Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant recommend ESO

2»

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Dvora said:
    mbrodie said:
    Dvora said:
    Dvora said:
    Gorwe said:

ESO is a great story telling MMORPG.  If you don't mind reading and are into story telling MMORPGs, then ESO is for you.  It offers much more than story, of course, but story telling and its relevant quest lines are one of its strengths.  If you like dungeon crawling, the dungeons are pretty cool too.  If you don't like reading or quests, however, or find mindless game play or mob grinding fun, then you will obviously not like ESO.  ESO requires a bit of aforethought.  It is not for the shallow minded for sure.   
    Interesting. While I don't have anything against reading, it's my wish that when I play a game that I PLAY a game, not read stuff I could very well do in the downtime. SWTOR, Dragon Age: Origins and Vermintide ruined me. And I LOVE IT!

Therein lies your problem.

Its an MMORPG.  Telling a story while you PLAY the game IS the main objective of the game.
    eh no it's really not.  The main part of an mmo is the social and role playing aspects.  Stories are really much better suited to single player games, and the best mmo in the world could have no story at all and remain the best imo.

A good MMO by definition should be about the players making their own stories.

You are mistaking an MMORPG for a Sandbox.  An MMORPG takes you on a journey through a story.  You are merely an actor role playing a character in that story.  A secondary objective of role playing through the story line is progressing and developing your character as you journey through the story.

The main problem with gamers playing MMORPGs nowadays, is they do not know the definition of an MMORPG.  What you are describing is an MMO Sandbox, not an MMORPG.

you are mistaking a themepark single player game with other players around (what most mmo's lately are) for a real mmo.   What about cutscene says massively multiplayer?

Not saying and mmo can't have some backstory to get you started but for the most part that is single player features pasted into what an MMO really is about.  How can you really even have any sort of a believable story in an mmo?

Congrats you wiped out the wolves and saved the town...  Ooops there they are again!  You killed the Evil Lord Nutjob, wait no, hes back!  Stories in mmo's are so overblown wasted and useless for a high percentage of players in mmos.  
    I mean I feel like you keep saying MMO like it has some grand higher meaning and you’re trying to avoid the whole RPG thing which MMO is just a pretext to what the game actually is

MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online (basically means nothing but a lot of people connected in the same place at the same time one could almost say the O doesn’t belong here)

RPG - Role Playing Game (This is what the game actually is)

ORPG - Online Roleplaying Game (This is what most current MMORPGS actually are)

The MM part of the whole thing doesn’t make the game something different than what it essentially is, which is an rpg
    I guess you missed the part about sandboxy MMORPG's usually having the best role playing communities.  I'm not saying an mmo cant have both, just that the stories dont make the mmo, the players make the mmo, and the real stories that make them good.
    I missed nothing, but even some of the most sandbox MMORPGs still have a storyline attached regardless of how grand or meaningless it is.

Because at their heart they are still RPGs and pretty much all RPGs since forever have been about you playing a character in a story generally the hero of the story and you’re on a big adventure.

you keep saying “role playing” as if it’s some cornerstone of RPGs but any single player RPGs don’t have you role playing, you might do some in tabletop rpgs... but physical role playing has never been a cornerstone of an RPG title, it’s something new that you can do since you’re online with other players.

Also you’re talking about different subsets of the MMORPG Genre, like Themepark, Sandbox, Hybrids etc... so again that doesn’t relate to ALL MMORPGs but all of them have access to a tool like role playing, all you need is a chat box really.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Verenath said:
    No system specs listed.
    No list of the fixes you've tried.

These items are the basic starting points for a thread of this type.

The OP wasn't looking for a solution, just wanted to complain.
    KyleranJeleenaLacedOpium
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited March 2018
    This is the second thread I read today, and both I would call "game attacks."  The only purpose as I can tell is to ruin the business these games are doing, possibly with the hope that they go P4F.  MMORPG is becoming the place to go, to demonetize a game.
    Post edited by Konfess on
    LacedOpium

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Darksworm said:
    Albatroes said:
    This must be very important to you to talk about with that 32 post count. Seems like around a million people have a reason to play it. Personally, I still can't get over it not having a global AH but to each their own.

I'm still astounded that they don't have this.  This makes it such an awful experience to participate the market.  There's nothing worse than being forced to join "another" guild (and many of them have "membership fees") just to have decent market access.  Not to mention traversing the in-game world in search of Guild Merchants.

I will say that I got a lot of disconnects playing this game.  This was mostly the PC version.  Ping goes to 400+, and I go LD.  Or I crash straight to desktop.  Sometimes I just get logged out to character select.  It happened a lot - too much, actually.

Don't think I noticed any graphical glitches, per se.  Maybe once or twice I got a black screen and had to Alt-F4 out of the game, but it wasn't something that I would classify as common or even occasionally.  Rare would be more appropriate.

As far as the gameplay, I'd only play it if you wanted something with a lot of content for solo gameplay, with some group stuff and PvP available.  They aren't calling their game an MMORPG, anyways.  They're calling it a "Multiplayer RPG."  Still a vague description, but more appropriate.  Doing things yourself is a huge component of the game.  The questing is still incredibly generic, and lacks in dynamics (compared to something like Guild Wars 2, for example).

I always recommend GW2 to new players, becuae their base game is free to play, and you can't play this game seriously without a subscription, anyways.  Inventory space is at a premium.  It pretty much is why 90% of people are subscribing to the game (otherwise buying the DLC as they release is cheaper and you control your spending better - though catching up on content releases at this point is a sizeable investment).

The only credible criticism mentioned in the above post was the AH.  Since the game's release it has been a hotly debated matter and I think many would agree that it could use a revamp.  I can't speak to the crashing since I haven't experienced it, and judging by how packed the game is, I would guess many others have not as well, but I won't be too critical since the majority should only be thankful in that regard. 

Now to the fourth paragraph of your post.  This paragraph describes GW2 to a "T"  so to say that you would recommend GW2 to new players but not ESO is not only funny, but transparently disingenuous.  The quests in ESO are all voice acted, presented in a unique story telling mode, and each has a mini mob boss villain to battle at the end of each quest, and it all fits in nicely with the overall main story in the game.  They are anything but generic

One becomes quite familiar with ESOs characters as you repeatedly come into contact with them throughout the story.  And these are side quests we're talking about, not the main story line.  In fact, there is no other MMORPG, outside of Secret World, that even rivals ESOs quests and story telling.  If you haven't realized that, I doubt you've actually read, or followed, the quests. 

That's because you clearly cannot read.

1. Quest Presentation in ESO is the same as it was in FFXIV 1.0 - FFXIV has voice acted quests and cut scenes, as well.  The quests themselves are generic EQ2/WoW-like quests.  If you can't see this, then I'm forced to believe that you have played no other MMORPGs but ESO in your lifetime.  Everyone knows this.  This is true for almost all MMORPGs released post EQ2/WoW.  The difference in GW2 is the dynamics of questing, how group friendly the leveling experience is, etc.  It's easier to level cooperatively in GW2 than in ESO.  There is less Hubbing of quests than in ESO.  There are more dynamic events in the zones than in ESO.  The pacing is completely difference, and the variety is higher. Than in ESO.

The statement that there is a boss villain to battle at the end of each quest is a complete fabrication.  I'm not sure where you got that from.

2.  I recommend GW2 to new players because it's an economically sound, and time and money-efficient recommendation.

It makes complete sense for anyone to recommend GW2 over ESO, unless they simply have a huge bias for ESO, simply due to the fact that it is a $0 buy-in.  No one will tell a friend to spend money when they can NOT spend money.  Doing this would be selfish: Wasting their IRL resources simply to "improve" your own personal gaming experience.

ESO needs a trial.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited March 2018
    Darksworm said:
    Darksworm said:
    Albatroes said:
    This must be very important to you to talk about with that 32 post count. Seems like around a million people have a reason to play it. Personally, I still can't get over it not having a global AH but to each their own.

I'm still astounded that they don't have this.  This makes it such an awful experience to participate the market.  There's nothing worse than being forced to join "another" guild (and many of them have "membership fees") just to have decent market access.  Not to mention traversing the in-game world in search of Guild Merchants.

I will say that I got a lot of disconnects playing this game.  This was mostly the PC version.  Ping goes to 400+, and I go LD.  Or I crash straight to desktop.  Sometimes I just get logged out to character select.  It happened a lot - too much, actually.

Don't think I noticed any graphical glitches, per se.  Maybe once or twice I got a black screen and had to Alt-F4 out of the game, but it wasn't something that I would classify as common or even occasionally.  Rare would be more appropriate.

As far as the gameplay, I'd only play it if you wanted something with a lot of content for solo gameplay, with some group stuff and PvP available.  They aren't calling their game an MMORPG, anyways.  They're calling it a "Multiplayer RPG."  Still a vague description, but more appropriate.  Doing things yourself is a huge component of the game.  The questing is still incredibly generic, and lacks in dynamics (compared to something like Guild Wars 2, for example).

I always recommend GW2 to new players, becuae their base game is free to play, and you can't play this game seriously without a subscription, anyways.  Inventory space is at a premium.  It pretty much is why 90% of people are subscribing to the game (otherwise buying the DLC as they release is cheaper and you control your spending better - though catching up on content releases at this point is a sizeable investment).

The only credible criticism mentioned in the above post was the AH.  Since the game's release it has been a hotly debated matter and I think many would agree that it could use a revamp.  I can't speak to the crashing since I haven't experienced it, and judging by how packed the game is, I would guess many others have not as well, but I won't be too critical since the majority should only be thankful in that regard. 

Now to the fourth paragraph of your post.  This paragraph describes GW2 to a "T"  so to say that you would recommend GW2 to new players but not ESO is not only funny, but transparently disingenuous.  The quests in ESO are all voice acted, presented in a unique story telling mode, and each has a mini mob boss villain to battle at the end of each quest, and it all fits in nicely with the overall main story in the game.  They are anything but generic

One becomes quite familiar with ESOs characters as you repeatedly come into contact with them throughout the story.  And these are side quests we're talking about, not the main story line.  In fact, there is no other MMORPG, outside of Secret World, that even rivals ESOs quests and story telling.  If you haven't realized that, I doubt you've actually read, or followed, the quests. 

That's because you clearly cannot read.

1. Quest Presentation in ESO is the same as it was in FFXIV 1.0 - FFXIV has voice acted quests and cut scenes, as well.  The quests themselves are generic EQ2/WoW-like quests.  If you can't see this, then I'm forced to believe that you have played no other MMORPGs but ESO in your lifetime.  Everyone knows this.  This is true for almost all MMORPGs released post EQ2/WoW.  The difference in GW2 is the dynamics of questing, how group friendly the leveling experience is, etc.  It's easier to level cooperatively in GW2 than in ESO.  There is less Hubbing of quests than in ESO.  There are more dynamic events in the zones than in ESO.  The pacing is completely difference, and the variety is higher. Than in ESO.

The statement that there is a boss villain to battle at the end of each quest is a complete fabrication.  I'm not sure where you got that from.

2.  I recommend GW2 to new players because it's an economically sound, and time and money-efficient recommendation.

It makes complete sense for anyone to recommend GW2 over ESO, unless they simply have a huge bias for ESO, simply due to the fact that it is a $0 buy-in.  No one will tell a friend to spend money when they can NOT spend money.  Doing this would be selfish: Wasting their IRL resources simply to "improve" your own personal gaming experience.

ESO needs a trial.

In other words, you haven't played ESO.  This is easily distinguishable by your comparing ESOs quests to those in EQ2 and WoW.  ESOs quests are nothing like the quests in EQ2 or WoW.  Again, the only game with better quests than ESO is Secret World.  You may not like their quests, which would not be a surprise because judging by your posts I doubt you even read quests, but that is a fact not worth debating.  

Regarding GW2, I won't go into specifics about addressing any of your GW2 points.  Not only because I do not make it a custom to hate on games that others may be enjoying, but because none of those points make for a better game.  They are just a matter of preference in gaming.  You prefer GW2s bland and generic manner of questing and leveling, others prefer something different.    

Look, I get it.  You don't like ESO.  That's cool.  No game is made for everyone.  The only reason I respond to some of the criticisms on this forum about the game is because I play the game and know they are blatantly untrue.  I simply post to correct the record.  ESO has legitimate flaws.  Criticize those and quit it with the blatant baseless and untrue criticisms.  It is obvious that based on your empty assertions of the game, that you have either never played it, or played it for a very short period of time, before dropping it and going on your little campaign of hatred of it.  

• HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited March 2018
    I can recommand TESO for the storyline the immersion and sometimes for the RvR but not for the RP the freedom (or the DLC) Actually trying to play TESO on Linux (lol fun challenge)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I just learned that in a single player RPG you don't roleplay, soon these games will simply be known as Gs I guess. I could get serious and talk about a distinction between predefined roles and self determined but I am still too stumped to think straight by this wisdom...

Also at the OP, its your rig. But I am pretty sure you already knew that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    YashaX
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer