums, who has invested into the game, who has the name "Ungood".. then yah.. you're an asshole, that should be denied, and this should be addressed by the staff to not allow people to do this.

Equally so, I may have the Forum Identity "Ungood" but have planned a Name like "Fahrenheit" for my main.

As I see it, and I am sure JW saw it, This was as a means to secure additional names you may want.. Like for Example, My Forum name is Ungood, but I also want to secure "Unguud", "Unbetter" and "Unbad" as well, and since I get first pick to make sure I get those names.

But it should have been clear this was not intended to be a tool to infringe on other players who have established identities among the forums and community already. IMHO It's was a noob move to not lock the forum names of paid backers, or contacted the KS backers personally, and asked them what name they wanted in game privately and locked those names in before any public name claims happened.

It has nothing to do with money, because if it was free, then the first person to log in would have done the same damn thing, and problem would have been much much worse, in this vein, the problem was very limited and controlled, in fact, doing it this way allowed them to control the floodgates of fuckery.
    So the first guy that posted Drake on the forum has the right to that name in game?   There are 16000 paid backers.  Should they all have their forum names reserved? If that was the case then why sell name reservations?  

And you ignored the second part about land selection.  This is just a prelude.  When my group of 10 gets split up because someone else with more EP plops down in the middle of “our” land how mortified should we be?

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  If the over the top mortification about “name stealing” is indicative about future reactions then we should buy stock in TUMs, tissues and babywipes because that’s about as soft core as griefing can get.  

edited March 2018
    So the first guy that posted Drake on the forum has the right to that name in game?   There are 16000 paid backers.  Should they all have their forum names reserved? If that was the case then why sell name reservations?  

And you ignored the second part about land selection.  This is just a prelude.  When my group of 10 gets split up because someone else with more EP plops down in the middle of “our” land how mortified should we be?

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  If the over the top mortification about “name stealing” is indicative about future reactions then we should but stock in TUMs, tissues and babywipes because that’s about as soft core as griefing can get.  

To your First Question:

For Paid backers, Sure, why not, I mean, what's the big deal with reserving 16,000 names when games like GW2 have well over 6 million on file, and I shudder to think how many reserved names WoW has at this point. 

As for why have an open name, well, what if you wanted a different name, or more then one. To use my own example again, my Forum Name is "Ungood", but what if I plan to use "Fahrenheit" in game instead, Or yet again, what if I want to also want to secure "Unbad", "Unbetter", and "Unguud" just for the sake of ownership of naming convention on my part. What if I also wanted to buy ahead names like Do'Urden as a family name and sell that.

So yah it was kind of a dork move on their part to not have Forum names of their paid backers secured ahead of time, Much like most games will have a list if secured names for their staff and NPC's at launch, and often forum names linked to Character Accounts.

Some older games don't have a link, so you can still be vastly anonymous in them, IE: Forum name is Ungood, and Character name is Scratchfury Destroyer of Worlds, with nothing linking them, also some games are server limited, IE: Ungood on Server 1, is not the same as Ungood on Server 2.

More Modern MMO's have an unified ID, where an account name is the Character ID, like in GW2 for example, and I think a lot of players have come to expect this feature in new games coming out.

To your Second Question:

As for land.. that is a part of how the game works, that is a game of tactics and control, a largely the way the game should be played. Everything from splitting up teams to boxing in independents, that is how the game should be played, and if it was first come first serve, it would just be a speed race of who could log in the fastest. That's lame really.

Making tactical land control moves in a game about tactical land control, is what the game is about, we all walk in knowing this. Just like getting killed, stolen from, and all the other hostilities, those are part of the game, that is what we walk in accepting.

Stealing a Paid backers forum name in spite.. that's just douche-bag Troll move and has nothing to do with how the game should be played or the game mechanics.

Yah, JW has a bit to learn at how spiteful some players can be.. but all in all, it was better he did this way and found out at this pace, then opening the floodgates and seeing this fuckery roll on in by the bucket-full.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Ungood said:
    Alomar said:

Just gonna ask this question, to give you something to think about.

Did it ever occur to you that if your opponent if not having fun facing you and yours, they would move on to another game, which means, Your victory simply ends up killing a game you enjoyed playing because everyone else left.

Seems like a Pyrrhic victory if you ask me.
    Is that the PVPers dream? They are such badass they force everyone else to leave the game leaving them all alone as the victor?
    Alomar
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2018
    How is it even possible for someone to create a name to abuse or harass others? First of all the game is not out yet, they said, "If your surname does not meet the above requirements, it will be considered invalid, and you'll have to choose another surname." It's not like the game is playable, how can someone be harassed? What exactly are they doing?

They have rules implemented; the following comes from a link in an email that I received from CoE announcing the name reservation. Spelling and grammatical errors included lol.

Rules and Things to Note
    With the surname reservation and name generator tools we've provided are meant for you to creatively express yourself in the world of Elyria. But at the end of the day, we think it would be a poor player experience if vulgar words made it into the surname pool, as well as names that break the sense of immersion. So here are a few rules that are built into the surname reservation tool.

Cannot contain numerals
    Cannot have any leading or trailing space before or after the surname if there isn't a second word
    Cannot contain any symbols other than one apostrophe and/or one hyphen (example: Ba-twoon'ip)
    Can have at most one apostrophe and one hyphen
    There can be at most one space, max of two words (example: von Baschturen, Red Beard)
    May contain Extended Latin character set (a-z plus: À, Á, Â, Ã, Ä, Å, Æ, Ç, È, É, Ê, Ë,Í, Î, Ï, Ð, Ñ, Ò, Ó, Ô, Õ, Ö, Ø, Ù, Ú, Û, Ü, Ý, Þ, ß, à, á, â, ã, ä, å, æ, ç, è, é, ê, ë, ì, í, î, ï, ð, ñ, ò, ó, ô, õ, ö, ø, ù, ú, û, ü, ý, þ, ÿ, þ, µ)
    May contain at most two capital letters per word, one of which must be the first letter of the word (example: McDonald, Van Nuren, van Nuren)
    May not include any of the names or words in Soulbound Studios' surname exclusion list (profanity, copyrighted names, Caspian, etc.)
    If your surname does not meet the above requirements, it will be considered invalid, and you'll have to choose another surname.
    Surnames can be a maxumum of 25 characters, with no word larger than 16 characters
    You are not choosing a server, you are selecting a server in which you'd like to reserve your surname. Server selection is coming at a future date.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Anyone know what the actual name in question was?

It wasn't this guy, was it?

MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• drivecdrivec Member UncommonPosts: 104
    good for the devs. this show true dedication to anti trolling/greifing.  most game systems aren't perfect and being able to make a good system that is enjoyable but not exploitable isn't always easy. but if you take a firm stance on trolling/greifing/exploits players will be more likely to not when they know the devs will not tolerate it.
    mystichaze
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well they may have rules on naming practices but doesn't mean this very small team wants to actually police any of it's rules.What typically happens with issues is the players have to complain it is not the developer doing any effort at all.

Same thing happens with cheating,devs don't give a shit,players have to complain to get action.

It also goes a long way to box prices and sub fees,players not likely to be asshats if costing them a 100 bucks for the first month of play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    This isn't naivety, this is either showmanship of extreme retardation or purely intentional. If he thought this format of reservation was not gonna have any trolls, then I believe he needs a psych evaluation.

Though more than likely this was probably intentional, and was done so to prove their average high-roller needs that psych evaluation.

Although, according to ancient philosophers such as Plato and Socrates, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that both instances are true. 
    OrangeBoy said:
    This isn't naivety, this is either showmanship of extreme retardation or purely intentional. If he thought this format of reservation was not gonna have any trolls, then I believe he needs a psych evaluation.

Though more than likely this was probably intentional, and was done so to prove their average high-roller needs that psych evaluation.

Although, according to ancient philosophers such as Plato and Socrates, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that both instances are true. 
    I think what really surprised them was that a top tier backer would pull such a move.

They certainly know a jerk like me might try it.

;)
    ConstantineMerus

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    OrangeBoy said:

I think what really surprised them was that a top tier backer would pull such a move.

Why would that surprise them ?

Being a "top tier backer" only indicates how much money a player is prepared to spend on a game. It says nothing more, and most definitely does not imply a certain level of moral integrity, lol
    EponyxDamor